Older Romford Wagon Wheel Axel Replacements

Hello - this may be a foolish question but I have a load of spoked wheels on the older cup bearing type axels. Is it possible to mount these on newer pinpoint axels? If so can they be bought sepapately or am I 'having a laugh'? The wheels look fine to me. It's basically to update some white metal wahons. Ks and suchlike.

It seems similar to this

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108243-oo-gauge-12mm-spoke-wagon-wheels-for-ks-kits/

As an aside are wagon axels all 2mm in diameter?

Any help would be appreciated.

Unfortunately not all axles are 2mm diameter. The original 00 standard was 15 S.W.G.  (A bicycle spoke apparently -. Peco Insulaxles are still this diameter). Later axles are about 1.9mm diameter and the current standard is 2mm, though it is still possible to find non-standard axles. The overall length also varies. It should be 26mm*, but many use the American (N.M.R.A.) standard of 25.4mm/1 inch. Continental axles are often even shorter e.g. Lima are usually 24.5mm.

I am not aware of separate pin-point axles being available. Possibly enquiries to the manufacturers?

I usually turn mine to a point in a power drill using a flat file. This is not ideal, but the result is better than plain axles. The tricky part is getting the length right. (This can be bodged by padding out the bearings :secret: & possibly marking the vehicle that the axles are non-standard.) The specification is a 60 degree angle for the axle pin-point running in a cup with a 55 degree angle. This results in the cone being 2mm (along the angle) of course. Vernier or digital calipers are a great asset/essential. Older Romford/Jackson and other B.R.M.S.B. wheels need to be set to 14.5 mm back to back, but an N.M.R.A. gauge is probably adequate.

* The 26mm millimetre length was designed so that, when fitting bearings to axleguards spaced 24mm apart, everything fits properly. Note Romford bearings are non-standard in this respect. The intention is that etched W irons would be used (to enable equaiisation), but in the case of thick white metal axleguards (like K's) the bearing may need to be recessed and/or shorter axles used. (K's kits date back to before the idea of a 26mm axle.)

Dimensions/drawings of axles and bearings are (or at least were) available on the E.M.G.S. (ignore talk of gauge* - the axles are the same) and Romford/Markits websites.

* They are 'right' of course, but we are considering 00 gauge here. (EM and S4/P4 are another world.)

Archived