Western Region OO Castle Cary Themed Garage Layout 1970's-1990's Era

Pedro32

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon,

So as I said before not much progress to report lately. I did manage today thought to make a start on the stone retaining wall that will run behind the platforms and have tidies up a recess around a point motor. Stock wise I received the new Bachmann 08 in BR blue livery, which runs very smoothly. I have also begun the invest in some colour light signals, and have upgraded my dcc system from Dynamis to an ECoS Command Station, which is amazing and so far easy to use.

Cheers

Peter

021_zps2pkm86rw.jpg

backscene has been added today (before shot)

022_zps0zv59hxh.jpg

new loco

023_zpshpcpcywb.jpg

walls taking shape

024_zpsheoafi7c.jpg

026_zpshe7ptbsm.jpg

backscene added

025_zpsssecawqd.jpg

point motor recess

027_zpsi1vg5u1r.jpg

overview

028_zpsykdpcu39.jpg

new toys

029_zpsfzf4yymi.jpg

030_zpsgcoee6rj.jpg

Edited by Pedro32
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I managed to grab some time this afternoon to finish positioning the walls and add a bit of vegetation. Quite please with how its turned out.

Cheers

Peter

001_zpsvewuglze.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Another month and just a small update this time. On testing some locomotives recently I noticed my peco insulfrog points would lose electrical supply once the point had been switched. Not helpful if you're trying to shunt the loco from one running line to another and it stalls and not wishing to reply on using the hand from above I needed to improve things. Since I'd tacked down the track and wired in the power bus supply/ point motors and placed insulated fish plates between my two running lines to avoid shorting, I wasnt keep to rip it up again.

Not wishing to rip it all up again I decided to add some additional power connectors and get the soldering iron out. Given that I'd not used it in a couple of years it decided to give up the ghost - though the new replacement has increased my confidence soldering now!

before and after shots.

002_zps5bewciqe.jpg

004_zpsbrzro0f1.jpg

I'll report how the testing goes once I've wired it all in.

Cheers

Peter

Edited by Pedro32
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So I managed to find time to complete my wiring this weekend and attached the extra power feeds to the power buses. 

Before shots: 

002_zpsmwcmn7lf.jpg

001_zps25kkq1zp.jpg

After shots with some wiring tidying and electical track tester showing my work was done:

008_zps3bvvfzkr.jpg

007_zpscmcngwhi.jpg

009_zpsdv44gaqm.jpg

010_zpsoinogncd.jpg

Cheers

Peter

Edited by Pedro32

• RMweb Gold

You're certainly cracking on Peter :-)

Lee,

Thanks for the kind words ;-) Its a long wandering journey. You can read lots of material but its not till you've actually done the hard graft yourself, including problem solving that you start to get the satisfaction knowing you're heading in the right direction!

Cheers

Peter

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I may even get some more scenic work done on the boards this week, as have some leave coming up. I'm aiming to add some grass textures and some fencing along the whole embankment. Plus I need to finish off the bridge on the first baseboard. The lists never get shorter!

029_zps2b5hq8ri.jpg

Cheers

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Evening,

Well the grass has begun to grow, but this is just a test, as I think this is too dark a colour. I think I'll need something lighter. Possibly WS light green?  Once sorted I'll add some fencing will go in and should start to look half decent.

cheers

Peter

037_zpsunaxj7rj.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Peter

Good progress with the layout, just one thing Castle Cary had one of the GWR's wartime austerity signal boxes.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the comments. Yes I know. I'm waiting on a ARP style signal box kit to arrive so I can paint it white to resemble the prototype that was there. I'll also have another box towards the end of the small yard that will be based on Truro. Again this will be fictitious as cc only had one box- but modellers license...

Cheers

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon,

I've managed to achieve two things over recent days, the first actually joining all the constructed baseboards together for a short running session. Secondly I managed to make some more headway with the Weymouth branch and can now set about installing a point motor and running a bus wire underneath the front baseboards. Spent the majority of this morning positioning track and drilling holes for the power feeds. I've also added some greenery to the embankment, which will be added to over time.

Cheers

Peter

Before

021_zpsif2nbp3v.jpg

023_zpsmsa2bn6d.jpg

024_zpsxcvkrur8.jpg

025_zpsyoreyeqn.jpg

After

026_zpsqcfo22yv.jpg

029_zpsnpvttir9.jpg

028_zpsr4hs5rri.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

So done a little more over the last few days. Including tidying up the corner of platform and construction of the austerity signal box has commenced. The kit goes well together and with a little paint will look fine.

28493913393_467d1cc4c0_k.jpg015 by Pedro Hill, on Flickr

29112640885_0214405b3d_k.jpg014 by Pedro Hill, on Flickr

Cheers

Peter

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello,

Slowly plodding along. I've got the majority of the signal box parts painted now and have set about adding some interior detailing and the glazing has gone in. 

