Inspired by Brent June 1947

The Fatadder

3 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

The lower windows were slightly changed from the originals, but were pretty similar (all be it with brick arches above them) as per this photo extract 59620D41-63F1-4B45-A4B1-89D8861A9349.jpeg.257c40695af6ad1616b530240bfd79a2.jpeg

unfortunately the only photo I’ve seen of the village side of the shed is focused around the door (very useful it is to) but for the walls and the office side all I have only got post 2000 images to work with.

It looks like they resized all three windows and bricked up with plain courses.

It's an interesting photo, what is the gabled object below the windows?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I stand corrected, if it's a modern addition, they've at least gone to the trouble of making it look something like. They probably cast another cill to match the originals. 

I have a feeling the cill was relocated from the end, as were the blue bricks.  Having originated on the lower windows

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I always find it interesting to unpick the history of a building, especially those which have been repurposed over time. 

I hope that you don't think I am one of those people who post something to the effect of "That's wrong!" before disappearing. I am just making comparisons with other sites and asking questions as much to expand my own knowledge as anything.

Last year someone I know asserted that the terminus station building of the G&KER had been swept away and a cafe built on the footprint. 

A walk round the outside revealed that a lot of it is still there, but with an extension to the front and centre and an entirely new first floor level.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I always find it interesting to unpick the history of a building, especially those which have been repurposed over time. 

Thats right, the research is as interesting as the modelling. No idea when the changes were made, but what we can see fit the narrative. Very interesting.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BrushType4 said:

Thats right, the research is as interesting as the modelling. No idea when the changes were made, but what we can see fit the narrative. Very interesting.

Even when the person who said that the original building was all gone was too tight fisted to buy a cup of tea and have a mooch around the site. :scratchhead:

• Friendly/supportive 1

The office extension of Tetbury is unusual in that the weighbridge hut is formed on the end of it, as a result, the downstairs office windows are displaced around the corners, the steps are turned through ninety degrees, presumably to deter foot traffic over the weighbridge plate, but still no upstairs window in that wall face.

Shed1963.jpg.3bd937324026c0af7bb00d831d0c970f.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
FUBAR
  • Like 5

Right so the first floor window is out and I've moved on to the ends of the Goods Shed. Here unfortunately the pictures we have are not as clear for brick counting as we would like. But using standard GWR Goods Sheds plans and taking an educated guess I've drafted the ends.

1878866548_SouthBrent.jpeg.a3ad965e1374473f63d64c7ef3b26032.jpeg

Not sure on the awning detail or the glazing, so will spend bit more time on that. Once we have these exterior drawings, small changes will be made to tweak the design based on the materials we will use to make build.

More soon.

Edited by BrushType4
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, BrushType4 said:

Makes sense. What about the style of the wood awning section? I think it’s more fancy than we have at the moment. 

That is an area I haven’t seen any photos of unfortunately.  Other than working out it’s width based upon the bracket spacing (backed up with very grainy aerial photos on Britain from above).

I am thinking the pattern would be along the same lines as other sheds such as that at Tetbury etc 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

With Tetbury and Maidenhead it's worth noting that either the bricks are different sizes or some dimensions vary slightly.

For example, If you count the brick courses from the bottom of the blue brick arches (at the top of each window), to the top of the window sill, there are 24 courses at Maidenhead and 22 at Tetbury:100_2418.JPG.de1186394cbabba8749cb0ccbc750ccc.JPG

Maidenhead4.jpg.0ea6b32e3f2d8b9c8b45bf1e55a8474a.jpg

Also, from the bottom of the window sill to the top of the splayed plinth brinks I count 29 courses at Maidenhead and 27 at Tetbury.

100_2447.JPG.8c525b60edf2e6759194c1bf0ad28ad2.JPG

Finally, above the windows, I count 6 courses of corbelled bricks below the guttering, at Maidenhead, and 5 courses at Tetbury.

100_2478.JPG.49edb8db6755c726c715d73813d5c98e.JPG

No doubt there were other variations to what appears to be a standard design!

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 4