West Sands - BR (SR) Electrified south coast branch terminus - MISSING PHOTOS SLOWLY BEING RESTORED

Geep7

• RMweb Gold
On 15/09/2020 at 16:22, leopardml2341 said:

West Sands MUST continue..........

Don't worry, it will continue, just it may regenerate, much like The Doctor, into something similar, but not quite the same. I am rather attached to the name. Now, how do I go about copyrighting a layout name..... :jester:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Happy new year to all following the West Sands thread. Hope 2021 is a much better year for you all. Stay safe.

PSX_20210101_115132.jpg.135d59c2a3d83578529760b7da4bf417.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

So, West Sands still slumbers in it's hibernation, whilst I continue with sorting out the house and a slight distraction into Spanish outline.... however, I recently discovered the Dapol spares at DCC Supplies, and purchased a couple of sets of Class 73 jumper cables and horns for my Lima 73's.

Here is a comparison photo between one with the new cables and horns, and the other with the original Lima ones still in place. A small change, but worth the effort I think.

20210403_140555.jpg.b1081d52d7ee20843befea60277068b2.jpg

Edited by Geep7
  • Like 6

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

So it's another year on, and post the RMWeb downtime, I thought I should give an update to the West Sands thread. As some may notice, a lot of the photos aren't currently there in the thread. Hopefully this is just temporary, or i'll have to have a look at restoring them, if I can.

Sadly it's not all great news on the West Sands front. The much hoped for house moved has not come to fruition due to various reasons, and we have decided to stay put where we are, probably until my son is through full-time education. Having done some renovations to our home has meant i've lost the main space in the master bedroom where West Sands used to be erected, however, to be honest i'm a lot happier without the layout over the bed (as is my wife). I've also been rather taken with my Spanish outline modelling (scratchbuilding everything except the stock and track has been rather cathartic), but I still am modelling British outline (more of which at the end of this post).

The good news is that I do have space in the living room (after some furniture is moved round) to put up a layout temporarily over a weekend. There is enough length to fit a layout about 16 feet long (my Spanish layout at 15ft6 fits comfortably). However, i'm not sure I would be able to fit West Sands in that space with a fiddle yard attached.

Currently West Sands is still being stored in the garage, wrapped in thick polythene sheet. I have a concern that the baseboards may have warped in the time they have been out there. Before I took West Sands down, i'd noticed a dip in a couple of boards (I should have guessed this would happen with thin ply baseboards), and I dare not look, in case they have gotten worse.

I am hopefully going to be getting a decent shed at some point, which I intend to line out and use as a workshop / storage space for my layouts. My current quandary though is, do I keep West Sands as is, or do I dismantle it, in the hope of making something better in the future? I guess I need to check the condition of West Sands first.

As mentioned above, I am still modelling British outline, and have made a start on building a small shunting layout on a couple of Ikea shelves which I am documenting in this thread: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/170704-so-i-bought-a-lack-shelf/). However, this doesn't give me anywhere to run my 4-car EMU's, so maybe a larger layout might be in the offing once I have the new shed.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• Geep7 changed the title to West Sands - BR (SR) Electrified south coast branch terminus - MISSING PHOTOS SLOWLY BEING RESTORED