Ferme du Pont ~ WDLR 1918 ~ 0-14

robb1090

Welcome to the thread following the construction of our new 7mm scale, 0-14 gauge layout, set in the trenches of the western front during the First World War. We hope you enjoy what you find here and we welcome your comments.

A Background History to the Layout

The Battle of the Somme in 1916 had pushed the British supply system to breaking point. Without adequate food or ammunition the army could not fight effectively, so to solve this problem, a network of tactical light railways were constructed to haul supplies to the front line. These lines were known as the War Department Light Railways and were of 60cm gauge. They were constructed and operated by the Royal Engineers.

In 1917 the 35th Light Railway Operating Company was formed in France from railwaymen combed out of other units. The company consisted of 3 officers and 262 men, whose job was to man the trains, traffic control posts and marshalling yards along their section of railway. Although the company was under the command of a captain, detachments were often sent to operate outlying parts of the system where they were left to their own devices out of necessity. Upon arrival in France, the company was sent to the area north of Arras. It is part of the railway under their control that the layout represents.

In this area the mainline ran approximately north-south, parallel to the front line trenches but about 8 miles behind them. The section of line depicted by the layout is centred on the control point at Ferme du Pont (Bridge Farm). Here a branch line leaves the mainline to head up towards the front to serve the artillery and supply dumps of the British First Army. A pair of loops are provided at the control point to allow the splitting and marshalling of trains before they head down the branch. As well as these loops there is also a short siding serving a small jetty on the canal for the Inland Waterways Transport barges. These barges, actually RE pontoons, were used to transport supplies in the local area where the roads were impassable.

Although the layout is set in a fictional location and the 35th Light Railway Operating Company never existed, the historical events are real. The layout is inspired by the plights of the Light Railway Operating Companies on the Western Front and the often highly dangerous work they undertook.

post-7463-126773642059_thumb.jpg

Edited by robb1090
  • Like 8

What will you be using for the basis of the simplex locos? Will they be other locos modified or scratchbuilt.

I saw the salvage squad program about one of these locos (ironically one that never made it to the western front) and will follow this layout with interest.

Kev

What will you be using for the basis of the simplex locos? Will they be other locos modified or scratchbuilt.

I saw the salvage squad program about one of these locos (ironically one that never made it to the western front) and will follow this layout with interest.

Kev

Or the Wrightlines kit? I think these are available from ABS again?

Adam

We are using a mixture of white metal 40hp simplex kits from Wrightlines and etched brass 20hp simplex kits from Nigel Lawton. The 20hp simplex kit was originally produced in 4mm scale but Nigel agreed to produce a 7mm scale version for us. Since then he has made the 7mm scale kit available on his website.

I am presently working on a Dick Kerr Petrol Electric from Worsley Works, and a number of wagons from Wrightlines and Mercian for this layout, such as here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/10010-mercian-models-wdlr-h-class-wagon-kit-7mm/

Wrightlines also do a kit (presently unavailable) for the Baldwin 4-6-0 tank locos, however at the moment we are on our own for the Alcos and Hunslets.

The A, B and C class wagons also need scratchbuilding, and a start has been made on classes B and C. (There aren't many photos of A class wagons.)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=45151

Mike

Hi, I'm the third member of the group building this layout. Here are some of the photos that inspired the layout.

post-8904-126842486179_thumb.jpg

post-8904-126842495131_thumb.jpg

post-8904-12684232483_thumb.jpg

We I won't bore you with to much detail about the baseboards, but we have used open frame boards with extruded polystyrene for the landscape. Hopefully this will allow us to create a shell damaged appearance.

post-8904-126842559244_thumb.jpg

post-8904-126842581722_thumb.jpg

Since taking these photos we have raised the river bed as it didn't look right. I'm currently working on the track partly using techniques developed by John Clutterbuck. I will post some photos soon.

Ben

• Like 5

Do you plan to have a casualty clearing station near the control post? If so will you be placing generic soldiers or members of the 51st Highland Division (The Ladies from Hell)?

