GW Macaw G (Ex. TVR)

special_dx

Can anyone shed any light on the above wagon(s) was it a one-off? I want to build the Ratio kit as the wagon ran under TVR ownership, but I cannot find any details. My GW Wagons book has very little to say, just that the Wagons were absorbed and used without alteration. Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

There were 20 of these wagons to TVR diagram 22. Numbered 7700 to 7719.

Unfortunately they were 35' over buffers; the Ratoio model is wrong being a "bay" or so short.

There is an outline TVR diagram in I believe the OPC lists at the NRM.

They were I believe painted in the TVR wagon red. when fresh from repaint.

For its size (route length) the TVR maintained a strong vehicle set.

Regards

Basil

• 1 year later...

I bought one of these, and on doing some research on he internet, found I'd bought shares in a minefield.

Having benefited from some kind support from other modellers, I can advise that the TVR Macaw G was 38' over buffers, 35' over headstocks. So, in my dry run of assembly, I make the Ratio kit around 2' too short - and 6" too wide. The length is lost in the space between the middle stake pockets - it should be 7' but it's 5'. I think this might have been done for trainset curves.

Also, I think the difference between body and solebar is too small; moving the solebar in would bring the model closer to the 7' 4" dimension over solebars of the prototype.

All in all, a lot of work to put right.

Cheers

Jan

I bought one of these, and on doing some research on he internet, found I'd bought shares in a minefield.

Having benefited from some kind support from other modellers, I can advise that the TVR Macaw G was 38' over buffers, 35' over headstocks. So, in my dry run of assembly, I make the Ratio kit around 2' too short - and 6" too wide. The length is lost in the space between the middle stake pockets - it should be 7' but it's 5'. I think this might have been done for trainset curves.

Also, I think the difference between body and solebar is too small; moving the solebar in would bring the model closer to the 7' 4" dimension over solebars of the prototype.

All in all, a lot of work to put right.

Cheers

Jan

Welcome to 1950s modelling :jester:

Paul

• Agree 1

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just to correct my previous entry and agree with others: TVR 30T  Timber Truck, later GWR Macaw G. Length over headstocks 35 ft, width 7ft 4", The bolsters are removeable and don't revolve. Bogies axle spacing 5ft 6", Distance beween middle of bogies 24ft. distance between buffer centres 5ft  8 1/2in. This from the outline diagram I prev mentioned. Presumable removeanle bolsters suggest the are relocatable; as drawn the spacing beween the outer pairs is less than the next inner and the middle pair are between the others. Diagram has no overall length over buffers.