Trainspotting TV Show

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Interesting bit in the new York control centre around 20 mins in . Pity to see signal boxes go etc, but such is progress.

Brit15

New York control centre? I thought this was in the UK?

;)

• RMweb Gold

Actually despite all the many cringe-inducing bits there were 3 sections that seemed to me quite well done for a more general audience:

York Control Centre

Girlie fireman on the Welshpool and Llanfair

Interview with Sir Kenneth Grange

If it is really as bad as you all reckon, there is scope for RMWeb to ride to the rescue tomorrow night.....

(I'm secretly hoping if I managed to get the text 'RMWeb.co.uk' into the final cut I'll win a limited edition Staffordshire Oatcake)

But I'm not convinced it was all that bad. As some have noted, the rough edges were noticeably smoothed this evening. I enjoyed the nod to industrial design and the Spotted Dick link ought to have got the programme commissioned on its own. I did a quick survey of the first two hundred or so channels on my TV in the run up to the show and found nothing that remotely interested me*. This did, so fair play to the team for giving it a go.

*OK, apart from Pointless.....

As I said 'live' earlier, the WLLR bit stood out for a nicely presented bit human interest. The proud dad and busy volunteering daughter scored points with our family demographic at home. My young son (2 years old) recognised 'Sir Drefaldwyn' after our visit to the line last week.... his eyes lit up. So yes, it is making links with the people previous posters have hoped it might.....

(I'm secretly hoping if I managed to get the text 'RMWeb.co.uk' into the final cut I'll win a limited edition Staffordshire Oatcake)

I'll cook you a proper Oatcake breakfast if you do Will! Mind you I must confess that I did parry an invitation to be on one of the programmes; face for radio and all that.

I noted at the end of tonight's programme that Tim Dunn will be at Stafford tomorrow evening; from things I have seen before that could be a curse rather than a blessing.

And yes; there was some interesting content in tonight's show.

Today's programme was a lot more polished than yesterday's, with smoother cuts from Didcot to the enthusiasts at other stations.  Again, the prepared segments, including the interview with Sir Kenneth Grange, were good.  I'm looking forward to tomorrow's episode now.

What happened to the D1000 'Western'?  Maybe they ran out of time today?

As they mention D1000 on the advert, they had better mention it on show.

I did a quick survey of the first two hundred or so channels on my TV in the run up to the show and found nothing that remotely interested me*.

*OK, apart from Pointless.....

What!? Did I miss something more intellectual?

Marginally better than last night for content, marginally worse for having Class 37s. Don't tell me I'm adicted to it enough to bother with Part 3. Masochist!

'bout 20:20 this evening. and I was scrolling through rmweb because there wasn't anything on the telly, apart from Trainspotting Live, and saw the post by "toffee" about 62005 which made me laugh (though to be fair it IS in the same power classification...) and about the class 37s.  Ugly?  Perhaps but also "purposeful" and "successful" considering that they first rolled out in 1960 and some are still working on the network.  

Anyhow, Culmheads post had me switch on to see if it was any better. I'd just settled down to watch, when the phone rang so I spent the rest of the show with the sound off.  The pre-filmed inserts were good, and I saw Peter Snow had got to grips with modern technology (a pinboard on an easel for spotting events) so perhaps he was more into his comfort zone!

So yes, perhaps we were a little too strong in our judgement yesterday.  It seemed more glass full today than the glass empty impression I got with the first programme!  I've got it recorded so I'll be able to revisit the good bits later in the week.

(Perhaps someone ought to have shown the producers some of the "Railway Roundabout" compilation DVDs?)

I noted at the end of tonight's programme that Tim Dunn will be at Stafford tomorrow evening

Doh.. I was half hoping they could engineer a link to 'Tim in Ruislip' for a bit of spotting further south (but you have to be a serious Malcolm Tucker anorak to get that one)

The live spotting in a station environment did work a whole lot better than on a remote trackside, despite the train showing up early.

• RMweb Premium

I'll cook you a proper Oatcake breakfast if you do Will! Mind you I must confess that I did parry an invitation to be on one of the programmes; face for radio and all that.

I noted at the end of tonight's programme that Tim Dunn will be at Stafford tomorrow evening; from things I have seen before that could be a curse rather than a blessing.

And yes; there was some interesting content in tonight's show.

Hope he doesn't find Stafford Railway Circle clubroom.

