Inspired by Brent June 1947

The Fatadder

Guest 7007GreatWestern

Laira had a ROD allocation, whether they still had them in '47 I can't remember off the top of my head.

The following is from "Great Western Eight Coupled Heavy Freight Locomotives" by David Maidment by Pen & Sword Publishing.

From the chapter concerning the ex-GCR RODS 2-8-0s: "At nationalisation, seventeen of the forty-five remaining locomotives were shedded in South Wales (the majority at Carmarthen), nineteen in the West Midlands and nine in the West of England. None was allocated to London area depots."

So, it looks like nine were allocated to the West Country but he gives no further details. None of the photos in the chapter show scenes in the West Country. They seem to have been synonymous with West Wales, the North & West Route and heavy unfitted mineral workings (especially Iron Ore) in the Midlands.

I have a feeling Great Western Journal have done a series on the RODs including the usual in-depth analysis of their allocations and duties. I'll dig around and see if I can find anything.

PS. No connection to Author or Publisher other than satisfied customer.

• RMweb Gold

The RODs had left the Newton Abbot Division by 1938 according to the RCTS history  and unless any were sent there temporarily during the war there seem to have been none allocated there after that date.  But some remained allocated to both Pontypool Road and Severn Tunnel Jcn so it is quite possible that they worked into the West of England on trains from those places.

Guest 7007GreatWestern

Further information on the use of 30xx ROD 2-8-0s in South Devon for anyone interested.

The following is from 'Great Western Journal' Spring 2014 (Wild Swan Publications) and is to their usual thoroughly researched and detailed standard. The article is credited to John Copsey.

Regarding the early postwar period:  "There were no examples of '30xx' stationed in the far West of England, but they did appear there on a fairly regular basis."

The article goes on to give a couple of examples from the diaries of a former driver to illustrate the kind of work they did in the South West. On 20th April 1945 Aberdare's 3036 worked the 3.5am Severn Tunnel Junction to Tavistock Yard and was assisted from Totnes to Rattery by 5153. The load comprised 17 class 1 (coal), 10 class 2 (other mineral) and one class 3 (general merchandise) followed by the brake van. The climb to Rattery from Totnes took 18 minutes at an average of 15mph - truly the pace of a bygone era!

There article goes on to describe other ROD workings in South Devon in 1945 featuring St. Philip's Marsh (3035, 3045) and Oxley (3033) machines. It does conclude by saying that they were 'relatively scarce' compared to 28s, 43s and 8Fs at that time.

The article includes a complete allocation list for 1943 I can confirm Mike's point that none were allocated to sheds on the South West peninsula at that time. Now if some kind person bought the Summer 2014 edition of GW Journal they can pick up the story from 1945........

Regards,

Andy.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting stuff, I think a Rod will go back onto the shopping list should I see one at a price I can't resist...

All the more interesting for an example freight formation (all be it 2 years early). I will keep an eye out for the summer 14 issue as part 2 sounds very interesting

• Like 1

My plan last night had been to take a break from the fiddleyard and to finish off the up platform. The only problem is that I am still not sure what plastic I will face the platforms with, as the SE Finecast stuff I purchased last week seems to have a fair few errors where it hasn’t moulded properly. I am now thinking the SEF sheet will be used for the retaining walls for the bridge at the Plymouth end (which is mostly obscured by buildings), and I will stick with my original plan to use the Slaters product on the platforms. Of course this means I cant make any more progress on the platform as it needs to have the plasticard edging glued on and painted before I screw down the softwood strip onto the baseboard.

The Down platform remains more problematic, the loading bay and the up platform are built from softwood strip (the height matches the Wills product, while the thickness is circa 12mm if I remember rightly). This is brilliant for making straight lines, but awful for anything with more than a gentle curve. I now need to find an alternative for the Down platform as the Kingsbridge platform is curved for pretty much its entire length.

