Inspired by Brent June 1947

The Fatadder

• RMweb Gold

After juggling work and home-schooling yesterday normal service has resumed today, with some pre work modelling painting the retaining wall for the Avon footpath using various mixes of Vallejo paints.  This needs 24 hours to fully dry before applying the mortar wash, so tonight I will hopefully take it out to the garage and do a test fit.  That said given the weather is not forecast to get above freezing today, there is a high chance it is going to be far too cold to go out there!

Lunch saw some finishing work on a couple of projects, adding numbers to Kingsbridge Branch No.2 (6453/4) the article on GWR.org having the correct numbers for the set (which is lucky as its very hard to make them out from the photo I based the model on.)  The other pair of E140s I think I have already renumbered as 6968/6969 for Kingsbridge Branch No.1, which has been modelled in Hawksworth Chocolate & Cream.  I cant remember if I managed to find a photo confirming the livery on this set, but from a modelling perspective having on in wartime brown and one in choc & cream works rather well.

The other transfer work was around the 16t slope sided mineral that was resprayed at the weekend, the white stripe indicating the end door was added with the paint pen.  I tried adding the V for the floor doors with the same, but it ran really badly on the pressed steel door.  Transfers had to be cobbled together for this, I chose a M.W.T. example (there is a photo of it in 1947 in the 4mm Coal Wagon).  So the W and T came from NORWICH and the M from DEPARTMENTAL (both on the HMRS LNER wagon sheet, which also provided the number).  While the 1, 6 and Tons transfers came off the LMS wagon sheet.  Eventually once the rest of the mineral rake have been fitted with their new couplings the remaining NEM tensionlock will be removed.  For the moment it has both a tensionlock look and a wire loop at the non door end (I just realised that the body is on the wrong way round in the photo).

80535788-F251-4DE2-8AA6-ACF504254ECD.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

A small upgrade to the lighting in the workshop, switching to “daylight” LEDs 

8D6AC618-CBC6-4689-8D0F-CDAA4D655A5B.jpeg.9b4b3daf8e94320cf3a7087552d1e7d3.jpeg

I think colour reproduction has improved, (there’s not a lot I can do about the shadow on the back scene coming from the shelf above).

the pipe load for the Macaw is finished, I won’t lash this down as I want it to be removable ( else it would look odd returning from Kingsbridge with a full load)146BC42B-9FEB-4FAE-898F-7B571D055A3F.jpeg.a9dfa598b62f25be40a19ab79d485fd9.jpeg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I think I lasted all of five minutes before deciding that it was far too cold in the garage to wait for the room to heat up, so quickly checked the dimensions of the retaining wall (then trimmed to fit) and put the completed B Set on the track, before returning inside.   I have bought in the other B Set and a 4575 to continue working on.   A bit of an odd decision truth be told as I have yet to build the Kingsbridge fiddleyard, or fix the branch double slip motor, so there is no way to run this stock!

AC032DA6-51A4-4543-A98D-6B40B262B320.jpeg.ac4d6ed48369086274c2117ca70675fd.jpeg

Still it should be a quick job to correct the headstocks, move the battery boxes and renumbered the coaches.  Oddly for a Hawksworth liveries coach the Hornby model has third on the doors (I was under the impression this was only done on the end doors of a corridor coach by this time).  So these might all need removing as well.  

the 4575 made it to the bench this evening, the aim was a quick application of real coal then get Dinghams later in the week.  The latter is a bit of a pig due to the body fixings being right behind the coupling!  I think last time I went for a very short shafted coupling glued in place (rather than the L shape I used on the 42xx). Of course my complete 4500 is on the layout so I can’t check.

With the 4 planned 45xx I want each to have a different level of coal.  The first was a full load.  The rest all need the Bachmann load removing and false floors adding.  Of course this also means the removal of the cab front / roof to get access to the coal moulding.

with that done the bunker fairing and rear plate were separated from the coal

load and the latter glued back into place.  With the roof off it made sense to add a crew (using some old Hornby figures) which needed painting before gluing in place). I also took advantage of having the roof off to pick out the pipes /dials on the backhead in appropriate colours. 

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

When you are waiting for deliveries, why is it always the parcel which you need last which arrives first?

