Inspired by Brent June 1947

The Fatadder

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Kris said:

Really interesting to see what you are doing with the K18. I have an O gauge version sat in a cupboard waiting to be built. I also have a 2mm Blacksmith kit to build. Neither have instructions so seeing your method is helpful. 

Let me know if you would like a copy of the 4mm scale instructions 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The underframe parts have now been soldered on, and a temporary set of American bogies added.  These actually only have frames on one side (using an A1 Models bogie etch), having come as a single bogie with a 2nd hand Siphon F that now has a set of 247s finest under it.  The door vents have also been fitted.

8CBC204C-F795-4752-8A99-532857D14990.jpeg.93d4b5483e2b0e2af5805e3b49493294.jpeg8CBC204C-F795-4752-8A99-532857D14990.jpeg.93d4b5483e2b0e2af5805e3b49493294.jpeg

So the remaining jobs (all of which require a delivery of parts)
- MJT roof
- Comet vacuum cylinders /dyno, once fitted the rest of the brake linkages need fitting 
- Comet buffers
- 247 bogies 
- add the wire loops to the battery boxes
- couplings 
And of course a coat of paint in the spring 

EA91F57F-BBB7-45E7-9FFF-369E45079AB3.jpeg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

The underframe parts have now been soldered on, and a temporary set of American bogies added.  These actually only have frames on one side (using an A1 Models bogie etch), having come as a single bogie with a 2nd hand Siphon F that now has a set of 247s finest under it.  The door vents have also been fitted.

8CBC204C-F795-4752-8A99-532857D14990.jpeg.93d4b5483e2b0e2af5805e3b49493294.jpeg8CBC204C-F795-4752-8A99-532857D14990.jpeg.93d4b5483e2b0e2af5805e3b49493294.jpeg

So the remaining jobs (all of which require a delivery of parts)
- MJT roof
- Comet vacuum cylinders /dyno, once fitted the rest of the brake linkages need fitting 
- Comet buffers
- 247 bogies 
- add the wire loops to the battery boxes
- couplings 
And of course a coat of paint in the spring 

EA91F57F-BBB7-45E7-9FFF-369E45079AB3.jpeg

@The FatadderRich, you seem to be turning new carriages out, almost on a daily basis. Great to see, so many new carriages being built for Brent.

Oh to have the time! Its great to see, please don’t stop.

But again you have commented about painting in the Spring.... I’ve not had the spray gun out recently... admittedly our temperatures are a bit different here. But should I avoid painting in the winter? Thanks.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

That's all you need on your layout!

Well I do tend to only add transfers to the side which has the best paint...

4 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Keep it to add strength to the body but chop it off at cantrail level.

I had the same thought and ended up soldering the partition to the sides to help ensure they don’t bow out.  I didn’t solder to the cantrail to assist in chopping if necessary.

44 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

@The FatadderRich, you seem to be turning new carriages out, almost on a daily basis. Great to see, so many new carriages being built for Brent.

Oh to have the time! Its great to see, please don’t stop.

But again you have commented about painting in the Spring.... I’ve not had the spray gun out recently... admittedly our temperatures are a bit different here. But should I avoid painting in the winter? Thanks.

I find motivation comes in spurts, need to make use of it while it’s there!  Now the coach is as complete as possible it’s back to soldering up Dinghams to continue on the backlog.  After a pack of Bachmann conflat containers arrived today, the next wagon to be done will be an LMS 3plank with container.  Really I could do with cracking on in the garage, certainly that’s the plan for tomorrow  (if it’s not raining) as I have the next signal arriving.

I think with paint it needs to be 12 degrees as a minimum, though I find I get better results a bit warmer.  The key for me is that I need a steady period of warm temps first to ensure the compressor is not freezing cold.  This was the last build for which I have on the shelf that’s suitable for the layout, so it’s either wagons or loco chassis now.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Well I do tend to only add transfers to the side which has the best paint...

I had the same thought and ended up soldering the partition to the sides to help ensure they don’t bow out.  I didn’t solder to the cantrail to assist in chopping if necessary.

I find motivation comes in spurts, need to make use of it while it’s there!  Now the coach is as complete as possible it’s back to soldering up Dinghams to continue on the backlog.  After a pack of Bachmann conflat containers arrived today, the next wagon to be done will be an LMS 3plank with container.  Really I could do with cracking on in the garage, certainly that’s the plan for tomorrow  (if it’s not raining) as I have the next signal arriving.

I think with paint it needs to be 12 degrees as a minimum, though I find I get better results a bit warmer.  The key for me is that I need a steady period of warm temps first to ensure the compressor is not freezing cold.  This was the last build for which I have on the shelf that’s suitable for the layout, so it’s either wagons or loco chassis now.

