West Sands - BR (SR) Electrified south coast branch terminus - MISSING PHOTOS SLOWLY BEING RESTORED

Geep7

only just found this thread. Remember it well from Woking as it was one my favourites to stand and watch, taking in all the little details.

Reminds me of when I was a kid seeing Readings southen lines and what was left of Reading South station.

Very nice indeed.

cheers Trailrage

• RMweb Gold

Not really much to update on since the Woking show. I've not had any more invites so far, so decided to take a bit if a break from Blackhurst, having spent rather a large amount of the previous 6 months trying to finish the layout for the show.

However I have made a start of replacing the oil depot. I wasn't really satisfied with the one i'd originally made, and the more i've looked, I felt it dominated the front of the layout too much, so out go the 2 big storage tanks to be replaced with a couple of smaller tanks further to the left-hand side. I'm hoping to make a start on finishing this in the new year.

Other than that, i've done a quick project to convert a Lima 117 DMBS to the correct DMS.

Will try and add a few more updates and pics in the next few days.

And lastly, Merry Christmas to you all.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris -

This is my first post so hope this is alright, but I was just looking over some small layouts and rediscovered Blackhurst through this thread. I remember it from the Woking exhibition and it was one of my favourites, giving me some ideas for a layout I'll hopefully be starting soon.

I filmed a few minutes of the layout's operation (you may remember me standing around for some time with a big furry ball (microphone) atop my camera.

You can see the footage here (from 9:45 to about 12:30) if you are interested. https://youtu.be/VaVkVY_e99M?t=9m45s

All the best-

Edited by Crackers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

So it's been a while since I last did anything really meaningful with Blackhurst, bar the odd operating session. But now with Christmas well and truly out of the way, and the house back in order, i've been able to start getting a new oil depot made. As previously said, i'be never been 100% happy with the original, especially as it seemed to block the view across the layout, something that is especially noticeable in Crackers video.

So first things first, i've removed the old oil depot and clean the area up.

post-13704-0-52004000-1485110405_thumb.jpg

The area to the right of the board join will be where the tanks are located, and the area the left of the join will be the lorry loading area (where the lorry is in the photo)

I'd already made the tanks up back in the autumn, and here they are. The smaller horizontal tanks are from an old Ratio kit that had been used on a previous layout many moons ago, and the tall tanks are from a Knightwing kit.

post-13704-0-74615700-1485110729_thumb.jpg

So today I made a start on the bund for the tanks, the surface of the bund is slightly sloped, hence the cut-outs for the tanks.

post-13704-0-66124100-1485110969_thumb.jpg

Finally a couple of shots of the bund with the tanks located, the last couple of shots in position on the layout.

post-13704-0-21471400-1485111121_thumb.jpg

post-13704-0-26296000-1485111156_thumb.jpg

post-13704-0-98362900-1485111175_thumb.jpg

post-13704-0-94214700-1485111198_thumb.jpg

I think it looks a lot better and allows an uninterrupted view across to the platform ends and the signal box, especially for photographs.

post-13704-0-95673500-1485112261_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris -

This is my first post so hope this is alright, but I was just looking over some small layouts and rediscovered Blackhurst through this thread. I remember it from the Woking exhibition and it was one of my favourites, giving me some ideas for a layout I'll hopefully be starting soon.

I filmed a few minutes of the layout's operation (you may remember me standing around for some time with a big furry ball (microphone) atop my camera.

You can see the footage here (from 9:45 to about 12:30) if you are interested. https://youtu.be/VaVkVY_e99M?t=9m45s

All the best-

Thank you for sharing this on the thread, I had noticed it on Youtube, and very good it is too, just a pity my layout wasn't performing 100%.

Hopefully you will get another chance to see it out on the exhibition circuit at some point.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So I spent some time on Friday evening and yesterday modifying the uncoupling magnets.

The original method was to have a single 3mm round neodymium magnet beside each rail to attract the Kadee coupler.

However, this was less than successful, as already mentioned earlier in the thread. The main issue was with the poles of the magnets vertical to the rails, so rather than pull the Kadee pin across, it was pulling them down.

Having done a bit of looking around the net at other people's experiences with them, i've experimented with placing the magnets between the rails as in the picture below.

post-13704-0-70363400-1485702686_thumb.jpg

This seems to have done the trick, and works really positively, so i've started modifying the rest of the magnet positions. I may at a later date add a 3rd row of magnets to make uncoupling easier.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Is that three magnets together (in each bank) or is there a spacer in between? I'm assuming a spacer?

