Model Railways Direct Ltd

john flann

Despite Satnav, and the address I couldn't find it when I tried...

Yep like most modern estates it all looks the same,so you might end up going round and round, but being the only rank of shops in the estate anyone around should know where you want if you can find some one to ask!

Clue it is not to far in the jungle of roads so don't go to far in!

finisterre parade give a short cut rather than the long way around Phoenix way

• RMweb Gold

Well I am not sure about getting to MRD but one thing I can vouch for is stuff getting from MRD--online order placed yesterday at 15.40, postie turned up today with parcel at 13.00, that's a very impressive turnaround time! Great prices too on the coaches I ordered, to go with my last order (LMS Fairburn last week!), though today's arrival was 'spotted' by Mrs Tractionman and questions had to be answered...

cheers,

Keith

Edited by tractionman

• RMweb Premium

I always ask if I can`t find it or Google it

In Google maps, type in the full address (post code is not helpful) and it points you straight to the model shop.

I use maps a lot to locate premises and now find that street addresses are far more accurate than post codes to find somewhere.

Edit to add: there is even a label saying model railways direct!

Edited by dhjgreen

• 2 weeks later...

Must be something with postmen today - heard the post come through the letter box, picked it up, looked out of the front window to see the postman looking back at the house, he waved and came back with a parcel containing the two dcc modules I had ordered from them on Monday evening.

Edited by Butler Henderson

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'll try again next time.

I struggled to find it too, then I discovered that it is behind you as you drive round the one way system. I found this out by stopping and asking a bloke who was walking in the opposite direction as to where the shop was. This was about 15 yards from the shop and he was looking straight at it!

I struggled to find it too, then I discovered that it is behind you as you drive round the one way system. I found this out by stopping and asking a bloke who was walking in the opposite direction as to where the shop was. This was about 15 yards from the shop and he was looking straight at it!

See my post #31 it's pretty simple really...

• RMweb Gold

See my post #31 it's pretty simple really...

Thanks. 20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing. I still struggled to find it and drove round the estate twice. Obviously I'm a dumb tw@t, and therefore have no idea what I'm doing.

Just wanted to post my recent Model Railways Direct experience.  I was looking for some Ratio and Wills kits and living in the U.S. pretty much have to do so via the web.  I found what I was looking for from Model Railways Direct and submitted my order on 31 October.  Today (7 November) when I got home from work there was a box on the front step with my order.  Seven days to receive a transAtlantic order (without paying for any of the "super fast" shipping methods) has made me a very satisfied customer.  I should also note that the items were packed in a very sturdy box.  I shall add MRD to my list of folks to shop with.

Dave  

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi folks,

Having posted on the Model Railways Direct sale

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/125236-bargain-hunters-mark-2/?p=3037688

I nearly missed out on getting a bargain of my own, but I was just in time with processing it before it went out of stock!

Anyway, just wanted to report a first class service from MRD with order placed Thursday evening, mailed out Friday and this morning parcel arrived containing my bargain loco!

Excellent :-)

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by tractionman

There prices never seem as competitive as they use to, haven't ordered from them in a few years.... Always had good service with them though :)

Maybe so but their sales are excellent. 150/2 at £88 and class 450 SWT at £229 were absolute steals. Shame most other retailers don't have sales periodically.

Hi folks,

Having posted on the Model Railways Direct sale

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/125236-bargain-hunters-mark-2/?p=3037688

I nearly missed out on getting a bargain of my own, but I was just in time with processing it before it went out of stock!

Anyway, just wanted to report a first class service from MRD with order placed Thursday evening, mailed out Friday and this morning parcel arrived containing my bargain loco!

Excellent :-)

Cheers,

Keith

Another satisfied customer here with a similar experience. Ordered some sale items late on Thursday and they arrived in this mornings post. Can’t better that.

I find their prices are usually very competitive and I use them as a benchmark when comparing other sources. Their occasional sales have some real bargains.

Chris

Maybe so but their sales are excellent. 150/2 at £88 and class 450 SWT at £229 were absolute steals. Shame most other retailers don't have sales periodically.

Don't rub that in! They did the 150/2s at that price earlier last year too though I didn't have the money at the time! Just brought 2 150/2s lately, one for £99 from footplate and another at £114 from ehattons! I did check MDR before I brought those 2 as well but was something like £130 at the time :( (this is for a 150/0 conversion project)

Edited by centraltrains

Whilst i agree with the above about speed of delivery, here's another story about MRD.

I bought a 31 tts decoder from RAILS last year and struggled to get it to work.  MRD is the closest model railway shop to me.  I gave them a ring and told them my problem, including that i hadn't bought it from them.  "Bring it in" was his reply, so i made the trip over the bridge and through the housing estate where we spent the best part of half an hour determining what the problem was with it.  Turned out that it was actually my Lenz system that didn't like it.  His suggestion was the loan of a Gaugemaster Decoder Doctor to sort it out.  I didn't take him up on that because after spending so long with me, i felt it rude to just borrow the kit, so i bought it instead.  Its actually been a very worthwhile purchase.  I did buy a load of other stuff as well, but how's that for service?    Its a cracking shop - stuffed to the gills with tasty things!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I still use them primarily because they are one of the few model retailers who have made the effort to build a good website and I have never had any reason to complain about service. It amazes me that despite Model Railways Direct having taught other shops a lesson in what a good model shop website looks like certain other bigger shops still have garbage websites.

• 6 months later...