Inspired by Brent June 1947

The Fatadder

• RMweb Gold

Looks good Rich. I still reckon a washer would help! Also, have you thought about getting some narrower copperclad to save time cutting it along the length?

The washers are definitely on the to do list before the next motor gets added.

I have looked for narrower copperclad, without success. If I do manage to find some circa 2mm width, that will be a huge time saver.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

After popping back to B&Q on Sunday to buy point screws, and deciding to take Tuesday off work to work on the layout, we had to rush back to the hospital on Sunday afternoon with reduced movements. They decided to induce and finally 3 days later Imogen Grace Victoria arrived weighing 8lb6oz.

No more modelling for a little while I think

Deffo a Finescale edition there dear boy. Congratulations.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

One step forward, 3 steps back....

Yesterday I popped into C&L to pick up some new pins for Tortoise motors (replacing the blackcomve ones which were too short), while I was there I also ended up buying 4 more points worth of timbers and a big bag of GWR chairs, plus another 4 yards of track bases.

This will complete the up loop, along with hopefully supplying enough bits to build the two double slips.

However before starting on that I want the remaining point motors fitted. After the success earlier in the week,I was confidently of getting the next 2 fitted quickly. Unfortunately not the case, the first was prepped before finding it is directly above a cross piece on a set of support legs. Then switched to the second only to find (after an age of fault finding) that the same leg also obstructed this one. To top it all, one side of the double slip is also in this alignment.

Unfortunately while the cross prices for the deck support are all moveable, the legs are not. I'm now looking at chopping it out, adding braces to support the legs and then adding a new cross piece further down. But this will take a lot more time!

• RMweb Gold

Having found a solution for the first point obstruction, all be it one which requires getting a better was to chop out the original cross piece working upside down under the layout). I moved onto the other end to install another point motor, and unfortunately this one has the same problem, only in this location it can't be solved by chopping out the wood.

There is about a 2 inch gap between the support and the baseboard (son of enough for a Tortoise through 90degrees)

Time to try a cobalt, else I guess the only option is messing around with a more complicated linkage fitting the motor offset at 90degrees to the running line...

All this because I forgot to clearly specify that the cross beams on the sub structure should be at the bottom of the spars not the top...

• RMweb Gold

Must stop buying locos layout is finished, another 4500 purchased today (although that does mean passenger side Kingsbrisge branch is now fully sorted.)

This afternoon the inlaws were visiting, giving me an opportunity to escape to the garage for a couple of hours. The whole time was spent on point motors, the single slip had the tie bars removed and replaced with the wider version. It took a long time to realise when testing the second motor which was refusing to close in one direction. After removing and refitting the motor 3 times I worked out the reason..... I was turning the mechanism on the motor for the other side of the slip!!!

The second point was the up half of the platform crossover, which was a much more straight forward.

This just leaves 3 remaining motors to fit, all of which need major woodwork to get access. Then it's time to to get them wired up. I have a 5.5v 500mA power supply (bought by my wife as a replacement for a broken one on the baby monitor with the wrong connector). This evening I plan to knock up a quick control panel to use until I get round to building the leaver frame.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Sometimes things just work....

After everyone had gone to bed this evening, I decided to head out to the garage to quickly glue the paper control panel to a sheet of hard board prior to fitting the first switches tomorrow. The aim being a full power test of the 4 points that are currently powered. Once that was complete, along with a few outline parts to build up a box similar in shape to the 511, I moved onto other tasks.

The plan was to wire up the vee switches on the single slip, however before stating I decided to have a quick look at the yard enterence point on the up main. After a quick look it was clear that I had missed an obvious soloution. It looks like if I put a 0,8mm diameter pin in the tie bar, I can use the exactoscale base to shift the motor 2 inches to the right of the turnout. Mocking it up it looks like it will just fit, so that's the first job for tomorrow night (if I can get out).

After this success I then looked again at the other two problem points. I am starting to think that I can get away with using additional bends in the operating arm to add about half an inch of additional reach. I am using the fat replacement wires so hopefully they should be stiff enough to do the job.

