West Sands - BR (SR) Electrified south coast branch terminus - MISSING PHOTOS SLOWLY BEING RESTORED

Geep7

This discussion about the transformer is fascinating, even though I understand little of the terminology. But Zomboid mentioned the Sheppey branch at 33Kv, and I have to model the 1959 sub-station at Queenborough. It does not have any of the outside raft arrangements, except two external transformers, adjacent to the L-shaped sub-station building, which itself is similar to the one pictured.

I was just wondering why the difference?

• RMweb Gold

Geep

I ought to know exactly what HV cable was used Barnham to Bognor, 3x1c or 1x3c, because guess who oversaw the replacement of it in the early-1980s ....... but, I'm blowed if I can remember!

Anyway, if you look in this article, and keep scrolling down, there is a good picture of Finchdean Sub on the Portsmouth Line, which shows the three-core to single-core trifurcation, and also shows how the sealing-ends (special type of insulator), are positioned on top of the concrete 'ears' , so that a single-core enters at the bottom of each. http://www.davidheyscollection.com/page32.htm

Can't find exact details, but I am pretty sure that the Brighton Line used 3x1c, and I know Portsmouth and Reading used 1x3c ....... when they moved from one to the other????

I apologise for getting awfully 'train-spottery' over this ......... I promise I won't complain if what you create is a sketch, rather than a perfect miniature!

Kevin

I found a picture of the Barnham substation looking from the Bognor direction, but it's a bit too far away to see if it goes from 3 cables to 1.... I think it will probably look more interesting with 3 cables to 1, so i'll go for that.

No need to apologise for being 'train-spottery'. I'd rather get it as close to prototypical as possible, even if it's not 100%.

This discussion about the transformer is fascinating, even though I understand little of the terminology. But Zomboid mentioned the Sheppey branch at 33Kv, and I have to model the 1959 sub-station at Queenborough. It does not have any of the outside raft arrangements, except two external transformers, adjacent to the L-shaped sub-station building, which itself is similar to the one pictured.

I was just wondering why the difference?

Technology had moved on in the 20+ years since the SRs 1930s schemes is the basic reason, and indoor 33kV switchgear was the norm. The busbars and live equipment was oil filled and insulated (I think), whereas the raft stuff is primarily air insulated, except the breakers which are oil filled.

At least until I'm proven wrong...

Queenborough is an unusual one too, as it has a grid connection.

Edited by Zomboid
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Having not found any prototypical design information of SR substations, I elected to do my own research.

A couple of years ago I photographed Willingdon SS (near Eastbourne) for details of its HT rafts, breakers, etc and the brick built rectifier building at the Portslade SS.

Using Google Earth, I was able to scale acceptable dimensions by comparison with known objects and vehicles (buses) and together with the photographs I produced the results below using mainly Plasticard/Plastruct and wire. I was unable to photograph an oil cooled transformer myself and so this was scratch built using photos from books. Close scrutiny will show I have yet to provide LT cables from the transformer to the building .... one day perhaps!

Maybe these pics will be of some use.

post-28573-0-47042600-1548235804_thumb.jpeg

post-28573-0-75852900-1548235905_thumb.jpeg

post-28573-0-82012600-1548235932_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Gold

Having not found any prototypical design information of SR substations, I elected to do my own research.

A couple of years ago I photographed Willingdon SS (near Eastbourne) for details of its HT rafts, breakers, etc and the brick built rectifier building at the Portslade SS.

Using Google Earth, I was able to scale acceptable dimensions by comparison with known objects and vehicles (buses) and together with the photographs I produced the results below using mainly Plasticard/Plastruct and wire. I was unable to photograph an oil cooled transformer myself and so this was scratch built using photos from books. Close scrutiny will show I have yet to provide LT cables from the transformer to the building .... one day perhaps!

That's fantastic modelling, and also very useful. Thank you for sharing.

I've not seen that picture before, so thanks for sharing. Every bit of info. I can get really helps.

Regarding the feeder wire, I think i'll do some more research. None of the wires are glued yet, so still time to change it.

I imagine the closest substation to the location would be Barnham Junction, unless there is one in the Chichester area that i'm unaware of. But I guess any that are on the West Coastway route would be a good example.

According to Southern Electrics book there is a map of the network dated 1938. This shows substations around Barnham junction, Chichester and between Barnham and Ford.

Keith HC

Edited by KeithHC
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

That's fantastic modelling, and also very useful. Thank you for sharing.

A very nice substation!

Thank you for your kind comments.

Also for not pointing out the conductor rail adjacent to the SS should be in the 6' for safety reasons or at the very least have protector boards...ouch! The third rail was laid before the substation location was chosen. Another job perhaps, for later.

• Like 1

One solution, if you can get it clear of the kinematic envelope, would be to put a concrete "door step", with a simple, waist-height railing across the end, to stop people walking straight out of the door onto the CR, or under a passing train. perfectly prototypical in a location like that, but there'd almost certainly be boarding too.

The biggest issue really, and I'm not sniping, is that there is no "apron" outside the rectifier room door, which would make it pig-difficult to load equipment in or out, but IIRC there are some real places almost as bad as that.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One solution, if you can get it clear of the kinematic envelope, would be to put a concrete "door step", with a simple, waist-height railing across the end, to stop people walking straight out of the door onto the CR, or under a passing train. perfectly prototypical in a location like that, but there'd almost certainly be boarding too.

