BR 20T Coke Hopper diagram 1/150

macgeordie

That's about it in a nutshell. Now what I want to now is, how did they close the bottom doors on 16 ton minerals tat had them fitted?

P

How did they open?

If they were hinged towards the centre line I would think it would be about the same only using the vee hanger as the pivot.

When you think about it the doors would not be that heavy say about 25 pounds.

OzzyO.

Hello Ian, all,

the maps as promised, the first one showing most of the lines in Cumbria.

post-8920-0-50212900-1467723792.jpg

A close up showing most of the main lines. For Grange Over Sands read Barrow-in-Furness.

post-8920-0-24270200-1467723793.jpg

From Workington it's much the same, if your not sure where Workington is it's to the west of Cockermouth.

post-8920-0-96322000-1467723793_thumb.jpg

The maps are copyright to Dalesman publishing.

OzzyO.

• Like 1

I think you would be hard pushed to see them carrying Co. Durham produced coke over the Stainmore line. Laterly, wooden  20 ton and steel 21 ton hoppers predominated on coke traffic on the route. Even the daily block train flow from Consett Fell coke ovens to Dringhouses yard and beyond used 16 tonners. They could be seen occasionally but usually transiting to Shildon Yard for repair & maintenance at the wagonworks.

P

I think you would be hard pushed to see them carrying Co. Durham produced coke over the Stainmore line. Laterly, wooden  20 ton and steel 21 ton hoppers predominated on coke traffic on the route. Even the daily block train flow from Consett Fell coke ovens to Dringhouses yard and beyond used 16 tonners. They could be seen occasionally but usually transiting to Shildon Yard for repair & maintenance at the wagonworks.

P

Hello Porcy,

I'm not sure what your saying? In your first part of your reply you say "you would be hard pushed to see them carrying coke over the Stainmoor line". Then you say "that 20ton and 21ton  hoppers predominated on coke traffic on the route". Up until A the line or B the iron works closed a lot of Barrow drivers had this route down in their route  book up to Kirby Stephen East.

Photo of a full train heading west,

post-8920-0-89979700-1467744935.jpg

Photo of a empty train heading east.

post-8920-0-26697400-1467744935.jpg

Both photos copyright to Dalesman publishing.

OzzyO.

Hello OzzyO,

Apologies. I may not of made myself very clear.

What I meant was, unlike with the "Barrow empties" you would rarely (if ever) see block trains of loaded coke & empties on the Stainmore line made up of specifically and exclusively from the LMS/BR diagram 1/150 (and derivatives of) as in Ian's kit. In revenue traffic they where rare on the Durham side of the Pennines considering it was one of the UK's biggest regions for producing iron/steel industry grade coke.

I suppose the reason for this was the NER and it's successors in North East England was well endowed with bottom discharge wagon from the onset. The NER  carried out a major survey into the most cost effective means of transporting minerals to Cumbria via the Stainmore route proving how much revenue this traffic and route generated for them.

P

I wonder if they used 20t/21t hoppers so that they could back-load them with either coal or iron ore from the Cumbrian mines? The Coke wagons wouldn't pass under most screens.

Hello Brian,

I don't think that happened for number of reasons, the Cumberland and north Lancashire iron works needed all the iron ore they could get. Also IIRC the Cumberland coal was not that good for cokeing.

The other thing to think about is that coke is about half the weight to volume of coal, then to iron ore about a quarter to volume.  

OzzyO.

• RMweb Premium

What I meant was, unlike with the "Barrow empties" you would rarely (if ever) see block trains of loaded coke & empties on the Stainmore line made up of specifically and exclusively from the LMS/BR diagram 1/150 (and derivatives of) as in Ian's kit.

P

I came across a photo in David Larkins book Working Wagons volume 1 the other day of B448206 which is a diagram 151 wagon and it is lettered on the side 'To work between Hemsworth coke ovens and Barrow Iron works'. Hemsworth is to the northeast of Barnsley in the South Yorkshire coalfields so this would back up my friends siting of the Barrow empties heading down through Leeds. Needless to say from OssyO's maps this train could not have gone through Kirkby Stephen West so I will have to find another excuse to have an empty coke train going down the S&C, anybody got any bright ideas?

Ian

so I will have to find another excuse to have an empty coke train going down the S&C, anybody got any bright ideas?

Ian

It is your time machine, fly it any way you like. If it is possible or even plausible, then leave it up to others to prove you wrong.

Hi Ian

Emptys heading south through Leeds could be for Barrow Colliery south of Barnsley, originally owned I think, by the Barrow Haemotite Co.

As kids we lived about a mile away. There was a footpath through the pit yard and I can't believe how close we used to stand, looking over the low wall as the hot coke dropped into the coke car on the other side. Happy days.

