Piddle-Upon-Bog - the rebirth!

br-nse-fan

Hello Everyone

I am finally starting to rebuild my layout after moving, and am looking for feedback / suggestions on how best to proceed.

When my parents moved, my Dad was going to dismantle a part of his layout and not use it at the new location, but I offered to take it and use it as a starting point for my own layout:

post-7599-0-57715600-1455994271_thumb.jpg

The layout was built to a late 50's era and as such, the scenery and track plan reflects more of steam era than the mid 80's that I will be modelling.

This is how it was originally setup:

post-7599-0-24870500-1455994562_thumb.jpg

The light grey indicates extension boards that have been added, but not in the photo at the top.  The portion shown is apx 8' long by 3' wide.  I have added a 2.5' x 3' board at the most right, allowing for an extension of platforms 2 & 3 and a loco run 'round large enough to release Class 50's from their trains.

My goal is to retain as much of the existing track work as possible, but re-purpose it to something more suitable to my modelling era.

Here are my thoughts:

-  The branch at the top (1) would be used for the local cement works.  Trains would come into Platform 3 and then either back down the branch, or another locomotive would retrieve the wagons and take them down the branch.

- The engine sheds (2) would be updated to a more modern facility for diesels.

- as there is no longer a turntable (3), this could either just be removed or a short line could be added to parallel the mainlines (4) and used as PW storage.

- I have little to no tankers, but I don't want to remove the inlaid track from the old fuel terminal (5), so I am looking for suggestions what I could use here.

- I have already decided to remove the two lines for the small engine shed (6) and replace it with something else.  Maybe just scenery?

- Location of the signal box (7) is fine, just updating to a more modern looking one/

- Removing the old style goods sheds (8 ) and replacing with loading docks instead.  I have a couple of the Peco ones, and will likely be mail and parcels, not goods.

- no need of a cattle dock (9), so this area will just be an extension of the loading platforms

- Platforms (10, 11) are remaining in place, but will be extended to allow 5 coach trains and longer locomotives like the aforementioned 50's.  Platform 1 will have a 3rd rail added as this station will see regular EMU commuter services as well as long distance locomotive hauled.

- The line on the lowest right (next to 6) will be used as a head shunt to get wagons in and out of the sidings on the left.

- The three sidings on the right, above the head shunt were originally used as coach sidings and goods overflow... not sure what I want to do with them yet.

- Most of the goods traffic with be to and from the cement works accessible through the branch (1), but I also have the old fuel dock (5) that can be used for some kind of rail served industry.. steel... warehouse...?

Thoughts and suggestions VERY welcomed!

Edited by br-nse-fan
  • Like 4

With regard to what you'd replace things with, what would BR have done with the shed/ turntable by your era?

If the line was electrified, chances are every platform would have been fitted, so I would recommend fitting it to all platforms and the mains.

You've got a good opportunity here to take some 50s infrastructure and wind the clock forward, I would be sure to think about what changes would have occurred under BR in that time.

• Agree 1

Well it does already have a sort of 1980s run down feel, with a largely unused and overgrown goods yard maybe being used as an engineering yard, but have you considered converting it to a car park?  The shed might look good in a forlorn state, minus its roof, and access points removed but some plain track remaining to show its former glorious steam heyday.  I'm thinking rural East Anglia somewhere, nice and flat with a lovely freezing fog coming in off the North Sea and in the gloomy dullness a class 25 painted the dullest shade of weathered BR blue being extremely boring.  A perfect 1980s scene.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies all.

I guess what I am looking to do, is to take this, and make is more like Llanbourne North Wales. Same era as what I'll be modelling, although a slightly different region.  Llanbourne is obviouslys North Wales, where mine is near the border of the Southern and Western regions.  I chose this general location so that I can justifiably run the majority of stock that was seen on the BR network in the mid 80's, with the exception of that "far to the north foreign stuff".   :locomotive:  

As this is a downsize from my previous layout, I have a lot of stock that was purchased with a larger space in mind, and realistically I know I won't be able to have most of it out at any one time.  Because really... where else other than Laira, would you have seen 7 class 50's all at once?  ;)

A more detailed description of what I would like to achieve is in order, and I realize some of this will sound like the Llanbourne description, but I promise you that while it is a source of inspiration for me, I am not out to copy :)

So what is Piddle-Upon-Bog? 

