W.R. Early 1980s Freight Photos - South Wales Severn Tunnel Junction to Pantyffynnon.

Nice photos Kevin !

Why did you choose to stop taking photos in 1986 ?

Thanks Rob,

it was a combination of things, until 1985 when I was working in Bristol TOPS I had a midweek rest day each week to use,

or if I was on a late turn 14.00-22.00 I sometimes went to one of the local yards or over to Newport to take photos in the morning before going to work in the afternoon, I could then also check what I had seen earlier.

From 1985-1988 I then worked at WR HQ at Swindon 08.00-16.00 SX which involved more travelling time from Weston,

so little free time midweek to photo freight trains. At weekends I was going down to Exeter on saturdays to watch football.

Also I did not really like the new freight liveries that were introduced and what I saw as some of the nonsense and wastefulness

of sectorisation.

That and beer drinking!

I regret stopping now, but hindsight is a wonderful thing

cheers 

Edited by Rivercider

Thanks Rob,

it was a combination of things, until 1985 when I was working in Bristol TOPS I had a midweek rest day each week to use,

or if I was on a late turn 14.00-22.00 I sometimes went over to Newport to take photos in the morning.

From 1985-1988 I then worked at WR HQ at Swindon 08.00-16.00 SX which involved more travelling time from Weston,

so little free time midweek to photo freight trains. At weekends I was going down to Exeter on saturdays to watch football.

Also I did not really like the new freight liveries that were introduced and what I saw as some of the nonsense and wastefuless

of sectorisation.

That and beer drinking!

I regret stopping now, but hindsight is a wonderful thing

cheers

Well, I can see how anyone brought up on Br blue maybe wouldn't like the brash new greys and the stupidity of sectorisation, with its somewhat restrictive loco use.

That's also quite a commute , we live in Swindon now but frequently got to Weston as the in laws have a flat there.

I wouldn't want to do it every day though !

• RMweb Gold

Wonderful memories Kevin, I spent many a Sunday afternoon in the 1970s cycling to STJ.

Thanks for posting, hitting like for every post just didn't seem enough.

The staff there were very helpful to us Bristol kids, and often would accept our requests for loco locations on TOPS. The place had a wonderful quietness with lines of silent locos on a Sunday. Those Sunday's have long since gone, quiet traffic and all the shops shut!

Neil

• Like 3

Here is a later view of the loco depot at Severn Tunnel Junction with a selection of class 37s on view

post-7081-0-02097100-1458834983_thumb.jpg

From the left 37501, 37167, 37187 all Cardiff Canton allocated and 37101 of Gateshead, 25/9/86

cheers

• Like 10

To give an idea as to the importance of Severn Tunnel Junction to the Speedlink Network

the List of Trains run in Connection with Speedlink Services  as from 17th May 1982 includes

the following serices that call start or finish at Severn Tunnel Junction each weekday

Route 1 'South Wales - Dover'

3 westbound, 2 eastbound

Route 2 'South Wales - Doncaster'

2 southbound, 2 northbound

Route 3 'South Wales - Tees/Tyne'

1 southbound, 1 northbound 

Route 4 'South Wales - Mossend'

4 southbound, 4 northbound

Route 10 'South Wales - Harwich'

1 eastbound, 1 westbound

Also the there were the following Western Region Speedlink trips including many to and from Severn Tunnel Junction

post-7081-0-19766300-1458836515_thumb.jpg

cheers

• Like 4

Interesting stuff.

I see the princes risborough - Aylesbury was a WR turn, although this was often a class 25 - strange.

And the local Maidenhead trip to pick up ford lorries - it was only recently I learnt what those sidings were for

Moving westwards we come to Undy Yard on the up side to the north of the main lines.

This was the reception yard for the up hump, and when hump shunting ceased was used for

some of the Speedlink marshalling, and the Oakdale to Scunthorpe MGR train was often stabled here. 

post-7081-0-20075200-1459182966_thumb.jpg

A view from the west end of Undy Yard looking east, the Oakdale - Scunthorpe MGR set is on the left

in the distance 33026 can be seen approaching on a service for Cardiff, 25/9/86.

post-7081-0-34556200-1459184169_thumb.jpg

Another view of Undy Yard, this time the sidings nearest the main line,

on the right, which I think was no.1 road a Speedlink service has just arrived

6C42 15.55 Cardiff Tidal to Severn Tunnel Junction hauled by an unidentified 47

as usual includes coiled wire and at the rear reinforcing steel rods loaded on BDAs, 25/9/86

cheers 

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 14

Turning the other way and looking west we see a train arriving at Undy 

post-7081-0-67105800-1459185882_thumb.jpg

6C36 Llanwern - Swindon Speedlink service behind 37237 arrives to detach and attach in the yard at Severn Tunnel Junction,

the train regularly included coil for the Rover Group car body plant at Swindon, 25/9/86

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 9

Sorry, just catching up with this excellent thread: in picture 3 of post 3, it seems very late to see a GW (verandah) style brake van?     And what sort of comments would you get at a show if you had a Shark ballast brake coupled to a Cargowagon ;-)  

Bill

Sorry, just catching up with this excellent thread: in picture 3 of post 3, it seems very late to see a GW (verandah) style brake van?     And what sort of comments would you get at a show if you had a Shark ballast brake coupled to a Cargowagon ;-)  

Bill

The 'Toad' was almost certainly in engineer's service. I don't know about the Shark and the Cargowaggon, but the 'van next to the Shark looks as though it might be a SR one?