Thanks for that regarding spraying. I tend to use the back garden, but at this time of year it’s a lot colder than the front.... I will waiting a few weeks before getting it all out.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

With the K18 paused its onto the next item in the list, with another 5 Dinghams soldered up and dunked in gun blue (from which they are now drying).  This will give couplings for my black 42xx, Star tender, and 3 more wagons (which will hopefully all get fitted tonight.)

I have also been working on finishing off some B Set improvements, A very long time ago I started work trying to correct the Airfix/Hornby model.  Tackling the additional window, recessed door handles and the incorrect chassis.  After finding cutting out the small square holes for the recessed door handles an absloute pig work on the body stopped, but one chassis was almost complete.   My plan is to use this and another chassis from the WIP box to build a pair of chassis for my wartime brown set, then when that is finished repeat the process for the chocolate and cream set.

The work consists of:

- Removal of the incorrect battery box and replacement (Comet) on the other side of the coach

- Add the missing V hangers / brake linkages to the vac clyinders 

- New flat headstocks (with Comet buffers), this is the most important part of the work.  Having replaced the tensionlocks with Dinghams on the chocolate and cream set, the gap between the loco and coach is huge (given that the Dingham is mounted so far forward on the curved headstock.  The replacement is built up from a 2mm thick length of plasticard between the solbars, with a 10thou overlay for the actual headstock. 

With that done I will eventually have to have another think about the coach itself, I was living in hope that Hornby would have refreshed the B Set with an accurate model by now (but I think the non corridor coaches released the other year put paid to that).  No one produces a kit or etched sides, so when it comes to it I guess I will have to do it myself.  But for now I will just have to live with the inaccuracies.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, The Fatadder said:

I was living in hope that Hornby would have refreshed the B Set with an accurate model by now (but I think the non corridor coaches released the other year put paid to that).  No one produces a kit or etched sides, so when it comes to it I guess I will have to do it myself.  But for now I will just have to live with the inaccuracies.

5522, now owned by Paul Willis, used to produce a kit.  Might be worth asking the question ...

Chris

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, chrisf said:

5522, now owned by Paul Willis, used to produce a kit.  Might be worth asking the question ...

Chris

I did speak to the previous owner about it, only to be told it didnt sell very well and wasnt viable to do another run 

I will drop a line to Paul when I am ready to progress, as i dont overly fancy trying to draw up the artwork for the recessed doors.  (that said I dont particularly fancy building them either, so it will likely remain well down the list)

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

A trip to the post office to post off another batch of swapped wheels left little time for lunchtime modelling today, rain stopped play so no primer on the K18 yet.  Instead back to assembling Dinghams, with this morning's batch now finished and drying after the dunk in gun blue.  I did find time to fit the couplings to the LMS 3 plank, along with a rear coupling to the 42xx (the front will need a Markits screwlink building at a later date).    I think thats the only way to tackle these huge jobs like fitting new couplings (likewise adding loco crews & weathering).  Just do it a small batch at a time and eventually the fleet will be completely upgraded. 

The LMS 3 plank (either Ratio or Cambrian I think) has been fitted with an LMS container as a load.  There is a photo (showing the rear of the container in a 3 plank) of a similar wagon inside the goods shed at Brent so it had to be modelled.  The Bachmann container needed a little modification to get it to fit (all of the raised bits along the lower edge needed thinning).

AAA073CE-1D63-427C-ABC4-9A11F34EEB54.jpeg.455f3bc9a70b46b40968f55c62f82c65.jpeg

The 42xx is currently awaiting the glue to set in order that I can check it has worked.  There is next to no clearance between the rear of the headstock and the cast metal chassis block.  I have bent the shank of the coupling through 90 degrees, and glued to the rear of the headstock.  The gap between the headstock and chassis is about that of the coupling so its going to be tight reassembling.  All being well when I make it out to the garage this evening / tomorrow I will be able to get a good photo of the clay train passing over the bridge.

This leaves me with one loco coupling (most likely for the star) and 2 complete pairs for stock.  The horsebox is likely to get one set, while the other I am undecided. 

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

The 42xx took a little more effort than I expected, the gap Between chassis and headstock was a little smaller than I thought and some filing of both the back of the block and the back of the coupling was needed.  However it’s now back together.

The K18 has been given a coat of etch primer, and now needs a few minor bits of rework before it can be sprayed brown (tomorrow if the weather suits).  While I’m at the paint out I have a Hornby clerestory which is also going in all over brown.

Back to wagons, a Hornby Macaw H which I have repainted the wood, added new stanchions and a set of Dinghams.

AE944713-BAFE-45D1-9BA2-3F9CB74234A4.jpeg.7e0b7224e58f8759ee0a6eded54ab5ea.jpegE9D44CB6-F755-40EA-B272-D9102B4E5315.jpeg.fea7fbf6cca287e86360ca27a95095cc.jpeg

The Horsebox and LMS 3 plank both also got Dinghams.  

