Western Region OO Castle Cary Themed Garage Layout 1970's-1990's Era

Pedro32

• RMweb Gold
Hi,

I've lurked for a while now and thought it was high time I posted something. I've drawn up a track plan for which my new layout it is based loosely on Castle Cary in Somerset. It was my local train station growing up, so spent many a weekend jumping on the train heading down to Weymouth or Taunton. My era for my layout will be broadly based from 1970's to early 1990's. The plan below will allow me to have enough through passenger traffic in addition to a branch-line, and small yard to tinker with coal and quarry stone traffic. With modeler's license I'll be running coal trains through from a newly discovered mendip coal seam. Plus the occasional nuclear rail traffic through from Hinkley Point too. 

My plan is to have a fiddle yard on the opposite side to the station on the layout and it will be operated using DCC operation.

The aim of the layout is to have it constructed using modular baseboards, which I have purchased in kit form and self assembled. So once one board is finished I move onto the next. The speed at which i have done this has been rather slow, but when you become a dad its important to enjoy watching your little ones grow up- hopefully my sons will also get the railway bug too!

I've been quite lucky in the fact that my wife allows me a modelling room and encourages my hobby. Though an impending house move on the horizon (next 12 months) to pastures new will mean that my modelling time is precious anyway!

Cheers

Peter

002_zpsqlmxqym6.jpg

CastleCaryScanImagerevisedMay2014v1_zpsd

Edited by Pedro32
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Some more progress to report. Started construction of a signal box kit and a set of platforms from 4Ground, and have to say I'm really impressed with the ease these kits go together and how they look.

Cheers

Peter

002_zpsvew5yxcf.jpg

003_zpsqjohlgjz.jpg

013_zpsjxqsnmxs.jpg

012_zpsraxd4f3f.jpg

011_zps4hnisjuh.jpg

• Like 7

Hi

Looking good.....Great progress......

As you say the kits look very good....I assume laser cut wood/ply or whatever......

Not come across them before....Where/How are they obtained?

Keep up the good work

Cheers Bill

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the supportive comments, and you have some great looking layouts yourself too- Creedyford is superb!

4Ground- They are stocked by some online retailers, and they have only been on the scene producing kits for model railways since last year as far as I can tell. But yes laser cut pre-painted.

Next up to do is this set of double sided platforms.

Cheers

Peter

004_zpswcvbpxbd.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Banger Blue,

Yes my baseboards are from Tim horn, like you my woodwork skills are not the best. But these are easy to go together.

Regards

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Evening,

So the platforms have gone together as expected, just another eight or so packs to do.

005_zpscphumkre.jpg

006_zpspfllvswj.jpg

007_zpsz8mipv4w.jpg

And I even found time to do some more work on the signal box as well.

008_zps0rwoozbn.jpg

009_zpssjopypvu.jpg

010_zps3i3fyz1g.jpg

011_zpsqdmu6sy0.jpg

That's all for now.

Regards

Peter

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I've managed to get some more done on the signal box. Apart from the interior and chimney its pretty much done.

005_zpsscymcdsc.jpg

008_zpsvhc0d6ty.jpg

The yellow post it is deliberate so I can lift off the roof and paint and add some interior detail.

010_zpsmvau7akp.jpg

Cheers

Peter

Edited by Pedro32
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Its been a while since I reported any progress. But have been plodding along as they say. Spent an enjoyable day at Ally Pally on the weekend looking round the various layout, trying to not be knocked out by people with rucksacks and bags. I had not been for two years and thought it had improved, with wide aisles and a good selection of traders. 

Now to modelling. The signal box has stopped while I wait for some new roof tiles as I tried to varnish to roof with clear matt varnish and the effect was some horrible white effect. Still its a learning point.

On the boards I've made a start applying the back-scene and made good progress today. I found PVA to be more trouble than its worth, and preferred the deluxe glaze n glue far easier to work with and left fewer lumps, even with using claps etc. 

004_zps5p14t0xu.jpg

002_zpsw4osq2en.jpg

The white wot-sits will be covered with basket liner and some static grass with possible some sort of fencing. And I've started making some more baseboards for the line to Weymouth.

