West Sands - BR (SR) Electrified south coast branch terminus - MISSING PHOTOS SLOWLY BEING RESTORED

Geep7

• RMweb Gold

Why not halve it's size, add a fuelling point and use it as an excuse to 'trip in' light engines, off say excursion trains, for fuelling from an imaginary terminus nearby?

Thanks leopardml, I did think about putting a fuel point in, but the station is only meant to be about 40 miles or so from Redhill, so I imagined that most locos wouldn't need fueling when arriving at Blackhurst.

The only loco that might do, would be the 08, but I assume this would trip back to Redhill every couple of days.

The main reason for thinking of changing, is I wanted to increase the potential for goods traffic. Also, I have a siding which I use for the engineer's stock, but this is intended to be a stabling siding (and will be juiced at some point).

However, the fueling point idea has got me thinking.....

*edited for double post.

Edited by Geep7

Hi Chris,

Re. the oil terminal,  my vote would be to convert the siding into an engineers' depot.  It would permit a greater variety of stock and movements.

(Seen one tank wagon, you've seen them all - in my opinion!)

Colin

Edited by Colin parks

• RMweb Gold

I'm leaning towards the engineers siding too. However, i'm not sure what would be beside such a siding. As mentioned, I was thinking of having an old loading dock, now used to store old sleepers etc.

As regards Wickhams on the Southern, i'm not sure.

I rather liked the oil terminal idea, because it seemed a highly plausible source of regular traffic. You could get the open view by simply having the unloading connections and pipe work, with the tanks "off stage". I mentioned High Brooms before, and there the tanks were quite a way from the siding. You can get the idea from this picture https://www.flickr.com/photos/36034969@N08/8469269960/in/photostream/

The limitation with an engineer's siding is that engineers only "out stable" trains, away from main depot/yard, if there is work going on in the area, and significant work, of the sort that necessitates trains, isn't frequent. Ask yourself: why would any branch of engineers (PWay, Civils, S&T, power supply ...) need a siding served by a lot of trains, at the end of a branch?

I suppose you could make it a spent ballast tip, maybe filling-in an old brick pit, which would fit the locality, but they are seriously ugly places, and Blackhurst looks so civilised!

The bus on the bridge: loving it, because I used to come home from school on one exactly like that, if it was too rainy to walk.

Kevin

Edited by Nearholmer

• RMweb Gold

I rather liked the oil terminal idea, because it seemed a highly plausible source of regular traffic. You could get the open view by simply having the unloading connections and pipe work, with the tanks "off stage". I mentioned High Brooms before, and there the tanks were quite a way from the siding. You can get the idea from this picture https://www.flickr.com/photos/36034969@N08/8469269960/in/photostream/

The limitation with an engineer's siding is that engineers only "out stable" trains, away from main depot/yard, if there is work going on in the area, and significant work, of the sort that necessitates trains, isn't frequent. Ask yourself: why would any branch of engineers (PWay, Civils, S&T, power supply ...) need a siding served by a lot of trains, at the end of a branch?

I suppose you could make it a spent ballast tip, maybe filling-in an old brick pit, which would fit the locality, but they are seriously ugly places, and Blackhurst looks so civilised!

The bus on the bridge: loving it, because I used to come home from school on one exactly like that, if it was too rainy to walk.

Kevin

I haven't quite given up on the oil depot idea just yet. I have a idea to build an additional board between the road bridge and the fiddle yard which will feature the oil depot at the back of the layout, allowing for some low relief tanks on the backscene.

Regarding the engineers siding, i'm thinking of modelling it as a part of the goods yard with a loading dock, that just so happens to be being used for engineers and p-way trains removing the line from beyond Blackhurst (across the level crossing).

Should really make apologies for the bus on the bridge.... now where can I put the TARDIS?

• RMweb Gold

Well is Woldingham close enough? October 1980

1054.jpg

Oh, that's done it..... I thought I was safe from the lure of a Wickhams.... must resist. Mind you, sticking a decoder in one looks rather tricky.

A bus under a bridge is the new black........

That'll be for the next layout.....

• RMweb Gold

So a small progress report from the Easter weekend.