82F73636-3061-406E-9080-0DBD47796487.jpeg.40fa4641576b62ce3ac7e925cb73b598.jpeg31A2E126-42A6-4D67-9360-7912B0930C0D.jpeg.7ed63fbd3871ac1cb07a39ad1c0805f4.jpeg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

A little follow up from the last post with the current state of the K18, along with a rebranded Hornby Toad that’s just received Dinghams and a stat to the weathering.  The photo shows off some damage incurred when removing the original large G, I am going to give it a going over with powders in the morning to further disguise it.   (The mark is barely visible to the eye).  I will

sort out the bent foot step while I’m at it

7A52680C-79BA-4728-ABC8-C794C0296029.jpeg

59B9E5B7-E331-4656-A217-DBF062B1EC16.jpeg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Some painting today: K18 - sprayed brown, black ends and a weathered under frame.  The next step is a gloss coat before transfers (a job for this afternoon)

85ADC3AC-9FEB-4A02-80B2-B87DFECD265D.jpeg.0e6cf37b0c6cd53a22d6e1030d78d390.jpeg

Can’t wait for the MJT bits to arrive, I’m going to pinch buffers from the TPO to get it finished while I wait to place my next Wizard order.

A Hornby clerestory which has also been respected into all over brown,  it will eventually get an upgrade with new sides to better model the coach but this will do for now.  This also needs buffers ordering.

A53DE282-5BDB-4D2C-B8F6-0CB67F028DE4.jpeg.a56f24307badd0ee01af450391f5fcce.jpeg

Finally I had leftover roof paint from the clerestory so finished off the roof on a Slaters Toplight Third.  Still needs some lettering adding and a chassis build.  Finishing this will be one of the next stocl

building priorities once the wagon couplings are complete.

99571A14-2F7C-41EE-8856-18B342748E1C.jpeg.0e03351d8785856752c58c863e2f1c99.jpeg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

The K18 is now almost as close to finished as I can get it, with fitted with HMRS transfers, fitted with buffers, retracted corridor connections (made from the ends of the comet castings), and glazing (using Ratio packaging.) 

Checking the milk rake this evening the final tank has a wire hook coupling. So the full brake will need a screw link and a tail lamp ( if I can find one) on the rear and wire loop on the front.  
I think I’m right in saying that the door windows should have grills behind them, so these will need painting and fitting tomorrow (I have the Finney etch) 

One thing I am unclear on is whether the doors should be labelled “Luggage”, the lack of K18 photos is not helpful.DFCF1C0A-5728-4A76-8F41-F0C723FCB3D9.jpeg.ea3e23f336244665305ca321bb3c2911.jpeg

while out in the garage I set up another a long freight with the majority of the wagons I have been working on over the past week, along with my oil fired 4850 on the front, and set up the short clay train (even if there is no fiddleyard room.). The up loop

will have to do its job stabling a freight that won’t fit in the yard.

another signal has been put into position, attention needs to be given to getting these running.  I would like a way of controlling them with the Tortoise micro switches.  I think there is a circuit which can get them to give the required pulse.  Finally the rest of the rails on the bridge fence were painted black (that was the last of my Vallejo black paint) and can now be weathers / touch up the concrete.

I still need another square post signal for the down starter and a short signal (the design ive yet to confirm) under the bridge at the London end.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

One thing I am unclear on is whether the doors should be labelled “Luggage”, the lack of K18 photos is not helpful.

Based on photos in Russell of other similar types, I would say yes (sorry!).

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Based on photos in Russell of other similar types, I would say yes (sorry!).

Looking again (in the main volume as well as the appendix this time) plenty of photos of all over brown vans showing the luggage branding, so more transfers needed today to finish off the K18.  I glazed the other side this morning and added the couple look.  No  couplings on the outer end yet as it needs a batch of screw links soldering up.  Must remember to find that tail lamp later....

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Definitely the last post on the K18 (at least until the roof arrives).

I have added the missing Luggage transfers, along with adding the grab rails and door handles.  These were done using Comet parts, while the Mallard ones were a lot finer, they weren’t very well etched and were a pig to form. The Comet ones fitted really easily.  Oddly for a kit that was well

stocked with replacements for bits likely to disappear into the carpet (a huge tick from me!) they didn’t include any door handles, so these were also from Comet.

BE31E629-120A-4E61-924E-EA9E5CFB9A73.jpeg.0f464d5861bbb5dcf935a459dd04378f.jpeg

The window bars (Finney) were glued in place inside the door windows just after taking this photo.

