Inspired by Brent June 1947

The Fatadder

• RMweb Premium
On 18/04/2020 at 11:59, The Fatadder said:

Ballasting continues to progress onward towards Exeter,  I have now added all of the point rodding stalls to the left of the signal box ready for ballasting.  The plan is to get them added to the right hand side today in order that I can do a final count of the number of rollers that are going to be needed & take some measurements as to the quantity of rod required. )

As for the ballast itself, the headshunt to the left of the station has been ballasted (where on the prototype you would often see a horsebox).  As has the point between the branch platform and the run around loop.  At this stage I finally emptied the first jar of ballast, which means by a very rough reckoning that I will need to buy one more jar in order to finish the layout.  

I have also made a start on infilling the gaps between the tracks, looking at photos there is a marked difference in colour between the running lines and the area around them (along with an apparent difference in the fineness of the ballast presumably due to a higher quantity of ash mixed in?)   I have been modelling this using Woodland Scenics' fine grey blend, again secured with Klear (though I have found applying it to the shoulder of the Carr's ballast and allowing capillary action to bring it into the Woodland Scenics ballast worked best (as dropping it on would move the fine stones). 

D32C7A86-2FF4-4AFF-9B09-54D381BA858E.jpeg.2bbc420bc5791c709df9ba1e82410cfd.jpeg

There is still a little more work to do in order to complete the fine ballast (after drinking two thirds of a bottle of St Emillion while ballasting / on a zoom call last night I figured it was time to stop!   So progress should resume tonight.  There are still a number of areas that cant be finished due to other work, around where the two bridges will be installed (ballasting up to the retaining wall), the end of the headshunt / catch point that was mentioned a couple of posts ago (for which I need to decide if I am adding a buffer stop or going for the gravel trap (I am tending toward the former).  Finally there is the area highlighted in blue below.  This was planned to be a grass bank, but it is on an approximate 60 -65 degree angle and I think that is possibly a bit too steep and a retaining wall is needed instead.  It is the area highlighted in blue below.  I would welcome feedback from anyone who knows more about what would be an appropriate treatment here. 

551E8F53-787D-4B8F-8E61-280978800F68.jpeg.ec99b389e3eea5b35248d9575ca330a4.jpeg

Finally, I have been doing some testing for my next big project  (all be it one which is several years down the line as an exhibition project).  The aim is either based around (or an accurate model of) Bodmin Parkway in 1998.  I am going through a recurring debate about changing my modern modelling back to OO (which would allow me to play with Brent and my 90s stock) or to give 2mm scale a try for my modern modelling.  The test (running a 5 coach HST set that I had just finished respraying) through Brent.  Has given me more to work with, the fact that the HST dwarfs the layout was the real eye opener to which a lot more thought is going to be needed.

C374198E-9036-4866-AADC-1BDD7687661D.jpeg

9000A3CA-303B-4638-BCC5-7B4A7CA5279B.jpeg

Hi Rich,

Good to see a GWT Merlin set. 

I have a Lima Marlin set of HST & 6 carriages, but I don't photograph them in Henley - as its "playing trains" rather than portraying the 1930's era of Henley. I intend to replace the original Lima motor for one from a Hornby Arriva Cross Country HST.

In fact I have 2 x HST sets, as I have a BR Blue set as well.

It's yet another project for the long term!

On 23/04/2020 at 15:45, Brinkly said:

Geoff (Sparky) had a go at detailing a set of four milk tankers some years ago and I'm sure he wont mind me sharing them here; they are on the forum in various places already. 

If memory serves me, he worked on a pair of Hornby, a singular Lima and the Dapol offering. 

1182036169_post-93-0212179001290094950.jpg.32fec9054c89e30f6ce63c628b3c2a2c.jpg

The Dapol tanker had some buffer beam detailing and brakes added to it (one on the left). The one on the right is a Lima tanker, which he removed the axleboxes and springs, brake lever and moulded buffers. New brake parts on the chassis were fitted and full buffer beam detailing. 

90201043_post-93-0608057001289924544_thumb.jpg.74aff56f6471b8e91b5b475ae2f4c89f.jpg

Here is a close up of the Dapol one: I believe the chassis was modified, but for the life of me, I cannot remember what he did. 

854892929_post-93-0172099001290187897.jpg.f6b90a0821049111db66ef4c70be2cef.jpg

Same pair again, being shunted about.

1464787422_post-93-0582731001292693366.jpg.c29e6e9db966c33ac2a0b68388fa185a.jpg

Geoff fitted the walk-way and steps to the one on the right - I think this was constructed from brass strips and wire; all pre-Justin days!

