Trainspotting TV Show

Andy Y

Every day is 1984 in my house. Or it should be.

That era, to me, was also very boring... BR Blue and the early 80s liveries... Yawn...

Everyone likes different things... I caught the last of steam and probably becuase that was what I was brought up on I absolutely loathed the BR period from the 70s through the 80s... Today's railways, whilst they are less cluttered (all those sidings, etc., have gone), I still find more interesting than the 70s and 80s...

Live and let live...

• RMweb Gold

I take it you're referring to "Full Steam Ahead".  I'm not at all sure how much decent railway content we're going to get in it.   I look forward to the day when the BBC provides us with a "railway" programme where at least one of the presenters is a genuine expert (and enthusiast) on matters pertaining to railways.  In "Full Steam Ahead" we have three stock BBC presenters, all of whom are no doubt experts in their subjects which appear to be history and archeology (and dressing up in Victorian costumes).  They have also devoted much time to farming in bygone times.  I'm not at all sure how that qualifies any of them to present an accurate programme dealing with railways.  I'm probably being unduly cynical, but I'll watch more in hope than expectation.

DT

If you have watched any of the previous programmes (eg Victorian Farm, Edwardian Farm, etc), you will see the format is generally of them LIVING as if in the past, with experts showing them how, eg crops were grown, sheep were sheared etc - and then they do it themselves. The conclusion was often that it was extremely hard work.

If the same format is followed, I am looking forward to a great piece of TV showing us what life was really like working on the steam railway.

• RMweb Premium

If you have watched any of the previous programmes (eg Victorian Farm, Edwardian Farm, etc), you will see the format is generally of them LIVING as if in the past, with experts showing them how, eg crops were grown, sheep were sheared etc - and then they do it themselves. The conclusion was often that it was extremely hard work.

If the same format is followed, I am looking forward to a great piece of TV showing us what life was really like working on the steam railway.

I get the impression it will be what life was like on and around the railway as it started and grew from the 1820s onwards, with a likelihood that the 'around' will have greater prominence over the 'on'.

• Administrators

It sounds like a series showing railways in the context of the rest of the country. It's difficult to imagine how much things have changed since they arrived - talking to a friend about it he explained how his great great grandfather worked for the GWR and met his fiance in Liverpool. Before the railways, the furthest either of them would have gone would be the next town.

One thing I like about railways is the wide range of possible aspects to look at ranging from the nuts, bolts and rivets of the engineering to the much wider social aspects. Even trainspotting is just one tiny part of this, as is modelling. No one programme can hope to cover all of this.

The look of surprise on the face of the NRM guy when Peter Snow read that out was an image to remember...

Why didn't the 'expert' spotter tell Uncle Dick (really impressed with the 'tea-strainer' moustache, there) that at Clapham Junction you either concentrated on one set of platforms at a time, or had a few of you scattered across the platforms and compared notes on the train home afterwards...

An EMU at Wick- brilliant!  I thought I heard Wick too- glad you have confirmed it.  The look on Bob's face said it all but he couldn't get his forming thoughts out as he couldn't get a word in edgeways through Jon's spouting! 

Just a couple of thoughts.

1. This mini-series was called Trainspotting.  At no point that I saw did anyone tackle the elephant in the room which was to define the whole core premise of the hobby at its most basic: to underline every number in the book, that book being the Platform 5.  Yes, to many it's a laughable ambition, but without understanding that first, it's difficult to set any context for things like Class 66, or what was the thinking behind it being the theme of Programme 1.
  2. With no identifiable backbone to the show - and this denies well-meaning but lacking in knowledge Snow some support where he most needed it - everything else was tackled butterfly-style.  The recorded talking-head bits were generally decent, but its live ambitions were hit and miss to say the least.

• RMweb Premium

Well should be thankful then that the railway companies did not number all the sleepers

There's one. There's another. and another.....

Perhaps they are - for the NMT

And for spotting the HSTs, they got the 43xxx, but did not collect the 42xxx, 44xxx, 41xxx, and 40xxx

Cannot spot them and miss those.

• RMweb Premium

Just a couple of thoughts.

1. This mini-series was called Trainspotting.  At no point that I saw did anyone tackle the elephant in the room which was to define the whole core premise of the hobby at its most basic: to underline every number in the book, that book being the Platform 5.  Yes, to many it's a laughable ambition, but without understanding that first, it's difficult to set any context for things like Class 66, or what was the thinking behind it being the theme of Programme 1.