It's three magnets together, so you get the North Pole on one rail and the South Pole on the other. Each magnet is 4mm long, so that means 12mm of magnet and ensures that the Kadee pin gets pulled right across for delayed uncoupling. I'll see if I can do a video of them in action.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's three magnets together, so you get the North Pole on one rail and the South Pole on the other. Each magnet is 4mm long, so that means 12mm of magnet and ensures that the Kadee pin gets pulled right across for delayed uncoupling. I'll see if I can do a video of them in action.

Great, thanks for clarifying.

• RMweb Gold

I've also done something today that i've been meaning to do since the Exhibition in September.

My Bachmann Class 08 has been out of action pretty much, as it wasn't running properly, which I traced to those awful pickups Bachmann have insisted on using (this is the "improved" version as well). So i've added new pickups underneath the loco.

post-13704-0-12965600-1485715563_thumb.jpg

It will run through my double-slip at a nice crawl, without a hint of stalling.

post-13704-0-12204900-1485715659_thumb.jpg

That's another task off the list.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Something I have realised looking at that last photo, is the 08 needs renumbering from TOPS back to a D series number.

I've been scouring the Internet for an 08 based or pictured at Redhill in 1969, and stumbled across a couple of photos of D3045 in this RMWeb thread here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/37894-a-shunter-for-elm-park/

I hope the guys who built Elm Park / Burntwood Lane don't mind be borrowing the loco number, as it's a Feltham based 08, and I come from that area, so it would be a nice connection to have.

Just need to get hold of some number transfers now, as i'm not sure I have enough in stock.

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Colin.

I will freely admit that Newhaven Harbour was one of my influences when designing Blackhurst. I didn't think that it would look that similar though.

Many thanks Colin.

I will freely admit that Newhaven Harbour was one of my influences when designing Blackhurst. I didn't think that it would look that similar though.

No, it was just that one shot that caught my eye Chris.  (It was the first photo I saw when reading the topic backwards!)

Colin

• RMweb Gold

No, it was just that one shot that caught my eye Chris. (It was the first photo I saw when reading the topic backwards!)

Colin

Ah, I see what you mean. It wouldn't surprise me if i've seen a similar looking photo on the Newhaven Harbour thread.

Btw, moving slighty OT, purely by coincidence, Newhaven Harbour appeared in Railway Modeller the same month as my previous HO American layout appeared in Continental Modeller. Iirc, I think both were on the front cover.

I seem to remember you were going to sell NH? If so, do you know if it's still around?

Ah, I see what you mean. It wouldn't surprise me if i've seen a similar looking photo on the Newhaven Harbour thread.

Btw, moving slighty OT, purely by coincidence, Newhaven Harbour appeared in Railway Modeller the same month as my previous HO American layout appeared in Continental Modeller. Iirc, I think both were on the front cover.

I seem to remember you were going to sell NH? If so, do you know if it's still around?

Hi Chris, I think we have a similar taste in stock and motive power!  Indeed we have almost all of the Southern detailing in common: concrete walls; plate-layers' hut; Lamp posts, etc..  That is why one shot on your layout reminds  of a picture taken at an exhibtion of  NHH.   Newhaven Harbour has gone to a good home, with people who are full of fresh ideas.  I will say no more until they decide to reveal themselves.

I am rather taken with your station building, which looks almost like Arts and Crafts architecture.  I fancy a go at a model of a  T H Myres designed station building one day: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/95218-singleton-west-sussex/&do=findComment&comment=1769110   

Colin

Edited by Colin parks

Here's a close up pic of the platform starter signal. It's not 100% finished by a long shot, but it looks ok for now. However i'm debating whether to finish it, or go for an MSE kit.

attachicon.gif2016-09-02 08.05.38.jpg

The rest of your layout looks so consistent in the level of detail you have achieved Chris, so splash out on a MSE kit! 

Re. magnets.  I used reclaimed Geomag 5mm x 3mm magnets which came from an old set of my son's. The magnets were arranged in rows of five, which gave an operating zone of about 50mm.  They were retro-fitted like yours, the only thing that had to be carefully observed was to keep all the polarities the same way up.

