Sarum Town (formally N gauge home layout)

shanks522

Look great! Always feel I "missed out" on JJAs, refused to pay the current prices!

I know what you mean, I'd like another rake of 5 but there getting a tad expensive, saying that though i'd rather pay than ruin the N gauge society kits!

Graham.

• RMweb Premium

Mmm, yes, they were out of production whenever I've looked. I don't need another project to a) never get around to or b) remind myself that my skills are nowhere near my aspirations!

Hi Graham

Just having a catch up on the thread. Love the new builders yard. Nicely modelled with plenty of detail. Very much enjoyed watching the videos as well especially the lovely Dutch tractor on the Mk IIs. Nice bit of nostalgia.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1

Cheers Marcus,

The Dutch 37 is a favourite at the moment, sounds nice just ticking over whilst I work on the layout.

Graham

Must admit they do sound nice just ticking over. Just don't shut down the engine as the Spirax valves blowing off will drive you bonkers. Mind you that's proper realism for you as the real ones did too.  :D

• Like 1

Must admit they do sound nice just ticking over. Just don't shut down the engine as the Spirax valves blowing off will drive you bonkers. Mind you that's proper realism for you as the real ones did too.  :D

The joy of DCC, switch it off..  :jester:

Graham.

• Like 1

If you want to add a bit more interest you could put a red and white chequered limited clearance board on the signal post as its against the wall. This means that a driver could get off and use the SPT safely as his train would be protecting him but it would be not safe for a track worker to use it. If I can, I'll try and get a picture of one for you.

• Like 1

If you want to add a bit more interest you could put a red and white chequered limited clearance board on the signal post as its against the wall. This means that a driver could get off and use the SPT safely as his train would be protecting him but it would be not safe for a track worker to use it. If I can, I'll try and get a picture of one for you.

What an excellent idea! cheers Marcus.

Graham.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You could always try a signal sighting test with a camera at cab level to see what the drivers view would be. The one behind looks more pleasing to the eye but the one in front seems more prototypical to me as it's on the straight rather than the curve. But then again I only see my signals (on the real railway) on a computer screen and all the lines are straight!

• Like 1

You could always try a signal sighting test with a camera at cab level to see what the drivers view would be. The one behind looks more pleasing to the eye but the one in front seems more prototypical to me as it's on the straight rather than the curve. But then again I only see my signals (on the real railway) on a computer screen and all the lines are straight!

Hi Jimmy,

Your right on the money, I want it behind the steps but in front would be better in terms of practicality, I like the idea of the camera test, shall try that!

Graham.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I think it should be behind the steps, because if it is in front of them it will be in the way of anyone coming down the steps with some heavy equipment wanting to walk further along the track.

• Like 1

I think it should be behind the steps, because if it is in front of them it will be in the way of anyone coming down the steps with some heavy equipment wanting to walk further along the track.

Thanks Jane, 

I think it will look better, I think Marcus hit the nail on the head.

Trust me mate. There's plenty of places where there's lovely straight bits of track then they stick the signal round a corner.

Graham.

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

A small update, Work has begun on the hardstanding area of the yard, I'm weighing up the options of painting it or using scale scenes concrete?

post-6774-0-11668700-1496522907_thumb.jpg

Also made a few purchases from Ebay.

Metals 37 which will fit in nicely.

post-6774-0-43211000-1496522912_thumb.jpg

And a LT pannier, won't fit in so well, I'm thinking of getting another pannier to run with a short rake of MK1's as a rail tour, top n tail.

post-6774-0-17198400-1496522917_thumb.jpg

Graham.

Edited by shanks522
  • Like 9