West Sands - BR (SR) Electrified south coast branch terminus - MISSING PHOTOS SLOWLY BEING RESTORED

Geep7

See if you can find pictures of the Hayle Wharf branch.

I seem to remember an ungated level crossing over a crossroads in public roads giving access to an oil or chemical depot, at the bottom of a steep gradient. Flag man protection only. But, it was a long time ago!

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Loads of info and photos here http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/hayle-wharf-branches.html

Reading around, it looks as if chlorine, bromine, and oils were all transported by rail to/from Hayle.

Had a nice read of that page this evening. What an interesting subject, would make a lovely layout project all of it's own.... 

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Toton TMD from the air, looks remarkably similar in proportion to your road Chris.....

855798335_Screenshot_2020-02-17-19-27-542.png.fe72a2a2d88e1b2a1dc2191f940d234e.png

That's a very useful view. Although it shows a junction, I presume the width is to allow trucks to swing across.

• RMweb Gold

I've been doing a bit more scenic work this evening, blending in the newer section on fencing along the back scene, and some brick facing on the rear platform end.

It looks like I'll have to order some of the Ratio security fencing to surround the fuel sidings, as I thought I had some already, but don't.

I'm still not sure I want the solid concrete fencing panels along the edge of the road in front of the platform...... I think I'll probably do some of the 4' high mesh fencing with concrete posts, as I've found some pictures of Hayes, Kent station with it in the 70s..... unless anyone can confirm if it replaced any solid concrete fencing there previously?

Edited by Geep7

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Geep7 said:

Had a nice read of that page this evening. What an interesting subject, would make a lovely layout project all of it's own.... 

A 2mmFS model is being planned. There are a few random Blog entries about it, such as this one:

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I spent most of yesterday evening working with the security fencing, and trying to get the gates positioned correctly without anything hitting the posts. So using my longest vehicle (a Mk 1 which will never go down the sidings) I have finally come up with the below, which I'm rather happy with.

20200219_230218.jpg.c719660539a83f2f997dc73d750c96d2.jpg

The piece of cork glued down will be blended into the rest of the scenery next.

I've just got to figure out where to place the hand lever for the point. Either on really extended sleepers beyond the nearest gate, or perhaps a small ground frame alongside the point clear of the gate, with rodding to the point itself.....

Edited by Geep7
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Also, as can be seen in the background of the last photo, i've loosely placed some concrete fencing (which was along the small retaining wall of the oil depot) to see what it looks like.

I'm still not sure if I want more of this fencing, or some of the shorter 4' concrete security fencing, such as these at Hayes railway station.

https://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/show.htm?img=G-198-22&serial=3886&page=242

My own feeling is, purely on the aesthetic side if things, that the solid concrete fencing makes the end of the station feel really enclosed, and that if I had wire fencing, then you would be able to see through to the tracks and under frames of any trains beyond.

However, if the Southern would have used the same fencing around the entire station site, then I'll happily use the solid concrete fencing, especially as I already have it made up and painted.

• RMweb Gold

I would assume that the cheapest option to the job in hand would be used, solid panels when there is a likelihood of people pushing up against it or if it needs to corral people in a certain direction, and chain link fencing if it is only to delineate a boundary where there is not much danger of pedestrian access.

Mike.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I would assume that the cheapest option to the job in hand would be used, solid panels when there is a likelihood of people pushing up against it or if it needs to corral people in a certain direction, and chain link fencing if it is only to delineate a boundary where there is not much danger of pedestrian access.

Mike.

Ah, that makes sense.

Now I think about it, mostly where I've seen the chain link used it's been separating a car park from the railway, rather than a road.

In this instance, I guess they would more than likely use the concrete panelled stuff to stop anything leaving the roadway and getting on to the tracks, along with a barrier as suggested by Nearholmer.

I think you said this fence is the boundary of railway property, so very likely SR concrete post and panel, vast amounts of which was still doing its job c1970.

We've decided that a rail-built traffic barrier has been added on the road side as the risk of lorries running through the fence has been recognised, probably this barrier is quite new c1970, so the question is: did the concrete fence survive the installation of the barrier, or did it have to get replaced. If it got replaced, then concrete-post and chain-link.

Have a look at photos of Tonbridge for a long-lasting concrete boundary fence fest (lots on these pages http://www.kentrail.org.uk/Tonbridge (2).htm), and if you can find a picture, Eridge Down Bay for c1970 chain-link ........ the Bay was created by shortening back a loop and putting in a walkway from the car-park created after the goods yard closed, all around your date.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Informative/Useful 1

Right, here are a couple photographed from prints that I took, which might help - quality poor, I’m afraid, especially the first one which is about a tenth of a print.

Eridge Down Bay, with pathetic post and chain link between the car-park and the track. No vehicle barrier, but those egg-whisk mopeds wont get through! c1985.

F5AD6302-DAF4-4ED9-AA02-D134E9C5895C.jpeg.65bfe1227cd2deba94fc58c7b78a1c25.jpeg

Crowborough car park in 1974 when it hadn’t long been created, notice white rail-built vehicle barrier, and that the lighting columns are unpainted galvanised. The stations on the line were just getting converted from gas lighting, repainted from green/cream to black/white/red, new signage etc. That work spread over two or three years as one gang gradually worked along the branch, so it poses questions about which colour-scheme and signage West Sands should have.

C5EF9CF6-6133-4C28-B787-4C3A983BAA41.jpeg.ac2cadd32067034c4fbcb0d4f6558cd9.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Great photos there, lots of nice detail information.

As regards colour-scheme, West Sands is definitely pre-1974, in the 1968-1972 date range, so should still be the old signage and colours.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AireValley1962 said:

Meaning you could back date to late Southern BR steam era if you wished once in a while, methinks? 

Oh yes indeed. My father has a rather large collection of BR(S) steam era stock, which does get a run out every now and then.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

A better picture of the the typical vehicle barrier. http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/c/crowborough_and_jarvis_brook/index2.shtml

That's great, thank you. I've got some spare code 60 rail I can use. It looks like they are on wooden posts in that photo?

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

It’s all bullhead rail, the posts and the logitudinals.

Some of these were really OTT, with the posts closer together, and two rows of logitudinals.

Just had a look and i've realised the spare code 60 conductor rail I have is flat-bottomed.... will have to source some bullhead rail from somewhere.