This was followed by painting 5 more ground signals ready for installing tomorrow.   I did check the Down Branch starter yesterday, it needs a little work as the Dapol base plate fouls a point rodding run so needs cutting down.  (Naturally this means it needs testing first before destroying  the warranty.

finally some work on the wartime brown B Set.  The battery boxes are now relocated on both coaches, the first has new headstock and the second should gain them tomorrow.  I will likely once again borrow buffers from the TPO (which doesn’t need them until it’s painted).   

speaking of painting, I’m now wondering if there is a close automotive paint to GWR cream.  Having been satisfied with the mat camouflage brown / satin varnish combo on the K18...

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Definitely the last post on the K18 (at least until the roof arrives).

I have added the missing Luggage transfers, along with adding the grab rails and door handles.  These were done using Comet parts, while the Mallard ones were a lot finer, they weren’t very well etched and were a pig to form. The Comet ones fitted really easily.  Oddly for a kit that was well

stocked with replacements for bits likely to disappear into the carpet (a huge tick from me!) they didn’t include any door handles, so these were also from Comet.

BE31E629-120A-4E61-924E-EA9E5CFB9A73.jpeg.0f464d5861bbb5dcf935a459dd04378f.jpeg

The window bars (Finney) were glued in place inside the door windows just after taking this photo.

This was followed by painting 5 more ground signals ready for installing tomorrow.   I did check the Down Branch starter yesterday, it needs a little work as the Dapol base plate fouls a point rodding run so needs cutting down.  (Naturally this means it needs testing first before destroying  the warranty.

finally some work on the wartime brown B Set.  The battery boxes are now relocated on both coaches, the first has new headstock and the second should gain them tomorrow.  I will likely once again borrow buffers from the TPO (which doesn’t need them until it’s painted).   

speaking of painting, I’m now wondering if there is a close automotive paint to GWR cream.  Having been satisfied with the mat camouflage brown / satin varnish combo on the K18...

Ford Sahara Beige was my choice when I lived in the UK.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The incorrect battery box removed and relocated to the correct side. Missing equipment box added to the other side. Comet 

Buffers on the outer ends (and Dinghams). The inner ends need short buffers, so I reused the Hornby ones (with the rears files flat).  The heads on these are too small, it isn’t overly noticeable in the small gap between the pair, but they will get new heads next time I order with MJT.  

While the coach was apart the interior was painted and some passengers added.

The missing tie bar was added to the bogies from brass rod.

It still needs brake linkages adding along with a dynamo.

The Airfix body has been repainted into wartime brown based on a photo of the real Kingsbridge No 2 in a 1946 magazine.  The transfers for Kingsbridge No 2 were from Railtec and were not varnishes after fitting (they should have been!). I just noticed it’s missing numbers, so will have to get these on before it goes back outside to the layout.   It also has not Ahmad the extra guards window corrected, I think the Shawplan laser glaze includes a blank for this, which I intend to look into as the glazing is so poor.

I had originally hoped this would just be a stop gap until Hornby released a new one. But after the non corridor Collett stock the other year, I think the chance of a new model looks bleak.  

The biggest error on the coach is the door handles standing proud rather than recessed, fixing would be a total nightmare!C00A5F20-3EAF-4B22-96E0-039C251F2B53.jpeg.9ae18fc8d8de8bd5aff8f2363a63b6d6.jpegEFB63621-C81A-484E-B038-A9B35E5A9D62.jpeg.236baefbd6a6d847cf20d840ee5452ea.jpegl

BCB9B807-03C9-46BE-8497-3F30820B7E41.jpeg

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

I forgot to post these two images of the coupling arrangement on the E140s, I haven’t sorted the buffer size yet (and likely won’t until I detail the other pair)

5611C8BC-E6EB-4A8E-9B7B-1FC32E966D56.jpeg.735c12c01f099c4f79b8bc3506c34a2a.jpeg2D49A547-9156-415D-8E9A-EF9681741EF6.jpeg.740bca8b4695cd19f484a6961e26aabe.jpeg

they will get numbers tomorrow evening, as will a slope sided mineral wagon (repainted from the Bachmann club Chas Roberts branded example.  This will get MoT branding based on the images in the 4mm coal wagon I think.

other dull things on the bench this evening is an 18inch retaining wall for the path down to the Avon bridge which needs test fitting on the layout before I can start painting, and a load of 2ft diameter pipes which will end up on the Macaw H. Now painted in red oxide.

I’m now once again waiting on delivery for the next batch of projects, needing an MJT roof (the order also contains a metal crew for the 47xx), Hobby Holidays for flux and more NS wire for couplings and Treemendous for so Forrest floor and earth scenic base.  This will be used for the track and the surrounding area that needs covering in trees.

I think the next major stock project to hit the bench will be sorting out the parcels rake.  Which at present only consists of siphons of 4 varieties, a Monster and an LNER van. I need to build at least one full brake to mix it up, a reside of a spare Airfix B Set appeals. (But I’m waiting for Comet to get Markits back into stock before placing my next order.  As I need wheels for the 2252).

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1