I now have the Treemendous earth powder (which I plan to use around the river bank and for the track between Vicarage Road and the Avon bridge), along with under the arches on the bridge.  The order also contained a bag of their forest floor, which will form the basis for the area to the left of the river.    Of course with the weather being so cold the last thing I want to be doing is gluing stuff down, so it will have to wait until next week when the weather improves.

I have finished painting the retaining wall, so that  is now ready to be glued in place.  I think the track will then need a little plaster work (I am tempted to add a couple of puddles while im at it).

The pre work / lunch time modelling as been focused around couplings, with another 3 pairs of Dinghams soldered up and installed on a couple of vans plus the 4575.  The latter has also now been coaled up, so just needs some weathering this evening to finish off.  Fitting the couplings were a real pig on this as the retaining screws are right where the coupling shaft needs to go.   The solution was first to file down the height of the shaft to match that of the hole, then to solder some waste fret onto the side getting a square section which was close to the holes width.  It could then be superglued in place, I tried to get the size to be fractionally tapered to get a bit of an interference fit as well as the glue.  Thankfully as a branch loco it doesnt need to shift a large load.

24110DD7-798C-4AD4-AFC5-6470E8AB66A1.jpeg.2080078fffb104fd6e80ddae7cdfccfd.jpeg

After fitting crew to this loco, I figured I ought to get some better quality figures to sort out a few more (in addition to the Dart Castings set that is en route for 4707.

Seeing mention of the GWR Modellers group of the Hardies Hobbies range of 3d printed figures I ended up ordering one of their bulk packs (4 locos worth) for £18 (along with a 3d printed Labrador to attempt to model my dog!)   So once these arrive I will finish off the next handfull of locos.  Top of the list will be the Star and Bulldog given both are open cabed) along with Berkeley Castle. 

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

When you are waiting for deliveries, why is it always the parcel which you need last which arrives first?

I now have the Treemendous earth powder (which I plan to use around the river bank and for the track between Vicarage Road and the Avon bridge), along with under the arches on the bridge.  The order also contained a bag of their forest floor, which will form the basis for the area to the left of the river.    Of course with the weather being so cold the last thing I want to be doing is gluing stuff down, so it will have to wait until next week when the weather improves.

I have finished painting the retaining wall, so that  is now ready to be glued in place.  I think the track will then need a little plaster work (I am tempted to add a couple of puddles while im at it).

The pre work / lunch time modelling as been focused around couplings, with another 3 pairs of Dinghams soldered up and installed on a couple of vans plus the 4575.  The latter has also now been coaled up, so just needs some weathering this evening to finish off.  Fitting the couplings were a real pig on this as the retaining screws are right where the coupling shaft needs to go.   The solution was first to file down the height of the shaft to match that of the hole, then to solder some waste fret onto the side getting a square section which was close to the holes width.  It could then be superglued in place, I tried to get the size to be fractionally tapered to get a bit of an interference fit as well as the glue.  Thankfully as a branch loco it doesnt need to shift a large load.

24110DD7-798C-4AD4-AFC5-6470E8AB66A1.jpeg.2080078fffb104fd6e80ddae7cdfccfd.jpeg

After fitting crew to this loco, I figured I ought to get some better quality figures to sort out a few more (in addition to the Dart Castings set that is en route for 4707.

Seeing mention of the GWR Modellers group of the Hardies Hobbies range of 3d printed figures I ended up ordering one of their bulk packs (4 locos worth) for £18 (along with a 3d printed Labrador to attempt to model my dog!)   So once these arrive I will finish off the next handfull of locos.  Top of the list will be the Star and Bulldog given both are open cabed) along with Berkeley Castle. 

Morning Rich,

Interesting to see you saying about ordering crew from Harry’s Hobbies, I’ve just looked at the website and they appear to be quite good. I will be interested in your thoughts when they arrive and to see how they paint up.

The bulk pack looks to be good value and will offer some variety .

Thanks Neal.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

Morning Rich,

Interesting to see you saying about ordering crew from Harry’s Hobbies, I’ve just looked at the website and they appear to be quite good. I will be interested in your thoughts when they arrive and to see how they paint up.

The bulk pack looks to be good value and will offer some variety .

Thanks Neal.

