IoW light rail conversion proposed

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Zomboid said:

But if the bus runs every 10 minutes, to how many people would use the train at lower frequency and with their origins and destinations probably further from the stations than they are a bus stop?

Certainly the bus provision on the island at present suggests that there's enough demand on the Ryde - Newport - Cowes routes that a train service might be well loaded, but with the fixed infrastructure costs and no other users to contribute to them it might not actually work out to be economically viable.

One at least, according to the previous post...

Boom boom!

Not Basil

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Zomboid said:

But if the bus runs every 10 minutes, to how many people would use the train at lower frequency and with their origins and destinations probably further from the stations than they are a bus stop?

Certainly the bus provision on the island at present suggests that there's enough demand on the Ryde - Newport - Cowes routes that a train service might be well loaded, but with the fixed infrastructure costs and no other users to contribute to them it might not actually work out to be economically viable.

I don't disagree with your thinking, but traffic levels between Cowes and Newport are horrendous at times. My "if only" comment was to wonder whether rail would have offered an alternative and viable public transport option in more recent times, but that's something we'll never know. As I've said before, it's no accident that the two busiest bus services on the island are those that parallel former rail routes.

Edited by Trevellan
Clarification.
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

If you presented that formation on a layout at a show, you would be laughed out of the room!  But then you present your 'I think you will find...' card....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

16 hours ago, Christopher125 said:

Interesting video this showing a steam-hauled clearance run through Platform 2 at Brading, might be worth trying again at this rate...

Wow!  There’s quite a few photos of that test around but I had no idea there was actual moving footage!  Brilliant!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, John M Upton said:

If you presented that formation on a layout at a show, you would be laughed out of the room!  But then you present your 'I think you will find...' card....

I don’t know if he’s on RMWeb but there’s a modeller called Mark Pretious who has modelled that very train.

• Like 2

Brilliant footage! Many thanks. Going OT for a bit, it reminds me of when we were about to start running Mark IV's to Skipton, and ..... oops. We had to have three gangs out the previous weekend with angle grinders.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Chris116 said:

It says sold on 11 May 2021!

Any idea who the seller is? They don’t seem to have any other items. It looks like a scrapyard environment but I notice it says ‘restoration can be arranged at cost.’ So potentially another carriage is preserved? Edit: I thought 483002 had already been scrapped though?

In some ways 483002 may be a better basis for a static restoration to LU condition - static restoration would make the mechanical condition less relevant and the fact that it’s been a spares donor means some of the IoW-specific fittings may already have been removed. I’m sure there’s at least one preserved tube train carriage that’s been beautifully restored to mostly original condition but is now displayed in a private garden and used as a summerhouse so I suppose it could end up being used for something like that.

Edited by 009 micro modeller
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

A colour pic of the test train.

image.png.e355084868587f13c20b045fb584d73e.png

The identity of the match wagon is not known.

I'm surprised the origin of van hasn't been identified as the horizontal boarding is quite distinctive.

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I'm surprised the origin of van hasn't been identified as the horizontal boarding is quite distinctive.

It was one of the LBSCR vans that were used for luggage on the Island. Most likely a D1433 or D1436. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Any idea who the seller is? They don’t seem to have any other items. It looks like a scrapyard environment but I notice it says ‘restoration can be arranged at cost.’ So potentially another carriage is preserved? Edit: I thought 483002 had already been scrapped though?

I suspect it was sold to a scrap yard and reported as scrapped by people who added 2 and 2 together and came to the wrong answer. The scrap yard have done a Barry with it and are even hoping to make some extra cash by helping with restoration. The other alternative is that it is a hoax!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

SWR were offering carriages free to a good home, so someone shelling out £32k for a rusted-through shell seems... unlikely.

Anyway, the temporary footbridge is now going up at Brading so the old one can be sorted out - quite why it's needed with a foot crossing and no trains for many months is hard to understand, but the views should great....

51175434549_2f261b25d0_z.jpg

Brading by Chris, on Flickr

Edited by Christopher125
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Christopher125 said:

SWR were offering carriages free to a good home, so someone shelling out £32k for a rusted-through shell seems... unlikely.

Anyway, the temporary footbridge is now going up at Brading so the old one can be sorted out - quite why it's needed with a foot crossing and no trains for many months is hard to understand, but the views should great....

51175434549_2f261b25d0_z.jpg

Brading by Chris, on Flickr

Ah yes, but we don't know how long it will take for the old one to be re-vamped to its new purpose. I say this because there is still work going on at Pier Head and St Johns (on the previous contract), and quite substantial in the case of the former, when the railway should have been opening about now.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mike Storey said:

Ah yes, but we don't know how long it will take for the old one to be re-vamped to its new purpose. I say this because there is still work going on at Pier Head and St Johns (on the previous contract), and quite substantial in the case of the former, when the railway should have been opening about now.

True, but why would it matter? Passengers can just use the foot crossing at the other end, which they'll probably prefer to this temporary one anyway. The whole thing is bizarre.

• Like 2

I think that if you proposed replacing a bridge with a level crossing you'd get laughed out of the safety review panel committee, or whatever body makes those decisions. You wouldn't have much of a leg to stand on at the hindsight reviews if something did go wrong and someone got hurt.

Plus the line is not closed. There may be no timetabled passenger trains, but RRVs or training/ test runs of the 484s could come though at any time, unannounced.

Edited by Zomboid
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1