SouthernMafia's Projects & Portland - a 'what might have been' NSE layout in Dorset

SouthernMafia

All been a bit quiet on Portland lately due to various things but mainly lack of spare time!

However, I'm moving flats soon (to somewhere that cuts my commute by about 75% giving me back at least 2 hours a day, hurrah!)

To assist in the move, not all the layout is coming with me (yet) so two boards have been shifted back to the parents gaff for the time being. The station mini board and main board 1 will come with me where it is hoped that scenic work will progress at a lightening rate ready for Basingstoke in March....hmmm!

In the meantime I've been thinking about building and infrastructure placement and the fuel sidings (that were never designed to be fuel sidings but have turned into fuel sidings) just weren't sitting right for me. I played around with some wagons and settled on this:

post-8166-0-68027100-1500587760.jpg

post-8166-0-90038100-1500587782.jpg

The siding on the left will be slewed over to run more parallel to the siding on the right, and fuel depot bits and tanks will then be added. This gives me a bit more space and looks much more on purpose.

I've also bought a model bus that will fit well on the station forecourt. This will be detailed and weathered with passengers and maybe even an open door, and I'll change the destination to '22A Portland Bill', which I've seen in a photograph so taking to be correct...?

post-8166-0-39508200-1500587791.jpg

Lastly my modern image modeller self got the better of me and I've accidentally bought a Colas 60 to go with all the other locos I really don't need. But it does look rather nice. Obviously I had to stage a scene or two...

post-8166-0-86315400-1500587800.jpg

60087 and 60007 on shed

post-8166-0-44456600-1500587813.jpg

60087 on ballast duties at Portland.

• Like 12

Yeah the photo of the bus is on Flickr with I believe Portland Bill on it. However, it will look out of place with the era you are modelling. First buses were new back then (well, atleast one pf the double deckers hasnt been renovated since the 80s).

Yeah the photo of the bus is on Flickr with I believe Portland Bill on it. However, it will look out of place with the era you are modelling. First buses were new back then (well, atleast one pf the double deckers hasnt been renovated since the 80s).

Thanks, when would this bus have been suitable from? I figured mid 90s to late 90s which I will also be running.

Otherwise I was going to get one of these, which is seen here at Weymouth in 1993:

post-8166-0-34046800-1500642558_thumb.png

Unfortunately I haven't found an accurate Southern National model of this yet, only Western National ones I think in full green otherwise this one is the most simlar: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292172665388

In terms of route numbers, I've seen 1, 22A and 501, are all these acceptable?

• Like 2

To be honest i'm no bus spotter, so can't be too accurate, however researching Portland for 5 years has gotten me some info!

Brian Jacksons book of "The Isle Of Portland Vol. 3 road transport is mainly about buses and will most likely feature that. I say most likely because its at hoke and i'm currently on holiday! will comment it when I get back.

Good luck for the move!

Thanks, when would this bus have been suitable from? I figured mid 90s to late 90s which I will also be running.

Otherwise I was going to get one of these, which is seen here at Weymouth in 1993:

attachicon.gif20170721_140828.png

Unfortunately I haven't found an accurate Southern National model of this yet, only Western National ones I think in full green otherwise this one is the most simlar: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292172665388

Southern National had two versions of this livery. the 'Dorset' version shown in the photo, and the 'Somerset' version which the EFE model is based on. The latter had two green bands, the former also had a green roof. Either would be suitable for a layout based in Weymouth/Portland as they did occasionally swap territory! EFE have also done a Leyland National bus in the same livery, and a Plaxton Paramount coach, so along with the Olympian you've already purchased there is scope for a nice small fleet in that livery.

So far as route numbers are concerned, 22A is the original Southern National Portland route number, up to the early 1970's. When NBC merged SN with Western National, Portland routes were renumbered to the 42X series, anything from 422 to 428 being common depending on route and destination. When Southern National returned in 1983, Weymouth - Portland became route 1, with variants such as 1A.  However 501 is also correct - that was the open top service to Portland Bill - which EFE also model a version of, in a yellow/blue/red livery which is correct for most of the 90's from memory, and would be another good addition!

Finally, Smiths of Portland operated buses from a garage very close to where the old Portland Station was, including some very old Bristol RELL's until the late 90's, bought from Western National and operated in that livery (Blue/Cream/Red stripes) minus the branding for some years - google Smiths of Portland RELL and you should get some decent photos - these would very local to the model. Again, EFE did a model in that livery, with Western National Branding, which would be appropriate.

Hope that helps

David

• 1 month later...

A busy period moving my life from Hampshire to Berkshire means modelling has been restricted recently, however I am now settled into the new flat, and in the past week the small station board has also made the trip to its new home. The idea is that by only bringing the small board I will be forced to work on it instead of play trains...in theory

Whilst physical modelling has yet to commence, digital modelling has been in full swing in preparation for some upcoming laser cutting. The station building has taken priority, and the 2D files have been produced.