37557821_1455andmilktanksatthecreamery.jpg.94cbc9c91b3ab7ab72ce52ab2414467c.jpg

Propelling into the creamer: I still think this is one of the best model layouts I've seen. Geoff has a very good eye for detailing. 

post-93-0-35374200-1352477196.jpg.6f89daa99ea75cd088e8fe247b9b78b8.jpg

Shot of the modified walkway on the end tanker. 

Painting was with Precision silver and then dirty black, dirty white, road dirt and frame dirt - I still have the hand written list!

Even now, 8-10 years later, I still admire Geoff's work; he is a very skilled modellmaker and I would be pleased if I could get my milk tanks half as good as these! 

I have three (possibly more) Hornby milk tankers to detail and a trio of David Geen kits in a box, but I still think the Hornby and Dapol models are worth working with. 

Best wishes,

Nick.

Lovely to see the milk tanks and also the cattle wagons being developed

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Hi Rich,

Good to see a GWT Merlin set. 

I have a Lima Marlin set of HST & 6 carriages, but I don't photograph them in Henley - as its "playing trains" rather than portraying the 1930's era of Henley. I intend to replace the original Lima motor for one from a Hornby Arriva Cross Country HST.

In fact I have 2 x HST sets, as I have a BR Blue set as well.

It's yet another project for the long term!

I have been testing the powercars (both detailed Lima on new Hornby chassis) along with half a resprayed formation as part of future layout planning for my next modern project.  I was also trying to work out if I could use some cleverness with interchangeable signals and building to build a preserved Brent station in order to run my 90s stock but decided against it as the layout is too short for 8 mk3s!   I also have another full GWT set with intercity powercars and a full Virgin XC rake as part of my 1947 / 1997 models of the same service 50 years apart 

5 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Lovely to see the milk tanks and also the cattle wagons being developed

Slowly coming together now, though the milk needs a little more thought as to how far I will detail them before I start dirtying up.   The cattle wagons are all now ready for paint (just as soon as a Model Air grey black arrives from Amazon so I can start spraying them).

I’m now experimenting with ballast weathering, before getting the airbrush out I have been playing with a very thin wash applied by brush (and capillary action)

1C82C1CC-9C47-43F4-87CF-7C1CD189E1C3.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

A bit of loco modelling before I go out and resume ballasting, having built a gearbox for my Mitchell 43xx.  In order to fit the motor I wanted into the firebox I modified the frame to remove a 3mm deep section allowing the motor to be mounted lower (it would have originally fitted between the frames when they were set to P4...)

it now needs the final fitting (I am using Gibson wheels so a one shot process).  Most annoyingly the old High Level gearbox I am using has a friction fit final gear rather than the grub screw type that I have always used previously.  I assume you secure it with Locktite...

the intention remains ensuring this loco is running before the Dapol one hits the shelves.

I have also found a potential copy of the October 47 carriage working document on eBay, hopefully I will ‘win’ it (if anyone else is planning on bidding please let me know and go for it together).  Looking  at the sample pages there are a few extra services containing firsts (and a that missing LNER coach through to Penzance)

now back to the ballasting...

DB6092D5-0A7C-4295-9960-ABC8798ECAFC.jpeg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

Brave work sir! Looks good. 

Out of interest, what motor and gearbox is fitted? 

Best wishes,

Nick

motor is a Mashima 1422 (I think) while the gearbox is confusing.  It was going to get the box that came with a 2251 chassis (as I had it to hand) but I also had a frame from another HL box that i can’t remember buying (nor did I have any gears for it) so have used those from the 2251.   

the Gibson wheels were an experiment to see how I get on, given that I get 2 locos for the price of a set of Markits (and I am sick of the awful fit between axle and wheel on the last couple of Markits purchases).  So far so good, but I haven’t got the rods on yet...

96A6A44A-58FD-4AFD-AE5F-F8838AAD1F60.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

I have to say I am tempted to try a set if Gibson wheels on a 57xx pannier chassis. I have everything else, just no wheels and have been waiting for them for quite a while. I will follow with interest! 

Best of luck.

Nick.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Rods have been fitted and it worked beautifully, before removing them to finish prepping crank pins etc to clear the slidebars and build a new pony truck. 

Then once reassembled it can have one final test before I locktight that final drive gear into position. 

Then I need to get the tender rebuilt to OO which will be fun as unlike with the loco chassis rebuild, I don’t have the right spacers.  The plan is to cut it in half with the dremmel, the use Comet OO spacers on top of the Mitchell ones to correctly space it as I reassemble.....

