Trainspotting TV Show

Andy Y

Don't forget bridges, equipment cabinets, etc.

Keith

The ones on the platform at Leamington Spa take down the wagon numbers of the freights that go through... You forgot them!! ;)

...via the central reservation of the M62?

Hardshoulder more like! One of the organisers posted on another forum, they are looking more at canals (towpath I assume!)... Madness...

• RMweb Premium

".... and next week on BBC4, Pokémon Spotting Live. Watch people randomly wave their phones around, imagining they are seeing things...."

BTW - Phil, I copped G-XLEL on it's way back to Vancouver, so that's cleared the current British Airways fleet of Airbus A380s  :)

Recently I was tempted to 'plane spot' using the Plane Finder thingy as we have loads of Trans Atlantic to Europe stuff over Retford and the 'local' in and out of Robin Hood. Just sit in the Conservatory, wait for something to flag up, go outside, spot it and the log it. Still have not quite plucked up the courage to do that. However, when tracking SWMBO's flight back from Greece to Manchester, I was absolutely gobsmacked at what showed up on the screen; even gliders and psssibly some hang Gliders (presumably) along with some very 'interesting' private planes. Whole new hobby for me I think?

Oh look, there's a 737 (or whatever they are)!

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Living in Chippenham we also get a lot of trans-Atlantic traffic coming overhead inbound, and visible in the distance outbound. We used to be treated to Hercules into RAF Lyneham, but they moved to Brize Norton a few years ago. However, we are on the route from Brize to the south and get their fleet over regularly, including at very low level. We're also on the delivery route between Airbus Military and Brize, so getting an A400M on its delivery flight is bit of a "prize" (likewise a Boeing coming over from the US on delivery). 

But, and I hope this is bringing my ramblings back on-topic, I find it fascinating to know where the planes are going or have been. I'm quite selective (British Airways 747, A380, 787/9, Virgin 747, 787/9 and RAF C-130, C17, Voyager and A400M), but that gives me enough to look at, albeit mainly on screen. A few months back I watched The Cornish Riviera leave Reading, next stop Exeter St Davids. To look at it was just another blue HST, not even one of the green GWR ones, but the name, the idea of running all the way to Exeter without stopping, the Sea Wall that lies beyond, the Devon Banks, Plymouth, Cornwall and finally Penzance. That's special! (or I'm mad, one or the other). Likewise seeing (or more usually hearing) Air Tanker's G-VYGJ passing overhead around midnight twice a week working the Falklands Air-Bridge, knowing what it is, where it is going, does something to me. It fascinates me! How many other people around here notice the lower than usual British Airways plane passing overhead, on its way ECS (I doubt they use that term) between Heathrow and the maintenance base at Cardiff? Or watch them coming back, hoping the engineers have bolted everything back on securely!

I didn't watch the Trainspotting Live programmes (my TV is a merely a screen for showing DVDs and videos) but from what I've read in this thread it doesn't suggest they captured the thrill of the chase (or watching the screen, seeing the plane approach, and going outside only to be thwarted by a cloud bank!), or indeed the sense of each movement being part of a much bigger plan. Yes, I admit, I enjoy "ticking" a new loco or a new plane, but really the number/registration is a means to trace an individual. Will ZZ336 be the tanker again today? Will the two Hercules that went off early come back over me? When will I get a proper look at G-XLEL rather than it being a very distant shape?

That is the fun of "spotting" to me, be it on rails or in the air.

This advert appeared as a post on the New Railway Modellers Forum (surprised they didn't post on here), as you would expect it did not attract much positive comment, however shares in Peco have soared on the prospect of the TV company purchasing 300,000 lengths of streamline!

Jim

I reckon the old scallies will be pinching the track as fast as they can lay it. It'll never make it out of Liverpool.

Eh! Eh! Calm down, calm down!

Its odd considering that the BBC has produced a couple of the most popular films, "Metroland' and 'A Branch Line', on the S & D, could go so wrong with this series.  Both these featured an older chap with a trilby and a wrinkled mac; hardly the presenter image but he seemed to carry it off better.

Are you thinking of Count Arthur Strong?

I am!

The Nim.

Class 390 at Wick?!!!

Me thinks that tweet was not telling the truth!

Revisiting this one, it seems to me that someone with expert knowledge in the background screening the Tweets, etc coming in would have spotted this one and kicked it into touch before it got on the air...

The ones on the platform at Leamington Spa take down the wagon numbers of the freights that go through... You forgot them!! ;)

Hardshoulder more like! One of the organisers posted on another forum, they are looking more at canals (towpath I assume!)... Madness...

A canal towpath would be a terribly harsh environment.  Apart from the natural problems (proximity to water, width, surface composition, vegetation, the bits where the towpath crumbles into the canal), there's also the unnatural brigade - lunatics on mountain bikes, lunatics on foot, lunatic coarse anglers and strange people hanging around under bridges. There's also the boats wanting to moor with their big iron mooring pins and wet, hairy ropes, and the boaters, their children and their dogs.