Kev

Hi,

No, we won't have a CCS, but, we will run trains of wounded to an offstage CCS.

post-8904-126842853781_thumb.jpg

It is however something that we would consider for a future extension.

Ben

• Like 1

Guest oldlugger

A most unusual layout in the making and very interesting subject matter. Keep the photos and news coming!

Simon

• RMweb Gold

A most unusual layout in the making and very interesting subject matter. Keep the photos and news coming!

Simon

It's been an education seeing strange etched brass kits for really obscure prototypes and laser cut plastic wagons being built over the last few months.

It's looking like this will be a top class layout with the attention to detail these three put into thier projects.

Hi,

Here's a photo of a bridge pier I have constructed for this layout.

post-6837-126886839403_thumb.jpg

This is a test build to make sure the design is right.

We have decided to use slightly smaller timber for the final build bridge piers as we think that the timber used on this test build is a little chunky.

Mike

• Like 1

Where are you sourcing figures from? And have you thought about the remnants of a crashed aircraft somewhere? There's a fair amount of 1:48 figures available, but I don't know about 1:43, although to be fair against narrow gauge stock, the difference isn't as obvious.

It's a rather interesting project, and it's good to see the progress on here.

Keep up the good work

J

• 2 months later...

Here's a couple of photos showing progress so far

post-6837-127602949742.jpg

post-6837-12760295578.jpg

Also all of the track is laid on the traverser and sector plate, some form of track indexing will be the next thing to be added to them, although more track needs to be laid on the scenic section first.

More pics to follow

Mike

• Like 2

Thanks Paul, the track does have a few kinks in it, its not quite as even as the photos imply biggrin.gif

Here's a couple of photos showing the track and point construction using flat bottom rail, timber sleepers and spikes

post-6837-127603246912.jpg

post-6837-127603257947.jpg

Mike

• Like 2

It's really taking shape, and a good looking shape at that! Is that a Kerr-Stuart I see sitting in it's bare metal? That trackwork is rather smart too (if smart is the right word for anything near a battlefield!)

I'm looking forward to seeing it in reality. Was the disc I sent any use?

J

It's really taking shape, and a good looking shape at that! Is that a Kerr-Stuart I see sitting in it's bare metal? That trackwork is rather smart too (if smart is the right word for anything near a battlefield!)

J

Not quite - it's a Dick, Kerr petrol electric. The lightweight appearance of the track is most impressive.

Adam

J

Thanks James, yes the disc was very interesting, there was some good ww1 footage on it.

There's a lot of work needed on the petrol electric, but it runs, allowing us to test the track.

Mike

• 2 months later...

We've made some more progress on the layout today, here is a photo of the first bridge after some more work with my part built 20HP Simplex and a D class wagon for scale:

post-6837-128302202686.jpg

Next a start was made on the second bridge:

post-6837-128302208671.jpg

post-6837-128302214375.jpg

post-6837-128302222035.jpg

post-6837-128302233113.jpg

A large amount of wiring has also been completed under the boards with the DCC bus wires installed along with the inter-board wiring connections for point motors and uncoupling magnets.

Mike

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Hi,

We have made some more progress on the layout, Mike (49395) has been busy building the shoring for the embankment and the jetty.

post-8904-0-80730100-1294322625_thumb.jpg

I've been laying more track, it takes a long time using spikes! Also the electrics are coming on.

post-8904-0-28766400-1294323173_thumb.jpg

Ben

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I'd missed this before but it looks like a fascinating subject, very much under the unusual heading. The timber retaining wall on the river looks like it must have taken a fair while to make but was worth it.

Most impressive - both in terms of execution an choice of subject. I've only seen a couple of similarly themed layouts (both 4mm) before, but this already appears to be setting a new standard.

I'll watch this develop with great interest - crack on chaps!

(PS - If 'Rupert' and 'Rodney' were 2 of the 3 original Officers of the 17th LROD, who was the third? :P )