9FF9F614-69AD-48C7-BDB6-B882420F9E27.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Back tracking to the subject of point rodding alongside platforms there is a photo of this at Yeovil Pen Mill on Andrew Ducans thread on Templot, you will need to scroll down the page.

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=2547&forum_id=6&jump_to=29443#p29443

The mogul is coming along nicely.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Back tracking to the subject of point rodding alongside platforms there is a photo of this at Yeovil Pen Mill on Andrew Ducans thread on Templot, you will need to scroll down the page.

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=2547&forum_id=6&jump_to=29443#p29443

The mogul is coming along nicely.

Thanks, that is very interesting to see.  
With the ballasting of the platform area nearly finished this would be about the time someone posts a perfectly clear photo of the rodding through Brent...

hopefully I will get an order placed with ModelU and Wizzard soon.  Though I need to free up funds and I’m loathed to do any selling until Lockdown is lifted..... 

speaking of the Mogul, this is how I left it last night 

EFECC906-CE73-4B08-9298-EC5BA9443952.jpeg.7781880e2e59cfc62c7850276a5415f7.jpeg

the lead crankpins need another half mm removing to clear the cross head (I only had them clearing the slide bars. 

im having issues with the centre axle, the crankpin isn’t long enough.  (Not helped by the short OO axles and the very thick rods that were built for P4.  I think the solution will be recessing the crankpin nut into the boss of the con rod.

I love kit building, but absolutely hate getting the dammed things to work!

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold

I now really regret not purchasing a 43xx Mitchell kit last year. I have a Perseverance chassis and elderly Mainline body, which is why I didn't. 

I will have a go at detailing the body at some point and see how I get on; I'm currently waiting for the Markits wheels to arrive. A 43xx has no place on the Launceston branch; rule number 1 is coming into play here! 

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I wish I had bought a Collett version to go

with it, I live in hope that the Mitchell range will re appear at some point.....  They are such nice kits to build.  I did have a Mainline bodyshell that I was planning to use before I bought this, the intention being to add the missing lower boiler.  

i have a fantastic photo of the loco I’ve modelled on a 4 coach set between Exeter and Plymouth which includes a toplight, a centenary BCK and an ex LNWR coach (per the Ratio kit!)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Well I’ve now ran out of ballast, but on the plus side that means all the ballast I do have is fixed down to the baseboard.  All that remains is the track east of the bridge (including the branch), the track through the goods shed and the lower siding past the cattle dock.   In order to do so, I need to get that extra jar of carrs ballast 

B848CDCF-BEA7-4BFB-840F-B4E51DF56F51.jpeg

4E976C7C-F149-4241-A33D-77E79A112272.jpeg

The next big job is track weathering (and there’s a lot to weather) along with getting the platform surface down.

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Trying to get a few wagons finished, they now just need couplings adding

First a Parkside LNER lowfit and a Conflat S

The lowfit has been given a new tractor as a load (tied down to the buffers).  Transfers were from a Modelmasters BR sheer (to get the not to be loaded with containers transfer and HMRS for the rest.). 
While the conflat has temporarily been matched with a GWR insulated container while I try and find something more suitable.   Transfers for this were from

HMRS.

736FBF96-6BC7-4FC0-8AA7-E8C7CB274F35.jpeg.10e217f8f2fbb9f8dad143ad69da2692.jpeg

I also painted and lettered a Ratio LMS 3 plank, again with a HMRS sheet.  As per the Parkside pair it’s been built with Bill Bedford units.

2FD3E08F-6C8B-4D59-AFAF-EC3BFF8EDE3F.jpeg.4514debc1e9fd8f52b0bf71a6db03eae.jpeg

now to get some couplings added...

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

While I await a delivery of more ballast, I have continued working on trying to finish off some more freight stock

The next batch contained an LMS 1 plank (I think from a Cambrian kit) which needed a set of OO wheels (requiring smaller weights fitting), springs and axleboxes and new buffer heads.  While it was out I also added a dirty wash over the insides.  

This was followed by an LMS 5 plank (who's origins escape me) which required the same treatment (but still needs the axleboxes fitting) 

944FD350-BF0B-4682-80F5-E7D84C6880CB.jpeg.8ad3876307e636c1c4a2f303081076f0.jpeg

Completing the LMS contingent was this van (built from another Cambrian kit), this had suffered a broken W iron last year when removing the P4 wheels to convert to OO (which in turn was followed by breaking the other end when fitting the new wheels.)   The W iron was glued back in place with superglue, along with a reinforcing plate behind it and now is good to go.

