Trainspotting TV Show

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

I'm now glad I kept flicking to it...I wouldn't have known about the superb programme following on BBC4 about Scapa Flow.

Every cloud and all that....

The reason it is called a black 5 is that the power classification is 5 and its black........Ohhhhhhh FFS. and yes i spat out the coffee at the dick spotting moment, but all i could see were prats!

and i can see the smoke.... thats steam from the safety valves you divot

Funniest moment for me was when the redhead tried to calculate the maximum speed at which loco numbers could be read, having just misread 6023's number at 10mph.

May not be all that brilliant, but it's better than T** G***!

The bit about the railways' impact on time and clocks was actually well presented in a sensible manner. But then that was not really "trainspotting"

wasn't that done more professionally and in great detail by Portillo or some other presenter years ago?

All I can say is that Snow's pension can't be good when he lowers himself to this level for a quick buck, demeaning. It is not that it was awful it is just that there wasn't any wet paint available. But I'll watch the next episode, I enjoy torture, just in the hope it improves. Though with a focus on Class 37s I doubt for it.

Highlight was Class 66, Lowlights attempt to make science up and the hand-overs.

As some one who spotted for a very short while in the late 50's (I past through most hobbies during that time even car number plates and matchbox labels) spotting steam was so much more fun than could ever be had from spotting variants on the boxes of today.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I cringed though most of the program and not only felt it was very patronising but very poorly made as well.

If this was meant to show railway enthusiasts/ trainspotters in a favourable light, it failed completely - in my mind it did exactly the opposite.

The use of cards or notebooks (pretending to be spotters books) as autocues was blatantly obvious, along with shaky camera work and fake enthusiasm, provided an image of very poor professionalism.

There were some good parts - the Bard of Barnsley (Ian McMillan)  contributions in particular.

As for 'Spotting' the largest class of loco's on our railways today hardly a challenge - perhaps that's why the 66 was chosen.

The trailer suggested D1000's - I must have missed the reference, perhaps, that might come tomorrow or Wednesday.

Disappointed from Burnham-on-Sea,

Aidan

We have been approached by the TV company who have produced several well-known programmes such as James May's Toy Stories and Man Lab series who are looking for people who've got interesting angles or stories to tell.

Having spoken to Zoe at length this morning it's evident that she and the company have a really good understanding of railways as hobbies and are treating the subject matter in a very positive manner.

Please do drop Zoe an email.

Sorry Andy, but whatever the production company's credentials, this progamme didn't do it for me, it was cringeworthy to say the least.

Article 3 of the European Convention on Human Rights "prohibits torture, and inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment". Well it has just been breached by the makers of the BBC4 programme "Trainspotting Live"

• RMweb Gold

Article 3 of the European Convention on Human Rights "prohibits torture, and inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment". Well it has just been breached by the makers of the BBC4 programme "Trainspotting Live"

Well that protection has now been lost.

Sorry- wrong thread.

Sorry Andy, but whatever the production company's credentials, this progamme didn't do it for me, it was cringeworthy to say the least.

Production companies are just that, companies who produce programmes for TV or movies.  As such they can't really be expected to have a working knowledge of the subject they are trying to present; all they can do is film what they think will make an acceptable story line covering what they and their technical advisers think will interest the average viewer.  When it comes to the enthusiast viewer then this is not enough.  He doesn't want to see a King enter a tunnel and a Castle leave, as happens so many times.  Sometimes every other shot may feature a different engine which may satisfy the unenlightened but certainly not those who are familiar with trains which are the subject of this series.  It would be unrealistic to expect a whole production team to be railway fans but at least have someone vet the finished product before release.

Its not only trains; ships and planes are often treated this way no doubt with the same cringes!

Brian.

Archived