Sarum Town (formally N gauge home layout)

shanks522

Both my 153 and 156 are very erratic, I suspect it's something in the mechanism.

Assuming the 121 is the same design (it looks it) have you checked the springs on the bogies that are used for contact? I have seen some get mangled quite easily, which certainly won't help with contact.

I haven't checked the springs but will now, it only seems erratic in one direction which could be down the driveshaft? I'll have a look at it later.

• RMweb Premium

I had two both were on dc i’ve since sold the models on but I ran one with a dummy unit and I found them all too be really good models (particularly for the ups and downs you can have with Dapol models). My blue and grey unit was quite heavily used on my Cornish layout and always ran well even over insulfrogs and 1st radius curves, the biggest problem for me was the exhausts getting knocked off when taking out of the box, I cut the hole in the foam tray to a larger size in the end.

• Like 1

Hello all, 

Working on the layout today and i've got a little dilemma.

I own an Arnold 5 belle and i'm half tempted to use the three centre coaches to make a Pullman rake ( start of anyway ) I'll need to get another 3 if i can.

The'll need some work to make them more acceptable, mainly on the roofs and underframes.

I also had a little play using some Johnsons Klear polish to make the colour a bit brighter on the bodyside which i think has worked well.

So, my question is, does anybody have a three car add on set that they would like to sell? or am i being stupid and should leave it as the Belle?

post-6774-0-82245200-1541348095_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-37392700-1541347966_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-20191900-1541348000_thumb.jpg

Graham.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

You know the moment you decide to work on your Pullman set, Farish or Dapol will be announce their own versions, so by all means go ahead as it will help the rest of us acquire some long needed Pullman rolling stock

• Like 1

You know the moment you decide to work on your Pullman set, Farish or Dapol will be announce their own versions, so by all means go ahead as it will help the rest of us acquire some long needed Pullman rolling stock

You can guarantee it! 

I'm holding off doing anything until i can source another set of coaches, I really thought Hornby might dip there toe into N with the Pullmans, something they have a lot of info and experience in!

Graham. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hello Graham

Can’t believe your thinking of using a Belle set to start a loco Pullman rake. I’d leave it as it is and enjoy the iconic set as it’s meant to be as an EMU. There aren’t many models of EMUs about. Enjoy it as it is and don’t worry that you’ve no conductor rail. It’s your layout.

My Belle has a run round Tanners Hill now and again when I am operating at home.

Thanks Steve.

How's things progressing? Looking forward to your next update! :)

Hi, 

At the moment nothings happening, i've got two N gauge layouts and one in 00 so i bounce between the three, I've got lots i want to do but never enough hours in the day, week or month! 

Hopefully with a few days off over christmas i may do a bit.

Cheers

Graham. 

Hello Graham

Can’t believe your thinking of using a Belle set to start a loco Pullman rake. I’d leave it as it is and enjoy the iconic set as it’s meant to be as an EMU. There aren’t many models of EMUs about. Enjoy it as it is and don’t worry that you’ve no conductor rail. It’s your layout.

My Belle has a run round Tanners Hill now and again when I am operating at home.

Thanks Steve.

Hi Steve,

I was considering it but it won't happen now, i'm going to sell it, she's a beautiful unit and should stay that way.

I've spent the last few weeks looking at all the stock i have and some needs to go, i like to enjoy my models and run them but at the moment i feel more like a collector than a modeller. 

cheers

Graham. 

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

I'm still navigating the new RMweb so not really had much enthusiasm to update anything, ( i know I'm getting old as i now don't like change!)

Anyway onto the layout. 

I've been working on the hardstanding area opposite the station, and tweaking some rolling stock but whats really cheered me up is sorting out a point on the entrance to the station. I Like reliable running and i test all my track work regardless of scale by propelling an assorted rake of stock throughout every route. 

On Sarum everything was ok but the first point at the top of the gradient started to cause a few derailments, i first thought that the level crossing i'd put in was causing it but no, after some head scratching it turns out that the plastic check rail was causing the problem, removed it and replaced with a longer section of code 60 rail, jobs a good un!

A very simple job but extremely satisfying not having any derailments.

1036201375_setrackcheckrail.jpg.fb09ec123d8d964cf5f61a25ec11f891.jpg

Graham. 

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

Having been inspired by the weathering that Simon is doing over at Dallam sidings i thought i'd start tackling some stock.

Started off with this metals 37, she's had all the under frame and bogies painted in frame dirt then various shades of weathering powders added, i didn't want to go to mad but think its come out half alright.

2002631023_Metals37weathered.jpg.f5130ff1a2cff4b8831231393f5b0440.jpg

Next thing i need to do is lower the gap between body and bogie, never done it before so off to search how to do it.

Graham. 

• Like 9

• 6 months later...

Hello all,

Having visited the N gauge show in Leamington at the weekend its awakened my mojo. 

For one reason or another i need to downsize my collection of layouts and stock so I'm considering selling Sarum Town.

All is not lost as i'm planning on a new layout of just the station area.

If anyone has an interest in the layout please feel free to message me.

Graham. 

• Like 3

On 04/11/2018 at 20:19, shanks522 said:

You can guarantee it! 

I'm holding off doing anything until i can source another set of coaches, I really thought Hornby might dip there toe into N with the Pullmans, something they have a lot of info and experience in!

Graham. 

Worsley Works do a few pullmans if you don't mind soldering

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, shanks522 said:

With my soldering skills they'd end up looking like scrap wagons! 

Thanks for the link though, i'll have a look. 

Graham. 

http://www.worsleyworks.co.uk/Image-Pages/Image_3mm_Pullman.htm this 3mm one will probably be similar to a 2mm one, it looks simple enough but most difficult things can look easy if the right person does it.

Best of luck,

Matthew

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

As the new owner of Sarum town, some upgrades have been carried out. The points are wired in series and I was finding the seep CDU not to have enough current to reliably throw all the points. Introducing the cobalt Cdu2+, throws every point, every single time. Upgraded some of the points wiring to a much thicker gauge wire to handle the new CDU. More to come! 

IMG_20200101_190122.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

Some more works being carried out on Sarum Town; removable cover for the tunnel end to put some garages on, holes blocked up on the throat end and the crossing reinstated (the original plasticard had parted ways with the layout whilst in storage with the original owner!) 

IMG_20200209_124258.jpg

IMG_20200209_124250.jpg

IMG_20200209_124309.jpg

Edited by toolongtoremember
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/03/2020 at 22:29, pelhama said:

Looking back at this post:

might give some clues... 

Hope it helps!

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks! On the underside of the layout I have a bundle of wires which don't match up, one green wire, two black, two yellow, two blue one orange and one brown. I'm going to take the chance that the pairs are left and right for each solenoid of a point, the green the return and the orange and brown just mismatched and also a pair for a set of points. The only problem is this leaves one point unwired. I reckon perhaps one set of wires has two points wired in parallel or something. 

IMG_20200306_104043.jpg