Inspired by Brent June 1947

The Fatadder

• RMweb Gold

In the end I did manage a little time in the garage, and have set up a Wi-fi plug on the heater so the room can be pre heated...

as a result the modifications to the foam core for the vicarage road bridge are complete, and the walls have been cut or size.  Taking these back inside, they have now been fitted with the inner edges of the road and are ready for the prep of bricks to commence tomorrow.  

I also bought in the house which will overlook the western approach to the station (a change to the prototype building  to better fit the changed landscape west of Vicarage Road).  This was built for a previous layout, but not finished on one side.  This now has been clad in SE Finecast embossed sheet and will be gaining a chimney breast once it has cured.  I will then need to remember the paint mix used when originally painting it, or alternatively I need a convincing way of painting a whitewashed house...

finally, I bought the footbridge inside to make a start on painting it over the next few weeks.  It still needs the smoke deflectors fitting and the curved brackets on the sides. The latter will be added once the dark stone has been painted to assist masking). So far the first coat of light stone and brown for the wooden steps has been applied, the second cost should be on tomorrow before getting stated with the more difficult job with the dark stone later in the week.

finallt the water crane is now in place (temporarily) on the platformBF8BBE3F-9FC0-4436-B0A3-9CA56C532901.jpeg.f2d2c44b5e0cb310d25e538de96364e2.jpeg

I have been giving thought to the grass areas, currently debating between applying static grass straight to the plaster or using a grass mat as a base and adding the static grass on top...

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Lots of painting, nothing finished was the story of tonight.  With the walls slowly progressing (but taking a little longer than normal as I couldn’t remember my usual paint mix.) 

I have also been getting on with the paint on the footbridge.  The light stone is now pretty much down, and a rough coat of dark stone has been added to most of the areas that were still in bare primer.  Painting the rest will take some time given the need for a lot of precision masking!   
9F2A807C-D003-4491-AD69-680D20B5D026.jpeg.da438a28245653fa15064a716d41e33a.jpeg

finally I now have the sand paper needed for the platform surface. Meaning another job can soon start, just need to work out how I will build up the banks behind the up platform before installing the surface  

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Two areas of work this evening, first up the retaining walls.  All have now been painted with the first 2 stages. While one side of three parts had reached the final step.

1, bricks are picked out in various shades, for something in the background a shortcut I have used is a black sharpy marker.

2, a mix comprising 3 or 4 shades is roughly painted over the whole area.  In this case I used two applications, a dark mix of track colour and RES grey, then my stone mix of LNER red oxide, track colour and concrete.  This is only roughly mixed aiming for a different shade each time the brush is loaded.   It needs to be a very messy job with variations in colour and density of paint.

3, the final step is a thick coat of a mortar colour.  I use Vallejo buff with a bit of leather.  This is immediately wiped off leaving paint in the mortar grooves (and a general dulling of the rest). A weathering cost can then be applied if needed.

On the left is stage 2, the right stage 33B7359E6-0F88-4C99-8146-A1C9CC665C2B.jpeg.93067aca6fe3a346a374a76a285f6a3c.jpeg

attention then moved back to the footbridge, lots of painting to get the dark stone added.   I then set about adding the curved loops to the sides.  These were superglued in place wising 60thou by 10

thou plastic around a tube former.  They now need painting once dry, before adding the glazing to the west side of the bridge.  With the at done I can finally add the roof.EC9349E7-DC06-4925-AF64-78D134401203.jpeg.692dbe78e32fd706337591dd55f7c1f2.jpeg 

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

The focus this evening has been the roof, a rather fiddly endeavour due to the modifications made to the core kit.  Before fitting the roof glazing was added to the west facing side.

but it is coming together, unfortunately I’ve broken one of the curved parts on the side (which will be a real pain to fix now).

B2E17568-D48B-48D6-916C-97A34D8B537F.jpeg.9ff620c60b2b71e493d9058b9c4d9c9a.jpeg

Three jobs remain,

Add the pipe on the far side

Add the facia panel around the edge of the roof

Finally more paint. 

All of the retaining walls are now fully painted and ready for installation on the layout later in the week. 