Instead attention has turned to buildings, a critical job at the moment is to design the station buildings ready to start construction. My intention is a wood core, covered in SE Finecast English Bond bricks, with windows cut on the Silhouette cutter from a couple of sheets of 10thou plasticard. The tricky bit is to get all of the interfaces between buildings correctly modelled, the footbridge needs to fit under the platform canopy on both platforms. Likewise the alignment between the end of the footbridge steps needs to align with the station building / down waiting room.

In the long term I have been watching Mark Humphries’ etched GWR footbridge kit with a lot of interest, given how incredibly detailed it is. However even if it became available tomorrow I would still want to get a couple more loco builds under my belt before starting something so complex. So in the short term I have been adapting the old Hornby kit to represent the later design of foot bridge.

I started with a small test build, I wasn’t happy with the huge over hangs on the roof and wanted to see if it was possible to move the valance out towards the edge. The aim being to get both a more prototypical gap between valance and roof edge, but also to get the missing gap that should be between the valance and the structure. After proving that it worked as desired, work could start on the main build. The intention is to build two sub-assemblies; the roof and the core structure, they will be joined after painting (in order to get access to the inside and to fit the windows on the Plymouth side).

The first step was the outer sides for the steps, I started by removing the complete valance from each moulding. The remains of the original uprights were carefully removed from the back of the valance to aid reassembly later.

attachicon.gifIMG_3544.jpg

The next job was to prep the side, Initially I decided to completely chop out the whole existing detail and replace with Evergreen planked sheet. After completing the first side I realised the same effect could be had just fitting the evergreen sheet on top of the existing detail, saving a lot of effort.

A piece of 20thou sheet was also cut to size to thicken up the replacement part to match up with the thickness of the original. The replacement insert was then glued into place in the whole in the side.

attachicon.gifIMG_3545.jpg

The final major side job was to add the panelling for the end, this was again made from a sheet of the Evergreen planking along with a reinforcing section of 40thou plasticard for the upper half (matching the thickness of the Hornby moulding) With this glued into position the assembly was put to one side while the process was repeated on the other 3 sides. They now just need the final raised detail adding to complete.

attachicon.gifIMG_3546.jpg

Moving on to the main span, the first job was the removal of the valancing. I then used the silhouette to cut a number of infill pieces to plate over the inset ironwork, it worked well on the 14mm by 13mm rectangular sections, but the triangular plates were less effective. Instead I took the decision to replace the whole span with plasticard, this was cut out using the Hornby moulding as a guide. Detail was then added from various grades of Evergreen strip (it still needs some more 10thou details adding around the inside of all the ribs). Again the boxed in area at the top of the steps was added from the same Evergreen planked sheet. The process now needs to be repeated to build the Exeter side of the span, at which point the actual construction can start.

attachicon.gifIMG_3549.jpg

That looks SUPERB!

Khris

• RMweb Gold

Time to step away from excel and have a coffee, giving time to write up last nights progress on the footbridge.

The first step was to finish off the construction of the inner sides of the stairs, using the revised method of just infilling the existing detail rather than chopping it all out. Needless to say it worked a lot better, and was a lot quicker. A sensible modeller would have started with the far side and worked back (i.e. start with the bit that can barely be seen.) Oh well...

I also made a start adding the extra detail to the inner sides while on the flat (given access will be much more limited once assembled). There is not really a whole lot to add, just a couple of large uprights to support the roof. These were made out of some 40 thou by 80 thou strip, originally I was going to remove the ribs from the side to get the uprights to fit. After one attempt I revised this approach, instead filing 3 channels into the upright at the required angles to clear the 3 ribs. This was a lot quicker as well as being more effective.

post-54-0-01380500-1502960473_thumb.jpg

post-54-0-38765800-1502960493_thumb.jpg

With these put to one side to dry, I started the assembly of the completed parts. Starting by adding steps to the sides and slowly working around until the whole walkway was added to the outer sides. Test fitting with the Hornby inner walkway side proved it was all aligned correctly. There are a couple of areas which need refinement, particularly the corner between the outer step side and outer walkway side, but it should be hidden by the framing detail which is still to be added.

