Bachmann 2016 Announcements

Andy Y

IN THE TOOL ROOM

The following items have now progressed to the tool room:

Mark 2F Coaches (including DBSO)

Yay, the DBSO lives!!!   My Scotrail Class 47 may yet have something to haul!!

Beyond that, i didn't see a whole lot in the new products that interest me, still waiting on a Caley Jumbo 0-6-0 to be announced, one of these years!!

-Stephen

• RMweb Premium

That is pretty astonishing - I always assumed that late crest was the most popular livery for steam, because it means you can mix steam & diesel.

Since it has become increasingly apparent recently that our hobby isn't an easy way to make money, I find it astonishing that popular liveries are held back, presumably to try & tempt us to buy versions of new items that we wouldn't normally buy. These days I thought they wanted our cash as fast as they could get it?!

Whats the saying, oh yes "Assumption is the mother of all screw ups"

Personally I have no interest in BR late crest, or the desire to recreate the 50s / 60s in miniature - but I don't feel the need to whinge about it on here, nor do I 'assume' that because historically, BR liveries have sold well that such a situation will continue in future.

Out of everything on Bachmanns list, for me the E4s and SDJR 7Fs are the items mist likely to cause me to open my wallet.

It beggers belief that with plenty of Crimson and Cream Porthole coaches still on the shelf in my local model shops (i.e. indicating that demand has been satisfied) Bachmann would announce more C&C Porthole coaches, but STILL NO BR Maroon ones.  Doh!

I suspect that the crimson & cream porthole weathered coaches will be reworked on existing remaining stock, as Bachmann has the 5 versions being produced as still available in their stock. I note that the 57' second is not included in the latest versions, which is the only one of the Portholes to have sold out at Bachmann in original pristine c&c livery, which adds to my conclusion that these will be reworked existing stock.

The 455 could have been a basis for class 317, and 318. The 319 could be a basis for 320, 321, 322, 456

That would impact on RevolutioN Trains plans...

I doubt RevolutioN will be unduly bothered. Based on their progress with the Pendolino, I suspect their 321 will be available before the 319 and long before any potential successor.

As an aside, the 319s have worked the WCML for quite a long time. I remember them getting as far as Rugby before the millennium although I can't remember on what service (possibly the Clapham Junction workings).

The new Northern livery will make it suitable for running alongside the Pendolino (not sure about the others) so I think this actually compliments RevolutioN's offerings rather than competing with them. All of a sudden, it is starting to look possible to model something approaching a complete scene.

• RMweb Premium

I for one believe that the announcement of the 319 in N gauge is a significant step. The feedback from manufacturers seemed to suggest multiple units were poor sellers, so to produce a unit (which are by no means universally loved prototypes) is a statement that they are willing to persevere with this. This can only be a good thing for N gauge.

My eye was taken by ;

30-049                 The Permanent Way with Digital Sound

30-130                 Military Manoeuvres

and

30-430                 Capital Commuter

I  GUESS  that the first ("The Permanent Way") will be a train set based on the new crane which is due out. "Military Manoeuvres" will presumably be based on the Warwells with tanks which were announced AGES ago, and the "Capital Commuter" will be delayed, and delayed, and delayed ...............

Amid all the negativity (is it really reasonable to expect manufacturers to produce something to suit every single variety of railway modeller, every year ?)

The negativity stems mostly from the fact that Bachmann is pretty slow... 2 years since the Class 90 was announced and still in the drawing room. 4 years since a Class 158 was announced and still in the drawing room.

Flks can actually learn how to use a 3D software and make their own to a level of detail their require and to a livery they want in a lesser amount of time.

Yep, Connex/Southern's 319s worked on the bottom end of the WCML before the 377s took over.

IMHO I would agree it shouldn't be a problem for RevolutioNs 321 project - assuming that has the support that will be well underway before we hear anything more of the 319, let alone any later announcements that may come. If anything though, should the 321 project not be well enough supported then Bachmann are positioned with many components ready to go...

• RMweb Gold

NSE sense, probably. Economic sense, less so - after all in future years they can produce various Thameslink liveries, Connex livery, Southern livery, London Midland livery, Northern Electrics livery and probably some others I've forgotten, and sell them to people modelling areas from Brighton in the south to Blackpool (eventually) in the north. Try that with a 455.

By the same token they could sell lots of Electrostars in different liveries.

• RMweb Gold

Honestly don't see the point of relating the announcements to an anniversary—by the time the models arrive, the anniversary will be long in the past. Take the 009 Baldwin for instance—announced in time for the 100th anniversary of the start of the war, probably won't be around in time for its end.

As primarily an N gauge modeller, the only new itm of interest here is the late-crest Ivatt 2MT (at last—why not when the first versions were introduced, as they did with the J39?)

• RMweb Gold

I don't understand why they don't release what our American cousins call "multiple road numbers". For example, I could use 4 or 5 2HALs in the same livery but with different unit numbers, to model the 8HAL and 10HAL trains I used to see when going to school in the 1960s.

Bit of a damp squib this.   Basically a couple of re-liveries in 4mm.  Lead times are so long at Bachmann that it seems almost pointless announcing anything.  I was excited at the 24/1 announcement ( 2year ago was it?) but the SLW model - already released - kind of makes that redundant.  I'd love to see more original ac electrics - but at nearly 50 years old will I live long enough to see any ?!?

• RMweb Gold

Honestly don't see the point of relating the announcements to an anniversary—by the time the models arrive, the anniversary will be long in the past. Take the 009 Baldwin for instance—announced in time for the 100th anniversary of the start of the war, probably won't be around in time for its end.

On the basis of Bachman''s usual process pace I reckon the Baldwin should be out almost spot on for the centenary of the first appearance of one in ROD service in the Great War - two centenaries with one engine, there's clever for you.

372-876 Class 319 No. 319382 in Thameslink livery IMAGE COPYRIGHT OF MATT TAYLOR

I cannot see any pictures with this. Does anyone know which Thameslink livery is being proposed? Is it the current (fairly plain) white one with blue doors?

And the chance to have a go at making a 4CAP from 2x 2HAP units.

But only the 11 33xx Caps* can be made from the version that Bachmann are proposing. The other 13 (32xx) were from the earlier version which have significant detail differences where they will most be noticed (roof).

* from the original conversions with the power cars innermost. There were several others converted later with the units reversed (power cars outside).

• RMweb Gold

That is pretty astonishing - I always assumed that late crest was the most popular livery for steam, because it means you can mix steam & diesel.

Since it has become increasingly apparent recently that our hobby isn't an easy way to make money, I find it astonishing that popular liveries are held back, presumably to try & tempt us to buy versions of new items that we wouldn't normally buy. These days I thought they wanted our cash as fast as they could get it?!

Plenty of steam locos carried early emblem alongside diesels - quite a few went for scrap in the early to mid-60s without having ever received the late one.

Of the newly announced stuff, there's (for me) one "maybe" loco, and seven wagons, four definite and three maybe.

Cheap Year.  

Seems like a good range overall. Bit disappointed that the 319 will only be in N scale as I would have definitely bought an 00 scale Northern Rail 319!

It's a shame to see that the 158 and 90 are still only in the drawing room but that can only be expected from Bachmann.

Could definitely see myself picking up the Northern Belle 57 and ATW 150 though!

Archived