THE SIDINGS - Recreating the modern scene in a small space.

Nick G

How did you do those bufferstops?

Steve, they were scratch built by a friend of mine who is a talented builder in the model boat world. All done from photos and based on the Rawie  Type 4 ZEB/6 friction buffer stop at York parcel sidings. I painted them.

post-7968-0-63351200-1460404368.jpg

post-7968-0-95110400-1460404377.jpg

post-7968-0-60695200-1460404402_thumb.jpg

post-7968-0-58136100-1460404412_thumb.jpg

post-7968-0-61357800-1460404437_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well it gives you an idea, you can probably find similar looking regular electrical relay cabinets more square-on and do the same with.

But at the end of day, if so few know what should really be inside there .. who can say it's wrong :)

Agreed, but I'm one who can!

Only just seen this layout and I like the idea of an open door location case (loc for short). FYI the two photos in cromptonnut's post are actually telecoms cabinets: you can tell by the thick door which contains all the air-conditioning kit. You might be able to get some suitable images from one of the signalling manufacturers' web sites.

Paul.

Thanks Nick!

Someone needs to do a kit or RTR version of them as they quite common. Maybe your friend could a "How you" article for one of the mags? I'm sure the DEMU Update editor would be glad of it!

steve

• RMweb Gold

Try this:

http://www.hwilliams.co.uk/railways-s-c-signalling-crossings/loc-power-cubicle/

Ignore the power bay at the end, but you might be able to manipulate the view through the double doors. It's not particularly full, but is a good example of a current loc case internal design.

Paul.

• Like 1

Really like the simplicity of your design Nick, and looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.

Have a couple of ideas for further minor details, as it seems primarily for loco stabling have you thought of adding an "authorised walking route" for the crews? Often just a gravel path inside wooden stays to keep the ballast separate, with wooden walkways across the track (usually covered with yellow anti slip matting, akin to shed roof material).

Also with the superb GSM-R mast, some signs for loco's departing with the local GSM-R registration information (and maybe NRN area info too)?

Just a thought anyway. Cracking modelling Nick!

Cheers,

Martyn.

Edited by Signaller69

Thanks Martyn

Also with the superb GSM-R mast, some signs for loco's departing with the local GSM-R registration information (and maybe NRN area info too)?

Something like this?  

post-7968-0-61861100-1462629861.jpg

Google image search throws up several images, not shared them on here in case it breaches rules?

GSM-R signs are quite small, often blue background with white "GSM-R" and local network number, though there are different ones when passing into, out of or different coverage areas.