9C324DA7-C9C7-496B-8B62-72C84D42B9A4.jpeg.9698053758983228124eec356e861dd0.jpeg

In all 3 cases (along with the wagons in the previous post) they still need to be fitted with couplings.  This is going to be a long job due to the number of couplings which need to be fabricated.  (Bearing in mind that at present one loco and one coach are fitted with Dinghams out of the entire fleet).  As mentioned previously the plan is that outer coaches / wagons on fixed rakes will have a Dingham fitted, while inners will have a wire hook and loop following Tony Wright's method.  Any stock intended for shunting (so strengthening coaches, any freight that will go to the branch) will get a Dingham on both ends.   With freight it leads to a question as to what should gain a Dingham (more planning is needed as to what wagons will be needed for the branch freight / pickup goods and what are needed on through services.  

Moving back to wagon builds, the next was another PO coal wagon.  A while back I dug out a couple of old Bachmann models from my childhood planning to add new chassis under them.  One has had the chassis built (and is currently sat on Brent as part of the coal train), the aim is to have a length of 24 wagons behind my 2800 (on the assumption you get 3 wagons to a coach length I think that's about the limit in the fiddleyard.)   I havent bought many Cambrian kits recently so have no more spare chassis parts in order to make the chassis for the Wayken wagon, so I have found an old Bachmann chassis from the scrap box and restored it to service.  Before doing so I used a fibreglass brush to distress the wagons branding, picked out some replacement planks (including a new number on black background) and a wash of dirty black.

549AFF65-8953-42DC-AA3E-9060008F1DB9.jpeg.d03adc4b6f93e4dd4b4bdf074453b1d2.jpeg

Finally to show I do actually model some GWR wagons, the next batch to be worked on.  I have been going through painting a number of GW wagons which are now ready for transfers.  This includes 4 Coopercraft W3 cattle vans, 1 Airfix cattle van converted into a W12, a Cambrian N30 loco coal, a Ratio Open C, a Coopercraft provender open and a Coopercraft Mink.  All have been painted in Vallejo Grey Black as a good match for GWR grey, with roofs in a grey blend and are now ready for transfers.   Once these are out the way I guess the next job is to start building my stock of Dinghams... 

As an aside these photos reinforce the need for me to get on and repurpose my Pendon scenic course work piece into a proper photo plank by changing the track into a length of ballasted OO track.   Of course the main stumbling block at the moment is my lack of ballast, so should there be any left over when I finish brent this is where it will be going...

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

With freight it leads to a question as to what should gain a Dingham

A friend has his wagons permanently coupled in cuts of three with autocouplers on the outer ends only.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

A friend has his wagons permanently coupled in cuts of three with autocouplers on the outer ends only.

That was along the lines of what I was thinking, but I think I need to do some shunting first, as I have no idea just what I am going to need ( or how much will be shunted out of trains in the yard).  Maybe blocks of 3 but with a number of singles mixed in.

For the moment I am continuing with the wagon lettering, with a Ratio Open C.  This was a bit tricky to letter given it appears to be rather in accurate (I think the end plates are about 1mm to wide).   I really wish Railtec did GW wagon numbers in the  post 34 style, as it’s a bit of a tiring job making up those wagon numbers!

E73703D1-B8C2-4984-BE13-3B70E935F9F6.jpeg.16ebf952090fc6cc124798067fafee33.jpeg

next up a Cambrian N30 loco coal wagon, I have 2 more of these pending build ( and at least one Coopercraft example in a box).  I was thinking I had too many but I am now thinking it’s actually about right.   This one will be used for the delivery of coal to Kingsbridge loco shed (I am building one of my other Cambrian N30s as the same wagon in empty condition for the return journey.

3BC90218-5C7F-4ECD-8BBF-265966046F3E.jpeg.46bd41e6aa5a0003f7993255935f9460.jpeg

In turn this led to a thought about the fiddleyard, I need to add a connection between the lowest road of the down fiddleyard and the Kingsbridge fiddleyard. The idea would be that the Newton Abbot - Kingsbridge freight would run from the main fiddleyard to Kingsbridge and shunt off scene back into the main yard (and vice versa for the empties.)

Back to the wagons, the next onto the bench was a Coopercraft V5 Mink.  Which was half complete before I realised just how late it was and figured I ought to stop. 
it just needs a number to finish it off.   
(though finding numbers has proven a little tricky for these and the cattle wagons)

Toadays batch will be finishing off the Mink before numbering the Q1 and 5 cattle wagons.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Some loco coal wagons were used to dispose of ash from the shed, less ash out than coal in.

