Inspired by Brent June 1947

The Fatadder

• RMweb Gold

More testing last night, this was both the first test of the mineral train and the first time running two trains simultaneously.  

As usual there were a couple of tweaks needed, the salt van wheels had too large flanges and were causing issues on points (but an easy fix) along with a couple of required tweaks to po wagon couplings.  

with this done it was possible to get complete circuits with both sets.

0CCD2EB1-2521-4D54-81F6-FA24CCF23190.jpeg.a88aa02fee11acd6da70953c14f01845.jpeg

5D40F524-C8A3-4E0F-9AD0-706D2042D620.jpeg.d1c8bd9e50feb6df87033cd6e4981850.jpeg01070E7A-06DE-409D-9609-1D02F4F1F7E3.jpeg.b45384f7b2c17c9c509825b5f1a3292a.jpeg

progress has also been made on the scenics to the east of Brent.  I don’t have any proper plaster bandage, so have made do soaking normal bandages in plaster.

this still needs to be finished off with another coat of fine plaster to blend it all together, but it’s getting there.   The south side of the cutting still needs covering, but this is deliberately omitted to ensure I don’t start the grass application before completing the north bank.

4A3E602B-5F0E-4BA4-92F3-40E0D053902D.jpeg.4f18fbc3dec856c04096b7bf05e2bb5b.jpeg

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

A little more this evening before I ran out of plaster, tidying up the slope from earlier and adding the backscene board.  I have another yard of the photo backscene which will be added once the bulk of the plastering is done.  Hopefully it stays on the wood better than it has on the wall…

there is an added benefit of getting this fitted, in that it will hopefully prevent the wind disturbing the layout.  4A7CE8D0-C462-486C-B025-57D452068D53.jpeg.c88d1daa90ccc9ed13f37757decc155f.jpeg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

I don’t have any proper plaster bandage, so have made do soaking normal bandages in plaster.

A bit late for this round but over here a lot of folk use Chux towels, or J-Cloths up your way, soaked in plaster for this job (other brands are available).

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ve just ordered some proper plaster bandages for the next batch of work, but will keep that in mind for the future as I’m fairly sure I won’t have enough once I get started on Kingsbridge.

I have also ended up with another impulse purchase for the winter, in a Falcon Brassworks kit for a curved frame Bulldog.  It is from their more recent etched only range and was purchased really to give a chassis under the white metal body I had bought previously.   Then I looked closer at what I’d purchase and saw it was a curved frame, and now I’m getting tempted to source the missing castings (Brassmasters for the most part) as I really rather fancy a curved frame Bulldog…..

In the end I think the determining factor will be how well (or otherwise) I get on with the kit…

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I have a falcon brass curved framed Bulldog and the footplate/running plate is a right swine (other words are available) to get right, with the overlays, me and a couple of club members have done battle with it and failed, it remains in the box mouldering, until I summon up the courage to have another go.  I succumbed to the Martin Finney kit which is in the to do pile.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I have a falcon brass curved framed Bulldog and the footplate/running plate is a right swine (other words are available) to get right, with the overlays, me and a couple of club members have done battle with it and failed, it remains in the box mouldering, until I summon up the courage to have another go.  I succumbed to the Martin Finney kit which is in the to do pile.

Fair enough, in that case I’m not too worried about building it.  The rest of the etched can go in the scrap box for potential future use.   I’ve also read in the Falcon thread that while the packaging says it includes a tender, it doesn’t actually.

at the end of the day it was purchased the etched purely with the chassis in mind (and bid accordingly) so anything else that’s useable will be a bonus 

A Finney curved frame bulldog has long been on my wish list…

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I have been having a lot of issues with the DCC set up, I use a ten year old Powercab (which has never been updated) to control the layout and a variaty of different brand's dedcoders (mostly either Lenz Gold or a small Zimo).  All locos have previously tested as working, however after a year or so without running I am finding lots of odd issues.  Naturally the track and wheels have all had a good clean, so that can be excluded as a cause.  The issue is that a handful of locos are unresponsive to the Powercab's commands, yet it will still talk to the decoder on the programming track.  On at least two locos it will programme, but throws up errors on some CVs.   The Powercab has long experienced issues (the screen regularly will light up segments that shouldnt be, so for example you turn it on and it will saw FWD for direction.  As soon as you change the speed this section of the screen goes black, but the rest of the screen is fine.  Speaking to knowledgeable friends we think the issue sits with the controller rather than the locos, so I have ordered an upgrade chip from South Coast Digital which will hopefully resolve it.

