W.R. Early 1980s Freight Photos - South Wales Severn Tunnel Junction to Pantyffynnon.

On 05/03/2020 at 15:02, Rivercider said:

Moving further up the valley we come to Pontypridd, where as well as coal trains heading up and down the valley there were also reversals. Coal from the Rhondda Valley destined for Abercwmboi would reverse at Pontypridd, as did the returning empties.

scan0007.jpg.7ff91c859d50654cccffb4fd825f82ce.jpg

A dull photo but one that shows the job goes on, rain or shine. In pouring rain the guard  is just about to uncouple 37282 prior to running around a train of empties from Abercwmboi. 14/11/80

scan0009.jpg.2258624233712b25771ae3247d750430.jpg

On another dull day 37218 has just run-round a train of empties and departs up the Rhondda Valley. By this date I believe only Tymawr and Maerdy collieries were active and rail connected. 3/11/81.

cheers 

This is exactly how I remember 'home' . I grew up in the Rhondda and remember Ty Mawr, Lewis Merthyr  (now the heritage park) and Maerdy collieries all being served by rail.

Almost all the traffic was coal in 16 ton or 21 ton hoppers, and almost always hauled by a 37, although you did occasionally see a 47 on an MGR train being loaded by mechanical shovel at Lewis Merthyr .

I remember the parcels depot in Pontypridd being open, and when I got the tea time train up from Cardiff, you would occasionally pass the parcels train heading down the  valley at Nantgarw... of course it was hauled by a Class 37 .

BTW, 9C85 was one of the headcodes for the Maerdy-Radyr Yard working. 

• Like 2

I am not sure if it lasted into the 1980s, but I remember seeing a lunchtime trip working going up the Rhondda Fawr Valley  (ie the Treherbert line).  It was typically something like a 21 ton coal wagon (double door type), a bogie bolster and a brake van.

I think it was going to the Redpath Dorman Long factory near Treorchy. I have vague memories of it returning down the valley around 2pm

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 9C85 said:

I am not sure if it lasted into the 1980s, but I remember seeing a lunchtime trip working going up the Rhondda Fawr Valley  (ie the Treherbert line).  It was typically something like a 21 ton coal wagon (double door type), a bogie bolster and a brake van.

I think it was going to the Redpath Dorman Long factory near Treorchy. I have vague memories of it returning down the valley around 2pm

Sounds about right time wise for the Treorchy trip to the steel siding although it didn't run everyday but only when there was traffic for it.  Darned if I can remember the Trip number but then it is over 40 years since I worked at Radyr :blink:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Sounds about right time wise for the Treorchy trip to the steel siding although it didn't run everyday but only when there was traffic for it.  Darned if I can remember the Trip number but then it is over 40 years since I worked at Radyr :blink:

9C84 was the Treorchy trip sometimes would put empties off at Tymawr on the way up and pick loaded up on the return working.

• Like 2

My nan's front room overlooked the junction immediately south of Porth station which connected the Maerdy branch to the Treherbert line 

I can still remember the 'beat' of the rail joints when a Cardiff bound DMU would cross over . There was also a trailing catch point immediately before the northbound platform which would 'clang' back shut  after the last axle had passed over.  This point allowed access to the siding in front of the old Rhondda Fach Junction South signal box.

Occasionally I would come home from school to find a grampus wagon had been dropped off in the siding or, if you were really lucky, a couple of track nachines.

I have actually realised how Porth in any era  before the mid 80s would make a good subject for a model.

• Like 1

The RDL works and offices closed in 1978 I think leaving only the coal traffic to the coal yard. The line was singled in March 1981 from Porth to Cwmparc with the signal box closing and the connection replaced by a ground frame. The traffic constraint meant it could be serviced overnight, although i'm not sure for  how much longer trains actually served it as gas was fast becoming the means of heating doing away with coal fires

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I can also just about remember the branch down to Treforest estate from the Cardiff to Pontypridd line at Maesmawr signal box. 

I only ever saw one train on it - a tanker train waiting to climb up from the estate and join the line down to Cardiff . I remember it because, for a change, it had a 47 on it. 

Going past Radyr yard was always interesting.  Guaranteed to see a few 37s, 08s, and the occasional 47. I once saw a Peak looking well out of its comfort zone, and an hour or so later I saw it again heading east through Cardiff Central.  Then it dawned on me that, what is now the city line, allowed access to the east from the RCT Valleys without the need to reverse.

• Like 1

On 18/05/2020 at 19:14, TEDDYBEAR D9521 said:

9C84 was the Treorchy trip also use to put off empties at Tymawr on the way up and pick loaded on the return.

