Traction makeover.

LNERandBR

The new issue of traction popped though my letterbox yesteday.

Only had a quick flick though but felt impressed. Especially with the extended news coverage.

What do people think of the new look Traction?

A quick flick through (I'm a subscriber - but I'm in the middle of a Morse book so no time to read it yet), and I noticed a shed (66152) on page 6 and is that a steam engine on page 54? I've nothing against sheds/steam but it's not what I get Traction for.

As others have commented some of the picture reproduction is poor - probably due to the originals - page 28 is a good example of this, although an interesting photograph, it doesn't look good enlarged to a full A4 page. 

I don't understand why the D&E decades are XXX5 when we are in 2010 - why not follow the year? Also a fair few typos - I'm looking forward to a Glass 37 at the GWSR gala! I guess if I still subscribed to BRM there might be a lot of crossover in the modeling section? (Yet another "advantages of DCC" article!)

On the positive side the main articles (Remember the Smellies, Nose End and names, The Cynon Valley, and Life as a loco controller) look interesting.

I think I'll knock my subscription on the head when it comes around (in the middle of the year I think.) unless it does really improve.

No axe to grind, a friend writes for the mag, and I've supplied photographs in the past.

I had a flick through it in Smiths today and felt it to be a nice improvement over the old style. The loco controller story in particular looked good.

The one bugbear for me though, is the price. £3.75 for one magazine is pushing it a little in my view.

• RMweb Gold

I agree the photographs aren't exactly up to the normal standard but that's probably down to old photographs being reproduced on poor equipment overall its not to bad for a makeover except for the photo of 89001 on page 9 stating that's its at bounds green it clearly isn't its not even in this country you can tell that by the different overhead equipment and the building to the left of the picture.

I hope this is a one off mistake as this is what put me off Traction before

I'm glad there's been a positive reaction so far to the 'new look'. Ryan our designer has worked hard to produce new designs for both new and regular features. This, together with the higher paper quality have resulted in a much better look. I've commented on the photo reproduction elsewhere, so do not propose to repeat it here. Sorry about the typos - we went through thw issue with a fine tooth comb to make sure there were none - and at least 2 slipped through!

Cov Gaurd - if 89 001 is not at Bounds Green, can you or anyone else please advise me where it is and I'll put a correction in the next TPO. Thanks

Oldfield_Park - I hope its quality demands the higher price!

I like the new-style look overall. It's fresher and I like the greater emphasis on news.

As a general comment on the mag though, what I'd like to see more of in particular is...

- Accounts from railwaymen - drivers, maintenance staff and loco controllers (these are usually fascinating and give a brilliant insight into what goes on on the railways).

- Histories of classes - design, technical aspects, development, allocation, traffic, reliability over time, steps taken to improve reliability, etc., etc. (as per the recent Class 47 series, which was excellent).

Other features such as photo articles on certain areas/locations, classes are good.

Maybe I'm in a minority I don't know, but what I don't really want to read more about is stories of bashing trips and whether so and so saw his final class 47/4 at Birmingham New St. on Saturday 14 August 1982, or whatever. On the other hand, I do like (and find useful) articles with lists of locos seen on a particular day at a particular station - excellent for modelling purposes.

I think as regards the quality of photos, you have to remember many of them date from 30 - 40 years ago, so less than perfect quality must be forgiveable to some extent. I know what my photos from 30 years ago are like (i.e. not worth publishing in most cases)!

Just some personal thoughts on the mag.

Cheers,

Dave

Cov Gaurd - if 89 001 is not at Bounds Green, can you or anyone else please advise me where it is and I'll put a correction in the next TPO. Thanks

Oldfield_Park - I hope its quality demands the higher price!

I shall see how next months issue looks. On my income at the moment I can't buy as many magazines as I'd like! :) Incidentially, with the suggestion that the shot of the Class 89 was abroard I wondered if it could be at the exhibition in (I think) Hamburg in 1988? Might explain the presence of the 150 in the background.

Maybe I'm in a minority I don't know, but what I don't really want to read more about is stories of bashing trips and whether so and so saw his final class 47/4 at Birmingham New St. on Saturday 14 August 1982, or whatever. On the other hand, I do like (and find useful) articles with lists of locos seen on a particular day at a particular station - excellent for modelling purposes.