If all goes to plan later this week I should have the first 7 points running, after which it's time to start work on the 8th. Once that's done, I need more point motors.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Another night and the final two motors are now fitted, it took a lot of tweaking and the dog leg pin was a nightmare to fit to the tie bar given you couldn't see what you were doing.

Now it's time to wire them all up, and make sure I've got the polarity the right way round on the Vee switches. So plenty more chances to create more of a wiring mess than the below...

It is my birthday on Thursday and my aim is to be able to run a train from the up platform up the line, through the single slip, before heading down theough the platform, for a quick test through the yard point and then though the Plymouth end crossover back onto the up main back to the start. Then it's time to get on with finishing the remaining point to complete the up loop...

• RMweb Gold

Another night and the final two motors are now fitted, it took a lot of tweaking and the dog leg pin was a nightmare to fit to the tie bar given you couldn't see what you were doing.

Now it's time to wire them all up, and make sure I've got the polarity the right way round on the Vee switches. So plenty more chances to create more of a wiring mess than the below...

post-54-0-91306200-1476132755_thumb.jpg

post-54-0-48595600-1476132764_thumb.jpg

It is my birthday on Thursday and my aim is to be able to run a train from the up platform up the line, through the single slip, before heading down theough the platform, for a quick test through the yard point and then though the Plymouth end crossover back onto the up main back to the start. Then it's time to get on with finishing the remaining point to complete the up loop...

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

This evening the first points were connected to the control panel, and after an age of fault finding (due to a dodgy switch) the points at the Plymouth end are now live.

Testing then commenced with a run from the down platform past the yard enterance, reversing into the yard before reversing back through the crossover onto the up main before ending in the up loop.

First up was the 4575, which worked almost perfectly just stalling on the Vee of one point when running on the main (strangely there is no problem going the other route through the point).

With a 2-6-2 running ok, Next up was a 72xx. This had the same issue on the up crossover, but worse was to come on the yard enterance (at which point the lead driver would go straight on rather than into the yard/loop. The flanges seemed to be hitting the chairs in a couple of the points check rails as well. I have tried checking the back to back on the lead axle and it seems fine (the 42xx has the same problem)

Finally to check the yard, I went for the WD 2-8-0. Other than the same stalling issue on the crossover, it worked perfectly (and could enter the yard.)

I now need to wait for more switches to do the Exeter end, as I do not have enough to wire the slip, so that puts an end to my plans for tomorrow's testing.

It's now back to track building....

I also need to get on and buy the remaining 12 point motors for the yard and loop, having had a look at Two Tone Greens Cobalt at work yesterday, I've decided to switch to them for the rest of the layout (the fact that the 12 pack of Tortoise is now a lot more expensive helped the decision!)

After all this wiring (and the thought same for the signalling) is making me rethink using DCC for the points and signals. The DCC concepts bits enabling to use proper switches with DCC points are rather appealing. I have a feeling the whole thing might be rewired once I start on signal construction (although that's got to be a couple of years away I guess!)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

More testing today, this time Kings and Castles. They work on the main in the intended directions, but do not like running in reverse through the crossover. Fortunately I don't think that will ever happen, there are still a few areas which are a bit wobbly and need further investigation. Ideally I want to get everything running everywhere so will look some more. Does anyone have a good trouble shooting routine to try following? I'd also welcome advice on testing RTR locos back to backs, with my P4 stock it would always be checked prior to fitting the motion, while on stock it's easy to fit the gauge with wheels insitue.

Finally in this testing routine was the Hall, which as expected works everywhere (but still has a few wobbles) . Which does make me wonder how much of the issue is the loco. The only loco left to test is the 28xx for the moment...

I am trying to work out what would have been seen in the yard and loop. I think I am right in saying that only Kings were barred, but I'm more interested in the regular visitors.

My logic is only the 45xx and panniers on the branch, none of the books have mentioned any unusual visitors.