The 'Toad' was almost certainly in engineer's service. I don't know about the Shark and the Cargowaggon, but the 'van next to the Shark looks as though it might be a SR one?

Looking at those yard views of STJ there are all sorts of wagons in the background,

does this closer view help?

post-7081-0-84329500-1459192233_thumb.jpg

cheers

• Like 6

And what sort of comments would you get at a show if you had a Shark ballast brake coupled to a Cargowagon ;-)

Well, some 25 years after Kevin's visits, and only a few miles 'down' the same line, we come to:-

http://transportmedia.smugmug.com/Trains/FEB2013/i-5kHVDfW/A

http://transportmedia.smugmug.com/Trains/FEB2013/i-4VFJBb5/A

Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Like 3

Well, some 25 years after Kevin's visits, and only a few miles 'down' the same line, we come to:-

http://transportmedia.smugmug.com/Trains/FEB2013/i-5kHVDfW/A

http://transportmedia.smugmug.com/Trains/FEB2013/i-4VFJBb5/A

Brian R

Blimey I don't remember East Usk looking like that, where did those weeds come from, and what happened to the signal box?

Next you will be telling me that Somerton Park no longer exists!

cheers

Blimey I don't remember East Usk looking like that, where did those weeds come from, and what happened to the signal box?

The signal box fell victim to an arson attack several years ago.

About the time EWS were considering using East Usk as a stabling point.... possibly the fate of the 'box swayed their decision making.

Next you will be telling me that Somerton Park no longer exists!

A-ah my 'second team' after CCFC.

Well, after they went t*ts up, the reformed club had to play over the border, hence their current nickname 'the exiles'.

On their return to the Welsh fold, they played at Spytty Park before moving to the quagmnire that is Rodney Parade; their present home.

My memories of standing on 'The Social Side' at Somerton Park to watch such delights as a 4-4 draw with 'the cobblers' many years ago, and following 'the County' (they'll always be 'the County') to Hereford one season and being squeezed into the market end of Edgar St. with some 15,000 other souls would have modern day safety officers fainting !

And no, Somerton Park no longer exists Kevin.

Edited by br2975
  • Like 2

The signal box fell victim to an arson attack several years ago.

About the time EWS were considering using East Usk as a stabling point.... possibly the fate of the 'box swayed their decision making.

And no, Somerton Park no longer exists Kevin.

Thanks Brian,

actually I have followed the fall, and rise, of Newport County so know something of their struggles and travels,

it is always good to see a team return.

They have played my 'second team' Weston-super-Mare a few times in Conference South  on their way back.

When we get to East Usk with my photos it will be 21t mins and 21t hoppers instead of weeds,

cheers

• Like 1

When we get to East Usk with my photos it will be 21t mins and 21t hoppers instead of weeds,

A-ha mineral wagons at E.U. ...........

A certain "Stationmaster" once put me onto traffic reorganisation in South Wales at the very end of the 60s, turn of the 70s.

I then did some digging and found that all empty mineral wagons entering South Wales were received at either East Usk Yard or Jersey Marine, from where they were tripped as required to either yards (e.g. Radyr) or collieries.

Empty coke hoppers were directed to Radyr, for distribution to Nantgarw, or Llantrisant (for Cwm and Coed Ely).

I could go on, perhaps I ought to post (seperately) what I found from my 'research'.

Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This thread is fascinating,  but I am struggling a bit with the layout of STJ.  Can anyone point me in the direction of a diagram or map showing the various yards?

Cheers

Alastair

The best source for detail would be Volume 38 of Tony Cooke's 'Track Layout Diagrams of the GR and BR Western Region' but it is long out of print although it could turn up at a  secondhand dealer etc.  There is  nice, simplified, diagram in the Middleton press volume 'Gloucester to Cardiff' but it is for 1931so is pre hump yards.  The same publisher's \Swindon to Newport' volume has an even older (1918) map.

The next best source - and the best for the final arrangement of the yards is this thread read from the very beginning as it gives quite a good coverage overall but alas no map.  None of the most relevant signalling notices are available on the internet. 

This thread is fascinating,  but I am struggling a bit with the layout of STJ.  Can anyone point me in the direction of a diagram or map showing the various yards?

Cheers

Alastair

Alastair

If you can lay your hands on this there are a couple of 'line' diagrams showing the basic layout at STJ.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/illustrated-history-British-Marshalling-FOULIS-OPC/dp/0860933679

Brian R