To stimulate discussion, post photos and exchange ideas, and (being an open public forum) help encourage others to try S scale modelling.

End of the line for SIR

HSB

My Sn31/Stewart Island Railway has now been in existence for around 25 years and has received several scenic revamps over the years although the track arrangement has remained essentially the same. It is set on Stewart Island which is at the southern end of New Zealand and is about the size of the Isle of Wight. As my new German 0 Gauge layout is progressing steadily I will shortly need to demolish SIR to make way for it but before I do I am going to do a little titivating before I take some final photos. Here is an overall picture of the layout:-

post-12623-0-76819300-1456101044.jpg

• Like 6

Yes, I did paint the backscene although I have gone back over it several times to make the trees more like New Zealand species and to try and get the colours to look more natural. It proved good practice for Ramchester a few years later!  :)

Here's a pic taken a few years ago before it's final reworking:-

post-12623-0-49408500-1456146250.jpg

Edited by HSB
  • Like 2

Hi Howard,

A most intriguing idea! I don't think anyone over here in NZ has considered basing a layout on Stewart Island. I suspect traffic might be a little light though, as the population is only about 400. Saying that, the coming of the railways usually opened up the country for population growth.

Nice looking model and always good to see models of NZ railways overseas. Shame it has to go.

Regards, Les

Thanks for for your comments, Les.

There were actually a number of forestry lines built on Stewart Island (gauge unknown) mainly around Paterson Inlet and also a short-lived 3 mile long 60cm gauge line running north from Port Pegasus to a tin mine but I suspect these are not very well known. They are shown on page 33 of the New Zealand Railway and Tramway Atlas although I must admit I was unaware of these lines when I decided to set my layout there!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...