In the yard in addition to these it would be anything working a stopping freight, so this could be the WD, 2800, Rod, and then probably Halls,or Granges?

The Plymouth end of the up loop has now progressed a lot further, with the sleepers glued down and the first rail in place. With this in position the down main was completed to the edge of the fiddleyard. Now to get back to Vee construction...

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Over the weekend a lot of modelling has been used up on two diversions, first up I wanted to do some testing with a dukedog which required finding the Powercab and getting it wired in.  This took rather a lot longer than I had originally planned.  So much so the programming I had intended to do fell by the wayside. 

The second diversion was to strip down my airbrush, and clean all of the components (plus check what is missing.)  It looks like it needs a new trigger, new paint cup and a new needle and then its good to go.  As I will now be spraying in a less than ideal environment I have now invested in both a spray booth / extractor  along with finally buying a water trap for my compressor.  (I've never had any water issues before, but avoided spraying on anything other than a warm day.  I'm hoping this will me get more done in the garage in the autumn and spring.

Back to the layout, it has been a mix of electricals and track building.  The point into the Up Loop has been finished to a point that it now needs a point motor installed.   Once this was in situe the approach track and the loop were added.  Once dry this was followed by the Down Main, this needed to be carefully measured from the Up due to the error in the Templot plan.  

post-54-0-21446400-1476643776_thumb.jpg

post-54-0-75338900-1476643759_thumb.jpg

Before starting on the point I modified one of the roller gauges to chop off the inner flangeway lip from the gauge, meaning that there is now clearance of the other rails when building points.

post-54-0-70963300-1476643772_thumb.jpg

Once this was complete, it was back to wiring 

There was also time to give a new loco a test run, the other 4500 class for the Kingsbridge branch.  This will eventually become 4526 once I get some more plates ordered 

post-54-0-07272700-1476643774_thumb.jpg

So the aim for this week is to get the newly fitted wires connected up, along with fitting the point motor.  Then there is nothing left other than getting on with building the first of those double slips....

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

This week I have been in London for work for a couple of nights , so my wife and daughters have decamped to the in-laws house.  In the end I decided I would rather head home for an evening in the garage than a night so headed back this afternoon.

Annoyingly the garage was absolutely freezing and I didnt get nearly enough done as I would have liked.

Deciding it was far too cold to be messing around sitting under the layout wiring, I started off with some sleeper cutting instead.  So the double slip, and two other yard points are now glued down.  All 3 will need various elements to be laid simultaneously in order to assist getting a smooth curve, so it made sense to get everything laid in one go.  Now for the job that I have been putting off, in actually soldering up the two sub assemblies for the double slip...

I also spent a fair bit of time stripping down and rebuilding my Powercab to try and get to the bottom of the display issue (without success).

post-54-0-20759400-1476821931_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well today's planned day of work on the layout didn't really go to plan, a poorly baby and toddler up all of last night resulted in me sleeping until lunchtime after getting back from the nursery run.

The first task was to set up the new heater (which worked perfectly, making the cold garage nice and warm very quickly)

Moving on, the first job was a little more testing. First up was a loco with a funny number, 21C111 Tavistock, followed by my new King set up on my Cornish Riveria set (all be it with Sunshine stock thirds substituted for the Sunshine First and Composite which I am yet to build.). I am starting to think that 7 coaches looks a bit too long for the layout (particularly when you double head)

On to some real work and the double slip...

The plan is to build this with the first rail fitted, then sub assemblies soldered up for the vees, and other rails, before finally adding the wing rails and other details. So far the first rail is in place, the switch rails are fabricated and the triangular check rail has been soldered up.

I then ran out of time...

My intention is to solder all of these parts to 5 strips of thin copperclad which will then be pined and glued into position.

post-54-0-94637000-1479837346_thumb.jpg

post-54-0-70872600-1479837354_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Coming on really well now.  With the stock placed as it is - branch train and through express - one begins to get a proper 3D perspective of how it's all going to look.  Will be following avidly.