In the meantime I decided to design the Parcels depot, and a mock up may well follow. I hope to also have this laser cut.

As mentioned previously, this building is loosely based on the one at Southampton Central...

post-8166-0-30391400-1505335806.jpg

post-8166-0-04725700-1505335820_thumb.jpg

post-8166-0-12194300-1505335824_thumb.jpg

More soon....(he says)

• Like 5

attachicon.gif20170721_140828.png

I think T reg was August 1978 to 1979

• 3 weeks later...

After being away on holiday I have returned to the Winchester club room to find the first stages of Portland's station building waiting for me. One of our members owns a laser cutter and is kindly assisting me in the project. These are the "bases" of the building, ie the main structure. On top of this will be similarly sized Wills dressed stone sheets, also being laser cut. These will interlock with the window and door frames, as well the corner stones.

The plastic pieces have yet to be cut, but this is what I'm working on today.

post-8166-0-82234200-1507213647_thumb.jpg

post-8166-0-27101700-1507213651_thumb.jpg

post-8166-0-82776500-1507213654_thumb.jpg

post-8166-0-12935100-1507213933.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah i'm still here and still loving the layouts progress, some houses are being built right next to the line on the Portland Castle side but besides that the trackbed is still a great walk! Have you ever been down to Portland and seen the old station site?

Yeah i'm still here and still loving the layouts progress, some houses are being built right next to the line on the Portland Castle side but besides that the trackbed is still a great walk! Have you ever been down to Portland and seen the old station site?

Pleased you're enjoying the progress, it's slow and steady but coming along. I hope to have some major scenic works complete for the Basingstoke show in March.

I've only been to Portland once when I was much younger, and it certainly wasn't a model railway recce trip! But i do recall the roundabout and sculpture thing where the station once was, although at the time I didn't realise this is where the station was.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

With more lasers than a 90s rave, I have a station building and parcels depot.

The roof is temporary as I need to work out the angles for the middle bit, hence the apparent short bit. Frustratingly, the Wills sheets are not long enough for the middle bit and so I need to devise a way of concealing the joins

post-8166-0-16053700-1508595082_thumb.jpg

post-8166-0-82355500-1508595076_thumb.jpg

This was the first bit I did, and experimented with some fine filler and then a grey primer to see how it looked. Generally pleased, but will take a while to do the rest of the gaps!

post-8166-0-14967100-1508595086_thumb.jpg

Parcels depot:

post-8166-0-42260400-1508595089_thumb.jpg

post-8166-0-75657900-1508595093_thumb.jpg

A slight mis-calculation in the laser file means I need to redo a small fascia piece. The white stuff is 2 x 5mm foamboard glued and laminated with 1mm ply.

post-8166-0-38638900-1508595097_thumb.jpg

post-8166-0-74765300-1508595109_thumb.jpg

post-8166-0-45897100-1508595123_thumb.jpg 

Rather impressed with how its gone together, and you'd struggle to get such clean straight lines with a knife. My thanks to Roger Stonham for his help and time with cutting of the components. Windows and doors have also been cut and this is the next job, along with white primer and painting for the parcels depot.

Edited by SouthernMafia
  • Like 11

• 1 month later...

Just to prove that there is infact some work going on on the actual layout itself...

Have been mulling over adding a second carriage siding for a while. Had the point ready built from years ago, just so happened to fit perfectly. Bit of embankment cutting back to become a cliff face and things are coming along. Polyfilla to be added to the front to give it a bit more of a rock appearance and then plaster some paint on it. 

post-8166-0-95766600-1511541730_thumb.jpg

post-8166-0-30059000-1511541713_thumb.jpg

post-8166-0-57003400-1511541718_thumb.jpg

Both sidings will take 5 Mk1 coaches (when board 4 receives the same treatment), which is going to make operating even more entertaining.

Still not sure what's going on top of the embankment cliff, probably a load of greenery, a footpath and a discard shopping trolley.

Also decided on the final alignment for the fuel siding, which is to remain one siding and will be fenced off neatly with pumps and pipes to be added soon (hopefully). A bit of realignment of the turnout in the foreground to become more Y shaped has provided me a bit more space to achieve this. The second siding will become a general siding, thinking some dropside wagons (OCA etc) with depot stores, used sleeper chairs etc etc)

post-8166-0-74293900-1511541723_thumb.jpg

As the layout remains at the parents gaff progress is limited to when I can get home, but some annual leave this week has given the opportunity to sort it out a bit. Don't expect a huge improvement from the current state for Basingstoke in March, but at least I'll have a few buildings and a couple of extra sidings to play with! Maybe some proper signalling too, who knows the layout might even work still...

• Like 10

• 2 months later...