Well, it is a busy through terminus somewhere on the border of the Southern and Western regions, with influences pulled from Weymouth, Poole and the Swanage branch. Originally part of the LSWR, it has changed hands several times over it's life.  After the LSWR was absorbed into the SR, it went back and forth with the GWR with what seemed like regularity until nationalization.  Upon nationalization and the realignment of the regional borders, it eventually fell back under the Southern regions control, although it maintained a very Western feel due to the seemingly everlasting GWR influence.  During the heyday of steam, it became a very popular vacation destination due to it's proximity and easy access to various south coast beaches.  In fact, it was Piddle-Upon-Bog that was the influence for a certain popular poster:

post-7599-0-36639800-1456064814.jpg

Enter the 1980's, a large variety of traction and rolling stock can still be seen in a multitude of liveries.  Passenger service from the Southern is in the form of Multiple Units for the local and commuter services, as well as loco hauled services originating from London.  Due to the South/West junction further up the line (think Dorchester), loco hauled Western services are provided multiple times during the day also.  The occasional Midland 'guest' can also be seen from time to time on an inter-regional special.

Although the fuel depot is long since closed, goods traffic is still fairly regular with a rather large cement works nearby.  Daily tank trains to and from the works are joined by semi-regular speedlink services consisting of both open and box vans used in the transporting of commercial products.

There are rumors that several local businesses are looking at re-purposing the old fuel depot and storage lines for their use since their volume has grown to the point that transport by truck is no longer an option.

With the electrification of the lines from the Southern, there was no more need of coach storage line, and these eventually became engineering and goods over flow sidings.  The small two lane engine shed was demolished in the late 60's and is now an empty lot.  A local housing estate has been in talks to purchase it for another car park.

The once busy goods shed and cattle dock have also been gone since the late 60's, replaced with a mail and parcels dock.  The dedicated dock was required due to Royal Mail moving one of their main sorting facilities down the road.  With the added security of a loading dock away from the main platforms, a Bullion van can now be seen on a weekly basis... if you want to be up at 3am when the train is scheduled to arrive!

Edited by br-nse-fan
  • Like 3

Nice idea. A couple of thoughts spring to mind: any scope for using the goods yard and in-laid section as a larger MPD? The arrangement for accessing siding 1 seems a bit tricky, would this siding be better as a stabling point or coach siding (along with the former shed line)?

Nice idea. A couple of thoughts spring to mind: any scope for using the goods yard and in-laid section as a larger MPD? The arrangement for accessing siding 1 seems a bit tricky, would this siding be better as a stabling point or coach siding (along with the former shed line)?

Hi Bill

I had thought about a larger MPD, but I do have a fair amount of goods wagons, and I enjoy shunting as much as running mainline trains too... but it's certainly a good suggestion, one that I will keep in mind!

As for the goods-only branch, the other thought I had would be to use the old turntable access line and make it the branch to the cement works instead.  The line (1) near the old engine shed would actually be ideal for the single road service shed I have from Bachmann.

• 2 months later...

Ok, so it's been a while since I last posted any kind of update, and I'll likely start a new layout topic... but so far, I've been able to update and expand the layout somewhat.

So anyway, this is what I received from my Dad:

post-7599-0-25292500-1463774677_thumb.jpg

I've extended the length of the platform 2 & 3 lines to accommodate a full 5 coach train plus locomotive, and allow room to run around the train.

I don't have a shot mirroring the above, but this is pretty close:

post-7599-0-75978600-1463775081_thumb.jpg

And a view of the redesigned traction department:

post-7599-0-98239400-1463775125_thumb.jpg

post-7599-0-35692200-1463775144_thumb.jpg

post-7599-0-08070600-1463775155_thumb.jpg

PW Sidings:

post-7599-0-62979100-1463775183_thumb.jpg

Approach to the station with the single line branch and entrance to the cement works:

post-7599-0-27885300-1463775473_thumb.jpg

The cement works with the tracks set into 'cement'.  I've gone for a torn up, worn down look on the 'cement' between the rails, as the years of heavy traffic have taken their toll. Still needs to be painted and detailed:

post-7599-0-71620000-1463775310_thumb.jpg

post-7599-0-01767800-1463775318_thumb.jpg

And finally, Hornby and Bachmann MK2's in the same rake... and yes, there is a significant difference in the color of the grey.  Very disappointing... *shrug*

post-7599-0-37224900-1463775393_thumb.jpg

Edited by br-nse-fan
  • Like 2

Surely the Mk 2 A and Mk 2 D should not be in the same rake, I would have thought the D would need an ETH loco to run the air con even in the summer service.  My recollections of the Blue/Grey era is the 37s were freight locos except from around 83 when they replaced 27s on the Far North and with ETHELs on the West Highland lines up until 85 when the large logo 37/4s came along with ETH stock on the Far North.