(But what's that partially obscured train lurking in the background?  Looks suspiciously like Thomas with Annie and Clarabell.)

Here's to good sleep and good modelling time.

John C.

My layout: STOKE COURTENAY, 4mm scale 1930s GWR junction station.  See layout topic.

• RMweb Gold

Further progress this evening, with the vees soldered up and fitted to the double slip, along with threading all of the chairs onto a yard length of rail which comprises the other slip road and the straight side of the next two A6 points that comprise the yard enterance. Then it was time to head off to Devon, so progress was halted for the weekend.

No travel this week, so hopefully at least a couple of chances to get out in the garage. Rather than getting on with building the rest of the double slip, my current plan is tending towards getting the other double slip to the same standard. As mentioned previously when gluing down the templates there was a small error which resulted in the two sides of the branch platform not meeting in the middle. This was only discovered after a lot of track was built and necessitated a change to the Vee angle of the Plymouth slip, along with a change to the platform radius. I want to check that these modifications were successful before I get on with the hard work of actually building the rest of the slip.

Saturday should see a trip to Brent to do some bridge research

post-54-0-43864800-1480017584_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I finally managed to stop at Brent this afternoon on the way back to my parents after taking the girls to Pennywell Farm to see Father Christmas, (next week its my choice and the Dean Valley Railway!)

Typically after stopping to take a few photos of the goods shed, my phone died (with 50% battery) apparently this is an iphone bug that has just hit...  After walking down to have a look at the bridge I went back to the car in a bad mood.  Fortunately Helen was thinking a bit clearer and tried to have another go at resetting the phone which made it work. 

The full set of photos can be found here, including details of the retaining walls and lots of views of the Avon bridge.  

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/4112-south-brent-2016/

The bridge looks an interesting project, (I say bridge it looks more like 3 bridges!) I need to re measure the space on the layout and then have a go at building something.  It will need compression (loosing one arch of the original South Devon Railway bridge), but should capture the look.

No idea what this is supposed to be (south approach to the bridge)

post-54-0-70027300-1480179466_thumb.jpg

This is what I expect to build 

post-54-0-56075800-1480179468_thumb.jpg

The back

post-54-0-42187000-1480179471_thumb.jpg

The remains of the up loop (and a hole where the wooden deck has gone that supported the other rail) 

post-54-0-26806000-1480179475_thumb.jpg

The underside of the vicarage road bridge

post-54-0-73339900-1480179478_thumb.jpg

post-54-0-76801900-1480179480_thumb.jpg

Can anyone explain what I am looking at here, it almost looks like brickwork between the I beams.

Finally the remains of the Branch platform (including the edging) 

post-54-0-88218400-1480179482_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I finally managed to stop at Brent this afternoon on the way back to my parents after taking the girls to Pennywell Farm to see Father Christmas, (next week its my choice and the Dean Valley Railway!)

Typically after stopping to take a few photos of the goods shed, my phone died (with 50% battery) apparently this is an iphone bug that has just hit...  After walking down to have a look at the bridge I went back to the car in a bad mood.  Fortunately Helen was thinking a bit clearer and tried to have another go at resetting the phone which made it work. 

The full set of photos can be found here, including details of the retaining walls and lots of views of the Avon bridge.  

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/4112-south-brent-2016/

The bridge looks an interesting project, (I say bridge it looks more like 3 bridges!) I need to re measure the space on the layout and then have a go at building something.  It will need compression (loosing one arch of the original South Devon Railway bridge), but should capture the look.

No idea what this is supposed to be (south approach to the bridge)

attachicon.gifIMG_5136.JPG

This is what I expect to build 

attachicon.gifIMG_5142.JPG

The back

attachicon.gifIMG_5156.JPG

The remains of the up loop (and a hole where the wooden deck has gone that supported the other rail) 

attachicon.gifIMG_5212.JPG

The underside of the vicarage road bridge

attachicon.gifIMG_5232.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5234.JPG

Can anyone explain what I am looking at here, it almost looks like brickwork between the I beams.

