Inspired by Brent June 1947

The Fatadder

• RMweb Gold

Out in the garage until midnight last night, having lost track of time working on “Kingsbridge”.   Photos will follow later once I have been able to take some as the main reason I came in was that my battery died!

I have now finished adding the remaining rails to the next point, including the tie bar.  Testing worked perfectly so it’s now waiting for a Tortoise motor when I finally get some sourced at the right price...  

The next point has had a vee soldered in place along with the outer rails.  I think I should have one more pair of switch rails from the old failed double slip, but struggling to remember where they were put so tonight I will knock up another pair and add the remaining rail.  

two more lengths of flex track have been glued in place, adding the section between the crossover and the end of the platform and the headshunt / carriage storage siding (which runs closer than I would like to the main fiddleyard...). That leaves just one more length of flex track to install along with the double slip.

For the slip a decision needs to be made about the rail material.  There is a real mismatch of metals in use so far, with stainless steel flex track and C&L high nickel nickel silver rail on the first 4 points.  I have now ran out of the latter and just have a bunch of standard steel rail left (with a bit of surface rust to clean up).   Not overly keen on soldering a bunch of steel rail, but needs must I guess.  

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

After loading the car with the first batch of junk to take to the tip tomorrow, there is a lot more room to move in the garage.

Not a lot more progress on the pseudo Kingsbridge, other than finding two more lengths of NS rail (hopefully enough to do the slip), preparing the extra plastic sleepers for the slip and gluing down the penultimate length of flex track. 
I would have finished the second half of the crossover at the terminus end, but it involves having to file switch blades so was delayed...

75CE0318-2A26-4BA9-9FBF-E59D45B81E95.jpeg

52AC9E5E-9383-4FED-BD68-7FBBD885F202.jpeg

10502B67-13F4-496B-9A68-2F383805F584.jpeg

9FE384A0-0695-4375-B113-DC81C7253BAF.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

After a delivery from Derails yesterday, at lunch today I upgraded the last of the Dapol signals for Brent, a square post for the down platform starter. 
As per the other square post signals I followed @checkrails guide, removing the ribs, ‘ear’ and adding a safety cage.  At some point it will be retrofitted with the balance weight at the bottom of the post (once I source some more).

with that done it was straight out to the layout to get it installed, including ballasting it in.

this just leaves one more signal to add, a very short square post located under the Station Road bridge.  This will need to be built from parts and motorised.  I also need to add a motor to one arm of the branch starter, I had planed to fashion a linkage to a Cobolt point motor under the board.  But now I’m thinking maybe memory wire would be a better bet (freeing the motor up to use on a Kingsbridge point.)

I have also managed to get a set of etched to complete my TPO, with a set of Bill Bedford sides for the L25 (to go with the comet floor and MJT roof I already have.) looking forward to getting hold of it.  This does mean my LMS example will now go to eBay. In order to recoup some funds.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

As well as installing the signal, I also finished off the point on “Kingsbridge” so it will now be time to start on the slip (which needs reprinting as for some reason Templot always seems to blank out key bits of templates with text that I don’t care about but can’t remember how to hide).

AAE71286-9069-404F-B5AC-DE3A78DECBED.jpeg.88a5bbe2de660a2a75caaab5110e3afc.jpeg

the next task at this end is to get on with the platform, though it’s still waiting on sourcing some embossed sheet.

AEF1DFD7-4ACF-44F6-9D3F-A4E387BC8959.jpeg.e6b596b5fa5e084c67bc5e4e481153ad.jpeg

the other end of the layout is still a lot less developed. Need to work out a plan for that bridge...

one thing that I’ve probably been told before but can’t remember is how the branch starter signal works.  Is the tall one on the left controlling the connection through the slip to the up main and the lower one on the right the branch?

58C6F64D-880C-4D6B-A91E-34F8515585B1.jpeg.41d0bf6cd81ad27ae895829d068dee05.jpeg

amazing how much space is needed to model such a small station, the nearest of the two coaches marks the end of the platform (which will hold a 4 coach train) while between the two sidings a decent amount of freight can be fitted.  The only thing I couldn’t fit in was an engine shed (at least not without sacrificing the goods shed siding).
I think I’ve now worked out the point rodding, so will mark that up tomorrow

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

After a delivery from Derails yesterday, at lunch today I upgraded the last of the Dapol signals for Brent, a square post for the down platform starter. 
As per the other square post signals I followed @checkrails guide, removing the ribs, ‘ear’ and adding a safety cage.  At some point it will be retrofitted with the balance weight at the bottom of the post (once I source some more).

with that done it was straight out to the layout to get it installed, including ballasting it in.

this just leaves one more signal to add, a very short square post located under the Station Road bridge.  This will need to be built from parts and motorised.  I also need to add a motor to one arm of the branch starter, I had planed to fashion a linkage to a Cobolt point motor under the board.  But now I’m thinking maybe memory wire would be a better bet (freeing the motor up to use on a Kingsbridge point.)