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

repairs to the damaged part now fixed, joints in roof filled with Vallejo filler (my first time using it, I was impressed).  The pipe has been added to the right hand side, and a start has been made on the facia.

tomorrow night I want to finish the facia and fit the smoke deflectors, plus hopefully finish the paint... 

E2122503-8F46-43FB-8282-92471D6AF6DC.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

repairs to the damaged part now fixed, joints in roof filled with Vallejo filler (my first time using it, I was impressed).  The pipe has been added to the right hand side, and a start has been made on the facia.

tomorrow night I want to finish the facia and fit the smoke deflectors, plus hopefully finish the paint... 

E2122503-8F46-43FB-8282-92471D6AF6DC.jpeg

Ah, the infamous stench pipe!

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I couldn’t face any more plasticard onto the bridge, so did a spot of lunchtime weathering on 1470.  Aiming to hide where I had been removing the bunker steps

it had already had the smoke box painted grey black, and a weathering mix over the cab roof, frames and footplate.  Today it got further treatment with tamyia powders to finish it off.    It’s probably nowhere near as dirty as the real thing would have been in 47, but I’d say it’s dirty enough for my liking 

bottom two photos were before weathering 

517E1093-A260-46E4-A935-0977412FBD09.jpeg

43D44128-A43D-4007-8C13-09D1D312B453.jpeg

D250DD17-81B8-4CF2-BE78-4DAFA4B5A0F9.jpeg

D44E1292-FACD-4731-8B2B-50C10D1FB7F6.jpeg

• Like 12

18 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

filled with Vallejo filler

Hi Rich,

I have also used the Vallejo filler, which is the acrylic based one, and have found it tends to remain soft for quite some time, up to a week even in a warm environment.

Have you found this to be the case too, which lead to waiting prior to painting, any thoughts ?

G

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

And now it’s finished (bar a dusting of weathering from the airbrush at a later date.)

As mentioned before it is pretty much first on the chopping block once the layout is more complete.  I hadn’t noticed at the time but it’s far too tall, as well as not being long enough (though the latter is something of a blessing in disguise as my bay platform is narrower than the prototype.)

I would love to replace with an etched version, there was a kit mooted by Mark Humphrys a couple of years back. (The test etch of which looked amazing at Scalefourm, all be it incredibly complicated to build). Otherwise it will be starting from scratch in plastic.  

Discrepancies aside it’s been a fun build, and has resulted in a structure which will at least look the part as the layout develops.

I will add a few better photos tomorrow once it’s on the layout

9391243A-EF2E-4853-8A51-A5F13471F860.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

The bridge is now temporarily installed on the layout, I can’t live with the height issue so it’s going to have to be replaced.   

However first I need to build the canopy on the up platform, and build the down waiting room (on which the canopy will be intergrated with the roof.)  This will allow me to verify if I need to keep the narrowed width.  I think it’s a bit tricky, as I have a feeling due to the narrowing of the down platform a scale width bridge wouldn’t fit.  This will leave a question between changing the size of the panels (to keep 8 or have 6 larger panels) or an odd number (I think at a rough guess it would need 7 panels.  Will also need to source another Hornby kit for its roof and steps (though this time will likely do my own vallance on the cutter.)

I have a plan for adding an extra layer to the build with the rivet detail as well...

7F389731-99E4-4147-A610-2053269B47F9.jpeg.10e770a73cae9ac0bb2b14588f67b459.jpeg

C9B4849F-B23E-4F65-92AD-E82660D2CB8C.jpeg.3c7d6167c2d16df6e762a95950cd83be.jpeg

Moving on to Vicarage Road, the retaining walls have now been added to the south side, with the bridge pillars also glued into position.  In theory the deck should still be removable allowing access for weathering the track. 

More work is needed with the pink foam to add the road for the north side of the bridge ( without which the walls can’t be added).  Along with the slope of the hill as it comes down towards the station 

09E29C7D-E2BD-459D-90C0-4445704A719F.jpeg.b4d351e05f6765d2b95ef2da83e4fff2.jpeg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

A little more progress, with the bricks painted on the water tower, along with painting the water tank in light stone.

tomorrow I will add the mortar onto the building, and the dark stone onto the tank. Before finishing off later in the week.  