Hello TEDDYBEAR D9521, am I correct in remembering 9C85 as being the Maerdy working? I also remember seeing 9C86

13 hours ago, 9C85 said:

Hello TEDDYBEAR D9521, am I correct in remembering 9C85 as being the Maerdy working? I also remember seeing 9C86

Yes C85 was an Aberdare job also you had a C95 which was a Radyr job both Maerdy jobs. The Aberdare job always run round at Pontypridd for Cwmbach Sidings. There was a time when the wall at the bottom of Pontypridd on Up goods was under repair the trains for Cwmbach run round on the Down Loop at Maesmawr.I remember the workings well being a Relief Signalman working all the boxes at the time,

Edited by TEDDYBEAR D9521
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 18/05/2020 at 12:29, 9C85 said:

T.C. Jones at Cwmparc ? was, I believe the trading name, a R-D-L subsidiary ? and was probably the source of the Bogie Bolster.

The coal wagon(s) were probably from the coal yard at Treorchy which survived quite late.

I picked this photo up from an online auction site some time ago, which shows TC Jones sidings and Cwmparc 'box..

The loco is a Ruston 88DS, but they also had a F.Hibberd 'Planet' which stood in the scrapyard of A.Knill on Barry Dock for a number of years in the 80s.

In my days, early 1970s, 9C70-9C74 were Aberdare based diagrams, and 9C75 - 9C99 were Radyr based, and  it was 9C77 from Radyr, that served T.C. Jones / R-D-L, in the midst of the night, amongst other places.

At that time there could be up to seventeen Canton Cl.37s outbased at Radyr alone, at onetime, that included two Hymeks, and at another time one, maybe two Cl.47s instead of 37s.

9C76 also served the Rhondda, as shown in my other attachment for 1970-1971

This changed as the number of duties / diagrams dwindled.

Brian R

Cwmparc and TC Jones Ltd-undated-Facebook.jpg

South Wales WTT - C77 1970-1971.jpg

South Wales WTT - C76 1970-1971.jpg

Edited by br2975
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, br2975 said:

T.C. Jones at Cwmparc ? was, I believe the trading name, a R-D-L subsidiary ? and was probably the source of the Bogie Bolster.

The coal wagon(s) were probably from the coal yard at Treorchy which survived quite late.

I picked this photo up from an online auction site some time ago, which shows TC Jones sidings and Cwmparc 'box..

The loco is a Ruston 88DS, but they also had a F.Hibberd 'Planet' which stood in the scrapyard of A.Knill on Barry Dock for a number of years in the 80s.

In my days, early 1970s, 9C70-9C74 were Aberdare based diagrams, and 9C75 - 9C99 were Radyr based, and  it was 9C77 from Radyr, that served T.C. Jones / R-D-L, in the midst of the night, amongst other places.

At that time there could be up to seventeen Canton Cl.37s outbased at Radyr alone, at onetime, that included two Hymeks, and at another time one, maybe two Cl.47s instead of 37s.

Brian R

This is fantastic.  As a child, all of my train journeys were down the valley to either Pontypridd or Cardiff. However, one Saturday, I asked my parents if we could get a train up the valley to Treherbert.  Seeing the photo of the works brings back vague memories but I never realised it was so extensive.  When we got to Treherbert, I  think we may have gone for a cuppa in a local café near the station, but we definitely caught the same train back down to Porth. I remember being impressed by the sight of the Bwlch mountain at the top of the valley.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 19/05/2020 at 00:42, 9C85 said:

I can also just about remember the branch down to Treforest estate from the Cardiff to Pontypridd line at Maesmawr signal box. 

I only ever saw one train on it - a tanker train waiting to climb up from the estate and join the line down to Cardiff . I remember it because, for a change, it had a 47 on it. 

Going past Radyr yard was always interesting.  Guaranteed to see a few 37s, 08s, and the occasional 47. I once saw a Peak looking well out of its comfort zone, and an hour or so later I saw it again heading east through Cardiff Central.  Then it dawned on me that, what is now the city line, allowed access to the east from the RCT Valleys without the need to reverse.

Since I first 'bunked' Radyr shed, around late 1965 - the yard and stabling point was the centre of my universe.

It's obviously "an age thing" as I note you "once saw a Peak at Radyr, which looked out of its comfort zone"

In fact, during my 'heyday' Peaks were a daily sight at Radyr, and were from the late 60s when the first regular working was an STJ - Bargoed Pits 'empties' and the Peak returned down the Rhymney Valley and The Big Hill with loaded coal for Penshaw or Middlesbrough (depending on the year).

Over the years I saw examples of diesel Classes 03, 08, 11, 14, 20, 25, 31, 33, 35, 37, 40, 42, 45, 46, 47, 52, 56, 60 and 66 at Radyr, albeit not many of those classes ventured north of Radyr, to Ponty and beyond.

