monkeysarefun

Darkly Labs emblaser - affordable laser cutter - review

Hi @monkeysarefun, on the Darkly Labs forum (and I think, here) you showed us how you carved some panels in wood using your Emblaser and Laserweb. Have you tried this with Lightburn, and if you did, can you let me know how you got on?

I can’t comment on the Emblaser, but Lightburn is my go-to with my K40 CO2.

atb

Simon

Thanks everyone, I think I could have explained it better. I do use Lightburn myself (I move directly from Vetrics Cut-2D and find it’s brilliant), but I was wondering more about the carving side of things. Here’s the post I was looking at, monkeysarefun was using a laser web for his tests and I was wondering if he has tried in Lightburn.

Edited by JCL

LightBurn is excellent for these 'depth engravings' or carving.

They have just added a bunch of image manipulation properties that let you tweak your image to get better depth results. Select the image, right-click, and pick 'Show Properties'.

I just ran a rough test and attached some photos below.

Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 12.51.59 pm.png

IMG_9970.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JCL said:

Thanks everyone, I think I could have explained it better. I do use Lightburn myself (I move directly from Vetrics Cut-2D and find it’s brilliant), but I was wondering more about the carving side of things. Here’s the post I was looking at, monkeysarefun was using a laser web for his tests and I was wondering if he has tried in Lightburn.

I didn't try it using  Lightburn. I got as far as installing Lightburn  but I've been distracted for the last 12 months or so with 3D printing so the laser cutter hasn't had much use lately, hoping to get it out again over the Christmas break unless I'm on fire like the rest of NSW.

I imagine it would be much easier to do the 3D style carving using Lightburn  though than when I used the previous software (I forget what its called, sorry - that opensource programme.... you know what I mean!)

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thank you. In that case, I’ll give it a go and report back. :)

• Like 1

I've not had a chance to work on the 'carving', but a change in plans means I have been able to have a go at cutting on slate - and it's really easy and satisfying. I used 5mm/sec, 90% and 1 pass. The slate below took about 8 hours, but I worked out a lot of this was inefficiency of the program - the laser goes from the left hand side of the first letter to the right hand side of the last letter, and when you get to, say, the top of the letters in 'Cutting' it traverses between the left of the C to the right of the dot on the i. By splitting this up, there is much less traversal. To get over this, I split the word garden into 'Gar' and 'den', which saved me about an hour.

One more thing, I knocked the machine at one point and the slate moved without me realising it. Some sandpaper on the 'den' erased the mistake, and I'm assuming that once I've varnished it the smooth area will disappear (although it's already much less noticeable in real life).

Anyway, I'm really pleased with it, as will my wife be in a couple of days when she opens it. I know I'm ok putting this up as there's no chance she'll see it. ;)

Merry Christmas.

IMG_4446.JPG.de5370ccafede5506991457774f7d85d.JPG

• Like 6

It is game over with my Emblaser 2 at the moment, I had been cutting through 2mm MDF in three passes, then after a while it began to struggle and even six was only just getting through, so time for a clean up before cutting the final piece. Took the lens out to find it has burnt in the middle!

49533345723_00cc4aa1e0_c.jpg

Mine is a version 1 E2 with the two part lens and it looks like the adhesive in between the two lenses has burnt, so now scrap. Ordered a one piece Quartz lens from Darkley along with the V2 assembly which should make lens cleaning a whole lot easier and less fiddly. Once it arrives it will be interesting to see if there is any performance improvement with the new lens.

Martin

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Very interesting!

(I confess my E2 has still never been powered up!) 

Commiserations though!

Edited by Giles
  • Agree 1

My new lens and unit arrived today.

49547934736_e2244e2660_c.jpg

Before I installed it thought it best to give it a clean!

49548163062_a5666399e0_c.jpg

Unscrewed the fan and found these airbrush cleaning brushes useful.

49547934771_87c4a9a8e5_c.jpg

The extractor fan looked in a bit of a mess.

49548163262_f1f6e54a86_c.jpg

Surprising what came out of that.

49548163277_6da8aef632_c.jpg

I then fitted the new lens and ran the focus wizard. Wow what a difference.

Previously I was needing 3 passes with air to cut through 2mm MDF, sometimes needing a fourth to be sure. Now only needs two passes with no air, in fact it looked like one pass was doing it. So did a couple of test shapes after on one pass and it very nearly cut right through, but it was enough so I could still push the shapes out. May well try a one pass again with air, or drop the speed to 2.5mm/sec and see what happens.

At the moment very pleased.

Photo of the underside showing the result of one pass.

49548070616_eb528932d3_c.jpg

Martin

• Like 5

That looks quite spectacular performance! May I ask how much the new lense assembly costs?

The dust in the laser fan does show that the extraction is not capable of moving the air sufficiently well (for a few possible reasons...)

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Giles said:

That looks quite spectacular performance! May I ask how much the new lense assembly costs?

The dust in the laser fan does show that the extraction is not capable of moving the air sufficiently well (for a few possible reasons...)

Giles,

Lens, prism assembly and shipping = £159.63

VAT, duty and DHL fee = £58.08

Total = £217.71

I have a lot of cutting to do today, so will be a good test.

Will look into converting to a bigger extractor fan at some point.

Martin

• Informative/Useful 1

On 18/02/2020 at 20:43, Greengiant said:

Giles,

Lens, prism assembly and shipping = £159.63

VAT, duty and DHL fee = £58.08

Total = £217.71

I have a lot of cutting to do today, so will be a good test.

Will look into converting to a bigger extractor fan at some point.

Martin

Hmmm, might have to get on of those. Been sidetracked by the Photon 3D printer for the last year or so  but I'd like to get the Emblaser2  out from under the pile of stuff and fire it up again!

So far very pleased with the new lens, generally getting through in just two passes, although I have found out that not all 2mm MDF is indeed 2mm, some is as thick as 2.4mm!

Lens cleaning is so much easier and faster and really no need to check focus afterwards, although I have been and it has not budged.

I have been using up some of the scrap bits and using the inbuilt camera to help aligning of some of the odd shaped bits and cut some 7mm industrial windows...

49597066036_b8293f2fbd_c.jpg

...and some 16mm scale large industrial windows for a potential new project.

49596568898_1eba53d774_c.jpg

Martin

Edited by Greengiant
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4