Other than that I am now stuck waiting on deliveries, with a need for more modroc from Amazon (should have arrived yesterday but no sign yet), more plasticard (before I can progress with the remaining buildings) and of course the goods shed.  Right now I think the most important task will be getting the plaster work complete before the onset of winter.

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

Today I received the new chip for the Powercab, nice and easy to install and a massive improvement being able to read the screen again.

it seems to have solved some, but not all of my DCC issues.  Locos which were not working before (King Richard, 5798 and my modified Hall) all are now reprogrammed and working.

the 42xx still refuses to talk to the decoder which I fear may be dead, while the 72xx will talk to the decoder, allows full reprogramming but won’t move.   Both were  stripped down over the winter when fitting the Brassmasters bits and haven’t been used since, so it is possible I’ve dislodged a wire (I hope I haven’t damaged the chips).  They will now rejoin the queue for attention inside.

the second end plate has now been added to the door end of the fiddleyard, so it’s just the lift kit section which needs a backscene adding now.  I haven’t quite worked out how I will do this, as my fear is that adding more weight to the lifting section will effect the hinges.  One option would be adding a plastic panel rather than plywood.

the modroc also arrived, so I am planning to get on with the plastering l this evening once I’ve picked my eldest up from Brownies.    I ought to take the Dean Goods out for a run as well…

F8512E8A-4E31-4B2E-8FD5-3A0D1938C550.jpeg
5798 shunts the yard having just arrived from Newton Abbot with a local freight

BF19072B-6C37-4380-BF5F-26C75EB7515F.jpeg
Having only just entered service in October 47, the first modified Hall with Hawksworth tender is still looking pristine as it steams towards Brent with a Paddington bound parcels train 

25D79061-9CAB-4F3A-BF03-D6C813C124D5.jpeg
Unfortunately Swindon appear to have forgotten to fit a front coupling  

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 11
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

After an evenings work, the hills east of Brent are starting to come together.  On the down side of the six 9ft by 6 inch rolls of modroc, I’ve used 5 of them already.

it still needs rework in a few areas where the former has dipped lower than I would like (and on the bank where there are a few bits that are a bit weak).  Getting to the rear hill is very difficult, this should have been built in full before adding the extension to the baseboard to form the corner for the near side of the hill.   

I have also started work on the core for the hills extension onto the scenic brake. This makes use of a lot more pink foam as a basis, but still has quite a way to go before I get to the plaster stage (as the retaining walls, tunnel mouth and continuation of hill across tunnel all need adding first)

lighting is still poor at this end of the garage, with the door support casting shadows.6F7AF801-3FAD-47A9-B15B-7E62942B5B44.jpeg.6395ff4f71480c78a37d01f44438bd73.jpeg

looking towards Brent, the missing down loop should start to the bottom left of the photo.

909BA595-99A6-481F-ADED-F90E71B797CF.jpeg.8f3e80fd8c4d92fc0698d5cc29eb5fb6.jpeg

the exposed wood to the bottom left will eventually have a house installed.  I need to work out the garden (and house footprint) before the next stage of landscaping here

F92E0AFD-3D05-4ECE-BCCA-28E5E5557329.jpeg.6f8727ec1b77dddf636cbbc7fb76a3d5.jpeg
there is still some smoothing out to do on the rear hill, but it is starting to get there.  Despite my best efforts covering the track with paper, some plaster has got through so there is rework to do.   I have had issues with the Klear failing on the ballast here as well (the only time it’s not worked perfectly for me) so that will also need fixing ( as I suspect I will loose a fair bit when I Hoover)

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

More DCC testing this evening, seeing as the plaster on the hills doesn’t seem to have fully dried yet.

Net result is that I now have 3 more formally non working decoders which now work.

on the down side there are significant issues with both of my Hornby heavy tanks, the 42xx is completely dead, while the 72xx is running very badly.  I will need to unsolder the chip from the 42 to test it properly, while the 72 will need the brake rigging removing and to check there are no obstructions.  I want to confirm as well that the base plate isn’t over tightened (but the brake linkage obscures one of the screws).

one of the spare chips will now be going into  1004, so it will be good to finally get that loco running.

I have also made a start on my Dreadnaught third, with the ends modified to fit an MJT roof, tumblehome formed and the doors fitted to the first side

BB5D58D1-34A5-4F59-8690-9B41051E535F.jpeg.f7c39468afd3cff2694befe5e2822551.jpegDD820156-066A-4695-8CBA-D2B6C0566D2D.jpeg.f33e101826f20f1b4ddaf73327b844aa.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Dreadnoughts and Concertinas have a certain presence about them, I have a few of the Haye developments kits in the stash.