I have also managed to get a set of etched to complete my TPO, with a set of Bill Bedford sides for the L25 (to go with the comet floor and MJT roof I already have.) looking forward to getting hold of it.  This does mean my LMS example will now go to eBay. In order to recoup some funds.

Memory wire would be good if you can get any. I haven't enough to spare I'm afraid.

How about using a standard Dapol signal but burying some of it below baseboard level, then adjusting the ladder, weight bars, etc?

• RMweb Gold

An hours modelling while the children enjoyed a film (before the manicness of the Easter Holidays returns)

so I have been working on finishing off my WD Austerity (which is having the Swindon modifications removed having confirmed they are 1948 onwards).

So it has been fitted with a new chimney, snifter valve, smoke box dart and topfeed using the Dave Bradwell castings (and I am trying to decide if I should also replace the dome)236A7258-019E-43B8-A97B-9B2464AC70CB.jpeg.b2ba5124208cca692ff0679674966f79.jpeg

original vs the Dave Bradwell casting (which hasn’t been tidied up yet).  The latter appears to have more of a radius on the corners.

28A4960C-63A3-4663-9078-411E581CD33C.jpeg.d1ff981258e239503170d01986ed5a31.jpeg

the first parts glued in place (along with some wire to complete the lower section)3680E1E7-3A8B-4D84-86D2-69D2BA0FB694.jpeg.c7f7150543b2b8acdd3f3d78a9aca75d.jpeg

after a quick coat of mat black, the holes in the footplate from the fire iron tunnel need another application of filler.

I will also need to add the fire iron rack onto the tender 

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

7A9E4168-65C1-46DA-B12D-44FC36849630.jpeg.77427ad6df2d202df64ea08e7ab61193.jpeg

I should also have included this photo with a comparison of the chimneys, I think the casting is a definite improvement.   While I think with the dome I will stick with the Bachmann one.  Weathering will start tomorrow, though it’s a project I am a little nervous about doing as I think it needs to be dirtier than my previous work. (And will likely need some new techniques)

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I have soldered up a fire iron rack from some scrap brass and glued into position on the tender.  A simple modification that makes a huge difference (one that Bachmann really should have done themselves!)  the shiny patch from the removed BR logo will be obscured once varnished.31974D30-34CB-48FC-8AEF-C21C3B912581.jpeg.c49656d31169710ecc6695d80568e106.jpeg

The final job prior to weathering is the lamp irons (moulded blobs on the tender).  I am assuming that the GWR would have modified the locos with GW pattern lamp irons when they were inspected at Swindon prior to entering service, so as not to have to keep a stock of non standard lamps to hand.  So I will need to change the irons on the front as well as replacing the moulded lumps on the tender...

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Between coats of weathering on the austerity (more on which later), I have made a start on the Bill Bedford L25 which will finish my TPO

CBD702A5-DFDA-4649-BC8C-E8C519AEBE54.jpeg.fb7faffaa13133ae450668245f852a94.jpeg

the parts were a better fit than on the old Hammond etched, so the basic sides / door assembly fell together.  The roof needs drilling for roof vents before it can be glued in place (so I need the Dremel Back from the garage).  

Then it needs a chassis.  I have a pair of Hornby Hawksworth coaches in non prototypical liveries which were picked up cheap (or as part of job lots to get prototypical ones).  I had planed to fit the L25 body to a Comet chassis (which needs  shortening by 4mm as I think it is for a 64ft Hawksworth (or 60/61 Collett).  Along with building a set of comet bogies and sourcing castings etc.   But now I am thinking about those spare Hawksworth coaches, one will likely get redone with Comet slides to get a second third for the Riviera.  But the other (a BCK) I am going to investigate fitting under the TPO. C0C24BA2-8C43-468B-806C-AA5BC94F4F0B.jpeg.c8741b2e15d49e9eca39e1f4c20e30ec.jpeg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

A little more work on the WD while dinner cooks, several applications of weathering powders as it’s nearly done.  Of course it still needs a crew and lamps, as well as a Dingham on the rear (the latter will be sorted later on so at least it can return to the layout.)ABF47A5D-0460-4707-A1F2-58D3DB91E039.jpeg.9c08501892a65d7cdcf41ce102a05211.jpeg0C9FDFED-4006-495A-B44B-767277CD1879.jpeg.5ffefb5c4b2a2b52c263e2e7dc4dcd46.jpeg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

More progress on the TPO, the Hornby chassis was a bit of a pain to fit, mostly due to its thickness fouling the recessed doors.  I had to file the ends flat to match the flat end profile of the TPO (I had never realised that Hawksworth passenger stock had angled ends).

the chassis needs a lot of tidying where I removed the original steps, new steps adding and couplings (making a note to double check the orientation with the rest of the rake!)

6EE3A9E3-9168-479C-BDF8-95B47E095C19.jpeg

5BEDF35B-8FA2-4189-AE2D-A04D839C0986.jpeg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Siberian Snooper said:

The Dub Dee is looking good.