The 1980s blues were a variety of different colours as they faded horribly, much lighter than either Bachmann or Hornby.

Leaving Hornby models in the garden for a couple of years is a good way of getting the right shade.

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi

I like the idea of taking a 1950s layout and updating it to more recent times - very much like the real railway.

A few thoughts that I hope you might find useful.

For the passenger service - the most likely situation is that the main line to London would be electrified and that the diesel hauled service would be a cross-country service. For example there were class 33 hauled trains (Mk1 stock) between Portsmouth and Bristol/Cardiff or class 47 hauled trains running further afield. Class 50s were sometimes used on these trains but were rare.

Freight would be a mix of trainload (train for one customer) and wagonload Speedlink services (train for many customers).  Cement traffic could run in either trainload or wagonload services. The main Speedlink Hub in the area you are modelling was Eastleigh. From there local freight workings would serve various terminals. There was a lot of military traffic, which could be a use of the old oil siding as you already have some security fencing. Other traffic could be general goods in vans, steel or fertilizer in open wagons. Class 47 / 33 would be used on these trains.

A PW yard is a good idea - perhaps you could imagine that the line is being resignaled or electrified that would justify many PW/engineering trains. You could then retain the old signal box and have  anew box being built alongside it.

Not sure if the engine shed would have survived - more likely to have been downgraded to a fuel point with some buildings for crew accommodation.

Hope you find this useful and good luck with your modelling.

Regards

Nick

• 2 years later...
On 20/02/2016 at 19:14, br-nse-fan said:

Hello Everyone

I am finally starting to rebuild my layout after moving, and am looking for feedback / suggestions on how best to proceed.

When my parents moved, my Dad was going to dismantle a part of his layout and not use it at the new location, but I offered to take it and use it as a starting point for my own layout:

post-7599-0-57715600-1455994271_thumb.jpg

The layout was built to a late 50's era and as such, the scenery and track plan reflects more of steam era than the mid 80's that I will be modelling.

This is how it was originally setup:

post-7599-0-24870500-1455994562_thumb.jpg

The light grey indicates extension boards that have been added, but not in the photo at the top.  The portion shown is apx 8' long by 3' wide.  I have added a 2.5' x 3' board at the most right, allowing for an extension of platforms 2 & 3 and a loco run 'round large enough to release Class 50's from their trains.

My goal is to retain as much of the existing track work as possible, but re-purpose it to something more suitable to my modelling era.

Here are my thoughts:

-  The branch at the top (1) would be used for the local cement works.  Trains would come into Platform 3 and then either back down the branch, or another locomotive would retrieve the wagons and take them down the branch.

- The engine sheds (2) would be updated to a more modern facility for diesels.

- as there is no longer a turntable (3), this could either just be removed or a short line could be added to parallel the mainlines (4) and used as PW storage.

- I have little to no tankers, but I don't want to remove the inlaid track from the old fuel terminal (5), so I am looking for suggestions what I could use here.

- I have already decided to remove the two lines for the small engine shed (6) and replace it with something else.  Maybe just scenery?

- Location of the signal box (7) is fine, just updating to a more modern looking one/

- Removing the old style goods sheds (8 ) and replacing with loading docks instead.  I have a couple of the Peco ones, and will likely be mail and parcels, not goods.

- no need of a cattle dock (9), so this area will just be an extension of the loading platforms

- Platforms (10, 11) are remaining in place, but will be extended to allow 5 coach trains and longer locomotives like the aforementioned 50's.  Platform 1 will have a 3rd rail added as this station will see regular EMU commuter services as well as long distance locomotive hauled.

- The line on the lowest right (next to 6) will be used as a head shunt to get wagons in and out of the sidings on the left.

- The three sidings on the right, above the head shunt were originally used as coach sidings and goods overflow... not sure what I want to do with them yet.

- Most of the goods traffic with be to and from the cement works accessible through the branch (1), but I also have the old fuel dock (5) that can be used for some kind of rail served industry.. steel... warehouse...?

Thoughts and suggestions VERY welcomed!

Looks interesting.

Great layout, not sure the name is quite right,  Piddle is a West Country name, Wyre Piddle etc.   I always think names like Grimly, Bogthorpe, Eckerslaike etc more appropriate for 't north country,

On 20/05/2016 at 21:16, br-nse-fan said:

And finally, Hornby and Bachmann MK2's in the same rake... and yes, there is a significant difference in the color of the grey.  Very disappointing... *shrug*

post-7599-0-37224900-1463775393_thumb.jpg

its not that bad.

they would all weather differently anyway and probably be cleaned at different times