Still pretty bad but at least there were some interesting interludes, talking of which the potters wheel discussed elsewhere would have been more soothing than that complete prat Snow. Why are we subjected to and why do producers think we want loud, frenetic delivery with questions being fired with little interest in the response. Even Stick Drawbridge found himself filling time with loud and frenetic dross. Poor Bob Gwynn looked like he wanted to be somewhere else. All pretty ghastly.

I found tonight's episode so engrossing I dozed off through most of It! It would have been nice if they had had presenters who actually knew what they were talking about!

I guess they must have canned all the rest of the 37 content because of the noise. It was a nice touch to see one heading the measurement train though.

Slipping an APT-P clip in the middle of the HST segment was subtle too. Someone should have told Mr Snow that HST=253=43 though! 43002 had its 253001 set number on which would have made a nice way in to discussing why set numbers are no longer carried.

Does Swindon ever have so many people "spotting" on its platform.

Church congregations are also always reckoned to rise when the service is being broadcast !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrNdeQVs-9Q

Having expected something utterly ghastly from all the comments here I was pleasantly surprised by this evening's effort. I did take the precaution of recording it in my Tivo and watching it about ten minutes later giving good scope to skip the bits about number collecting.

There were a number of interesting items in it including the designer of the HST  and I did like the idea of the group who'd set themselves up to preserve a 125 when they were all scrapped but couldn't because the pesky things have stayed in service. The item on the Paddington-West Ruislip ghost train was also interesting as I see it quite often (and really must ride on it) and it hadn't occured to me that it wouldn't appear on the departure boards at Paddington. 

The bit that didn't make sense was the mathematician trying to prove that diesels are inherently superior to steam because of low end torque and clearly knowing nothing about cut off. I think they'd got caught in the "let's make maths interesting and we'll be educating as well as informing and entertaining" trap and it just didn't work.

Apart from being a well known and experienced presenter who can handle live TV, not as common a skill as you might think, Peter Snow's qualification for fronting the programme is of course that he's also a very keen railway enthusiast

This is of course a live outside broadcast so it can't be as polished as a documentary but it gains the sense of immediacy and follows a formula well established by Spring Watch, Star gazing live and so on. Live O.B.s are actually very popular with many directors and producers (I used to love doing them) for the same reason that some trapeze artists prefer to not have a safety net and most actors love doing live theatre.

We're always complaining that the "media" treat railway enthusiasm as naff and sad, which I haven't actually noticed the BBC doing for a long time- it's networks seem to be crawling with rail enthusiast, but when they do three live programmes treating our enthusiasm on its own terms  we dismiss it as rubbish. I still don't understand people who collect loco numbers and I'm not sure if I really want other aspects of railway enthusiasm to be lumped in with it but this programme wasn't laughing at them.

It seems the general opinion was that tonight's show was a slight improvement on yesterday, with a little more polish. I have to admit I agree with that. I also enjoyed the pre prepared films about York, the female fire"man", the prototype HST and the interview with the designer of the 125. I certainly came away feeling I had learnt something.

On the negative side the live spots were still lacking something. The presenters do not seem to be knowledgeable enough to actually explain anything about the locomotives and trains they spot. The gentleman who was at Carlisle offered nothing.

I still cannot see the worth of the mathematical sections other than to give Hannah Fry some airtime. Other than her failure to recognise train numbers she seems quite pleasing on the eye.

I will probably tune in again tomorrow.

Tonight's program was better they need to do away with the live rubbish though.

Coming soon to BBC four Mistake spotting LIVE!! Tomorrow night at 8pm. You can post your spots exclusively on our specially dedicated thread on RMweb LIVE.

We saw the best and the worst of the BBC last night. As one or two have commented, the following documentary on Scapa Flow, Jutland etc. was a hundred times better.

War at Sea, Scotlands Story - brilliant - David Hayman is real pro.

As for TS live - its embarrassing crap but Hannah Fry is in it - so I watched it - actually I fast forwarded to the bits she was in - well you would wouldn't you.

• RMweb Premium

Better, but not enough 12CSVT

Too many Sheds

Nice bit of Valenta in the prototype

Just emailed a couple of clips

a 37 on full clag

2 HSTs with Valentas

• RMweb Premium

Better, but not enough 12CSVT

Too many Sheds

Nice bit of Valenta in the prototype

Just emailed a couple of clips