IoW light rail conversion proposed

• RMweb Premium

So the clearance issues are more to do with the end/centre throw of longer vehicles, rather than just a case of 'too big' dimensionally?

(Apologies if this has been covered further back in the thread)

• Agree 2

A chap called Mark Brinton had done an extensive report on stock suitability for the IoWR. ISTR it's been mentioned on here before on another thread.

Mark has been a member of the IWSR for many years and was on the C&W at Ryde works for a number of years.

• Like 1

Here's Mark Brinton's 2016 report. I remember he done an earlier report comparing the different rolling stock, maybe in the mid 1980s.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=2ahUKEwi44_jS18LnAhWqRhUIHVJfBZwQFjACegQIBxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.railfuture.org.uk%2FDL1236&usg=AOvVaw3Rt5G0Y0TMhZ_L-EbWspH-

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 08/02/2020 at 09:08, roythebus said:

Yes I'm well aware of that. There was plenty of Mk1 suburban stock around but as we know it was thought to be too big. As has ben discovered in the recent past, the class 33 that visited the IWSR fitted through the structures on that line with no problem, which suggests that Mk1 stock "could" have fitted with modifications to the alignment such as those currently under discussion.

You need to be careful in extrapolating what has run on the IOWSR to the rest of the island railways. For starters the IOWSR lacks a tunnel or a weight restricted pier.

Back in the 1960s BR was not in a position to spend a fortune on new builds or indeed invest in significant infrastructure alterations. Indeed initially the plans were to fit the tube stock with Diesel engines, but it soon transpired this conversation would be much more expensive than slapping down some con rail (that could be bought as part of the much bigger Bournemouth scheme). It’s notable that apart from electrification, most of the rest of the infrastructure was left exactly as it was in steam days - hence the requirement for electric trains arriving at Shanklin to use a retained stub of the closed Ventnor line to shunt back into the other platform to depart back to Ryde.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 8 February 2020 at 14:54, keefer said:

So the clearance issues are more to do with the end/centre throw of longer vehicles, rather than just a case of 'too big' dimensionally?

(Apologies if this has been covered further back in the thread)

Apparently, yes.  My understanding is that curvature of the tunnel is a greater restriction than the height clearance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Zomboid said:

How much use will the snow ploughs get?

I don't think they are snow ploughs, I think they are obstacle deflectors?

Best

Scott

EDIT: 

From this article https://www.railmagazine.com/trains/current-trains/vivarail-s-grand-designs :

'Safety is an important aspect both for Bates and Vivarail Chairman Adrian Shooter. There is no regulation that says the D-train will need additional strengthening, because the D78-Stock is already approved to run on the railway (so the new train benefits from its ‘grandfather rights’). But Shooter says that the team has still chosen to do it:

“We looked at what the actual risks are at level crossings over the last ten years or so, and we’re protecting the driver and anyone else that’s in the cab against those risks.”

Bates elaborates: “We’re re-engineering the front end to improve the survivability of the space. We’re putting an obstacle deflector down below - we’ve done the research into the number of accidents that this train is likely to be at risk from (mainly on level crossings and rural environments).'

Edited by scottystitch
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Worth noting that this weekend they are lowering the Down line under Smallbrook Lane, having done the same for the Up under Rink Road in Ryde last weekend - that should address the two tightest spots on the line for headroom and allow the 484s to start testing in the coming months.

2033129716_IMG_0346-Copy.JPG.9aa1bc8a327c5347248a2bfa5ce5cdc1.JPG1328119337_IMG_0344-Copy.JPG.bca90dc490789cd621425f77140bd340.JPG1961149966_IMG_0351-Copy.JPG.505e33466b4d4ce0b0b8ab7212245893.JPG

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

Most uncommonly for a TOC during theser works SWR (Island Line) is providing rail-replacement buses to and from a heritage railway location.  Buses operate Ryde (Esplanade - Bus Station) to Havenstreet for those wishing to visit the IoWSR.  Buses cannot access Smallbrook Junction which is the normal point of interchange.  Passengers holding tickets to Smallbrook Junction will be conveyed instead to and from Havenstreet.  