Ticked off one issue that has been pending since the Exhibition last year, and that was to resolve an intermittent pickup issue on one of the points. Turned out to be a dry joint on the wire bonding one of the stock rails to the switch rail.

I've also made a raised flower bed to go where the water column usually is, as i'm not entirely convinced a water column would have survived into 1969.

Here is a photo, although I still need to add some colourful flowers.

post-13704-0-42513300-1492510333_thumb.jpg

Other than that, i've been "Laserglazing" my DMU, a rather fiddly, and at times tedious job, hope to have this finished by the end of the month.....

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Bushy :) I'll be interested to see what flowers you find to go in there..

Being a bit of a sci-fi fan, I really should have some triffids... :-D

But seriously, they probably be old toothbrush bristle's painted green, with a colourful (red / yellow / blue) bit of flock stuck on the end. Might not look too great up close, but should look fine from normal viewing distance.....

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

So it's been a little while since my last update, and the layout has moved on fairly slowly now the warmer weather has arrived.

However, i've managed to do a bit of scenic work around what was the oil depot siding.

post-13704-0-83325500-1496649448_thumb.jpg

post-13704-0-68562600-1496649545_thumb.jpg

Still a bit of work to do, and the loading dock needs finishing off and blending in. I think they'll be a couple of trees and a bit of fencing.

But the oil depot hasn't been completely forgotten about. This will be put on a new board to go between the current scenic part of the layout and the fiddle yard, but is a fair way off at the moment....

Edited by Geep7
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I've also been steadily working on my Lima Class 117 DMU. This has now been expanded out to a 3 car set with the addition of a TCL... Just slowly adding the laserglaze, which is a great product, but very slow work on a unit with so many windows.

post-13704-0-00913600-1496651367_thumb.jpg

post-13704-0-86405000-1496651417_thumb.jpg

Does look as though there is a bit of a Western Region invasion with the Hymek on the freight.

post-13704-0-15104300-1496651749_thumb.jpg

However, there is documented evidence of Hymeks working on the Reading to Redhill line, so not much of a stretch that one would reach Blackhurst.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Is the layout portable and do you plan to exhibit it?

Yes, it's portable (4 x 2'6" scenic boards + 1 x 5' fiddle yard) and it's already done one exhibition (last September), but I haven't had any more invites so far.

That suits me for now, due to current family & work commitments, but would love to take it back out on the road soon.

Yes, it's portable (4 x 2'6" scenic boards + 1 x 5' fiddle yard) and it's already done one exhibition (last September), but I haven't had any more invites so far.

That suits me for now, due to current family & work commitments, but would love to take it back out on the road soon.

What area are you in? PM me if you'd prefer?

I never saw a Hymek on passenger at Redhill (which isn't to say that it didn't happen), but they were a daily feature on a freight service that arrived from Reading late-morning and returned early-afternoon. IIRC at least some of the sand traffic went that way, and coal from South Wales came in the other direction. There used to be a lot of interesting shunting of freight in the small up-side yard at Redhill, with a shunting loco employed there across the middle of the day.

K

• RMweb Gold

I never saw a Hymek on passenger at Redhill (which isn't to say that it didn't happen), but they were a daily feature on a freight service that arrived from Reading late-morning and returned early-afternoon. IIRC at least some of the sand traffic went that way, and coal from South Wales came in the other direction. There used to be a lot of interesting shunting of freight in the small up-side yard at Redhill, with a shunting loco employed there across the middle of the day.

K

There is a photo in one of my Dad's or my books (Heyday of the Hymeks I think) of a Hymek at Redhill on a Bullied 3-car set. However i'm sure that's dated about 1963, a bit early for my supposed timeframe, but at least within the realms of possibility.

Edited by Geep7

• RMweb Gold

What area are you in? PM me if you'd prefer?

PM sent.

Re: 98

Bit early for my train-watching days, too.

There was a turn rostered for a small GWR 4-6-0 at that period, to allow WR crews to retain route knowledge, much photographed, so my guess is that the Hymek was the successor/stand-in for that, in the interim until the Tadpoles swum in.

Do flag when the layout next goes public; I'm sure I'm not the only one who would really like to see it.