Can anyone identify the location

I bought a painting in the boot sale for £3. It's rather nice but I'm still not quite sure of the location, especially given a 14xx (or maybe the non fitted variant) pulling a pair of non auto GWR coaches.

Anyone got any ideas ? No idea on the painter either as there's no visible signature - but it's a nice £3 !

post-6740-0-61311600-1457036462_thumb.jpg

jonny777: well well well it's a Breckon painting - signed just under the edge of the frame.

And thanks - I'd never heard of Breckon before (yes this no doubt makes me an oik) and while I certainly can't afford any of his originals except in boot sales I shall keep my eye out for some of his cheaper non limited edition prints because they are wonderful pictures.

Stubby: could be FY - need to put it under a bright light and get my glasses out to check 8) -it's only about 9" x 7" so the detail is very small and fine.

Alan

• RMweb Gold

The title is "The train to Fowey" and Don's descripion of it was "The train from Lostwithiel to Fowey approaches Golant beside the tidal estuary of the River Fowey."

I am a big fan of Don and own three of his pics and a book of his work. Sadly in looking out the answer I discovered that he passed away in 2013. Also the Barbican Gallery wbere i discovered him seems to be gone too.

The title is "The train to Fowey" and Don's descripion of it was "The train from Lostwithiel to Fowey approaches Golant beside the tidal estuary of the River Fowey."

I am a big fan of Don and own three of his pics and a book of his work. Sadly in looking out the answer I discovered that he passed away in 2013. Also the Barbican Gallery wbere i discovered him seems to be gone too.

Thanks Colin.

I had no idea he was no longer with us.  As you say - a great painter.

I have a couple of large-ish (3' x 2'6") signed prints of his paintings which he did for the Dumbleton Hall Preservation Society as part of the fund raising effort to bring 4920 and 3803 back to life in the 1980s.

Archived