Finally the remains of the Branch platform (including the edging) 

attachicon.gifremains of the branch platform.JPG

It looks like jack arches to me, they are transvers brick arches to fill the gap between the transvers girders. They are pretty common, although these days tend to be replaced by suitable steel plate, when heavy duty repairs or replacements take place.

• RMweb Gold

It looks like jack arches to me, they are transvers brick arches to fill the gap between the transvers girders. They are pretty common, although these days tend to be replaced by suitable steel plate, when heavy duty repairs or replacements take place.

Thanks,  I guessed it would be some sort of arch filling the transverse beams.  That makes life nice and easy for construction (and should make for a nice interesting photo angle when its done.)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I had a day off work today with the morning purely set aside for model making.

So it was time to get on with some more track work, the bottom rail has been added to the Exeter end double slip. Once in place it was followed by the first half of the track for the branch platform.

In order that the other half of the branch could be fitted, the other double slip needed to installed. The sleepers were all cut and glued, and it is now waiting for the glue to set so that I can get the first rail and vee's fitted (enabling the fitting of the other half of the branch track. This should mean that I can get on with actually building some platforms....

Fingers crossed another couple of hours work can be managed over the weekend...

post-54-0-01585100-1481219119_thumb.jpg

post-54-0-91039600-1481219135_thumb.jpg

post-54-0-68782700-1481219403_thumb.jpg

Along with the track I have also progressed with a few more DCC conversions.  First up was another attempt at the King (see xxxxxxx), which was an abject failure.  Likewise the Austerity wasnt possible as it requires a much thinner decoder than the chips that I have available.  The final failure was with the 72xx, the ZTC direct decoder was about a mm wider on each side than the body. 

So on to better things, first up the Lenz 1025 that I couldnt fit in the Austerity was soldered into the Westcountry.  The Lenz Gold which was tried in the King then ended up in the wartime black Grange, while the ZTC direct chip ended up in the Hawksworth tender for Berkeley Castle (after yet more mucking around with the Kings.

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

No more photos (yet) but I've just got back in from the garage and laid the upper rail through the Plymouth slip, along with gluing down the rest of the branch platform track. Really makes a difference getting a bit more track in place, start to get more of a feel as to how it is going to look.

At some point I must get on with some structures, though given i have so far only drawn the goods shed that may take some time.

Still no luck with those dammed kings and their DCC woes http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/117683-Hornby-king-problems/&do=findComment&comment=2529566

But did have some fun playing with double headed Castles testing some of the pointwork

• RMweb Gold

After finally identifying the problem with the Kings (Hornby either employing 2 year olds to solder the wiring, or possibly 1970s British or Italian car builders), along with the second coat of my hand painting coach roof test. It was time to work on the double slip. A couple of weeks back I made up the first half of sub assemblies, covering the slip rails etc. These are now soldered to 9.7mm copperclad strip and are ready to be fitted to the sleepers. 3 more of these sub assemblies to go and then the worst of the track building is finished.

The only problem at the moment is that I am only managing the odd hour at 11pm, not exactly ideal for the delicate stuff (and certainly not for using the airbrush...

post-54-0-01449400-1481329232_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Today was time for the annualtrip to the opposite side of the Severn for the Dean Valley Railways Santa special. With 5541 on the front of the mk1s. More interesting were the photos of the planned GWR formation for the line, still years away but I. Ant wait for some real coaches!

post-54-0-89943700-1481386146_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Double slip no 1 is almost finished, it now only needs tie bars and a few chairs adding. Hopefully there are no nasties waiting to bite me... I am a tad worried about the clearance between both sets of inner switch rails for a start.

Oh, it's also missing the closure rails on 3 sides and all it's check rails, but the positive is that it will soon be ready for testing.

I keep looking at it and thinking I cannot believe I made this, very pleased!

post-54-0-94114200-1481504199_thumb.jpg

Edit to correct autocorrect stupidity

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 7