005_zpspa2o44y1.jpg

007_zpsonrhofun.jpg

008_zps1p4djwrw.jpg

Cheers

Peter

• Like 4

Its been a while since I reported any progress. But have been plodding along as they say. Spent an enjoyable day at Ally Pally on the weekend looking round the various layout, trying to not be knocked out by people with rucksacks and bags. I had not been for two years and thought it had improved, with wide aisles and a good selection of traders. 

Now to modelling. The signal box has stopped while I wait for some new roof tiles as I tried to varnish to roof with clear matt varnish and the effect was some horrible white effect. Still its a learning point.

On the boards I've made a start applying the back-scene and made good progress today. I found PVA to be more trouble than its worth, and preferred the deluxe glaze n glue far easier to work with and left fewer lumps, even with using claps etc. 

004_zps5p14t0xu.jpg

002_zpsw4osq2en.jpg

The white wot-sits will be covered with basket liner and some static grass with possible some sort of fencing. And I've started making some more baseboards for the line to Weymouth.

005_zpspa2o44y1.jpg

007_zpsonrhofun.jpg

008_zps1p4djwrw.jpg

Cheers

Peter

Hi

Coming along nicely....Looking good....

Cheers Bill

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon.

Thanks Bill.

Plodding along nicely now. Now I'd never used basket liner before, but what an easy product to glue and place where you want it with the minimum of fuss.

I've now extended the back-scene onto the second baseboard with a bit of greenery.

001_zpsw1pbjitl.jpg

002_zpsohqdxhsx.jpg

Cheers

Peter

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Evening!

Thanks for all the kind words of support- Stuart, ikcdab , ess1uk. Treggyman and Bobster. Always nice to have input from others.

I've made a bot more progress and have added some more back scene and more basket liner. Now the eagle eyed among you will spot there is a change in the back scene and my plan will be to partly draw the viewers eye away from this join with some foliage/fencing and the odd tree. I've got some telegraph poles too so may decide to plant those in the odd place here and there. We'll see though as the embankment works have not been finished- indeed these are still at early stages of construction.  :paint:

009_zpszlfupglk.jpg

Cheers

Peter

Edited by Pedro32
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello,

Its been a while and actually its been rather quiet because daily family life has meant I've not had much spare time recently! That said I've had a few hours today where I've managed to continue with building my embankments. The plan is that the embankment will disapper once it meets the plate layers hut and it will have some sort of stone retaining wall running behind the station.

033_zps20zeyieu.jpg

And the poster boards are just temporary. More backscene added and embankment supports in place.

034_zpsklapbyak.jpg

035_zpsvdbcwlws.jpg

Just geeting an idea where the hut will go and stonework will start..

036_zpsude6hxql.jpg

037_zpsbwg7hng2.jpg

038_zps87boiqhz.jpg

Thats all for now. Will post more pictures once the walls have been built.

Cheers

Peter

Edited by Pedro32
  • Like 2

Look forward to following developments, Castle Cary is a nice choice of prototype, I went past it quite a few times commuting from near Wells to Blandford Forum in the early 2000's and was always tempted to model it one day.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

In between enjoying some of this early sunshine, I have also managed to do some more modelling. This time concentrating on construction of the boards which will carry the line to Weymouth and the line to platform 3 and on into the yard. I've also started construction of the second road bridge which will act as a portal to the fiddle yard.

Cheers

Peter

055_zpsjkxz4dke.jpg

061_zpsuapbjivg.jpg

062_zpsoa8yrtft.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

And while my bridge is drying I thought I'd mock up where the lines would converge. On reflection I will likely replace the short point for a medium sized one to avoid any potential for derailments.

Cheers Peter

065_zpshmakegye.jpg

066_zpsuasjdbqq.jpg

067_zpsmhhnc6cw.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Thanks for the comments. No Glasto special's from my station.  I'm afraid work and life have absorbed a lot of my time recently. What I have done has proceeded at a snails pace but will post a photo or two over the weekend.

Cheers

Peter