Weedkiling class 20 twins

Jaeson Pryer

• 2 weeks later...

I took the body off my green one to do it which was a bit of a faff. I fitted a Bachmann 36-558A, there was just enough room it is very tight.

I think I read somewhere (please someone else jump in here to confirm) that it can be chipped by just removing the cab.

Regards

Roy

from memory the chip goes in near the roof of the cab so maybe possible to remove just the cab

I think you just have to use nails or carefully a knife to dislodge the body though. take cab of first. then try to get the body off.

it is awkward.

good luck

Fitting dcc chips to the farish class 20 is a simple operation ,remove the two screws holding the. Cab in place and the cab body simply slides away vertically from the body. Removal of the dcc blanking plug check the orientation of pin 1 on the chip gaugemaster and Digitrax chips the pin 1 marker on the chip faces down . Both of these chips fit easily in the body, take time fitting to avoid bending the pins on the decoder, as once you get familiar with the position the chip fitting is easy.

Gently replace the cab by pushing down on the body, there are a pair of lugs on either side of the body, make sure that when you re-assemble that locate properly.

Do not over tighten the screws holding the body to the chassis , I did find on my class 20 twins one was slightly longer than the other.

Interesting conundrum, with both locos sound fitted how do you limit the horn sounds to just the leading one without removing the throttle/engine/brake sounds from the other? 

It's not really a conundrum, that's how these pair are programmed.  The horns and door opening/closing sounds only play on the currently leading loco, the dispatch whistle (if used) only plays at the rear. When the train reverses, so do the positions from which the sounds emminate. I.e. the horns always sound from the leading loco whichever the direction of travel.

The same Fkeys are used to play the horns in each dirrection, the decoders make the distinction about which sound is played and from which decoder

Additionally, the horn sounds from each loco differ from each other though I have recorded all of them from existing Class 20 locomotives.

The engine and braking and many other sounds play from each loco, though for the engine sounds there is a built-in delay at each stage so that the sound of one PM is always slightly behind that of the other.

If you wish to operate either of them as a solo locomotive, a change in the values of a few CVs (listed in the User Notes which accompany the decoders) is all that's required.

Kind regards,

Paul

I have just run-in my pair today. It seems that Farish have thoughtfully wired the 20s so that when coupled nose to nose they run in the same direction under DCC control, no need to reprogram one to run backwards.

I'd imagine they would. It's the only way they could be operated this way on DC and Farish have to make them work as a pair (as sold) for their analogue users who do not have the option to alter direction with a value change in CV29.

Thanks for highlighting this as I'll need to differentiate the sound project for this specific pair from any other paired Class 20s.

Kind regards,

Paul

I'd imagine they would. It's the only way they could be operated this way on DC and Farish have to make them work as a pair (as sold) for their analogue users who do not have the option to alter direction with a value change in CV29.

Thanks for highlighting this as I'll need to differentiate the sound project for this specific pair from any other paired Class 20s.

Kind regards,

Paul

Hi Paul,

As the weedkiller Class 20s have a DC motor.....they should travel in the same direction regardless of orientation......unless the motor has been fitted upside down, then they will always travel in different directions...ie, either towards or away from each other.

As for DCC, some one else can comment on that as I'm not so familiar with that particular black art.....

Later,

Stu from EGDL.

Under DCC running it doesn't matter which way round the loco is facing on the track, the chip determines the direction of travel, forward or backward. This is easier to imagine in the case of a steam locomotive, foward means smokebox first and reverse tender first. If you set it going smokebox first than pick it up and turn it around it will still travel smokebox first until you change the direction of travel on the controller. Under DC control if you do the same it will run tender first if you pick it up and turn it around.

I would have expected that if you set both class 20s going forward under DCC control they would both try to travel (let's say) nose first. In the weed-killing train they are arranged nose to nose which would be a recipe for an accident. Farish have been thoughful in wiring one to travel nose first when commanded forward, and the other cab first.

• RMweb Premium

I had a DCC ready Class 20 that insisted in going the opposite direction to the other supposedly identical (other than being renumbered) Class 20 which I solved by taking the errant one of the pair and turning around the DCC blanking plug.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi I have just received my class 20's and the two coaches for the weedkiling train today from parrs in Lowestoft

What about the water tank set? 

Does anyone have photos of the (similar time period) weedkiller train in Scotland?

Archived