West Sands - BR (SR) Electrified south coast branch terminus - MISSING PHOTOS SLOWLY BEING RESTORED

Geep7

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I realised i've let this thread languish for a bit too long, but i've been frantically working on getting the layout ready for it's first exhibition at the REC's Woking show in just over a week....

So here's a few photos of where the layouts currently at. Still a few more details too add, along with some people and vehicles.....

post-13704-0-27555400-1472596192_thumb.jpg

post-13704-0-84243100-1472596203_thumb.jpg

post-13704-0-04768700-1472596216_thumb.jpg

post-13704-0-96968300-1472596232_thumb.jpg

More photos and closer up shots will follow in the next few days.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Here are a few more photos, this time with trains in them!

2-Bil 2086 waits to depart from Platform 2 with a stopping service to Redhill

post-13704-0-11140300-1472803112_thumb.jpg

JB E6029 shunts a Bogie 'B'

post-13704-0-05365800-1472803271_thumb.jpg

2H 1122 sits in platform 1, waiting to depart on a service to Guildford via Haslemere.

post-13704-0-16304700-1472803371_thumb.jpg

A view across the layout towards the signalbox

post-13704-0-14136500-1472803546_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Hi Chris 

What are the tankers in the photos in post 27? They look like old Hornby/Railroad. If so you've done a great job on them. What real wagons are they based on and where did you get the transfers (I'm renovating a few old Hornby tankers).

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris

What are the tankers in the photos in post 27? They look like old Hornby/Railroad. If so you've done a great job on them. What real wagons are they based on and where did you get the transfers (I'm renovating a few old Hornby tankers).

Yep, they're exactly that, a mixture of older ones and some railroad ones.

They're roughly based on the Class B tank pics on Paul Bartlett's excellent website: http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brtclassbesso

As for the transfers, the large white stars are from Fox and the rest from Railtec.

I given them a good weathering since those pics and i've decided to forego putting the walkways and ladders back on, until I get hold of some etched brass ones.

I'll upload a couple of close-up pics later.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's a close up pic of the platform starter signal. It's not 100% finished by a long shot, but it looks ok for now. However i'm debating whether to finish it, or go for an MSE kit.

post-13704-0-87555000-1472814285_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

That is looking very nice, if I lived nearer I would like to have gone to Woking to see it.

The photos in post 27 without passenger, stock, and signal arms look like the station after closure.

Good luck with the show, perhaps I will get to see the layout one day,

cheers

Edited by Rivercider

• RMweb Gold

As promised here are a couple of pics of the weathered oil tankers.

post-13704-0-10959100-1473064028_thumb.jpgpost-13704-0-54445400-1473064038_thumb.jpgpost-13704-0-17048700-1473064051_thumb.jpg

Have also managed to kadee and weather some other stock ready for the Woking show.

The Heljan 33/1 had received a bit of light weathering to the underframe and roof only. D6511 only went blue in Apr '69, and as the layout is set roughly around Aug '69, I would imagine it would not be too dirty.

There is now a cross-country rake of 4 Maroon / Blue & Grey mk1's hauled by a Green 47.

The parcels / newspapers train is complete, formed of a Mk1 GUV in blue, 2 x Mk1 BG's, 1 in Blue and 1 in Blue & Grey, a Mk1 CCT in Blue and a Bogie 'B' still in Green.

The 47 is still to be weathered, as is the green Hymek, which I think should be rather filthy.

Which just leaves the 2-Hal and my 2H. The Hal underframe really needs pretty much a full repaint as it looks way too clean, and a bit if light weathering.

However, i'm debating weathering my thumper.... being a special edition, does it pay to leave it as is?

More updates soon......

Edited by Geep7
  • Like 1

This is good!

Even without a train in sight, it is Immediately apparent that we are somewhere in the south, in the late 60s or the 70s, probably Surrey or Sussex, and that would be true if the CR was taken away .......... In short, atmosphere "bang on".