Cheers

Peter

29466543474_7815919263_k.jpg061 by Pedro Hill, on Flickr

30060016916_42366e3e74_k.jpg060 by Pedro Hill, on Flickr

Edited by Pedro32
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello Stu, and fellow Rmwebbers,

Its not quite stopped but not far off. I've sold my place and currently house hunting at present. The layout construction has halted as layout that had been built has been dismantled pending a move. It means most weekends have been given up to viewing suitable homes etc. All have either a loft or garage for potential layout spaces.. :sungum:

I've almost finished the signal box, just need to glue together the roof, and a few other bits then do some weathering and apply the name board. I've taken delivery of my BL Dapol A4 and its a lovely beast. Though not test run it yet.

Cheers

Peter

32123169132_8ffe05b575_k.jpg005 by Pedro Hill, on Flickr

31784032075_e8672a5c8e_k.jpg038 by Pedro Hill, on Flickr

31784022875_eb8b77620e_k.jpg040 by Pedro Hill, on Flickr

Edited by Pedro32
  • Like 1

Hello Stu, and fellow Rmwebbers,

Its not quite stopped but not far off. I've sold my place and currently house hunting at present. The layout construction has halted as layout that had been built has been dismantled pending a move. It means most weekends have been given up to viewing suitable homes etc. All have either a loft or garage for potential layout spaces.. :sungum:

I've almost finished the signal box, just need to glue together the roof, and a few other bits then do some weathering and apply the name board. I've taken delivery of my BL Dapol A4 and its a lovely beast. Though not test run it yet.

Cheers

Peter

32123169132_8ffe05b575_k.jpg005 by Pedro Hill, on Flickr

31784032075_e8672a5c8e_k.jpg038 by Pedro Hill, on Flickr

31784022875_eb8b77620e_k.jpg040 by Pedro Hill, on Flickr

Good luck on the move Peter. Bet you're running plans through your head of what you could do with a garage or loft space !

All the best,

Stu.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

So a little more work done- I'm determined to finish the box off prior to my move! 

32785725575_0e0665ca00_k.jpg003 by Pedro Hill, on Flickr

32745169526_a2a1c3877a_k.jpg004 by Pedro Hill, on Flickr

31971713153_3eca2b8d6d_k.jpg005 by Pedro Hill, on Flickr

So flat sold and new house found with lovely garage destined for my layout. All progressing nicely and we should be moving within 12 weeks... but we'll see!

Cheers

Peter

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

So yes its been a while and still on track for moving from South London towards the Woking direction. Likely now to be within the next month, which is progress. On the layout nothings been done, its dismantled and bubble wrapped ready for the movers. I have been selling surplus stock too. I have though updated the layout plan as I would like to apply rule 1 and backdate it so that CC has the up and down loops reinstated and I've decided that there's likely to be a small motive power depot too. I'll post a plan once I've finalised the layout, but likely to be heavily influenced by Taunton.

Cheers

Peter

33257619380_e957b4a400_k.jpg017 by Pedro Hill, on Flickr

Edited by Pedro32

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello,

Well when I said in March I was moving within the month, that was very optimistic, that said we have moved outside the M25 for the first time in ten years. And been in a month and its very nice it too. As with most older homes there's plenty to be doing, though tradespeople are doing the bulk of it. Painting is my limit. Garden is mature and will keep us busy, and then that brings me to the garage, which will in time become the railway room and new home for Castle Cary..

At the start it was this...

34881665880_dcf8be9cc0_k.jpg089 by Pedro Hill, on Flickr

The garage will be painted inside and led lighting will be fitted in the next few weeks, extractor fan and a new door and window are also being ordered/fitted.

Today I've been assembling the workbenches which will support the layout and have extra storage beneath. I've bought enough benches so it will fit all the way round the garage, though for the moment time is precious with the jobs in the house!

35268690805_7faacd6476_k.jpg031 by Pedro Hill, on Flickr

And finally unpacked the layout sections from its packing material, which Pickfords did a great job with I must say, nothing broken or damaged.

34459570143_84b2203a16_k.jpg032 by Pedro Hill, on Flickr

34425087884_fe5034d759_k.jpg033 by Pedro Hill, on Flickr

35228465426_492c0acc06_k.jpg035 by Pedro Hill, on Flickr

More to follow in time.

Cheers

Peter

Edited by Pedro32
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello,

So the work in the garage is plodding along nicely. Finally finished installing the lighting and power sockets a few weekends ago,  thanks to my dad who did most of the work. A new window and door will shortly be fitted, all the while I'm just about finished with the interior painting. It always takes longer than you think! 

36088444953_1f49992a42_k.jpg003 by Pedro Hill, on Flickr

I've got a few more worktop units to assemble before I start building some more baseboard units, which are going to go round the entire wall area of the garage.

Cheers for now

Peter

Edited by Pedro32
  • Like 1