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

The bridge is now temporarily installed on the layout, I can’t live with the height issue so it’s going to have to be replaced.  

Could you remove a panel from the steps?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Could you remove a panel from the steps?

Maybe, but I have a strong suspicion if I try the whole thing is going to self destruct.   Given there are a few areas it could be improved I think starting again seems sensible

particularly as it means I can sort the width issue as well 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

The water tower is progressing well, but I need to wrk out how the door should be painted.   Based on the painting instructions for water towers it refers to goods shed doors (light stone with a dark stone boarder.)

however I have seen a photo of a model of this building which had the door painted with the lower half dark stone and upper half light stone.   Prototype photos are too distant to be conclusive...

any thoughts?

CFBA331B-7653-48AF-B138-35D5823FCD16.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

a little more painting on the water tower

1E97ACC6-B281-4797-92DE-BA301400CADE.jpeg.386f5c20f6056e4f9b4f22ff21578c8e.jpeg

slowly starting to come together.  The tank and building have now been glued together (just after taking the photo) and the pull-up wheel for the measurement gauge has been added.  The gauge itself needs scratch building as it’s a different design to the kit, and will be added tomorrow.

That just leaves the platform and ladder, the ladder in the kit is too short (as my building is higher than ratio’s) so will need replacing. 

lack of photos is proving a real hinderance,

But as far as I can make out there is a platform above the corrugated roof on the right hand side.  The structure supporting which must be hidden under the roof.

once the platform is in place I will then finally paint the roof grey, and add the water level markings.

• Like 13

Is it possible that the bottom of the doors on the water tower were painted in No4? chocolate brown to protect them and hide marks the same way that the lower part of engine shed and signal box doors were and that is what you are looking at in the old photographs?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Is it possible that the bottom of the doors on the water tower were painted in No4? chocolate brown to protect them and hide marks the same way that the lower part of engine shed and signal box doors were and that is what you are looking at in the old photographs?

That would make a lot of sense, especially as the painting guidance referred to goods sheds.  

I still haven’t found a photo of another door without the 2 inch frame around the edge to compete against. ( though that not overly surprising as I have very few structural images other than Brent)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I could be wrong, but I haven't seen many photos of GWR doors like that in colour, they were always on the buildings of lower status. You have two simple ledged and braced doors there. Most colour photographs show ledged, braced and framed doors (as on many goods sheds) 

The painting on those is hanging rail, head rail, shut rail, dark stone. Outer frame of door dark stone. Vertical centre boards, light stone. Exposed ironworks, black. The bottom 4ft was in some cases chocolate brown.

Doors like the simple ledged and braced ones on your water tower were often fitted singly to PW huts and apparently painted dark stone. (The rest of the building being black tarred) 

The large head beam on your model puts me in mind of goods sheds. Painting of those seems to vary. If it were my model I would probably go for all over dark stone including the head rail, then the bottom 4ft in chocolate brown. The hinges I expect would be black.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to a kind member of the GWR Facebook group for producing the transfers, 4025 is now finally finished with the “Star Class” branding added in the location of the former Italian Monarch nameplates.  
With that done it was treated to a coat of Dullcoat and the completion of the weathering.   (For now at least)

Last night in preparation the cab roof, tender top and smoke box got a coat of grey black.  Along with the frames / footplate sides.  Once the dullcoat was dry, it was then given a going over with Tamiya weathering powders to finish off.   The brass safety valve bonnet needs toning down further, I think from the photo it is brass (the chimney top is certainly copper), but the bonnet is very dirty so it’s hard to tell.   

Other than that the model has the shelf replaced with a wire handrail, for the moment the vertical cab handrail has been left alone as I’m concerned about strength of a glued replacement (whereas I’d have been happy to soldered the wire in place)

79065F69-9E3F-4F23-9EC5-6083C8805A80.jpeg

C11145FF-E546-4532-A084-FF26C143ED0A.jpeg

7400970B-EAD5-4E71-B142-A1D456D7F075.jpeg

• Like 13