Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Mystery poster

wilsoh

Under the "Angie" name label, the post-nationalisation (1963) Pullman Car "Company" logo can be seen embroidered/printed on the stewardess's blouse, so the poster must post-date 1963 and, equally, it must be a BR poster.

The puzzle is what train is being promoted, it looks as if the first letter is an "N" but the only relevant train - The Northumbrian - was never a Pullman train and anyway, IIRC, ceased very soon after 1963.

I wonder if the "N" is actually the first letter of the word "New" - "New at-seat meal (or breakfast) service" perhaps, given the picture.

It is also quite possible that the picture is a BR photo-library shot and that the Pullman logo hasn't been noticed, if it had been it would have been air-brushed out. On the Southern, the Pullman Car Company had provided the staff (and sometimes the vehicles) for on-train refreshments and the old arrangements continued for a while post-1963. I am not aware of this having been the case on the East Coast Main Line, but there were, of course, Pullman Car Company staff who were (and doubtless continued to be) responsible for staffing the Pullman Car trains on that route.

Looking at the lettering, 'The' looks very like it belongs on an 'Intercity' poster

http://www.srpublicity.co.uk/brs/ic-images/x3.jpg

http://www.srpublicity.co.uk/brs/brs21.htm#t1

As well as the 'Intercity' style lettering, I'd say the hairstyle was very 80s too.

The NRM might have one, but no photo online: http://www.nrm.org.uk/OurCollection/Posters/CollectionItem?objid=1986-9384&pageNo=15&ipp=96

Hi Guys, many thanks for your replies and thoughts.

Down near the bottom does it say Darlington to?

Any one know of any service from Darlington to ? or was it just that the nearest main line station

to Redcar was Darlington?

Regards

Howard Wilson C.M.R.C.

• RMweb Gold

I saw this earlier, Hidden Teesside is an excellent site

The blue poster is over the top of it.

I wonder if it was promoting the service that replaced the direct Cleveland executive from Middlesbrough.

• RMweb Gold

I used to drink in The Lobster whilst I lived in Redcar between 1985 and 2000. Very cheap and tasty Sammys :)

I lived about 400 yards west of it whilst renting, then bought a house about 200 yards from Redcar Central and overlooking the line just east of it :)

I saw this earlier, Hidden Teesside is an excellent site

The blue poster is over the top of it.

I wonder if it was promoting the service that replaced the direct Cleveland executive from Middlesbrough.

I'm sorry Russ, but look at that shadow created by the section of the poster by the wording 'The N..' to the right of the name badge where it is curled back on itself. It couldn't do that if it were under the blue poster.

• RMweb Gold

Ahh you might be right. I remember seeing it going ECS to Middlesbrough on a morning before 86

I think it may have been named a bit before then though I could be wrong.

The initial intention was that it would stable overnight at Middlesbrough, hence the HST sidings which remain today

the uniform appears to be similar to the one shown on this advert for the 1989-90 Pullmans, although of the passenger rather than the staff

http://www.srpublicity.co.uk/brs/brs23.htm

Mark

may help tie it to the late 80's-early 90's era?

edited. The The on the poster looks identical to the one on the brochure as well

As I have said before Angie is wearing a uniform which includes the post-1963 Pullman Car company "crest", both below her name badge and, I now notice, on her buttons. I can't now remember how long the use of this continued, although common sense would suggest well into the Travellers' Fare era as far as on train staff were concerned, but it certainly wouldn't have survived John Prideaux's blitz on conformity with the InterCity image and JDCAP was appointed Director in February 1986.

And while it is certainly possible that before this an old photo-library shot* would have found its way on to a poster, it certainly wouldn't have happened in the Prideaux era. Everything had to conform to the image - and I speak from personal experience, I actually commissioned one of the leaflets included in the link in post 23. (Incidentally the Pullman leaflet in this link shows a quite different InterCity Pullman uniform, the woman in the red jacket is a passenger.)

*If it is an old photo-library shot, I wonder if it dates right back to the introduction of the electric Manchester Pullman in 1966, almost two decades before the poster was probably produced!

sorry to double post

http://www.srpublicity.co.uk/brs/brs24.htm

the Northumbrian mentions Darlington as a named station

The top line of the advert appears to start Why...

the second line which has been suggested as 'the fac.' - Im wondering if that actually says 'the sea'

we then have 'The N.'

followed by 'lington to' which I think may say Bournemouth - the straight line of the B and the curve from the r

Regards

Mark

Archived