The biggest issue really, and I'm not sniping, is that there is no "apron" outside the rectifier room door, which would make it pig-difficult to load equipment in or out, but IIRC there are some real places almost as bad as that.

Very good points, all noted and now on the "to do" list. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

So, a new RMWeb, and a new picture to celebrate.

375293638_DSC_2255altered.jpg.5acabea19cb0adca67afb15e69adc77f.jpg

Brush Type 4 no. D1934 waits to leave West Sands with an inter-regional to Manchester, whilst 2H No. 1122 departs with a service to Southampton.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday BRCW Type 3 D6511 and 3-TC 422 took a trip from West Sands to Alton.

1833980381_2019-02-0413_12_52.jpg.4f457da32df86cd711b606b5feace792.jpg

985151886_2019-02-0413_13_40.jpg.4f63c2d9b2283c2d7a1e4ecb67192a94.jpg

Both of these pictures were taken on the Railway Enthusiast Club's 4mm scale layout Alton, which is an almost scale representation of Alton as it was in the late 50's/early 60's. When set up in exhibition mode the layout is almost 60ft long, but unfortunately our clubrooms are too small for this, so only the main station area is put up with special end boards used just in the clubroom.

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/01/2019 at 09:33, Right Away said:

post-28573-0-47042600-1548235804_thumb.jpeg

post-28573-0-75852900-1548235905_thumb.jpeg

post-28573-0-82012600-1548235932_thumb.jpeg

Superb modelling there !  It’s now becoming  increasing difficult to model these older structures as many are now being replaced/upgraded

. Seeing the degree of detail this model possess will for many be a lasting reminder to past technology.  

Interesting to note the design differences between rail and National Grid substations.

D30613B9-C4A7-42DC-A2FC-6832385E206F.jpeg

E1878FC1-D8D9-4A67-AC74-8267074BC975.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Gold

I think these fantastic models are going to put my own substation in the shade.

Current progress is slow. I've been distracted by finishing off my MLV, and some DIY jobs around the house. Think I might get a chance to do some this afternoon though.

• RMweb Gold

So, a bit of slow progress on the Substation yesterday evening.

Here it is in its entirety:

1773245768_2019-03-0409_02_51.jpg.54dd9ad5fafb50a3ea1633402183ec63.jpg

I'm unsure whether to raise it up any higher, say to about the same height as the retaining wall for the embankment alongside, and remove the wall from behind it to make it more low relief. Would appreciate everyone else's thoughts on this.

As can be seen, i've made a start on the transformer. Not 100% accurate, but I think it looks OK.

1420806114_2019-03-0409_03_47.jpg.14f29ea224c7d2f78bedae42dbf9d7a1.jpg

Still a lot of bits that I want to add to it though.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I've spent most of the past week getting the MLV to the stage below. Just requires decals, jumper cables and glazing. I'll number it as one of the last MLV's to get repainted from Green to Blue & Grey. 

20190310_080937.jpg.f3165f58b82bb2b6a1cc2a92cb16989c.jpg

Spent a rather enjoyable day at the Basingstoke show yesterday, and managed to pick up a couple of Blue & Grey Mk1 SK's, some security fencing for the substation, and a few lengths of plastruct U channel to build some cable runs.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

So I broke the promise to myself that I would finish one end of the layout first.

I had a couple of days off work recently, and couldn't pass the opportunity to work on the Station Building baseboard away from the rest of the layout.

The result is now the roadway is down and blended in with the road crossing, and the path and steps around the station building have been added.

20190324_101228.jpg.e1f8ec9bcf212c7f59ef07eaff0fa32d.jpg

20190324_101247.jpg.d83f1e05a1db146189100eab41b2183c.jpg

Fencing needs to be added along both sides of the road to the crossing. And I really need to do some more work on the station building.

Edited by Geep7
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

So for the past couple of weeks, i've slowly been doing some more on the station building end of the layout, however thoughts keep turning back to the substation.

I'm really in a quandary as to whether it actually fits on the layout. What I mean is, is the space available enough?

It feels rather cramped, and i'm starting to wonder if the layout really actually needs it, considering it is meant to be the end of a single line branch of only 10 miles or so.

Edited by Geep7

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

To be honest it does look a bit cramped in that location.

I do wonder if I can scale down the substation building slightly to make it not look so cramped.

Either that or maybe I should just make a TP building instead, but i'm not sure if that is appropriate either.

• RMweb Gold

OK, so i've lopped off the back of the substation and pushed it back against the retaining wall. It's looking a bit better, and there is more of a gap between the building and the track.

I've turned the transformer as well, which now doesn't take up as much width. Still going to be a bit of a squeeze though. 

20190415_215827.jpg.0e00713c9273fbc9148a62879458c277.jpg

Let me know what you all think?

• Like 5

The room at the back that you've sliced-off would have housed cooling equipment for the original, water-cooled, mercury arc rectifier. Once the rectifiers were replaced with diode units (from about your period onwards), the "recooler room" got used as a store/junk room - one sub that I could name held a marvellous collection of racing bicycles, owned by a member of the maintenance team whose garden happily backed onto the sub.

If we assume your rectifier has been replaced, all is good.

I can't off-hand remember the position of the radiators on the transformers, but the way you have it now doesn't poke me in the eye.

In short, IMO a slightly compromised substation is better than no substation at all, even if the end of the line isn't the ideal place to put one.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1