Does anyone make a r-t-r Oxted unit yet?

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

This is good!

Even without a train in sight, it is Immediately apparent that we are somewhere in the south, in the late 60s or the 70s, probably Surrey or Sussex, and that would be true if the CR was taken away .......... In short, atmosphere "bang on".

Does anyone make a r-t-r Oxted unit yet?

Kevin

Thank you for your comments Kevin.

As regards the Oxted unit, I think Britannia Pacific used to make them ready-to-run. I say used to, as they are based on the DC-Kits kit, and i'm pretty sure Charlie has all but stopped making his kits, although he may have a few in stock still.

Pity really, as i'd love to have an Oxted unit.

Chris

Your oil terminal put me in mind of High Brooms, which in turn made me remember that Tunbridge Wells Central Goods still used to receive coal by rail until c1980 http://www.kentrail.org.uk/tunbridge_wells_central_goods_3.html

Wagons were a mix of 16T single door, and those big double-door 21/24 Ton wagons, and unloading, bagging and distribution was by very traditional methods. You can see loaded wagons in this photo http://www.hatspics.co.uk/photo_expanded.php?id=7105034

You might already be switched on to this, but in case not, it might give you another traffic. Couple of wagons each week, maybe?

There were also very occasional deliveries of something in sacks/bags, carried in SWB vans with doors at one end on each side (Palvans?), although whether it was cement (seems a bit unlikely, given proximity to the cement works in the Medway Valley) or fertiliser, I now can't recall.

Kevin

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Chris

Your oil terminal put me in mind of High Brooms, which in turn made me remember that Tunbridge Wells Central Goods still used to receive coal by rail until c1980 http://www.kentrail.org.uk/tunbridge_wells_central_goods_3.html

Wagons were a mix of 16T single door, and those big double-door 20T(?) wagons, and unloading, bagging and distribution was by very traditional methods. You can see loaded wagons in this photo http://www.hatspics.co.uk/photo_expanded.php?id=7105034

You might already be switched on to this, but in case not, it might give you another traffic. Couple of wagons each week, maybe?

There were also very occasional deliveries of something in sacks/bags, carried in SWB sliding door vans (Palvans?), although whether it was cement (seems a bit unlikely, given proximity to the cement works in the Medway Valley) or fertiliser, I now can't recall.

Kevin

Great stuff, have been trying to get photographic evidence of coal traffic in to the 70s.

I have got a some coal staithes on the front siding, and I was just going to use modellers licence to serve them with a couple of coal wagons and the staithes mostly empty, but I guess I can fill them up a bit now.

I also have plans to add a loading dock onto what is now a headshunt on the run-round loop. But this will have to wait until after the Woking show.

By the 70s, nearly all "house coal" went to concentration depots in hopper wagons, which is why Tunbridge Wells sticks in my mind - the traffic was exceptional, and looked retro, even at the time.

If your dateline extend backwards into the 60s, there were more, smaller, yards receiving coal, and practically nothing else. For some reason, Sunningdale sticks firmly in mind. It had a very active 'traditional' coal yard perhaps as late as 1968. On a family outing to Virginia Water lakes, I found the coal yard at the station more interesting than anything else, which shows how sad I was, even then!

Another weird traffic flow in vans was those fibre trays and pots used in greenhouses. One station, maybe Paddock Wood, but memory is not certain, had a factory nearby that made zillions of them, and they used one of those SR concrete store sheds from which to load them for despatch.

Other occasional traffics to think about might be Mystex and Adex, which arrived and departed from the most obscure places, and troop movements - I have a set of photos of a troop train from Crowborough c1978. Sometimes troop trains included CCT for kit bags, but they usually loaded on the basis of two seats per man, one being for a whacking great kitbag.

K

• RMweb Gold

By the 70s, nearly all "house coal" went to concentration depots in hopper wagons, which is why Tunbridge Wells sticks in my mind - the traffic was exceptional, and looked retro, even at the time.

