Trainspotting TV Show

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

If you think trainspotting is bad you should give lampost number collecting a go. We have a really hard time of it.

P

There used to be a fotopic site dedicated to photos of lamp-posts in the North West................... I've absolutely no idea how I got to know about it, :dontknow:

but I did a search on it and found some pictures of lamp-posts about 400 yards from where I live.

Reading Zoe's original email it does concern me that she's used train spotting as a synonym for rail enthusiasm. OTOH while the Toy Story on model railways did poke a bit of fun at the collectors who wouldn't dream of taking a rare model out of its packaging (remember "factory fresh") it portrayed blokes playing with trains as being normal, or at least as normal as James May .

• RMweb Gold

If you think trainspotting is bad you should give lampost number collecting a go. We have a really hard time of it.

P

Below we see the lengths some people will go to just to get a picture of a newly refurbished lamp post - even though there is clearly a vehicle approaching there is an "enthusiast" standing in the 25 foot, members of the public, keen to see "McLampys" return to service mill around without a care in the world.

post-6662-0-09181700-1456496334_thumb.jpeg

(Free license)

Taken by Ysangkok - Self-published work by Ysangkok, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1559543

• 2 months later...

I've just been chatting with the show's producer, Rory Barker, and can confirm that the three programmes will be filmed during June/July.

One of the elements will be 'Trainspotting Challenges' geared up towards the themes of the three shows, Steam, Diesel and of course Electric. The idea is to get out and about and witness, comment on and record the journey of a particular service. The services are still to be decided but certain good ideas are in mind. If anyone would like to put themselves forward to take part and be part of the show please feel free to get in touch with Rory at rory@plumpictures.co.uk.

You must know Claire Pendrous (not sure I've spelt that right) then? The lamppost enthusiast world can't be that big

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/8050359@N07/sets/72157602387618045/

There's probably just as many lampost enthusiasts as there are lamposts. They just don't know it yet.

P

Edited to insert missing words (Again)

There was a series called "Trainspotting" some years ago. It was presented by two blokes called Mark (I think one was a comedian), and it wasn't half bad-I've still got it on VHS.

Ed

Mark Found, he is a Sound Recordist ? Recorder? Sound Man? in the industry. He has also made programmes about modelling Garden Railway and HMS Fearless

• 1 month later...

More info on the content:

Details of Trainspotting Live

www.bbc.co.uk/trainspottinglive

Broadcast live from Didcot Rail Centre, in the middle of the Great Western Railway, Peter Snow is joined by some of the most enthusiastic and passionate train lovers, collectors and enthusiasts from across the country.

8pm Monday 11th July

Peter meets poet and rail fan Ian McMillan, challenging him to write a new poem about the iconic Flying Scotsman to images filmed by members of the public as the train went on a recent journey. Dr Hannah Fry adds mathematical insight to these incredible machines by exploring how these massive engines stay on the rails and the effect that the rail network had on timekeeping across the whole of the country.

Engineer Dick Strawbridge is in Doncaster on the trail of a workhorse of the network, the Class 66, and he also visits the National Railway Museum in York to explore how this most British of pastimes began. With spotters based across the length and breadth of the country, including resident spotter Tim Dunn in the Scottish Highlands tracking down the only steam engine working on the line during the live programme, Trainspotting Live provides a snapshot of the whole network during the hour, providing analysis and context, and revelling in this unique and wonderful world.

8pm Tuesday 12th July

Peter Snow and Dr Hannah Fry present live from Didcot Railway Centre. Peter is joined by Bob Gwynne, curator at the National Railway Museum, to apply his incredible knowledge of the British rail system to the live images coming in. Hannah is out and about at Didcot, working out the equations that meant that the move from steam to diesel power was inevitable. She also meets Sir Kenneth Grange, the man responsible for many design classics including the famous Intercity 125 which is this episode's focus for the spotters up and down the country. Dick Strawbridge is on the hunt for a very special example of that train in Swindon, and also meets the group trying to buy and preserve the original prototype.

Tim Dunn has moved south to Carlisle to spot one of the trainspotters' favourite locomotives, the Class 37. All of this, plus a man that has collected thousands of locomotive number plates and a short film about the 'flying banana'.

8pm Wednesday 13th July

In this final episode of the series from Didcot, Dr Hannah Fry and Peter Snow look towards the future of rail travel. Hannah explores how the timetables work and whether they can squeeze in extra capacity in the future. She also looks back to what the future could have looked like had Brunel's broad gauge track system become the standard over a hundred years ago. Engineer Dick Strawbridge meets some young volunteers who are preserving locomotives and learning the engineering techniques to keep the network running, and he is live from Clapham Junction, one of the busiest commuter rail stations in Europe.

Tim Dunn is after another live rare spot, a mail train which runs cards and letters around Britain and is powered by a unique class of locomotive. He also gets to ride on a train so futuristic it isn't even on the network yet. Back at Didcot, Peter is joined by Gerry Barney, who designed the British Rail logo, something that has stayed constant through years of rail upheaval and is still a design classic today.

Archived