Ferme du Pont ~ WDLR 1918 ~ 0-14

robb1090

Most impressive - both in terms of execution an choice of subject. I've only seen a couple of similarly themed layouts (both 4mm) before, but this already appears to be setting a new standard.

I'll watch this develop with great interest - crack on chaps!

Thanks,

There has been a fair bit of experimentation to get things to look 'right' and a lot of examining every photo we can get our hands on.

My next major project is a lightly damaged barn based on this one in Barastre, France:

http://cas.awm.gov.au/item/A02534

It will go at the left hand end of the layout between the ends of the two timber bridges to hide the sector plate.

Although since I intend to build a full frame and then clad it, it will take quite a long time, (it also needs to be removable for transport,)

As an example, the timber retaining wall took 2 full days to build and install in panels.

Mike

Love what you're doing with this. The WDLR is a fascinating subject and I've read and re-read the Plateway Press books many times. I've only built a few bits and bobs in 009 (Simplex, D and E class wagons etc,) but what your're doing is going to look great. Look forward to seeing further progress.

Patrick

• RMweb Gold

Looking good, Had another look at the barn photo and shown it to my Dad, we both think the roof could have been vertical planks with a felt & tar covering. (Definitely not Daves 'wriggly tin' ) EDIT, please excuse, continuation of discussion at club last night.

Looked on Google maps all around Barastre and can't even find the river, could the photo be captioned wrong?

Great bit of film 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3s01i3aa7w

Edited to replace the film link which stopped working.

Edited by Worsdell forever
  • Like 1

Looked on Google maps all around Barastre and can't even find the river, could the photo be captioned wrong?

Hi Paul,

I've had a look as well and I have to agree, the caption must be wrong, maybe to deceive spies!

(it was taken in wartime after all)

Mike

• 1 month later...

Hi,

After another day working on the layout at the weekend, the sector plate now has brass tubing and rod installed to align the tracks, more of the wiring is complete and Ben has been fitting yet more track spikes.

I spent the day (and most of Sunday) building the frame for the timber shed to hide the sector plate entrance.

post-6837-0-34420700-1297717467_thumb.jpg

post-6837-0-59203400-1297717510_thumb.jpg

post-6837-0-76320900-1297717551_thumb.jpg

It is based on the barn in the photo discussed above and has an angled rear corner to allow the sector plate to move, this bit won't be seen as the building will be at an angle.

The frame is entirely built out of 3 x 3mm limewood pinned and glued together and will be clad with 4 x 1mm planking.

It measures approximately 360 (L) x 175 (W) x 180mm (H).

Once I've weathered the frame and the stripwood for the planks, the cladding can begin.

The roof will be made out of 0.8mm ply which I think I'll cover in fine wet & dry to represent felt.

The corner nearest the camera will be have the planking lightly damaged, similar to the photo of the real building, to replicate a near miss.

Some of the buildings at the other end of the layout will be more heavily shelled.

Mike

• Like 3

Nice bit of work there Mike, how long before it gets filled with hedgehogs? biggrin.gif

Thanks Paul,

The rate we're going, probably not that long before its housing a rehabilitating hedgehog.

Although none of the openings are wide enough to fit one through so it might get by ok.

I think I've achieved a decent colour for old treated timber on a small test piece using washes of thinned frame dirt and grey paint, I'll be bringing it along tomorrow night.

Mike

• 7 months later...

Hi Guys,

I've only just stumbled across this thread (seems a story of my life). This looks a superb layout in the making and Mike I love the O14 loco building info on your multiscale thread. Is there any more news on this layout?

I would love to feature this on the O14 group website: http://www.o14group.org/ I'd be happy to do it for you if you can send or point me towards any pics.

John C

Sorry I only just found this thread

There are some interesting photos that may help with locos & rolling stock at the Australian War Memorial Site (www.awm.gov.au) eg http://cas.awm.gov.au/item/C01365 which shows an overturned petrol electric "tractor" .

The search I used to find this photo resolved to this url http://www.awm.gov.a...e&submit=Search

Edited by grasshopper

Hi guys,

Thanks, we are gradually working on the layout, unfortunately we haven't taken any photos recently as there hasn't been too much progress that would show up in photos.

I managed to just about finish a 3 way point for one of the fiddle yards yesterday, and a lot of the trackwork is now almost complete.

It would be good to have something on the O14 site, most of the photos we have are on this thread, but I'm sure we can sort something out between the 3 of us.

