NON-POOL FREIGHT STOCK 1948-68

Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

post-7795-0-90440500-1456162633.png

Evenin' all,

Arriving today is David Larkin's new book.

Some welcome new and rare images (to me). Some repetition....I do have most of his previous books. The numerous images (all black & white) spread over 90 pages are clearly presented and at a useful size for studying/modelling from. David has sourced pictures from various photographers/collections to broaden/add depth to his own images. Each picture has a good level of written information relating to it.

I'd recommend it for the reference shelf

Dave

• 1 month later...

I've just received this as a belated birthday present, and I've got to say I'm really disappointed with it.

Why?

• Really small photos, I know David's own are often really murky and won't take larger printing, but this book has large numbers of others which would, and there are some really enormous margins there that could be shrunk.
  • An apparent complete ignorance of the subject matter - I've only looked closely at the ferry stock, but there is almost nothing factual there, and as often as not the suppositions are wrong.
  • Very few 'new' photos, I'm familiar with (i.e. already have the prints) almost all the photos form the HMRS and Roger Carpenter collections, and all of the prints are larger and clearly capable of bigger reproductions.

Frankly the photos could all have been squeezed up a bit to absorb the margins and the whole lot delivered in one album not across two volumes, or use the space on page that there is and print the photos a lot bigger.

Jon

.....I've heard your sentiments from various people since the launch of this book Jon inc. other wagon experts. Much of the factual information that should have been included within its captions is already known but for some reason is missing from the book/those with that knowledge not being consulted. Frustrating, as the fascinating but under addressed period/subject covered by this book is crying out for a 'belt & braces' attempt to do it justice. It is in no ones interest to see lacklustre/mediocre releases stuck on the shelves/being remaindered, esp. in a niche subject.

Is it possible for those with previously unpublished wagon images/images with an untold story to work with those with the best insight and come up with one or two outstanding wagon titles please?

Dave

• 6 months later...

Archived