David

• RMweb Premium

New shots of Preproduction models shown on Hornby Website!

Mark Saunders

I've just had a look at the Hornby website, and very nice models they are too. http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/br-20-ton-coke-wagon-3.html?___SID=U it looks like they will be out at Christmas. 

I've just finished the drawings for the slab sided diagram 1/152-2 so I'll be sending all the drawings off this weekend to get the final test etches. If I'm happy with those I will make the kits available to forum members.

Ian

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The test build for the diagram 1/152-2 (slab sided) version of the wagon is finally completed. Everything went pretty well to plan but I am going to tweak a couple of minor things to improve the fit of a couple of the parts and get another tool made.

Here is the completed model (almost, I still need to fit the axle boxes and springs)

post-6711-0-71219200-1470240629_thumb.jpg

post-6711-0-65749400-1470240651_thumb.jpg

post-6711-0-60262500-1470240671_thumb.jpg

All four variants of the wagon can be produced from the three etches. The diag 150 and 152-2 from different etches and the diag 151 or 152-1 from the third etch. 

A number of members have shown an interest in having one or two of these kits, and it looks like the final cost will be about £27 per kit plus p&p

If you would like any please pm me so I can build up a list and get some idea of how much additional material I will need to purchase to complete the kits on top of the etches. It will probably be a month or so before I can actually supply the kits.

Ian

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've finally completed the last of the test build and I am happy that everything fits the way I want it to. Here are a couple of pics of the diagram 151 and the 152-2 wagon I have just completed. I am going to the Missenden modellers weekend at the end of this month, so I think I will take all of these test builds with me to do a painting and weathering job on them. I will post some photos of them when I get back, unless of course I make a dogs breakfast of them !!!

post-6711-0-27980200-1473447560_thumb.jpg

post-6711-0-64151500-1473447575_thumb.jpg

post-6711-0-16900400-1473447590_thumb.jpg

I will be ordering the etches for everybody who has requested them on Sunday, so if anybody else wants one or two let me know by pm before then.

It looks like the final cost per kit will be £26.80 plus £3 p&p for any number of kits.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I had a most enjoyable weekend at Missenden and learned a lot of new techniques and tricks for painting and weathering.  Managed to get a Derby Lightweight, a Midland 2P and a Midland 1F half cab weathered as well as doing a lot of work on the 6 hoppers from the test builds.

Here are some pictures of the hoppers, Tim Shackleton did a fair bit of work on them as well as me while we were at Missenden and I did a bit more when I got home. I've applied the transfers over gloss varnish, (Johnsons Klear) but the carrier film is still visible so I will have to go over them with some matt varnish when everything else is done. I've ordered some PanPastel Artists pastels which are a very good alternative to powders as they actually stick to the paint.

post-6711-0-10559700-1475848610_thumb.jpg

post-6711-0-01130900-1475848627_thumb.jpg

post-6711-0-78323800-1475848643_thumb.jpg

The weathering is based on a number of the photos on Paul Bartletts website. I particularly like the top left one, A friend of mine who worked on the railway and saw these wagons regularly said to me he often saw a wagon or two in a train with a big patch of fresh orange rust where the coke had been loaded into the wagon before it was fully quenched. Consequently it caught fire again in the wagon and burnt off the paint (and old rust) so after a few days the wagon rusted again with a big patch of new rust.

Edited by macgeordie
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

What is the Pensnet version? I've never heard of it.

Ian

Mods to the hopper doors, IIRC. Other than the prominent lettering, I'm not sure there was an easily visible/noticable change? Appears to be all-welded hoppers only,

There were other variations:

Calicinated Coke - load needed to be kept dry, so the side raves were replaced with solid sheet and an off-centre fixed tarpaulin bar fitted. 22 conversions, all from the vac-piped 152-1 batch, diagram 1/158

Sand hopper - 1/150s (and one 1/151) with most/all of the raves removed and supports cut away to leave a low hopper wagon. 45 conversions, only lasted a few years in use

Vacuum-braked - single wagon B449190. 1/152-2 body, roller bearings, push brakes. Extended/additional outer hopper chutes. Not 100% sure where the vac cylinder was squeezed in - doesn't appear to be under the end slope as per 21t hops??. Letterered for PENSNETT, TOPS pool 7071, TOPS code HCV. I do /have a copy of a photo of this beast, but cannot share here due to copywrite.

The MRC Datafile (Aug 1983 issue) is the primary source of info. and there's some useful stuff on the em70s site: http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/project_cokehops.html

Edited by CloggyDeux

• RMweb Gold

Its the extended hopper chutes cloggy mentions that were the additional feature of the Pensnett circuit hoppers IIRC

They worked a LLantrisant - Kingswinford Junction circuit

Cheers

Phil