• RMweb Gold

In the end I did manage a little time in the garage, and have set up a Wi-fi plug on the heater so the room can be pre heated...

as a result the modifications to the foam core for the vicarage road bridge are complete, and the walls have been cut or size.  Taking these back inside, they have now been fitted with the inner edges of the road and are ready for the prep of bricks to commence tomorrow.  

I also bought in the house which will overlook the western approach to the station (a change to the prototype building  to better fit the changed landscape west of Vicarage Road).  This was built for a previous layout, but not finished on one side.  This now has been clad in SE Finecast embossed sheet and will be gaining a chimney breast once it has cured.  I will then need to remember the paint mix used when originally painting it, or alternatively I need a convincing way of painting a whitewashed house...

finally, I bought the footbridge inside to make a start on painting it over the next few weeks.  It still needs the smoke deflectors fitting and the curved brackets on the sides. The latter will be added once the dark stone has been painted to assist masking). So far the first coat of light stone and brown for the wooden steps has been applied, the second cost should be on tomorrow before getting stated with the more difficult job with the dark stone later in the week.

finallt the water crane is now in place (temporarily) on the platformBF8BBE3F-9FC0-4436-B0A3-9CA56C532901.jpeg.f2d2c44b5e0cb310d25e538de96364e2.jpeg

I have been giving thought to the grass areas, currently debating between applying static grass straight to the plaster or using a grass mat as a base and adding the static grass on top...

• Like 12
  • RMweb Gold

Lots of painting, nothing finished was the story of tonight.  With the walls slowly progressing (but taking a little longer than normal as I couldn’t remember my usual paint mix.) 

I have also been getting on with the paint on the footbridge.  The light stone is now pretty much down, and a rough coat of dark stone has been added to most of the areas that were still in bare primer.  Painting the rest will take some time given the need for a lot of precision masking!   
9F2A807C-D003-4491-AD69-680D20B5D026.jpeg.da438a28245653fa15064a716d41e33a.jpeg

finally I now have the sand paper needed for the platform surface. Meaning another job can soon start, just need to work out how I will build up the banks behind the up platform before installing the surface  

• Like 9
  • RMweb Gold

Two areas of work this evening, first up the retaining walls.  All have now been painted with the first 2 stages. While one side of three parts had reached the final step.

1, bricks are picked out in various shades, for something in the background a shortcut I have used is a black sharpy marker.

2, a mix comprising 3 or 4 shades is roughly painted over the whole area.  In this case I used two applications, a dark mix of track colour and RES grey, then my stone mix of LNER red oxide, track colour and concrete.  This is only roughly mixed aiming for a different shade each time the brush is loaded.   It needs to be a very messy job with variations in colour and density of paint.

3, the final step is a thick coat of a mortar colour.  I use Vallejo buff with a bit of leather.  This is immediately wiped off leaving paint in the mortar grooves (and a general dulling of the rest). A weathering cost can then be applied if needed.

On the left is stage 2, the right stage 33B7359E6-0F88-4C99-8146-A1C9CC665C2B.jpeg.93067aca6fe3a346a374a76a285f6a3c.jpeg

attention then moved back to the footbridge, lots of painting to get the dark stone added.   I then set about adding the curved loops to the sides.  These were superglued in place wising 60thou by 10

thou plastic around a tube former.  They now need painting once dry, before adding the glazing to the west side of the bridge.  With the at done I can finally add the roof.EC9349E7-DC06-4925-AF64-78D134401203.jpeg.692dbe78e32fd706337591dd55f7c1f2.jpeg 

• Like 11
  • RMweb Gold

The focus this evening has been the roof, a rather fiddly endeavour due to the modifications made to the core kit.  Before fitting the roof glazing was added to the west facing side.

but it is coming together, unfortunately I’ve broken one of the curved parts on the side (which will be a real pain to fix now).

B2E17568-D48B-48D6-916C-97A34D8B537F.jpeg.9ff620c60b2b71e493d9058b9c4d9c9a.jpeg

Three jobs remain,

Add the pipe on the far side

Add the facia panel around the edge of the roof

Finally more paint. 

All of the retaining walls are now fully painted and ready for installation on the layout later in the week. 

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • RMweb Gold

repairs to the damaged part now fixed, joints in roof filled with Vallejo filler (my first time using it, I was impressed).  The pipe has been added to the right hand side, and a start has been made on the facia.

tomorrow night I want to finish the facia and fit the smoke deflectors, plus hopefully finish the paint... 

E2122503-8F46-43FB-8282-92471D6AF6DC.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
2 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

repairs to the damaged part now fixed, joints in roof filled with Vallejo filler (my first time using it, I was impressed).  The pipe has been added to the right hand side, and a start has been made on the facia.

tomorrow night I want to finish the facia and fit the smoke deflectors, plus hopefully finish the paint... 

E2122503-8F46-43FB-8282-92471D6AF6DC.jpeg

Ah, the infamous stench pipe!

• Friendly/supportive 1