I saw a post about them on Facebook and had a look, The photos on their website look pretty good and as you say they are really good value.  I'm not expecting ModelU standards, but at about half the price theres a big saving to had.  My logic is that even if they are not quite good enough for a loco with high visibility of the crew, there are enough tank engines  or 4000 gl tender engines in my fleet where visibility is much more limited.  I currently have 30 odd locos which need crews, even with the cheaper figures thats still over £130! so any savings are definitely going to be welcome (and its going to be a long process getting them all sorted).   

My main reason for going to them was spotting that they do a print of a 4mm Labrador so that I can model the dog.   

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Changing the subject almost completely but how many times do you see photos of Brent when you are not looking for them? I found four dated 1947 in "GWR Switch and practice", of course mainly in connection with permanent way matters but may be of interest if you haven't seen them, especially the cattle dock area/yard and the slips .

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Stephen Freeman said:

Changing the subject almost completely but how many times do you see photos of Brent when you are not looking for them? I found four dated 1947 in "GWR Switch and practice", of course mainly in connection with permanent way matters but may be of interest if you haven't seen them, especially the cattle dock area/yard and the slips .

I do like it when I find a photo of Brent in a random source, thought I dont have that particular book those areas are definitely less common photo wise.   (The least photographed view is towards the bridge at the London end  prior to the new bridge being installed).

I found a couple of images at Brent in Russell the other day, most annoying in that they were tightly cropped to the coach (if i remember rightly) meaning you dont get to see the useful details!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Speaking of photos of Brent, while trying to find a copy of said book I had a quick look on the GW Study Groups website to see if they still had it listed.   While searching through the site I spotted two articles on Brent listed in the Pannier, one on the station and one on coaching stock. Now seriously thinking about joining so that I can get a copy...

• Like 3

You should join! We’re a friendly bunch and we have a lively email discussion group that means your questions often get quick and intelligent answers. The annual members day is also great fun in Didcot (unfortunately not at the railway centre though) -ir is when we’re allowed to hold it.  A steal at £18 a year....

Duncan

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

some more wagon work last night, mostly Dingham fitting:

a pair of Toads (one Hornby and one Oxford Rail).  Both needed a thinned and shortened shaft, while the latter needed more work on the drilling796A8522-0F34-43C3-89DB-75CD43BE477F.jpeg.0cebb2711d3ec722575782f1f86bea75.jpeg

Parkside Fruit D

8561F1F8-536D-4864-A3FB-B95488D72AB5.jpeg.cf5d06996de62090ef1e426431c7ce21.jpeg

Hornby LNER van, this needed the NEM pockets chopping off (which revels a convenient  void for the coupler shaft to fit)

406C2E63-9C60-4787-A262-A8847E90C3F9.jpeg.8d4f5a63502610b11e7a52755134f3ac.jpeg

Finishing off a Ratio Iron Mink as an improvised gunpowder van.   The new door was added from plasticard, then painted.  The red cross needs another coat as the paint coverage wasn’t great, then it can have transfers adding.  I have 3 Ratio minks in the works, one with an MRD roof and planked doors and one as built in addition to this one.
D7192353-9774-4A54-A1FF-E161875F69B3.jpeg.8eb0e7849232dd3068a7827298bd29cf.jpeg

Finally I started work on some trees with a woodland scenics kit.  I wasn’t overly impressed with the material for the leafs, so I’ve done half as per the kit and half with rubberised horse hair which will get a coat of varnish and an application of various green scene materials.   I am thinking about adding the same over the woodland scenics foliage as well.   
I started applying the foliage / horsehair with pva, but it wasn’t drying quickly enough so I switched to superglue.   This morning I have been trimming the horsehair to get it looking a lot less messy!  So it’s now ready to start applying foliage.

E8DCC97B-E540-4641-83FE-436DA74A30DD.jpeg

9AB6F9F8-38EC-4BBD-830A-5A5D76F6C3A2.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I have a feeling I am in trouble as upstairs rather smells of varnish, hopefully it will have dissipated by the end of the rugby...

In each case the I was spaying a couple of branches with varnish then coating on a couple of colours of foliage from Greenscene.  

