SouthernMafia's Projects & Portland - a 'what might have been' NSE layout in Dorset

SouthernMafia

Thanks Ed and all.

Signals will consist of three 3 aspect starter signals, one will be a gantry for exiting the mpd/yard area which has its base on the platform and hangs over the main platform road. There will also be a few ground signals for movements from the carriage siding and yard. I've always wanted to build my own signals, and I built a test subject some months back which went well, so these will no doubt appear at some stage! I'll dig it out and photograph it in situ.

• 2 weeks later...

Good progress Rich and looking good.

I am interested in your 'filling in bits. Approximately speaking, what are the proportions of ash/ballast and chinchilla dust and the total thickness. Can I assume that the thickness of the scale track work allows it to be fixed in one pass.

Eddie

Thanks guys. Eddie it varies as I am using a similar mixture for the yard area, but this will be much more weathered and is about 50/50. The infill areas are probably 75/25 chinchilla to ash, but again weathering will alter it. It's all experimental really, I just pretend to know what I'm doing (I learnt well from Master Renshaw)

In the meantime, here's a quick image of ongoing work with colours on the bridge.

post-8166-0-94487500-1461018541_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

Rich,

Thanks for the response to my question regarding the "filling in bits".

I have a large space to deal with. How do you secure the mixture? Do you cover the board with PVA and then sprinkle the "mixture" or the other way round. I think the former is best but before I tackle the task I'd appreciate your observations, will likely save me time and grief.

Ed

Progress has been steady and with a little over 2 weeks to go things are coming together nicely. I start a new job on Monday so am making the most of my time off this week to power through, but I know I won't get everything done.

Of course it occurred to me the other day I'd better sort some stock out! Have spent the day sound fitting a Class 33 and two Class 47s along with testing various other bits, I also have 5 chips on their way to Biffo for reblows, 3 of which will need fitting before the show, plus weathering, plus couplings, plus detailing - ahhhhh! 

Anyway, here's a shot of the layout filled up a bit whilst some testing* occurred (*playing trains)

post-8166-0-09715500-1463092181_thumb.jpg

One can never have enough Cromptons

post-8166-0-10735900-1463092412_thumb.jpg

Also recently sound fitted, a super detailed Lima 73 body (not mine) powered by Bachmann 25 motor and custom built chassis, with more Limby bits for good measure. Of course this was how you made a 73 look good and run well, before Dapol.......had a go.......(to be fair, I'm pretty pleased with mine) It's pretty much there, just need to weather the underframe and add some headcode blinds at both ends having just fitted the flush glazing.

post-8166-0-75762200-1463092437_thumb.jpg

Layout wise - I will be erecting it fully on Friday with an early start to pack as much work in over the weekend as possible. Photos inevitably to follow, along with a receeding hairline caused by stress...

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

That's great Rich! Looking forwards to hearing how you get on - another DCC sound layout on the circuit has to be good....

Hanging basket liner is the dogs whatsits for embankment cover isn't it?

Kind regards

Phil

That's great Rich! Looking forwards to hearing how you get on - another DCC sound layout on the circuit has to be good....

Hanging basket liner is the dogs whatsits for embankment cover isn't it?

Kind regards

Phil

Absolutely Phil - messy stuff but looks good and even better with scatter and stuff applied - not quite there yet with mine but all the basic liner is down and trimmed.

Didn't get the whole layout up today as other things took priority, mainly fitting the end boards and painting the public side and lighting rigs.

post-8166-0-71751200-1463162783_thumb.jpgpost-8166-0-37946500-1463162790_thumb.jpg

The last board was still waiting ballasting so most of this was done today. Looks a mess at the mo but will be weathered down and cleaned up.

post-8166-0-47143300-1463162813_thumb.jpg

Also fitted the retaining wall after painting and light weather to bring out the stones.

post-8166-0-68519900-1463162805_thumb.jpg

And whilst waiting for various things to dry, continued working on these HEA wagons which are old Dapol I think, have been rewheeled, weight added and real coal on the top to bring them up to modern day standards a bit more. still awaiting a light weather but almost there. 

post-8166-0-34057200-1463162820_thumb.jpg

More tomorrow...

• Like 12

Less than a week to go, dear god where has the time gone! 

The weekend has been spent mainly working on stock. 5 sound chips arrived back from Legomanbiffo on Saturday morning, so these have been installed. The Thumper was a right pain as the "internal provision for a speaker" barely existed, so some hacking about of the underframe duly took place and the speaker is just about hidden underneath.

Like the layout, a lot of the stock is not exhibition ready but i have some stuff weathered and detailed. As long as it runs and works ok I am happy!

All the locos and units fit into one crate, and should be able to get the wagons and coaches in another. Also been adding a few loads to some dogfish and seacows.

post-8166-0-97906200-1463952907_thumb.jpgpost-8166-0-31062500-1463952902_thumb.jpg

The layout hasn't really changed much in a week as it's got to the stage where I just need to focus on ensuring it packs away as it should, and it works! Time will tell, and I am away on business until Thursday evening so any last fettling will now have to be done on Friday!

• Like 12

Hi Rich, good to meet you and have a brief chat. Fantastic layout with some super track work and very nice stock. I particularly like Windsor castle and its rake of Mk'2s. I'm certainly going to get templot out for a play and have another go at hand built track now. You never know I might even get a layout going. On the way home I thought of another question for you. Where is your back to back gauge from. It looked rather useful and more user friendly than others I've seen.

Congratulations on your debut you should be pleased with yourself.

Mark