Things on Portland have been continuing despite no updates on this thread. The Basingstoke show is a mere 6 weeks away and as usual I'm starting to panic a bit around how much there is still to do. Luckily, the layout moves up to our clubroom this week, allowing it to be worked on in its fully exhibitable state. Some strategic time off work will hopefully allow a good couple of weeks of solid progress to take place to get the layout ready for the show. I will hopefully be in a better position to update with progress on the layout in the next few weeks, as a lot of the things I have been working on are nearly finished, just not finished enough to show here just yet!

In the meantime, I have also been working on some stock. Installing DCC sound and de-chassis-blocking a Bachmann 150 has been the main project, which is almost there. I've also been working on improving the running of my Hornby VEP, and seem to have a successful 8-VEP set-up with the standard Hornby motor in one unit only, the other being de-motored. This week, I've been distracted by my Dapol 73, of which some advice was required and so a post made to the Dapol Class 73 saga thread, copied below:

Following a thorough read of this thread and an impending show I decided to tackle my Intercity 73102 properly.

I had previously corrected the lower Intercity white to beige and also changed the roof colour some months ago from black. However I didn't touch the bodyside black or warning panel yellow as I thought I could live with it.

After leaving the model alone for a while, I decided to tackle the pickups this week using Temeraire's method and am pleased to report much smoother and reliable running.

I then also had to sort out my DCC sound installation as I had a vibration caused by the speaker rattling on the cab/headcode wiring when the body was on (custom build speaker enclosure which I made too tall!)

Annoyingly in sorting this out, I've chipped away some of the paint on the roof, so this needs redoing. Also a number of grilles popped out, and my not very careful gluing needs covering up.

I then thought, I may as well correct the black whilst I am here, so the model is currently masked up awaiting spraying.

I know that the black should be executive dark grey, but what colour was the roof? 

Pictures on Flickr seem to show various different colours which is most likely down to weathering/lighting/camera, but does anyone know what it should be? If its also Exec Dark Grey this is a great help as the airbrush only needs to be filled once!

I will then attack the warning panel yellow, and also thinking of adding a Replica headlight to each end to model a loco from around 1991 with the orange cantrail too. 73103 seems a good candidate as it is unnamed and remained in Intercity livery for the duration of my modelling period.

post-8166-0-05568200-1517174640_thumb.jpg

Note I have ambitiously masked the double arrows in hope I don't need to buy any transfers! The printed nameplates have yet to be rubbed away.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Do you have any pictures of your improved class 150 chassis? I have one which I need to improve this year and haven’t quite decided how I am going to set about doing it yet

I’ve never thought about masking a logo like that, will be interesting to hear how well it worked

Edited by The Fatadder

Do you have any pictures of your improved class 150 chassis? I have one which I need to improve this year and haven’t quite decided how I am going to set about doing it yet

I’ve never thought about masking a logo like that, will be interesting to hear how well it worked

Hi Rich,

I don't at the moment but I will get some done soon. It's a lot easier than I thought. I was working on fitting a lighting decoder to a dummy 150 which will enable 2x150s to run on my layout together (as great an idea as consisting is, I can never get it to work properly!) 

I've been somewhat distracted by other things so the 150 has been sidelined.

The masking is actually quite simple, 3mm and 6mm tamiya masking tape laid lengthways over the logo, and the bits that shouldn't be there are very carefully removed with a sharp scalpel and ruler. Fiddly but hopefully it will work!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rich

Pretty sure the roof of the 73 is the same as the upper body sides, and certainly is on mine with no adverse comments so far! Glad the pickups worked. Hope to see you at Basingstoke let me know if you need any help.

• Like 2

Hi Rich

Pretty sure the roof of the 73 is the same as the upper body sides, and certainly is on mine with no adverse comments so far! Glad the pickups worked. Hope to see you at Basingstoke let me know if you need any help.

Cheers Ian, like you say I don't think it matters, especially by the time it's weathered !

Yes do say hello at Basingstoke.

Would love some recorded footage on the layout in operation at the exhibition. Sadly I can't attend due to money being tight (for travel costs mainly) but I still want to see this run! ;)

I will see what I can do! It's difficult to get decent videos with punters around but I will try hard on Sunday morning to get some footage. One thing I regret about Brockenhurst was not taking enough photos of the layout in its rarely exhibitable form.

Cheers Ian, like you say I don't think it matters, especially by the time it's weathered !

Yes do say hello at Basingstoke.

I will see what I can do! It's difficult to get decent videos with punters around but I will try hard on Sunday morning to get some footage. One thing I regret about Brockenhurst was not taking enough photos of the layout in its rarely exhibitable form.

There is a very short clip from the Brockenhurst show here, at 4:42

Rich I'm sure I can hear your seagulls in the background for some of the other layouts as well.

Edited by 37672
  • Like 1