CF7736AA-3AF3-4516-9451-4D460919F2FB.jpeg.9ab7212ce03e1b9ae147d7e32d309045.jpeg517E4EF5-9FB4-4D6E-914D-99FA5391C3AE.jpeg.3f283e297c77afa859b41806e0885171.jpegF9E0B797-8374-4DF0-BCE1-3AD45109D8A0.jpeg.260654fec06539316eaafd71e8a835b6.jpegC661A47F-1F88-4CCF-B2E8-A0952ADEA554.jpeg.fff39eef783b047d5dc058d096064eea.jpeg

the 3 trees made purely with the Woodland scenics foliage I am less sure about.  On the left is the standard tree and on the right after applying the same mix of Greenscene.

5FFFA0CC-B119-47C1-8247-F4D79934E7D6.jpeg.4c3b36f8f4987ea953f97efc27195f3c.jpeg

welcome peoples opinion on these as I am debating ripping it off and starting again with the horse hair, or applying another green scene product ( the foliage on the find mesh)

I won’t do any more tree stuff until Monday when the wife has gone to work.  If I apply it before work the smell should have cleared before she gets home!

Moving on, thanks to Hobby Holidays quick turn around I now have flux so can get on with the Dingham building.    I have managed a little more on the house between vicarage road and the Avon. Which has now been glazed and has a core for the roof fitted.  Just needs roof tiles and end boards.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Was the Woodland Scenics stuff their 'clump foliage'?  If so I've found that better for background trees - it's a little coarse and, er, clumpy.  Their 'Fine Leaf Foliage' is a much better (finer) product, but not at all cheap when doing a lot of trees.  I found their Hob-e-Tack adhesive ideal for it.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, checkrail said:

Was the Woodland Scenics stuff their 'clump foliage'?  If so I've found that better for background trees - it's a little coarse and, er, clumpy.  Their 'Fine Leaf Foliage' is a much better (finer) product, but not at all cheap when doing a lot of trees.  I found their Hob-e-Tack adhesive ideal for it.

Yea it was the clump stuff. I did think about it for the rear of the layout, did you use it for  that?

This is a close up of the ‘improved’ clump foliage.

My 7 year old needs to make a diorama of an African savanna habitat over half term. So I’m looking at giving her most of the dark green to use making a tree for that.

2D76340E-3EE2-4F58-9300-95BAB54722F8.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

76F0271F-E100-4BA2-86B0-CE94C1EB553D.jpeg.f18ac873640233128097c3192df6f551.jpeg

ive had a go at making my own roof tiles to finish off the roof.  I drew them up as 2ft by 1ft tiles from memory before checking the prototype dimensions.  Thankfully it is a prototypical option, though I don’t know if the smaller tiles are needed for the station...

I might give it a try on the silhouette next time.

Just now, St Enodoc said:

You could claim that it's floor or furniture polish...

Or spray perfume everywhere and blame the children...

smell has gone from the rest of the house now at least, though the modelling room is still smelling of varnish!

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Pushing on the the scenics at the Plymouth end of the layout.

first up the house on Vicarage Road, this has had the roof painted along with the guttering / end boards adding. The latter were painted in colour having looked at period photos and seen how much colour there was on houses.   I now need to work out the perimeter of its garden, and decide if it should have the whole triangle between house, path and railway.   It will need the obligatory veg patch, and an Anderson shelter.  There will also be a tree or two towards the railway.

36A2D20D-6E5A-4B57-8D46-7EB83E978726.jpeg.334f010a496b7386dcac82359b164271.jpeg

the retaining wall has been glued into position, and the path built up

with plaster (along with blending the wall and path together.)

DDB99030-5090-4519-AFC1-29DDE999C6B6.jpeg.db1f622b4fc4e3d4c74edd75dc1a2431.jpeg

75C14461-DF94-4D1C-A277-B4441E246D08.jpeg.4c5dd6a6a30177a5753dd85a2fe68e2a.jpeg

Edging ever closer to adding some real colour to the hills.  The light grey ballast has been weathered from the Plymouth fiddleyard to the 1361.   It needs to be finished up to the bridge before I can move onto the grass.  The path will need laying and also the  remaining lengths of the cess need adding.  I will need to do something  about the big black rectangle on the Dapol signals as well. 