Then, up in the wild Pennines, the canal will dive into a tunnel for a couple of miles, whilst the scenery rises hundreds of feet above them.  And those tunnels don't have towpaths.

Not a good idea!

Perhaps they want to drain a canal and build the track along the bed?  Its been done prototypically, but....  :jester:

• Administrators

Revisiting this one, it seems to me that someone with expert knowledge in the background screening the Tweets, etc coming in would have spotted this one and kicked it into touch before it got on the air...

I think it might tell the producers rather more about the "enthusiast" community this way.

Realistically, you'd likely need a bank of people to deal with Tweet vetting for the hour as this could get very busy. Initially the "community" would delight in sending in non-obvious errors to crow about but I suspect that the producers would just learn the hard way to dump the lot and use a selected and trustworthy small team, or demand video proof, if they bothered with the feature at all.

• RMweb Gold

Really love that shot, where about on the BNM is it taken, do you know?

I've never actually managed to get there.  I *think* it's somewhere SE of Ballinasloe on the opposite side of the Shannon from Shannonbridge power station.

Posted Today, 12:16

brianusa, on 14 Jul 2016 - 20:54, said:snapback.png

Its odd considering that the BBC has produced a couple of the most popular films, "Metroland' and 'A Branch Line', on the S & D, could go so wrong with this series.  Both these featured an older chap with a trilby and a wrinkled mac; hardly the presenter image but he seemed to carry it off better.

"an older chap with a trilby and a wrinkled mac"; perhaps an apt description for The late Poet Laurette, Sir John Betjeman, Gentleman and Scholar of all things in Railway, Tubes, and Architectural oddities, and a passion for Joan Hunter Dunn in his poem "A Subaltern's Love-song".........

Stephen.

Not confirmed, but BBC 4 bosses have expressed approval for the viewing figures for the shows, which beat Top Gears lowest audience............!!!! Chris Evans will not like that!........so it looks like more shows will be scheduled, but with tweaks to the format I am told, and maybe a certain gentleman with a 'tashe being promoted to presenter.....

Stephen.

That's great news. I suggest that as soon as we know where they are we invade en masse (if local that is....,I'm not travelling hundreds of miles just to look a prat, I can do that here)

Phil 

What are you planning, an Anorak Invasion, a Flash Crowd, ....Ooh..... that term should not go with men in anoraks!!! and taking boys train-spotting could be completely misconstrued these days, especially en masse...........

The Suns Treegate story sent the viewing figures sky high......

Stephen.

I've never actually managed to get there.  I *think* it's somewhere SE of Ballinasloe on the opposite side of the Shannon from Shannonbridge power station.

I feel a 'long weekend' coming on; after I smash my way through this slug of work - punctuated by dental extractions  :O

"an older chap with a trilby and a wrinkled mac"; perhaps an apt description for The late Poet Laurette, Sir John Betjeman, Gentleman and Scholar of all things in Railway, Tubes, and Architectural oddities, and a passion for Joan Hunter Dunn in his poem "A Subaltern's Love-song".........

Stephen.

That's the unnamed inspiration for my comment although I figured everybody would know him from the description.  A delightful fellow who as Stephen mentions dabbled in many things and loved many others including all things to do with railways, old buildings and he finally picked St Enodoc church in one of his favourite counties as his last resting place.  He probably dabbled in churches also!

Brian.

Plane spotting... how the hell do you get the number when they fly so high up...??!!?? :jester: :mosking:

Sorry, coat, hat etc...

They're usually on a panel near the radio, you can't miss them but if they're numbers it's an American plane, most civilised countries use letters.  The CAA thinks that if the reg can be read from the ground then you must have been guilty of low flying, they don't know about lying toerags with binoculars. 

• RMweb Premium

They NEED to look more at the heritage side, show why an over 50 year old locomotive is still the best in its power class in the UK.

How about the history of the EE engined shunter, 1930s until today.

I'm still looking to spot the holy grail class 390 at Wick. Have looked all over station but no sign............

Perplexed in Wick

At the time I thought she meant to say "Winwick", but stumbled- try pronouncing that properly when you've never seen the word before.

I really didn't understand the "spotting" bit, it's like the program makers seem to think spotters turn up at a location and are surprised when something out of the ordinary turns up. And as for doing so live, it was a bit "look at what you've missed...", like filming empty sky at an Airshow because there was a plane there a moment ago. Do these program makers really expect trains to perform to order...?

• RMweb Gold

".... and next week on BBC4, Pokémon Spotting Live. Watch people randomly wave their phones around, imagining they are seeing things...."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-36805615

Area locally known as 'Box Mines'. Probably gricers looking for the Western Region's Strategic Reserve?

Archived