I'm generally inclined to agree, some of the articles are written in such a way that they can't really be fully appreciated by anybody that wasn't part of the group involved. A bit cliquey you might say. I did, however, love the three-part tale of bashing around Glasgow in '86, great stuff! Swings and roundabouts really. :)

might be worth another look as i used to subscribe,

I got fed up with the 'basher's diary' type articles and the strange version of english thus applied within i.e "I had 40040 from halifax to leeds,where we bailed for a crompton, but got bowled by a duff" - I,m sorry old bean come again ?These purely personal memories were of limited interest so I agree with dave.

I also agree that the most interesting bits are real railwaymen's remininiscences, such as the story of the midland driver who 'borrowed' a WR class 56 from old oak, priceless stuff and gave a real flavour of the railways.

Also always enjoyed the off the beaten track type stuff, like freight trains around torrington.

I know the remit is, or was nostalgia but I also found the " burn the class 66 it is clearly the devil's work" a bit childish and depressing at times.

I also agree that the most interesting bits are real railwaymen's remininiscences, such as the story of the midland driver who 'borrowed' a WR class 56 from old oak, priceless stuff and gave a real flavour of the railways.

I liked that one too, there was another good one a while ago of a driver working out of Kings Cross in the 70s which I enjoyed. I agree, a few more in this vein would be good.

The makeover has not - so far! - been as drastic as I feared. I would rather read reminiscences of railwaymen than bashing chronicles since the former are more likely to be written in English but the latter are not without humour. Steady as she goes, please, Dicky W.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Have to agree - I don't really care too much or get much out of for the "bashing" articles but I'm glad I'm not alone. But for those articles - which are a bit "exclusive" - I may even subscribe.

Chris

might be worth another look as i used to subscribe,

Rob - I bought a copy of the "Life on the Leicester Line - The progress of a train driver" by Anthonay Gregory. Not 100% sure but I believe he wrote some articles for Traction and then the book was advertised in the magazine. Really good read - If you can get a copy.

Regards

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Just to confirm the picture of 89001 is actually in Hamburg about 1988 I remember in the old Traction magazines there was an article about several loco's and the 150 unit being transported over there for a show covering all european railway operators !!

If the modelling section is going to stay part of the magazine I may also consider a subscription ?

The modelling section's been a part of the mag for a little while now.

Started out as a pull out suppliment. Then it was put on the back pages of the main mag and now it's been expanded and put in the centre.

It's always felt as a poor relation to the full BRM though. However I suppose that's becuase Traction's readers are't all modellers.

Well I picked up a copy on Sunday in WHSmiths.... first impressions were good from that first 'flick through'. Good layout (modern, clean, sharp, not fussy) and a nice quality paper (streets ahead of Model Rail) with a range of articles I thought I'd find interesting.

Second flick - Modelling section could be really good if it featured a decent 4 page spread on a layout in every issue. I felt perhaps it was a little more biased to reviews and ads, but I appreciate they generate much needed revenue. If Dicky is reading this I'd be happy to contribute!

Third flick - Vinegar tanks and Class 40 articles are well written and of interest. I'm intrigued by the Cynon valley article and there is a fourth section towards the back about life as a dispatcher (I think) I've still to read.

So - verdict? Thumbs up. I'll get another copy of two before I make up decision on subscribing.

Will be taking a look next time passing Smith's - to add to the comments above - I always look and sometimes buy the mag depending on the articles - like many have already said I do not find the articles on bashing of much interest but really enjoy the stories of railwaymen. For me one of the best things I read in any magazine in recent years was the chain of articles from Paul Smith about his career around Eastfield - more of these and I will be buying more of the mag!!

Matt

Just to confirm the picture of 89001 is actually in Hamburg about 1988 I remember in the old Traction magazines there was an article about several loco's and the 150 unit being transported over there for a show covering all european railway operators !!

If the modelling section is going to stay part of the magazine I may also consider a subscription ?

Thanks Cov Guard. The correction will appear in next month's mag. Yes, modelling is staying!

I like the look of the new magazine.

What i would find of interest as a modeller. Is more photos about the infra-structure of the diesel era. As well as just the engines themselves.

Every day scenes of MPDs. stations,prototypical goods trains been un/loaded etc.

How about an article to highlight when different diesel classes were introduced. When they changed from BR Green to BR Blue. General passenger and freight operations per class.

It is difficult to try and provide a balanced approach for the casual and dedicated enthusiast.

Moorlander

Archived