Buses also operate Ryde - Shanklin not serving Pier Head or Smallbrook.  Taxis operate along Ryde Pier which cannot accommodate buses.  For the first weekend a train shuttle operated Pier Head - Esplanade but with work now taking place in Ryde this is no longer possible.  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

33 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Most uncommonly for a TOC during theser works SWR (Island Line) is providing rail-replacement buses to and from a heritage railway location.  Buses operate Ryde (Esplanade - Bus Station) to Havenstreet for those wishing to visit the IoWSR.  Buses cannot access Smallbrook Junction which is the normal point of interchange.  Passengers holding tickets to Smallbrook Junction will be conveyed instead to and from Havenstreet.  

Buses also operate Ryde - Shanklin not serving Pier Head or Smallbrook.  Taxis operate along Ryde Pier which cannot accommodate buses.  For the first weekend a train shuttle operated Pier Head - Esplanade but with work now taking place in Ryde this is no longer possible.  

They are supposed to be using mini-buses to connect with Ryde Pierhead, according to the release?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Will the steam railway still be running all the way to Smallbrook? I presume Havenstreet was chosen as it is easier for buses to access than the other stations closer to Smallbrook.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Will the steam railway still be running all the way to Smallbrook? I presume Havenstreet was chosen as it is easier for buses to access than the other stations closer to Smallbrook.

Smallbrook Junction - No Road or footpath access

Ashey - Footpath only

Havenstreet - Access for Minibuses EDIT: Access for buses

Wootton - Bus access but futher away than Havenstreet

Edited by Chris116
Better information from Gwiwer.
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

For the first weekend a train shuttle operated Pier Head - Esplanade but with work now taking place in Ryde this is no longer possible.  

I'm sure I saw both 006 and 008 at St Johns and the track relaying would surely have meant no power supply?

Edited by Christopher125
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/08/2020 at 11:25, scottystitch said:

“We looked at what the actual risks are at level crossings over the last ten years or so, and we’re protecting the driver and anyone else that’s in the cab against those risks.”

Bates elaborates: “We’re re-engineering the front end to improve the survivability of the space. We’re putting an obstacle deflector down below - we’ve done the research into the number of accidents that this train is likely to be at risk from (mainly on level crossings and rural environments).'

The rural environment bit is probably more useful on the Island Line - lots of trees that could drop branches onto the line, wheras there's no level crossings (at least no public road ones, I think there's a couple of occupation/footpath crossings)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Christopher125 said:

I'm sure I saw both 006 and 008 at St Johns and the track relaying would surely have meant no power supply?

The substation at Ryde is at the Southern end of the platform at Ryde St John's, next to the signal box. So any track relaying between there and Esplanade would mean no power to the pier.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Chris116 said:

Havenstreet - Access for Minibuses

Havenstreet is accessible by full-size buses.  The former Southern Vectis route 3 which linked Ryde and Newport that way was often run by double-deckers.  

17 hours ago, Mike Storey said:

They are supposed to be using mini-buses to connect with Ryde Pierhead, according to the release?

7-seater taxis as I understand it.  There is a weight and size limit on the pier.  It once accommodated 16-seat minibuses (Southern Vectis briefly experimented with peak-time bus services from Pier Head direct to the suburbs of Ryde and Newport for commuters using Ford Transit vehicles but they were little-used and lasted barely a year) but I believe no longer does.  Always happy to be corrected if required.

13 hours ago, Christopher125 said:

All units would be located at St. Johns when the power is off.  The entire line was off-supply for the past weekend as work was taking place at several locations.  

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 24/08/2020 at 15:24, Gwiwer said:

All units would be located at St. Johns when the power is off.  The entire line was off-supply for the past weekend as work was taking place at several locations.  

That's why I was surprised you mentioned a Pier Head-Esplanade shuttle for the first closure?

Anyways, last weekends Smallbrook Lane gauging work looks complete - some nice new track and ballast on the Down Line under the bridge ready for the 484s to start overnight testing in the coming months. Shame about the signal/points failure on Monday morning though...

553052864_IMG_0362-Copy.JPG.ef09e7b671d592503a630c3828f55b83.JPG

1224617245_IMG_0359-Copy-Copy.JPG.245523e7d2b9461e983c415e436f3165.JPG

Edited by Christopher125
  • Like 5

• 2 months later...