Of course I did realise once I had completed this stage that I really ought to have finished adding the detail to the end before assembling, but its done now. Just need to be extra careful adding the 30thou by 10 thou strip (which should have a lot of rivet detail that I haven't decided if I will model.)

post-54-0-17877300-1502960483_thumb.jpgpost-54-0-80224300-1502960503_thumb.jpg

At this point the model is supported on the Hornby posts, as I have yet to get to the stage of making the prototype's support structure.  Incidentally I am planning to reuse these posts (with some modification) to support the station canopy... 

I am please with how this is turning out, the only real criticism so far is with the main span. It should have 8 panels whereas mine has 6, I have placed the parts on the layout and it looks like it all aligned pretty much where I expect it to fit. Which means it could all be a result of my platforms being slightly closer together than the prototype (or that the dimensions of the main beam are wrong). Either way, given that as I have said previously this is only really intended as a place holder I am not too worried. One way or another it will need to be eventually fixed, as every time I see the very nice (and more accurate) bridge on Rob's A Nod to Brent, mine will annoy me more..

post-54-0-79654600-1502960558_thumb.jpg
Not quite in the right place, as it should be about 5mm or so further towards the top of the photo in order that there is an equal spacing either side of the track.  This was more an attempt to get a rough order of magnitude of the fit...  edit: that should say towards the left, as once again the image uploader has decided to randomly rotate my photo!

edit to upload the photos

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I have worked out the width problem.  it looks like the up platform is to narrow, as a result the up canopy needs to be reduced in width (and accordingly the bridge looses an inch)  This evening I will need to do some checks with a rough mock up of the station building probably using that from Kites Croft, I need to double check that the shortened bridge will in fact clear the shortened gap between the station building and the platform.  Again based upon the photo in the previous post I think it will work, but its going to be really close.  

While the platform is narrower than the prototype it does still conform with the standard clearances, the narrowness is as a result of trying to get the mainline as close to the garage wall as possible in order to maximise the radius of the curves on the ends of the layout.) 

Plan b should this fail, will be purchasing another Hornby footbridge (ideally an incomplete one) from which I need one floor moulding and a pair of roof mouldings.  From this (along with a replacement plasticard build for the bridge sides) I can rebuild to the longer length.   Wishing i had paid better attention to the prototype from the outset and realised this sooner!!!

• RMweb Gold

Moving on the next job was to test fit onto the layout to verify my assumption on the size. As expected it is short as a result of the platforms, I think the true length puts it against the backscene. I now need to mock up the station building to see if it looks right. The down side is definitely ok.

post-54-0-66412600-1502987439_thumb.jpgpost-54-0-06928000-1502987453_thumb.jpg

The next job was to sort out the roof, I started by removing all trace of the original ribs. To provide clearance some plastic also had to be removed from the planked ends. Once it had s good fit I started by gluing the front and rear fairings across the bridge section. Due to my widening, the rear (plymouth facing) section was too short by approximately one plank on each side.

This was followed by the inner side of the steps, which was fractionally too long as a result of the thicker bridge wall.

Finally the outer side of the steps was added, this again was too short on both ends and still needs rectifying. Fortunately it looks like the extension sections for the ground mounted bridge will fill the gaps. That said the bottom of the steps will be harder to fix. Again if I had kown in advance I wouldn't have chopped the sides to length until afterwards.

The final work was on the legs, this is proving a tricky decision for the balance between looks and accuracy. The initial attempt used some evergreen square tube, but looks a bit heavy handed. It is however nice and strong, I haven't decided if i will rebuild or finish off.

I am so still debating whether to add a 10 by 40 thou strip around the inside edge of all the panels across the bridge, or if at viewing distances it will not be so noficeable allowing a pig of a job to be avoided....

post-54-0-09068100-1502988128_thumb.jpg

It now needs a cost of paint, especially the insides and around the windows so that the latter can be drawn up and fitted. Once in place the roof can be glued on...

• Like 6

post-5953-0-19606400-1502994677_thumb.jpg

Interesting stuff, I think a Rod will go back onto the shopping list should I see one at a price I can't resist...

