Sarum Town (formally N gauge home layout)

shanks522

Hello all,

Time for a quick little home project, I recently had the pleasure of viewing Steve Farmers Tanners Hill and i was really surprised how much he'd crammed into a small space, this got the creative juices flowing and i'm now going to build a small DCC layout that i can have up and running in 5 minutes. The main reason for doing it is i have a nice collection of N gauge stock thats just sitting in boxes awaiting its next outing to an exhibition, sometimes it just nice to play trains at home!

The layout itself will be on a 4x2 board which has already been built, I have started track laying but only a small amount, pictures to follow soon.

The track plan takes inspiration from a 00 layout i saw in ModelRail years ago, I've tried to find some photo's of it but to no avail, I won't be sticking to it rigidly so i'll just see how it develops, one thing that really helps the plan is the introduction of the Peco setrack curved points.

post-6774-0-74846000-1455993881.png

cheers

Graham.

Edited by shanks522
  • Like 3

Steve Farmer is the master of small N gauge layouts, cramming in a lot and a prolific builder. He provides great inspiration, but to get a complete circuit with 180' bends I'd suggest widening the boards if at all possible.

G.

• Like 2

but to get a complete circuit with 180' bends I'd suggest widening the boards if at all possible.

G.

Hi Grahame,

I had considered widening the boards to give a greater radius curve but i want to keep it all within 2 feet, i've been testing the layout today with a multitude of stock and everything runs fine even close coupled coaches being propelled.

cheers

Graham.

Hello all,

I spent a couple of hours running trains yesterday to see what would fit and where, On the original plan there were 4 sidings of varying length but not one big enough to hold a 4 + 2 HST. With this in mind i added another siding which would go underneath the climb to the terminus.

Here.

post-6774-0-39072500-1456414429.png

This got the brain cells going and i though why not connect this with the curved siding on the return loop to create a line long enough to hold a 8+2 HST.

It involved i little bit of crafty carpentry to get the new trackbed in place but after a few hours work, job done!

The area painted black is where the line drops to duck under the mainlines.

post-6774-0-72032000-1456414831_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-63315700-1456414845_thumb.jpg

I also picked up a couple of NSE mk'2s, I wasn't planning on modelling the layout anywhere in particular but i'm leaning towards the south west in the early nineties,

NSE loco hauled trains, executive HST's, Enterprise freight etc.

post-6774-0-82412600-1456414855_thumb.jpg

cheers

Graham.

• Like 6

Hello all,

I spent a couple of hours running trains yesterday to see what would fit and where, On the original plan there were 4 sidings of varying length but not one big enough to hold a 4 + 2 HST. With this in mind i added another siding which would go underneath the climb to the terminus.

Here.

This got the brain cells going and i though why not connect this with the curved siding on the return loop to create a line long enough to hold a 8+2 HST.

It involved i little bit of crafty carpentry to get the new trackbed in place but after a few hours work, job done!

The area painted black is where the line drops to duck under the mainlines.

attachicon.gif

I also picked up a couple of NSE mk'2s, I wasn't planning on modelling the layout anywhere in particular but i'm leaning towards the south west in the early nineties,

NSE loco hauled trains, executive HST's, Enterprise freight etc.

attachicon.gif

cheers

Graham.

Graham,

Looking good, it just needs a small loco stable/service area, maybe develop that small siding off the return loop

Regards,

Gordon

• Like 1

Graham,

Looking good, it just needs a small loco stable/service area, maybe develop that small siding off the return loop

Regards,

Gordon

Hi Gordon, I have a plan!

I've got a single road diesel shed that i'll incorporate at the terminus, somehow!

Looks good. I'm also working on a small N scale layout (that's about 30" wide by 68" long).  Rob

Thanks GreenDiesel, I'm keen to see what i can get into 4 x 2.

This looks really neat.  It shall be interesting to follow through to completion.

Cheers,

William

Thanks William.

looks like yet another promising layout from you Graham, will watch with interest.

Jimmy

Cheers Jimmy.

Graham.

hello all,

Little bit of planning today, a few people have mentioned a small depot next to the return loop and i'm kind of leaning that way now.

This was my original idea, simple siding for me to shunt wagons into, hardstanding etc.

post-6774-0-63052800-1456680924_thumb.jpg

Now depot idea's, i have a single track shed which would fit in quite well, so 2 or 3 track is the question?

If i go for 3 i'll add a fuelling point and the third siding will only be long enough to hold a couple of TTA's.

post-6774-0-51394300-1456680937_thumb.jpg

If i go for 2 i'l just have the shed and a storage road.

post-6774-0-65769300-1456680919_thumb.jpg

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Graham.

• Like 4

Hi Graham

I would go for two and have some fuel storage tanks, most small depots would get trip wokings which would deliver thier fuel and loco refuelling would be carried out inside the depot.

It's the larger depots that would have TTA's stabled.

Progressing nicely......Jez

• Like 1

Hi Graham

I would go for two and have some fuel storage tanks, most small depots would get trip wokings which would deliver thier fuel and loco refuelling would be carried out inside the depot.

It's the larger depots that would have TTA's stabled.

Progressing nicely......Jez

I like the sound of trip working some tanks to the depot, good thinking Jez.

Graham.

Graham,

I expect by now you have installed it, but I was thinking of a Loco stabling / refuelling area along the same lines as the one you had on Smithdown Rd Junction.

attachicon.gifpost-6774-0-78880800-1420487219.jpg

Hi Gordon,

As it happens i've done nothing on the layout over the last week, I'm tempted to replicate Smithdowns refuelling roads but i'd like to incorporate the single road shed i have, I think it'l end up as the shed and one storage siding, but nothings set in stone. 

cheers

Graham.