Thanks for posting the photo links, that has proved to be a very useful site whilst planning and building the layout, as has the imperial war museum site.

Hopefully it will all be running soon.

Cheers

Mike

• 5 months later...

Hi - I'm really interested to see this layout!

My main passion is WDLR equipment & rolling stock - based at the Moseley Railway Trust, we've now restored WW1 20 & 40hp Simplex locos, a Class H watertank & 2 Class D (currently finishing them). There are more vehicles to come. It may be of interest, that contrary to popular belief, during the restorations we have determined that the Class D - H stock (& probably others) were originally built/finished in "Battleship" grey - there was also anecdotal evidence of this in notes written at the time. More recently I have found that the lettering on the vehicles should be a yellow & not white (I'll have to re-do this on our Water Tank - as we initially gave it white lettering). The grey we have used on our wagons was matched from original surviving paintwork.

The Watertanks were the only vehicles I know of, to have received some form of camouflage - this was applied in the battlefield. Presumably the galvanised finish of the tanks when supplied made too much of a target for enemy snipers/field guns!

The Petrol tractors were all variants of "Olive Drab" - our 40hp Protected was matched to original paint found during the restoration.

You can see more of our work at www.mrt.org.uk or via my own WW1 website - www.wdlr.org.uk

We are planning a large WW1 themed event in September 2014 - I would be very interested to invite this layout to attend please!

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Gareth

We are planning a large WW1 themed event in September 2014 - I would be very interested to invite this layout to attend please!

Thanks Gareth, we are fairly sure on the loco's, the colours seem well documented for those.

When you say the wagons were originally delivered in grey, does that rule out any repaints in drab?

Fortunately we only have a couple of wagons painted between us, so painting the rest (or all of them) either grey or drab isn't a problem.

We should* be able to make a 2014 deadline!

* Barring events outside our control!

Thanks for the interest in the layout, we are aiming to have another meet up next week to hopefully progress things a bit, there should be some sort of update soon(ish) after.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

It is possible that some wagons got an Olive drab at some point - if you look through the historical photos, there are some wagons that have a different numbering style (some class "D", seem to have a "V" on the sides), lack of WD symbol etc. I'd guess that these might be green ones.

I don't think it can be many though - these types of wagons start to appear during late 1916/1917 & the war ended in Nov 1918

The Lincs coast guys have also restored their WD stock to the "Battleship" grey colours. I'm sure that there were colour variations with this. There was no such thing as a standard RAL/ISO type colour chart in those days!

Please can you PM me with your e-mail address & I'll get some details to you about our 2014 event (second weekend - September 2014)

Thanks,

Gareth

• 8 months later...

A bit of an update

We've got track working on the 2 main scenic boards!

These short videos show our first tests with my Hunslet 4-6-0.

There is a small amount of track still to be laid up to the sector plate, then 3 of 4 boards should be working!

This is an overall shot of the layout

post-6837-0-32714000-1354391490.jpg

And a few detail photos

post-6837-0-11189400-1354391559.jpg

post-6837-0-07535200-1354391571.jpg

post-6837-0-77057500-1354391588.jpg

post-6837-0-38505900-1354391610.jpg

Cheers

Mike

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Hi Mike,

That's looking really good!

There is an outside chance that Hunslet #303 (based at Apedale) might be ready for the major "Tracks to the Trenches - 2014" event at Apedale - if the boiler funding gets resolved.

We now have an event specific website - www.ww1-event.org

There are a good number of WW1/military/post-war WD related layouts invited, provisionally booked etc. We are always keen to hear of more.

Hopefully we'll release the layout listing soon.

Best regards,

Gareth

• 4 weeks later...
Where are you sourcing figures from?

J

Very interesting project. I am considering a similar project depicting the US 12th Engineers at the Battle of Cambrai.

I saw photos of Great War military figures in numerous different poses on the 7mm Assoc web site, but have not been able to determine who makes and or sells them. Can someone point me to a website or mail address for them?

Thanks,

Bernard Kempinski

Alexandria, Virginia, USA

It might be PLM castaways

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/suppliers/40796-PLM_Cast_A_Ways

We have a few of their figures.

Whereabouts on the 7mm Assoc. website did you see them?

Cheers

Mike

It was on their 2010 Gallery. Here is a link to one of the images showing the figures on display - both painted and unpainted on a flat black board with labels.

http://7mmnga.org.uk/gallery_images/2010/IMG_2284.jpg

Bernard Kempinski

Alexandria, Virginia