If your dateline extend backwards into the 60s, there were more, smaller, yards receiving coal, and practically nothing else. For some reason, Sunningdale sticks firmly in mind. It had a very active 'traditional' coal yard perhaps as late as 1968. On a family outing to Virginia Water lakes, I found the coal yard at the station more interesting than anything else, which shows how sad I was, even then!

Another weird traffic flow in vans was those fibre trays and pots used in greenhouses. One station, maybe Paddock Wood, but memory is not certain, had a factory nearby that made zillions of them, and they used one of those SR concrete store sheds from which to load them for despatch.

Other occasional traffics to think about might be Mystex and Adex, which arrived and departed from the most obscure places, and troop movements - I have a set of photos of a troop train from Crowborough c1978. Sometimes troop trains included CCT for kit bags, but they usually loaded on the basis of two seats per man, one being for a whacking great kitbag.

K

I've sort of settled on a date somewhere in the summer of '69 (nothing to do with the song).... mainly due to that is when all of my locos are known to be in the liveries they are in, but a couple of years either way won't hurt too much.

• RMweb Gold

Well, the layout is pretty much ready for its first public appearance this weekend.

Here is a panorama shot of the layout.

post-13704-0-44277000-1473323676_thumb.jpg

And a few more closer up pics.

post-13704-0-63355100-1473323752_thumb.jpg

post-13704-0-52398200-1473323768_thumb.jpg

post-13704-0-55119200-1473323785_thumb.jpg

post-13704-0-17577300-1473323797_thumb.jpg

post-13704-0-02209100-1473323806_thumb.jpg

post-13704-0-63638000-1473323819_thumb.jpg

And finally the obligatory bus on a bridge shot....

post-13704-0-22378000-1473323829_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Layout and stock is all packed up and ready to go to the REC Woking show.

If you're in the area, come along and say hi. Blackhurst will be stand no.69 in the main hall.

Fingers crossed all goes well, but i'm sure, as it's the first exhibition for the layout, that there are bound to be a few teething problems.

Will post a few photo later on once the layout is all set up.

• RMweb Gold

Well the layout is all up and ready to go for the morning. Just a couple of minor things to sort first thing, including cleaning the Bachmann 08's wheels and pickups.

Will definitely get some pix of layout and post them up tomorrow night....

• RMweb Gold

Here's a couple of pics of the layout from the show today. Hopefully will get a few more tomorrow.

post-13704-0-63022700-1473534497_thumb.jpg

post-13704-0-64453400-1473534505_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

So Blackhurst is back home from its first exhibition.

Inevitably, there were a few niggles, none more so than the neodymium magnets for uncoupling. They were pretty much an unmitigated disaster, and I had to resort to using the "handpick of god". A rethink is in order for those.

Otherwise the layout and stock behaved pretty well. Will post a few more pics from the show later.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear of your magnet tribulations. I am moving into Kadees on my new layout (boards nearly finished, track laying soon, no thread yet) and I am trying to decide whether to go under track magnets or neodymium so if you could say what you used and what went wrong it might help me. (The buzzword phrase in my industry is "Share with pain"!)

Thanks, Paul.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear of your magnet tribulations. I am moving into Kadees on my new layout (boards nearly finished, track laying soon, no thread yet) and I am trying to decide whether to go under track magnets or neodymium so if you could say what you used and what went wrong it might help me. (The buzzword phrase in my industry is "Share with pain"!)

Thanks, Paul.

I've used under the track magnets on my previous 2 exhibition layouts with good results. This time round as the board surface was a bit thinner I wanted something different.

I've used 4mm x 10mm round magnets. The sphere of operation is so small that you need to stop very accurately and have the couplers adjusted properly too. Which is fine for a home layout, but at exhibitions you can't be hunting around for 5 minutes at a time trying to uncouple.

I'm going to change mine over to the between the track magnets. I noticed at the weekend that the guys on Grantham are using them, so if they're good enough for them, they're good enough for me.

• 3 months later...