All the more interesting for an example freight formation (all be it 2 years early). I will keep an eye out for the summer 14 issue as part 2 sounds very interesting

May be a little late for your needs, but someone sent me a copy of 3017 at Newton Abbot April 1953, but may be of some use

Edited by KingJohn
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Moving on the next job was to test fit onto the layout to verify my assumption on the size. As expected it is short as a result of the platforms, I think the true length puts it against the backscene. I now need to mock up the station building to see if it looks right. The down side is definitely ok.

attachicon.gifIMG_3574.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_3575.jpg

The next job was to sort out the roof, I started by removing all trace of the original ribs. To provide clearance some plastic also had to be removed from the planked ends. Once it had s good fit I started by gluing the front and rear fairings across the bridge section. Due to my widening, the rear (plymouth facing) section was too short by approximately one plank on each side.

This was followed by the inner side of the steps, which was fractionally too long as a result of the thicker bridge wall.

Finally the outer side of the steps was added, this again was too short on both ends and still needs rectifying. Fortunately it looks like the extension sections for the ground mounted bridge will fill the gaps. That said the bottom of the steps will be harder to fix. Again if I had kown in advance I wouldn't have chopped the sides to length until afterwards.

The final work was on the legs, this is proving a tricky decision for the balance between looks and accuracy. The initial attempt used some evergreen square tube, but looks a bit heavy handed. It is however nice and strong, I haven't decided if i will rebuild or finish off.

I am so still debating whether to add a 10 by 40 thou strip around the inside edge of all the panels across the bridge, or if at viewing distances it will not be so noficeable allowing a pig of a job to be avoided....

attachicon.gifIMG_3577.jpg

It now needs a cost of paint, especially the insides and around the windows so that the latter can be drawn up and fitted. Once in place the roof can be glued on...

Looking very nice Rich, although I think I will stick with the standard Hornby configuration for Porthmellyn Road. I know how these projects suck you in but if I was going as far as you are I might have started from scratch, just using the proprietary parts for the steps, valances and possibly roofs.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking very nice Rich, although I think I will stick with the standard Hornby configuration for Porthmellyn Road. I know how these projects suck you in but if I was going as far as you are I might have started from scratch, just using the proprietary parts for the steps, valances and possibly roofs.

I am pleased with how it turned out, though I would agree with you in that using the Hornby valances, steps and roof and scrapping the rest would probably have been a lot quicker. I do wish I had been able to stick with the standard Hornby kit. though I suspect even if I had I would have wanted to do something with the valances to space them away from the sides.

I have now finished adding the replacement legs, they do still look a little chunky but I think I will stick with them. While I was at it I also added the remaining extension to the valance.

The remaining jobs (other than painting and the roof), add the curved brackets and add the smoke deflector plates below the bridge. (Out of interest, does anyone sell a suitable part for these?)

I will now get on with painting in preparation for fitting the roof and windows.

post-54-0-93943700-1503006893_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to Mike (Coach Bogie)’s generosity selling me his spare set of etches, it looks like my TPO is going to start coming together a lot sooner than I had previously planned.

Unsurprisingly this has led to a couple more questions,

First of all, other than the photos in Russell, can anyone point me in the direction of any more useful photos showing the Paddington Penzance TPO in 1947, unsurprisingly given the time that it ran at I have not had much success finding suitable photos to work from.

However I have at least got plenty of information on the formation (at least I currently have the information for the Spring of 1947 and the Summer and Winter of 1948)

Locomotive (I understand typically a King),

Siphon G

A: Break Stowage Diag. L23

B: Stowage Diag. L21

C1:  Sorting Diag. L22

C2: Sorting LMS Diag. 1792

D: Sorting Diag. L18 or L22

E: Sorting Diag. L14 or L18 or L22

F: Full Break Diag. K40 or K17

Siphon G

By 1948 this formation had dropped a coach and incorporated the new build L25 (I presume the capacity of one L25 was significantly greater than its predecessors and hence the inclusion of 2 L25s in the train allowed BR to eliminate coach C2 from the formation.

