NGW Subscriptions

EddieB

The strange new world of Warners...

The website offers two direct debit options - you can either pay £18.90 bi-annually or £18.00 every six months.

Both appear to be for the same product.

Confused-of-somewhere-in-Essex.

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

As this topic is for NGW subscriptions hopefully it is the right place...

A couple of years ago I took out a digital subscription to NGW through Exact Editions, paying a grand total of £5 every 3 months (a lovely deal if I do say so myself!), however earlier this week I received an email from PayPal stating that my recurring payment had been cancelled. An email to Exact Editions today confirmed that NGW has stopped their partnership with NGW, and that all subscriptions had been cancelled...

Now, having checked the digital only subscriptions on the World of Railways site earlier today, I still get taken to the Exact Editions site!

So, my questions are:

Is there an equivalent online only subscription available? And if so, where?

Secondly, is it as good value as that previously offered through Exact Editions?

• Administrators

Hi all,

Apologies for the confusion. You're correct, we're moving the Narrow Gauge World Digital Edition service to Pocketmags. It's a service we've been using for BRM for a number of years with very few problems. The reason is two-fold:

1. Warners, as a company, work very closing with Pocketmags with all of our magazines. The service is great and we experience very healthy sales via this website. It makes sense to have all of our magazines available from one website.

2. There are also commercial reasons. £5 for 3 issues is an amazing deal for the consumer but very poor for the magazine publisher. I completely understand that most people won't care what we make from a sale, but without making a profit (albeit a small one) the future of the magazine is in jeopardy. Also, Exact Editions don't offer single issue sales or longer subscription options - a lot of readers have been asking for this. And, to be honest sales via this website were poor.

So, going forward NGW will be available by clicking here.

Unfortunately, it is more expensive but an annual subscription for £29.99 saves you over £10.50 a year. Remember, whilst we don't have print costs for the magazine we have to pay a % to Pocketmags and a % to other digital magazine providers like Apple or Android etc. Believe me, they want a fair chunk of the pie!

I'm sorry that this isn't such a good deal, but it still works out a fair bit cheaper than a print subscription.

Steve

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Apologies for the confusion. You're correct, we're moving the Narrow Gauge World Digital Edition service to Pocketmags. It's a service we've been using for BRM for a number of years with very few problems. The reason is two-fold:

1. Warners, as a company, work very closing with Pocketmags with all of our magazines. The service is great and we experience very healthy sales via this website. It makes sense to have all of our magazines available from one website.

2. There are also commercial reasons. £5 for 3 issues is an amazing deal for the consumer but very poor for the magazine publisher. I completely understand that most people won't care what we make from a sale, but without making a profit (albeit a small one) the future of the magazine is in jeopardy. Also, Exact Editions don't offer single issue sales or longer subscription options - a lot of readers have been asking for this. And, to be honest sales via this website were poor.

Unfortunately, it is more expensive but an annual subscription for £29.99 saves you over £10.50 a year. Remember, whilst we don't have print costs for the magazine we have to pay a % to Pocketmags and a % to other digital magazine providers like Apple or Android etc. Believe me, they want a fair chunk of the pie!

I'm sorry that this isn't such a good deal, but it still works out a fair bit cheaper than a print subscription.

Steve

Steve, 

Many thanks for your reply, it is greatly appreciated. 

I can completely understand that £5 for 3 issues isn't a great deal for the publisher, so happy to pay more in the hope that NGW will long continue! 

Neil

I am deeply dissappointed that as a subscriber I have found out about this by accident looking on here, rather than an email to my Exact account.

The huge advantage of Exact was the extensive back catalog - which was easily searched, and as a 'current subscriber' you had access too... 

I dislike Pocket Mags as an app - and much prefer Zinio or Exact, although Exact's option of the back catalog is excellent.

The price is a shame - as a result I suspect I will not be renewing which is a shame.

• RMweb Premium

I am deeply dissappointed that as a subscriber I have found out about this by accident looking on here, rather than an email to my Exact account.

The huge advantage of Exact was the extensive back catalog - which was easily searched, and as a 'current subscriber' you had access too... 

I dislike Pocket Mags as an app - and much prefer Zinio or Exact, although Exact's option of the back catalog is excellent.

The price is a shame - as a result I suspect I will not be renewing which is a shame.

I rather agree with James. I'm 'put out' that I had to find out by accident. My only notification was that my PayPal payment had been cancelled. I think I may also not renew, which as James alludes to, is a pity.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Steve

So we pay £22.50 for the 9 digital issues rather than £15 at present is that correct?

Bill

• Administrators

So we pay £22.50 for the 9 digital issues rather than £15 at present is that correct?

Bill

That's correct. 

Bill

No, it's £29.99 for the nine issues: £3.33 an issue. Apologies for the rushed reply above.

Do we still get access to the back issues with digital subs?

No. The earliest issue uploaded is June 2016.

• Administrators

Nice to see Warners are monitoring this closely - NOT!

I finish work at 5pm and whilst I occasionally monitor RMweb in my own time, I tend to spend my evenings with my family. We try to monitor the site more closely during working hours, but we all have magazines to get produced too. 

• RMweb Gold

What will happen to the pre June 2016 archive?

Bill

That would be useful to know, I got rid of all my back issues of NGW when I found the digital version offered on Exact Editions - meant I managed to free up some much needed space. Will be very disappointed if there is no archive facility for back issues,.

• Administrators

What will happen to the pre June 2016 archive?

Bill

We have them all on disc, but converting them to the correct format for the new Digital Edition service is fairly time consuming. We hope to start uploading more back issues, but this isn't confirmed.

• RMweb Gold

I finish work at 5pm and whilst I occasionally monitor RMweb in my own time, I tend to spend my evenings with my family. We try to monitor the site more closely during working hours, but we all have magazines to get produced too.

My caustic comment was because I had assumed that this was the official channel to comment on - I haven't noticed any communication to tell me that I won't receive any more editions of Narrow Gauge World from Exact as yet - I have taken Narrow Gauge World from when it emerged from being a couple of pages in Railway World and have enjoyed watching it grow.

• Administrators

My caustic comment was because I had assumed that this was the official channel to comment on - I haven't noticed any communication to tell me that I won't receive any more editions of Narrow Gauge World from Exact as yet - I have taken Narrow Gauge World from when it emerged from being a couple of pages in Railway World and have enjoyed watching it grow.

You'll keep receiving NGW from Exact until your subscription expires. You'll be receiving an email from me in the next two weeks, explaining the change and a special offer to move over to Pocketmags.

• RMweb Gold

You'll keep receiving NGW from Exact until your subscription expires. You'll be receiving an email from me in the next two weeks, explaining the change and a special offer to move over to Pocketmags.

Hate to say it but it would have been nice to have received this in the first place! Rather than an email from PayPal saying my subscription/recurring payment had been cancelled and then having to ask on here to find out what was going on!

• 1 month later...

As others have said, some advance notification would have been really helpful, rather than having my Exact subscription suddenly disappear. I have now subscribed through Pocketmags, and have got the current issue.

My question is how do I now access the past issues I had paid for through Exact Editions? In particular, I never got to finish reading the July and August issues. When I go to the Exact app on my iPad, I can only see issues that I had downloaded (but unfortunately I hadn't downloaded July or August when my subscription disappeared). The Exact Editions website says I have no magazines available even though I had been subscribing for a couple of years.

Archived