Thanks for that, still need two models of the same wagon but both with loads in that case 

4 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Back to the wagons, the next onto the bench was a Coopercraft V5 Mink.  Which was half complete before I realised just how late it was and figured I ought to stop. 
it just needs a number to finish it off.   
(though finding numbers has proven a little tricky for these and the cattle wagons)

If you let me know which diagrams you need numbers for I'll consult my copy of A History of GWR Goods Wagons and give you some options. 

Cheers.

CoY

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, County of Yorkshire said:

If you let me know which diagrams you need numbers for I'll consult my copy of A History of GWR Goods Wagons and give you some options. 

Cheers.

CoY

Thanks for the offer, I hadn’t actually looked into vol 1 (given when looking for photos it’s not the most useful). I hadn’t realised there were long tables of wagon numbers!  Annoyingly this means I need to go back and check the guesses numbers from yesterday.  (Its odd, if I don’t know better I’m happy with an incorrect number. If I know then I have to fix it!)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/04/2020 at 22:25, The Fatadder said:

I am sick of the awful fit between axle and wheel on the last couple of Markits purchases

On 28/04/2020 at 22:43, Brinkly said:

I have to say I am tempted to try a set if Gibson wheels on a 57xx pannier chassis. I have everything else, just no wheels and have been waiting for them for quite a while

I'd stick with the Markits option, chaps, if you can.

I do understand what you say about the fit of wheels on axles (presume you are talking about what I have experienced, in some instances anyway, in that the square hole in the wheel isn't quite large enough for the square boss on the end of the axle to fit?). If so, there is a simple fix for this, in that you take a small, square needle file and very gently remove a small amount of material from the square hole in the wheel at a time (just one or two passes between checking) and the wheels will then fit fine.

Alternatively, you might get lucky, as I did with the wheels for my 74XX. I got the file out ready, only to find that the wheels fitted fine the first time.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I'd stick with the Markits option, chaps, if you can.

I do understand what you say about the fit of wheels on axles (presume you are talking about what I have experienced, in some instances anyway, in that the square hole in the wheel isn't quite large enough for the square boss on the end of the axle to fit?).

I haven’t bought a single set of new Markits in the last 2 years which have worked out the packet.  At the price they charge, I expect them to work not to have to spend time fettling them to get the axles to work.  

the Gibson’s on the other hand I expect some issues, but at the relative price it’s not so hard to stomach.  
If Markits actually bothered with some form of quality control to justify those prices it wouldn’t be an issue (and would be an easy choice to go with).

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Back to the wagons

i have checked through the last few days work against the numbers data in Atkins et  al and there is only one error (my Q1 which needs a 9 changing to a 0).

7AFADEAB-D54E-41D2-BA4D-B1FBAD8CEB7E.jpeg.a5afd41bca12c4da1fca62b201f33a80.jpeg
Q1 provender wagon in tired G W livery with several replaces planks (and an incorrect number). I have not found a 1947 photo to work from) 

2FBD27B6-DC5E-4FA6-8D45-BEA11D198E82.jpeg.47a4c1fd8920ba4e0222874abeb56ec6.jpeg

coopercraft V5 Mink with Brent destination chalked on the side)

the first two cattle wagons are done, after struggling to get the numbers to fit I have used the slightly too small ones on the ‘34 liveried example.

The early liveried example is based on a BR example of a W8 (which still had its large G W) but with a more recent XP and WB branding.  The source photo also had a new BR number painted on.

3A8A73EB-BA51-489E-8C8F-0B6FBE780E8A.jpeg.3105f3e4c915c9d13ad1af5e8f6aa9e4.jpeg

Finally a standard post 34 liveried example again from a photo but a slight number change) 7C4C16C9-3DEA-4270-BF01-380F56908099.jpeg.2118011e68f3363093ace0ec5455b4b2.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

I haven’t bought a single set of new Markits in the last 2 years which have worked out the packet.  At the price they charge, I expect them to work not to have to spend time fettling them to get the axles to work.  

the Gibson’s on the other hand I expect some issues, but at the relative price it’s not so hard to stomach.  
If Markits actually bothered with some form of quality control to justify those prices it wouldn’t be an issue (and would be an easy choice to go with).

Well, that's a point of view, of course.

But as the fix is so easy, and given the fact that one frequently needs to remove and replace wheels when building a chassis, I'd have thought that it was still a straightforward choice to make. Most Gibson wheels that I've used (or have in stock) also require you to drill your own crankpin holes out and then tap them.

Tant pis!