Smoke units, and the oil to use in them

I discovered that my recently-acquired Bachmann J 4-8-4 (Norfolk & Western railroad) has a smoke unit. I tried it on our club layout, using some baby oil with some success. My LHS suggested this - they didn't have any smoke oil in stock.

Whilst the model smoked (not the motor!!), it wasn't too prolific. I was wondering if anyone has used any other oils/spirits etc. NOTE: she's still a beautiful sight, with or without smoke! ;)

I do have a large quantity of glow fuel (16% nitro mix) thanks to my R/C helicopter, but I rather think the entire loco would go up in smoke if I used that! :D

Thanks

Diff.

I have a Bachmann Niagra which came with an ampule of smoke oil and worked very well, lots of smoke. I then bought more ampules of Seuthe smoke oil which did not work at all, I tried to get hold of the Bachmann oil but could not find a UK stockist.

I could only assume that the Bachmann oil is a different mix to the Seuthe. If anyone could suggest where I can get the correct Bachmann oil or indeed any other suitable oil for the Niagra I would be grateful.

Sorry for hijacking this topic.

No need to apologise Max - your query is plenty relevant to mine :)

You may want to try baby oil - it's a free option...if you have any already! :D

Diff.

I used to use paraffin in my Triang Jinty.

This is a subject that comes up fairly frequently on garden railway forums.

You might find this page from George Schreyer's Large Scale Trains website of interest. There is a discussion about smoke oil about half-way down, though a lot of the makes mentioned may only be available in the USA.

Jeremy

Archived