I definitely want to add a concertina at some point, though the thought of all those recessed doors is rather off putting.  I will eventually follow the brake third with an all third (with plates toplights) like the one at Didcot).  However my next 3 coaches will be a K40 (reskin of an Airfix B Set), Sunshine brake (reskin of a Mainline BCK which will remain 6 inches too short) and a Sunshine Composite which will be brass ends/sides on a shortened Mainline chassis/roof).

I came very close to buying a full Comet kit for a Slip as I have bought  2 sets of CPL transfers for the white SLIP lettering ( I ordered a lot of transfers, but the only ones still available in 4mm scale were the slip transfers which arrived with extortionate postage).  If anyone’s looking for set I have one spare.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

The David Geen, concertinas have whitemetal castings for the doors, I have a few of those in the stash, too.

I hope that the day both become available as RTR, will be the same day that I win the lottery, the chances, I reckon are much the same, pigs might learn to fly a couple of days later.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

A lot of progress on the Dreadnaught

C606CB27-2F98-4BCF-9E51-14547224C0A9.jpeg.f9c5f246550e2099e0eaca8b21dab034.jpeg

further modification to the ends (shown on the left) to ensure the inner end cleared the roof

9590B8EE-B0DD-4481-8CAA-AFF27901C7B2.jpeg.2a207ae95040a36981678a34bf23fa1d.jpeg

the inner end assemblies were then soldered onto the sides, given the length of the coach I added a third spaced in the centre

44F32A79-3486-4B8C-AD5E-6697B414C067.jpeg.a5f5440a650f79e71cf86d8cb08d31d3.jpeg471F6B78-D70E-437E-83F1-84D0E0B4BABA.jpeg.bf9fbf36288369936cf68d170f61415c.jpeg

the underframe was straight forward in the Comet style, however oddly no headstock was included so will need fabricating from the scrap fret.   The roof still needs the final filing and glueing in position.  Droplights will be painted and fitted post painting, a trial to see how I find it relative to soldering in place and painting in situ 

The hinges (again not included) are thankfully predrilled, these will also be added post painting.  On a ‘normal’ coach they get in the way of the lining, with all the recessed doors it would be even harder on the dreadnaught.

Other finishing work still needed, the gaps between the recessed luggage doors and the sides need filling.  This will be done once the coach has been washed and had a first coat of etch primer.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

• RMweb Gold

The D42 Dreadnought has been primed and had a little rework done on the sides (along with filling the gaps on the recessed doors).  I’ve cut some suitable strip for the headstocks, so just need to drill the buffer holes.   I don’t have the first edition of Russel in which I think these were covered, so I am struggling to verify bogie details.  Thankfully the drawing in vol2 was a godsend for the roof detail (and interior).  I see on the Rocar website they recommend Ford Sierra Beige for GWR cream, I think I will get a tin ordered as it will enable spraying coaches through the winter

DAE42930-6C6F-4F69-BA53-F11DE3231460.jpeg.996f7e4faf637328ae9309c32da4a0bd.jpeg

I have also been trying to commission 1004 having found a chip for it yesterday.  Unfortunately it seems the rubbing issues have returned (and I didn’t retest on DCC before fitting seeing as it worked fine a couple of months back).

025E14DA-DF16-48B7-B234-45E7281D41D1.jpeg.34081adbceea5cad8ec4ac4163d7857d.jpeg

I think it is a tightness in the gearbox, but it will take some time to check.  For now back in the stock box it goes.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Ford Sierra Beige for GWR cream

That used to be my choice when I lived in the UK.

5 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

I don’t have the first edition of Russel in which I think these were covered, so I am struggling to verify bogie details.

Russell vol 1 page 224: "the 9' wheelbase volute bogies were fitted, which afterwards were replaced by a 9' type known as the 'American' bogies...".

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

The D42 Dreadnought…….. ……I don’t have the first edition of Russel in which I think these were covered, so I am struggling to verify bogie details.  Thankfully the drawing in vol2 was a godsend for the roof detail (and interior)……

I also don’t have vol 1 - at the time thinking that with my 1930’s interest, I wouldn’t need it - but of course I do!

I am surprised that the 4 volumes (including the appendix vols) have not been reprinted. Better still that they haven’t been completely updated as there must be extra photos that have surfaced for some of the carriages by now.