By the early 70s, the WTT (Working Timetable) contained paths for just shy of 300 movements a day past the Radyr Junction / Radyr Quarry 'boxes. Which included freight, light engine, passenger, parcels and trip workings.

4C21 10:10 Cardiff General - Pontypridd Goods arr. 10:48 and 4C21 11:35 Pontypridd Goods - Cardiff General was a parcels working that could  could produce a 25, 31, 35 or 37 in the early to mid-70s, albeit the Cl.31s came later, and infrequently.

In the early 70s the best working of the week was......

0C75 03:45 SuO Radyr Shed - Cardiff General arr.04:08,  2C80 05:05 SuO Cardiff General - Treherbert arr 07:24,  5C09 08:00 SuO  Treherbert - Cardiff Canton ECS,   0Z34 09:20 SuO Cardiff Canton - Radyr Junction ,  0Z34 09:37 SuO Radyr Junction - Radyr Shed  

2C80 was formed of GUV's off the 00:55 ex Paddington, carrying the Sunday papers and they were attached to a BCK that came up on a working from Swansea the previous evening, and worked back on the Monday.

So, if you were in the know, you could get first class compartment from Cardiff - Treherbert early on a Sunday morning.

Sadly, my interest waned for a few years from about 1980, when my kids came along !

Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

8 hours ago, br2975 said:

Since I first 'bunked' Radyr shed, around late 1965 - the yard and stabling point was the centre of my universe.

It's obviously "an age thing" as I note you "once saw a Peak at Radyr, which looked out of its comfort zone"

In fact, during my 'heyday' Peaks were a daily sight at Radyr, and were from the late 60s when the first regular working was an STJ - Bargoed Pits 'empties' and the Peak returned down the Rhymney Valley and The Big Hill with loaded coal for Penshaw or Middlesbrough (depending on the year).

Over the years I saw examples of diesel Classes 03, 08, 11, 14, 20, 25, 31, 33, 35, 37, 40, 42, 45, 46, 47, 52, 56, 60 and 66 at Radyr, albeit not many of those classes ventured north of Radyr, to Ponty and beyond.

By the early 70s, the WTT (Working Timetable) contained paths for just shy of 300 movements a day past the Radyr Junction / Radyr Quarry 'boxes. Which included freight, light engine, passenger, parcels and trip workings.

4C21 10:10 Cardiff General - Pontypridd Goods arr. 10:48 and 4C21 11:35 Pontypridd Goods - Cardiff General was a parcels working that could  could produce a 25, 31, 35 or 37 in the early to mid-70s, albeit the Cl.31s came later, and infrequently.

In the early 70s the best working of the week was......

0C75 03:45 SuO Radyr Shed - Cardiff General arr.04:08,  2C80 05:05 SuO Cardiff General - Treherbert arr 07:24,  5C09 08:00 SuO  Treherbert - Cardiff Canton ECS,   0Z34 09:20 SuO Cardiff Canton - Radyr Junction ,  0Z34 09:37 SuO Radyr Junction - Radyr Shed  

2C80 was formed of GUV's off the 00:55 ex Paddington, carrying the Sunday papers and they were attached to a BCK that came up on a working from Swansea the previous evening, and worked back on the Monday.

So, if you were in the know, you could get first class compartment from Cardiff - Treherbert early on a Sunday morning.

Sadly, my interest waned for a few years from about 1980, when my kids came along !

Brian R

That is really interesting.  I have always thought I was born 10 years too late ;)

11 hours ago, br2975 said:

Brian R

I hadn't realised that a headcode could apply to more than one pair of start/end points  (if you know what I mean?) . From the above, it appears that 9C76 was the diagram for the  loco for the entire day?

23 minutes ago, 9C85 said:

I hadn't realised that a headcode could apply to more than one pair of start/end points  (if you know what I mean?) . From the above, it appears that 9C76 was the diagram for the  loco for the entire day?

That was also the case for the Bristol Division local trip booklets I have from 1975.

Trip No. 1 in each area would be 6/7/8B70 as appropriate, trip No. 2 would be B71, trip No.3 B72 etc

cheers

2 hours ago, 9C85 said:

Radyr was no different from many other such places. There would be several diagrams - which were generally out and back , or started and finished at the same place. As traffic requirements fluctuated, one leg may be dropped one day, or empties dropped off but no outward load. Similarly, the reporting number could change during the diagram, ie the diagram could start as Class 9, but then collect a fitted head and change to Class 8 for the next leg. Radyr also had 2 or 3 “control train” duties, which would work to where traffic dictated, as ordered by “control”. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Rivercider said:

That was also the case for the Bristol Division local trip booklets I have from 1975.