Locomotive (I understand typically a King),

Siphon G

A: Break Stowage Diag. L23

B: Stowage Diag. L21

C:  Sorting Diag. L25

D: Sorting Diag. L18

E: Sorting Diag. L25 or L14

F: Full Break Diag. K40 or K17

Siphon G

The 1948 notes also provide more detail on the Siphons, listing 5 in total which were branded to work on the WoE TPO only (4 in each formation plus a spare, 2 of which were dropped before it reached Brent and hence are omitted from the above.)  It is my assumption that these same 5 siphons would also be dedicated pre BR (2 Diagram O22 and 3 Diagram O11).

While I need to get hold of the Winter 1947 carriage working documents to confirm, my assumption is that during October of 1947 the LMS sorting coach would probably have returned to the LMS as the first L25 entered service.

So my planned model will be

King, O11 Siphon G, L23, L21, L25, L22, L18 and K17  (with an O22 Siphon intended as a follow up to take it up to the max 8 coach length).

Although I do also have an L24 coming as well, which I believe was only used on the South Wales TPO.  I intend on building it anyway and either using as a strengthening coach adding more stowage capacity, or in the place of the L25 until the Bill Bedford parts become available. 

Finally I also have a Hornby LMS model which is part way through getting improvements to the chassis and roof, this can be dropped into the set as C2 when I want to entertain the children (along with the Hornby collection post / nets which will be located as per the prototype circa the turn of the century when mail was collected / dropped to the west of Brent.)

I haven’t yet decided how exactly I am going to make the models, there are three approaches available:

Mount the etched sides on the current Hornby Colletts (shortened where necessary), which gives a good roof, chassis and bogies but more complicated  and etched overlays for the sides / flattened ends.  The old Hornby Colletts which will be easier to modify the ends (and a lot cheaper), but with much worse bogies / chassis.  Or adapting Comet parts for the ends/roof/underframe, with the added complexity of having to properly form the tumblehome.

The K17 will be drawn up in CAD to produce 10thou plasticard overlays with the Silhouette in order to convert a Hornby coach, while the Siphon just needs fitting with some bogies.

Once the etches arrive I will have a proper look and decide how I am going to progress. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Rich

The summer 1948 cwp lists the Siphons G branded "To work only on Down and Up West of England TPO" as 1223, 1228, 1242, 1250, 1258 and 1275.

Chris

I knew there was something else I intended to put in my post.

From the research I have done so far, I understand that two of them (from memory the first two) are o22 while the rest are o11.)

• RMweb Gold

Another night, another point finished, that now leaves just one point left to complete before the down fiddleyard is ready for use. Once that is built (tomorrow) it will be time to start wiring (and to finally make that control panel.)

I then moved on to fixing my final Castle,

The simptoms pointed towards a wiring issue (it would let me program but wouldn't run), after dismantling it turned out that the loco and tender were wired differently. After rewiring it worked for all of a minute, before putting it on the rollers at which point it stoped and looks like a blown decoder. It can now wait for another day to fully reside and fit another decoder

• RMweb Gold

A bank holiday monday with the family away visiting my wife's parents should result in a lot of layout work

Instead a morning spent on the phone to Spain (where the office has just returned from their summer shutdown), and a boiling hot garage has resulted in not a lot of progress.

I still cant work out what is wrong with Spitfire, other than thinking it must be a blown decoder.

I moved on to working on the fiddle yard once again, fitting the remaining point's switch blades and all of the check rails. Testing highlighted some issues with the second point's right hand switch blade causing derailments, a little work with the file seems to have fixed it. (critical given this is the high speed entrance to the fiddle yard.)

Taking advantage of the nice weather, I moved on to a spot of painting. Giving the Saint body a coat of black, and Brent's footbridge a coat of primer.

After lunch, the next job is going to be installing the Tortoise motors on the remaining three points, If I have managed to cool the garage down enough!

post-54-0-40549200-1503924199_thumb.jpg

post-54-0-29229100-1503924219_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 4