In pretty much the same way that the GWR wagons book was updated a few years ago.

Its great to see your progress at Brent and also the steady stream of new carriages Rich, thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

I also don’t have vol 1 - at the time thinking that with my 1930’s interest, I wouldn’t need it - but of course I do!

When I bought my copies of the two appendices and volume 2, I took the logic Vo 2 covers from 1903 so I am definitely covered.  I didnt realise that Vol 1 covers up to 1913 so there is quite an overlap (all be it only for a fairly small number of coaches I want to model).  It is certainly making this project more difficult than it needs to be, finding details of the underframe is now proving difficult.

1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

I am surprised that the 4 volumes (including the appendix vols) have not been reprinted. Better still that they haven’t been completely updated as there must be extra photos that have surfaced for some of the carriages by now.

What I would really like to see is a publisher taking advantage of the ebook technology and making an electronic version of these books (and other similar reference texts), that way all of the photos could ne expanded to full size at a click rather than having to follow the constraints of the page.  The amount of times that a book has a photo I am interested in, yet its only reproduced as a small image.   Of course this would rely on the original slides still being available, which I guess could be a big ask.  With Russell I particularly like the fact that the vast majority of images are in GWR times (or very early post nationalisation) and hence are a lot more useful than most books with their BR obsession. 

At least the next 4 coaches should all be a lot easier (although it doesn't help that I should be receiving a Wizard order today / tomorrow, only i have now realised I haven't got any more vac cylinders or battery boxes so will need to place a further order....

At any rate I really ought put these etches away for when the weather turns and return focus to the layout, I really need to get that final board plastered (and ideally ballasted) before the weather turns.  I also really want to try and get the first layer of grass down on the two hills from last week seeing as it will allow for more photo opportunities.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

When I bought my copies of the two appendices and volume 2, I took the logic Vo 2 covers from 1903 so I am definitely covered.  I didnt realise that Vol 1 covers up to 1913 so there is quite an overlap (all be it only for a fairly small number of coaches I want to model).  It is certainly making this project more difficult than it needs to be, finding details of the underframe is now proving difficult.

What I would really like to see is a publisher taking advantage of the ebook technology and making an electronic version of these books (and other similar reference texts), that way all of the photos could ne expanded to full size at a click rather than having to follow the constraints of the page.  The amount of times that a book has a photo I am interested in, yet its only reproduced as a small image.   Of course this would rely on the original slides still being available, which I guess could be a big ask.  With Russell I particularly like the fact that the vast majority of images are in GWR times (or very early post nationalisation) and hence are a lot more useful than most books with their BR obsession. 

At least the next 4 coaches should all be a lot easier (although it doesn't help that I should be receiving a Wizard order today / tomorrow, only i have now realised I haven't got any more vac cylinders or battery boxes so will need to place a further order....

At any rate I really ought put these etches away for when the weather turns and return focus to the layout, I really need to get that final board plastered (and ideally ballasted) before the weather turns.  I also really want to try and get the first layer of grass down on the two hills from last week seeing as it will allow for more photo opportunities.

An ebook - now there's an idea - the only drawback would be starting completely from scratch. However, not only could the images be blown up when viewing the book. It might be possible to enhance some of them before they are "printed".

That would be quite an undertaking... I dont know how a published book is stored, so to update it in print form, might also mean starting from scratch. 

We just need to get a publisher interested and give us a big advance to start the research!

Good luck with your next 4 carriages and the scenery, as ever i look forward to watching the progress.

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

An ebook - now there's an idea - the only drawback would be starting completely from scratch. However, not only could the images be blown up when viewing the book. It might be possible to enhance some of them before they are "printed".

That would be quite an undertaking... I dont know how a published book is stored, so to update it in print form, might also mean starting from scratch. 

We just need to get a publisher interested and give us a big advance to start the research!

Good luck with your next 4 carriages and the scenery, as ever i look forward to watching the progress.

Lightmoor have done Tony Cooke's Welsh colliery book - a true magnum opus for those interested - asa printed book supplemented by enclosed DVDs because of the huge size of the subject.  But it does mean that you need a 'puter with a DVD drive and nowadays plenty come without them because of the all conquering 'cloud' thingy encouraging the manufacturers to save money and omit the drive.

Don't overlook one important fact in relation to the books Russell did and that was because they came from OPC there was unlimited access to the library of official GWR photos that were in the joint venture between the WR and OPC.  Quite who now owns those photos I don't know but there could be a reproduction fee involved for a re-publication.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1