I think that depends on your definition of the word. Like many words, it's used differently in general usage to those "in the know".

To most of us here trainspotting describes "collecting" rolling stock numbers.

But to many (the majority?) of the population, it describes any interest in trains, such as photographing them.

• RMweb Premium

I used to use a cassette recorder and read them out, or just use lots of bits of A4.

Terminus stations were easy to get all numebrs

I think that depends on your definition of the word. Like many words, it's used differently in general usage to those "in the know".

To most of us here trainspotting describes "collecting" rolling stock numbers.

But to many (the majority?) of the population, it describes any interest in trains, such as photographing them.

I have to beg to disagree here.  The nerdy association that Trainspotting is tarnished with, is the result of this core fixation of collecting numbers, that to many people seems mindless and with very negative connotations.  The Americans use the kinder more PC terms 'Railfans' or the hobby 'Railfanning.' 

Urban Dictionary is not a bad barometer of these things.  Definition one gives the predictable drug slang, so Trainspotting is possibly best known through its heroin connotations as propelled into the mainstream by the film of that name.

But on to the relevant definitions:

2. "Observing trains and logging the numbers. Generally involves standing around in bad weather, watching the tracks. A British hobby."

3. "(The act of staring over a DJ's shoulder to see what records he's spinning..)  Originated from the British phenomenon of train geeks waiting on train platforms, notebooks in hand, recording the types and numbers of trains coming into the station."

And from Wikipedia, proletarian source of general information:

"Those who are "trainspotters" make an effort to "spot" all of a certain type of rolling stock. This might be a particular class of locomotive, a particular type of carriage or all the rolling stock of a particular company. To this end, they collect and exchange detailed information about the movements of locomotives and other equipment on the railway network, and become very knowledgeable about its operations.

A trainspotter typically uses a data book listing the locomotives or equipment in question, in which locomotives seen are ticked off. In Great Britain, this aspect of the hobby was given a major impetus by the publication from 1942 onward of the Ian Allan "ABC" series of booklets, whose publication began in response to public requests for information about the rolling stock of Southern Railways."

So at its core, there sits the elephant in the room, complete with notebook, biro (and at home its Ian Allen and ruler).  I think it's a fantastic thing that the programmes 'de-nerded' the public perception of railway enthusiasts, to a degree.  However, the frankly risible spectacle of Dick Strawbridge acting the part of a cliched (and frankly underperforming) trainspotter did no-one any favours.

• Administrators

I like how Peter snow got excited about a picture sent in Peter said look a black five at Fort William on the jacobite. When it was actually the K1

I wonder if he could actually see the picture or if the voices in his ear told him what to say. It wasn't a clear shot, they might as well have said "It's a picture of a railway bridge with a loco on it", so I suspect the non-expert runner didn't spot the difference.

you wouldn't make that mistake with plane spotters collecting letter based registrations. In any case I wouldn't centre a live series about enthusiasm for aviation on plane spotters though I would include them as an element. 

Planespotting Live .. now that might just work...an A380 is surely more interesting to look at than a HST!

• RMweb Premium

I have to beg to disagree here.  The nerdy association that Trainspotting is tarnished with, is the result of this core fixation of collecting numbers, that to many people seems mindless and with very negative connotations.  The Americans use the kinder more PC terms 'Railfans' or the hobby 'Railfanning.' 

I heard the term "foamers" used for trainspotters in the US in a chance conversation with a US rail enthusiast this morning.......

Cheers,

Mick

I heard the term "foamers" used for trainspotters in the US in a chance conversation with a US rail enthusiast this morning.......

Cheers,

Mick

You ain't seen me right !

post-20303-0-63246100-1468502256_thumb.jpeg

B.Anksy

Having read this topic before watching the episodes on iPlayer, I was expecting something very bad. Yes, there where some howlers in the show and it really could have done with someone behind the scenes fact checking the tweets before giving them to the presenters (390 at Wick, really?), but with live TV, hindsight is a wonderful thing. I know that I am probably not in the target audience, but overall if there was a second series I would watch it, provided that it was improved.

Highlights for me:

• Tim Dunn, an enthusiast presenting rather than a professional presenter who is an enthusiast (I'm hoping that someone else understands what I mean). I think any problems he had were probably down to nerves and he definitely improved through the week. I know I wouldn't be able to it. Of the enthusiasts that I have met out and about, he would be the person I would choose to be a presenter on Trainspotting Live.
  • Dr. Hannah Fry, I found her pre-recorded parts very interesting, although some of the maths segments seemed very forced.

Archived