Colin

Edited by Colin parks

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris, I think we have a similar taste in stock and motive power! Indeed we have almost all of the Southern detailing in common: concrete walls; plate-layers' hut; Lamp posts, etc.. That is why one shot on your layout reminds of a picture taken at an exhibtion of NHH. Newhaven Harbour has gone to a good home, with people who are full of fresh ideas. I will say no more until they decide to reveal themselves.

I am rather taken with your station building, which looks almost like Arts and Crafts architecture. I fancy a go at a model of a T H Myres designed station building one day: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/95218-singleton-west-sussex/&do=findComment&comment=1769110

Colin

Thanks for the link to the video, some great shots there. The station building I built was based on an LSWR North Cornwall plan I found. I didn't realise quite how appropriate the design was for a station located in Sussex, although West Sussex for mine.

I grew up not far from the Waterloo to Reading line near Feltham. Some of my earliest memories are of Blue/Grey Vep's, Haps (probably just about still in Blue), and I would imagine Subs, going across the level crossing at Feltham station. I then spent the best part of 20 years living right next to the Reading to Guildford line, so no surprises I have a soft spot for EMU's, 73's, Cromptons and pretty much all things Southern.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The rest of your layout looks so consistent in the level of detail you have achieved Chris, so splash out on a MSE kit!

Re. magnets. I used reclaimed Geomag 5mm x 3mm magnets which came from an old set of my son's. The magnets were arranged in rows of five, which gave an operating zone of about 50mm. They were retro-fitted like yours, the only thing that had to be carefully observed was to keep all the polarities the same way up.

Colin

I think an MSE kit will be the way to go. I've seen some made up by one of the chaps at the REC, and they are incredibly finely detailed. My biggest problem which i've only recently discovered is that the signal is right over a board crossmember, so if I wanted it to operate, i'll have to think of an ingenious solution......

• RMweb Gold

So stage 1 of renumbering the 08 is complete. I've removed the logos and numbers, as the BR logo should be on the cab-side for D3045. The coupling rods have been painted red (although looks like the could do with a bit of a touch up in places) and some of the handrails painted rail blue.

post-13704-0-77751300-1486113452_thumb.jpg

I'm debating about moving the overhead warning flashes, as the tampo printing is a pain to remove.

All that's left is to add the numbers and logos, source some nose end ladder's and give it a bit of weathering.

Edited by Geep7
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

So the Class 08 is finished, except the ladders, and a bit of weathering.

post-13704-0-77071000-1490033630_thumb.jpg

There is also a new visitor to Blackhurst.

post-13704-0-94993800-1490033720_thumb.jpg

This is a much worked on Lima Class 117. The DMS has been recreated by cutting and shutting sides from about donor coach. The first window behind each cab has also been altered to be the correct size.

It's just awaiting transfers, laserglaze and a bit of weathering on the bodies.

The mechanics have been upgraded slightly with an ex-CD tray motor replacing the original. It has been wired up with an NCE DCC decoder, and it runs much smoother now, although does shift like a scalded cat, but a bit of CV adjustment should solve that.

A couple more photos below.

post-13704-0-32077700-1490034126_thumb.jpg

post-13704-0-92553700-1490034161_thumb.jpg

post-13704-0-60748600-1490034176_thumb.jpg

I've also been working on the 3/4-TC set, which i've updated in it's thread in the Modifying RTR section.

*edited for autocorrect misspellings

Edited by Geep7
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

OK, so i'm in a little bit of a quandary at the moment.

As shown quite a few posts back, i've started to rebuild the fuel oil depot, however i've not gotten much further with it, and my thoughts have started to think whether I should have a fuel oil depot there at all. The oil tanker train I have could appear on the layout by arriving too or from the fuel depot off-scene, run-round, and the depart.

So I have a few ideas and options:

A. Leave the oil depot where it is, and finish off what's there.

B. Convert the siding to have an unloading dock, and then have it be used for engineers stock.

C. Convert the siding to have a goods shed, with the unloading dock on the coal siding.

So any thoughts from the RMWebbers out there? Any advice gladly taken. Many thanks.

Edited by Geep7

So any thoughts from the RMWebbers out there? Any advice gladly taken. Many thanks.

Why not halve it's size, add a fuelling point and use it as an excuse to 'trip in' light engines, off say excursion trains, for fuelling from an imaginary terminus nearby?