Thanks, it is a job that I have been meaning to get on with for a very long time, made even longer by Royal Mail losing the castings.  I didnt want to start the weathering process until I had confirmed one way or another about the Swindonisation features, so having finally  verified the data of re  build last year its nice to have finally gotten on with it.

I think black locos in particular just dont look right in a clean condition, particularly for 1947!  

The L25 has now been fitted with the etched letterboxes, roof vents and a minor repair to one end of the roof where somehow I didnt cut straight (despite using my cutting box).  It has just had a scrub is kitchen cleaner and once dry will get a coat of etch primer at lunch. Guess I should get another packet of HMRS GWR lining ordered so that I can finish it off once painted over the next week.  (I wish they did the loco and coach lining in separate packs!)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

More progress on the TPO, the Hornby chassis was a bit of a pain to fit, mostly due to its thickness fouling the recessed doors.  I had to file the ends flat to match the flat end profile of the TPO (I had never realised that Hawksworth passenger stock had angled ends).

the chassis needs a lot of tidying where I removed the original steps, new steps adding and couplings (making a note to double check the orientation with the rest of the rake!)

6EE3A9E3-9168-479C-BDF8-95B47E095C19.jpeg

5BEDF35B-8FA2-4189-AE2D-A04D839C0986.jpeg

Fascinating history of the TPO vehicles on your Facebook post Rich. Thanks for the information.

Im looking forward to seeing the full rake running through Brent.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

77289 has now been returned to the layout, taking the place of 4855 on the up goods (which in turn has taken over from the 28xx on the down mineral).  On the latter there is a slight issue in that I haven’t built an end wagon with Dingham coupling.  Need to buy w couple more wagons....

the L25 has now been sprayed with etch primer, so is ready to spray the cream.  (I have just picked up some more Halfords camo brown ready to go.)   I have made up a batch of flexible corridor connections ready to fit to the rest of the TPO (but forgot to take them out his morning).

F788458B-BEC0-42C8-8837-C72961E9947B.jpeg

6B80E565-F57B-467E-84DA-72779150F1E2.jpeg

16C3DF86-03DD-4E36-8B3C-E89F21467482.jpeg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

The remaining Tortoise motors for the fiddleyard (along with the first motors for the Wheal Imogen expansion) were sourced on Sunday night, so the plan for this evening is that I will get started on the double slip (actually the plan is to get the vee's made at lunch time.  Ideally I would like to get the track fully working this week.  I also have another tin of Halfords camo brown (which oddly I have found serves rather well both as a track colour out of the can, or with a satin varnish as GWR chocolate...) 

As soon as the track is painted the plan is to get it all fully painted, at which point the fiddleyard can be restocked and the branch finally tested, running some trains from Brent to "Kingsbridge".

Once that is out the way, attention can return to the main layout.  I want to get the platform surface finished on the bay platform.  to do so will also require a build of the down waiting room (So I think that will be next on the hit list.)

In the mean time at lunch today the L25 was sprayed in GWR cream, and will receive a coat of brown tomorrow.  Perfect spraying conditions,  so I look forward to getting the brown sprayed (and getting some transfers sourced)

BCD9AF46-D058-4A6B-A100-117DDBD0B2F7.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

After a bit of a disaster trying to sort out Wheal Imogen last night, I switched to working on the double slip.  (Because of course what you really need after the disappointment of damaging a layout is to work on a double slip...)

fortunately things went a little better,  the two vees have been formed and the first of them soldered into position. Next up will be forming the first set of switch blades...

I also sprayed the L25 brown, irritatingly the final bit of masking tape applied was slightly in the wrong place going over the line.  This will have to be touched in later on (and will also be blended slightly more once the lining is on.)

Will be good to get the main transfers on later today (including my last set of Royal Mail transfers).

11133EE9-04C7-4748-B721-E242967E61A2.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I have now managed to complete half of the double slip, the other half wil follow over the weekend hopefully.  I have tested the first half of the slip with a wagon, which passed, so hopefully this one will work first time...

C664C1D3-CFAF-4334-A7E9-6605201C8240.jpeg.73535aa7b56df4c4c7a17e4a314b8104.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Components for the other side of the slip have been fabricated over lunch, and are now sat awaiting soldering to the PCB sleepers (probably tomorrow's job).  One thing I did notice while I was filing the blades is that none of the points currently have check rails, I always try to test without them fitted given if a point works without them good running should ensue.  Edging ever closer to being able to run some trains again...

With that out the way I think the next job is to finish off the TPO, so this evening I think I will try and  get a pack of HMRS GWR lining ordered (along with some buffers).  In order that the rake can be finished off, after which I think I am going to finally get on and order a set of Worsley etches for a Dreadnought brake third.

Edit: oops, they only have methfix, HMRS lining seems impossible to find.  So if anyone has 3 lines going spare please let me know...

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 6