Trip No. 1 in each area would be 6/7/8B70 as appropriate, trip No. 2 would be B71, trip No.3 B72 etc

cheers

Llandeilo Jct had 9B81   9B83 and probably others; some locos seemed to stay on these workings for months on end. 

• Informative/Useful 1

On 23/05/2020 at 11:15, TEDDYBEAR D9521 said:

I remember the workings well being a Relief Signalman working all the boxes at the time,

Did you ever work with a signalman in Porth called Ivor? (We only knew him as Ivor). As kids we used to play on  waste ground near the allotments adjacent to the Maerdy branch at Porth station. Our Arms Park/Wembley/Lords was next to the catch point/sand drag just after the branch starter signal.  Occasionally Ivor would lean out of the 'box window and shout at kids for leaning on the signal wires. I was always too scared of him to ask to look inside the signal box. 

On 28/05/2020 at 19:19, 9C85 said:

Did you ever work with a signalman in Porth called Ivor? (We only knew him as Ivor). As kids we used to play on  waste ground near the allotments adjacent to the Maerdy branch at Porth station. Our Arms Park/Wembley/Lords was next to the catch point/sand drag just after the branch starter signal.  Occasionally Ivor would lean out of the 'box window and shout at kids for leaning on the signal wires. I was always too scared of him to ask to look inside the signal box. 

Yes Ivor Blewitt he worked Rhondda Fach South Box and when it closed in 1981 he retired.

• Thanks 1

On 27/05/2020 at 09:30, 9C85 said:

A lot of diagrams changed again headcodes started to be changled to out and back jobs. So if C76 was for Nantgarw out and back if additional trip was added the headcode would step up.

C77 was Radyr -Lady Windsor out and Back.

C91 was Radyr-Mountain Ash/Aberdare out and-back

These days it’s different again only one headcode one way if there’s a return working it’s a different headcode on the return working.

• RMweb Gold
On 26/05/2020 at 21:21, br2975 said:

T

Brian R

The shiniest and slipperiest signal box floor I have ever encountered was at Cwm Parc - although Hughie Jones (the DI at Pontypridd) warned me about it at the door I put one foot down on the very hastily applied newspaper and slid several feet across the floor although fortunately I remained upright.  Definitely the most home from home signal box I have ever come across because in the early '70's there was only the occasional Treorchy trip plus an hourly service on the Rhondda branch and the two regular Signalmen had plenty of time to spend on cleaning.  And carpet on most of the frame to stop any draughts - a trick very much frowned on by Ray Hawker the S&T Supervisor at Treforest who covered the Cardiff Valleys in those days.

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

The shiniest and slipperiest signal box floor I have ever encountered was at Cwm Parc - although Hughie Jones (the DI at Pontypridd) warned me about it at the door I put one foot down on the very hastily applied newspaper and slid several feet across the floor although fortunately I remained upright.  Definitely the most home from home signal box I have ever come across because in the early '70's there was only the occasional Treorchy trip plus an hourly service on the Rhondda branch and the two regular Signalmen had plenty of time to spend on cleaning.  And carpet on most of the frame to stop any draughts - a trick very much frowned on by Ray Hawker the S&T Supervisor at Treforest who covered the Cardiff Valleys in those days.

Yes you could eat your dinner off the floor in Cwmparc box that’s for sure ,I went there a few times before it closed.

As for Hughie Jones (RIP) the DI what a star turn he was ,Ray Hawker (RIP) was a true gent and was well respected by his men and everyone. Great day’s Mike.

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, TEDDYBEAR D9521 said:

Yes you could eat your dinner off the floor in Cwmparc box that’s for sure ,I went there a few times before it closed.

As for Hughie Jones (RIP) the DI what a star turn he was ,Ray Hawker (RIP) was a true gent and was well respected by his men and everyone. Great day’s Mike.

Hughie was a smashing bloke - no  doubt long gone - and he and I always got along very well.  That paid off because when Les, his Assistant got a job elsewhere (Hereford perhaps?) in 1973 Hughie always had me as first in line to pick up what would have been the Sundays on engineering work etc  that would have gone to Les.  The only rough one I got out of that was a turn at Penarth Curve North seeing various engineering trains in and out of a possession between there and Radyr Quarry and some clown of a tamper driver decided that red signals didn't apply to him and duly ran through some points.  

Mind you Hughie always did his own budget submissions (the only DI in South Wales who could manage it) so he was very careful when it came to coverage and I had one Sunday at Maesmawr where I was supervising three different things at the same time, including a crane, while we were Single Line Working.  But definitely great days and it was in some ways a bit of a wrench going back to England in 1974.

• Like 1