Moving on to the trees, I have tested them in the originally planned location to the west of the river.  Only to decide it doesn’t fit the modifications I’ve made to the terrain.  It doesn’t work with the retaining wall to the left of the river (added due to a cock up in baseboard building).  
07853BD6-6439-4F3B-B93A-58F10774EBAE.jpeg.973d998f9dd9368b9ad95cc4ec8303a8.jpeg

there would still be trees on the right bank as per the prototype.

instead I’m moving to something more like this8FC1C6FB-4C1A-45B6-9D51-F7F2C517F4F5.jpeg.331c0a2be64afa74462fd8ba7bc93a8b.jpeg

the trees need cutting into the plaster to straighten up, another one or two are needed in the foreground on the left bank and several more on the right (as well as one or two above the right hand retaining wall.  There will also be smaller bushes between trees and river, and a general covering of forrest floor.  

the trees help hide a gap that opened up between the two half’s of the bridge (which moved slightly apart after gluing in place).  I had planned to add ivy as per 2016 but now may just leave it as the tree hides it so well. 

a couple of prototype pics:

285A7049-DBD7-41EA-988C-5B322FFA089B.jpeg

21DE85A0-22DB-4CDB-9C9C-6DD32918B346.jpeg

6188CF46-BA8F-41AE-A53A-B348D53B111B.jpeg

269FDC1D-9E04-4713-B2BA-8F18EEED8010.jpeg

9876C93D-D792-4FBB-AD9B-E5ECB412F1B6.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

I like the second shot with the loco just peeking behind the embankment.  Perhaps, if the lens was lower still and pointing up, you’d get the impression of being on the path, hearing a whistle and looking up to be rewarded by a splash of green, brass, bronze and chocolate and cream thundering past.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Track weathering, I am following a few period photos from Brent which show the area between the tracks more brown, while the cess is light grey (and not visible clearly in this photo). Still not entirely sure I’m happy with the colours though.

this is the effect I am aiming for

5BC7A650-50CF-4135-BC48-E0674CCA9E1C.jpeg.222b4ffd49302328c517a7adc84ee846.jpeg

13C3933F-3773-4526-9932-72C8767746FD.jpeg.c3fd33f9b0996d0f894d681e935b9f06.jpeg

and this is the current state (another length of the cess was added after taking the photo.)

It also shows off the issue with the gap between the sections of the bridge. Thankfully this area is so overgrown you can hardly see through the middle arch, so trees and bushes will obscure both the gap and the inside of the arch.  No such luck with the right hand arch though, which needs the dirt track adding (which will be awkward to access)

The plan for the rest of February:

Add the cess to the first 8ft,

Add surface to vicarage road 

This will allow for adding the grass to the rear two banks.

Add near side cess

Fix V cut alongside vicarage road bridge (cut when fitting the stonework.  It needs a sausage or plaster adding and then blending in 

Add the mud track surface 

Decide on the boundary for the house 

This will allow adding grass to the near to hills.

I will also need to wire in the first 3 points which are located in this area.  Given that the plastic bases need to be hidden.  Must go and have a look on Henley and Stoke Courtney as to how they have managed this with the Dapol signals.

i have also managed a little wagon work on a Ratio improvised Iron Mink.  As well as the scratch built door, I have used Fox transfers for the GPV and gunpowder van lettering, and HMRS for the GW bits.  Just need to wait on an order from Railtec, as I have used their custom Toad lettering to get the Improvised transfer.  The wagon currently has an odd finish with some bits mat from painting and others glossed with Klear as a base for the transfers.  Once the Railtec ones are on it will get a coat of mat varnish84749CEA-B7C8-4743-8861-74FEBBC02C28.jpeg.fdc7b90f2e881a8693924d37eece90f7.jpeg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

A parcel has arrived with some of Hardy’s Hobbies figures.

Bulk pack of drivers

CD0F3606-DEE9-428A-94B4-49A9C6CBD958.jpeg.2c9641cf2794fc1418baf5ea5f0a03e9.jpeg71CFB058-27DE-4B8C-961D-AAAC8F80F41B.jpeg.7b4fc622d5dac45b6a826b335f1b9fbf.jpeg

and the all important labrador, it will have to be the one lying down as the other is too long legged for my short dog!

Painting will start this evening as I really want to get some crew into Berkeley Castle and get the loco back onto the layout.  The dogs will get painted and put away until the layout is ready for the addition of figures.  

1D6E2EA5-3B0D-4C3D-AE24-E66C2D77AC7E.jpeg

• Like 9